Hardware Unlimied - by Greg Diaczyk

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Re: Hardware Unlimied - by Greg Diaczyk

Unread post by Razorwing »

I never said there would be no weapon in the book... only that Unlimited isn't likely to be selling them. There are lots of other ways to acquire that kind of "equipment"... legal and otherwise. Just because Unlimited probably won't be in the weapon business doesn't mean they won't have services to offer... and it does leave a "market" open for others to take advantage of.

Just because they are the heroic equivalent of Fabricators Inc. doesn't mean they have to be exactly the same.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

There are weapons in the manuscript, but none are described as being built by Unlimited. For the most part, the weapons in the book are meant as new toys for Hardware builds.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Greg Diaczyk
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

Looks like you need an "official response"....

Unlimited is not a weapons manufacturer and do not as a rule sell weapons to heroes. However they do sell vehicles with weapon's upgrades and they have a weapons design department that helps heroes develop non-lethal weapons for their crime fighting activities.

Hope that help.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Anything on reverse engineering super powers, so you can add them to your own abilities? ?
A Hardware Version of a Mimic.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I'd love it if the upcoming Hardware Unlimited had more of a guide for adding super powers into technological items. The PU2 class of "Super Invention" was a good start to fill that gap, but it's not easily applicable to the Bionics or Robotics classes.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Glistam wrote:I'd love it if the upcoming Hardware Unlimited had more of a guide for adding super powers into technological items. The PU2 class of "Super Invention" was a good start to fill that gap, but it's not easily applicable to the Bionics or Robotics classes.

It's all in the fluff. "Polymorphic alloy" covers a lot of form-alteration powers. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Greg Diaczyk

Take a Mega-Hero!

The official Hardware Unlimited rules (As well as the ones in Rifter #37) allowed you to take a Mega-Power that grants you one gadget that in essence provides you with a single major super power (or three minor super powers). Those with a desire to also invent stuff could also look into the Super Genius Inventor Mega-Hero Power, which lets you build a minor super powered gadget every couple of levels or one major super powered gadget every 6 levels or so.

This would allow your cyborg to have a cloaking device (Invisibility or Chameleon), or your suit of power armor to have a force field (Create Force Fields)

This same logic could also be applied to create a device that needs DNA sampling to extract super powers from super beings granting the Hardware Character or his suit of armor the Mimic power!
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Take a Mega-Hero!

The official Hardware Unlimited rules (As well as the ones in Rifter #37) allowed you to take a Mega-Power that grants you one gadget that in essence provides you with a single major super power (or three minor super powers). Those with a desire to also invent stuff could also look into the Super Genius Inventor Mega-Hero Power, which lets you build a minor super powered gadget every couple of levels or one major super powered gadget every 6 levels or so.

This would allow your cyborg to have a cloaking device (Invisibility or Chameleon), or your suit of power armor to have a force field (Create Force Fields)

This same logic could also be applied to create a device that needs DNA sampling to extract super powers from super beings granting the Hardware Character or his suit of armor the Mimic power!

So only Mega-Heroes should be allowed to have device-based super powers?

Greg Diaczyk

If you player a legal character from start up, then yes.

If you have a GM who likes to play fast and loose with the rules then anything is possible and your character could come across something the GM has created base on a super power using the Mega-Hero option as a guideline for it construction.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Fair enough - at least the option exists this way.

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Looks like you need an "official response"....

Unlimited is not a weapons manufacturer and do not as a rule sell weapons to heroes. However they do sell vehicles with weapon's upgrades and they have a weapons design department that helps heroes develop non-lethal weapons for their crime fighting activities.

Hope that help.

It does, thanks. :)

Different question. 308 pages, that's bigger then the GMs guide, and almost as big as the core rule book, are you going to split that into multipul books? And if so, what size(s)?
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Glistam wrote:

So only Mega-Heroes should be allowed to have device-based super powers?

I agree with Greg's answer, however, keep in mind that you could play a "Super Invention" Power Category and NOT be a Mega. You can even be [per the Super Invention in PU2] a Hardware: Electrical or Mechanical AND still get a Super Invention. Heck, you go really far out and
*Start with Super Invention Power Category
*Roll the PC as the Inventor and start with Hardware: Electrical.
*Following the Hardware rules on taking a 2nd specialty, add in Mechanical.
*Enjoy!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Greg Diaczyk

its 306 pages of raw printed data at 10 point font, Time New Roman.

Switch out to the standard Palladium Books double column, a new font and text size.

There will probably be some cutting, editing and maybe even some additions which may increase or decrease the page count.

Throw in some awesome artwork and table of contents/indexes and you are probably looking at a book about the same size (300 pages) which is less than the Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition which is 352 pages and will probably stay as a single book, with possible any of the cut material showing up in a Rifter or two.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Thank you for the heads up on all this Greg.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Greg Diaczyk wrote:its 306 pages of raw printed data at 10 point font, Time New Roman.

Switch out to the standard Palladium Books double column, a new font and text size.

There will probably be some cutting, editing and maybe even some additions which may increase or decrease the page count.

Throw in some awesome artwork and table of contents/indexes and you are probably looking at a book about the same size (300 pages) which is less than the Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition which is 352 pages and will probably stay as a single book, with possible any of the cut material showing up in a Rifter or two.

Would two or three books, powers unlimited style be an option? It worked well for those books.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Okay, but I charge $2.50 for the plug-down and $0.40 for every fifth of a mile. :P
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
Greg Diaczyk wrote:its 306 pages of raw printed data at 10 point font, Time New Roman.

Would two or three books, powers unlimited style be an option? It worked well for those books.

From what I have read, it would be tough to do this as 3 books... 2 books at best. Though, I would already like to see it as 1 large book.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Is the SuperVehical construction text easier to understand then the text in the HU2MB?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

What is wrong with it in the HU2ed book?
The Artist Formerly
Champion

NMI wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:

From what I have read, it would be tough to do this as 3 books... 2 books at best. Though, I would already like to see it as 1 large book.

308, plus art? Like two GMs guides sizes?
Greg Diaczyk

I hope so! If you saw Rifter #50 & 51 its a revised and expanded version of the Rifts Vehicle Construction Rules

No, once the book has been formatted it drops down the page count by 40% or so, then adding all the pictures bumps it back up to about the same. It really depends upon the book, how many images, maps and the size of the images that are included.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Hope ther some Themed Weapons,maybe rules on how to make weapons follow a themed.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:I hope so! If you saw Rifter #50 & 51 its a revised and expanded version of the Rifts Vehicle Construction Rules

No, once the book has been formatted it drops down the page count by 40% or so, then adding all the pictures bumps it back up to about the same. It really depends upon the book, how many images, maps and the size of the images that are included.

"Optional source material for Rifts"
I saw the vehicle build text written for RIFTS.

Course those are only for ground vehicles.....which was not where the HU2 text breaks down. Besides I already fixed what I found broken in the text I've been writing.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Greg Diaczyk wrote:I hope so! If you saw Rifter #50 & 51 its a revised and expanded version of the Rifts Vehicle Construction Rules

"Optional source material for Rifts"
I saw the vehicle build text written for RIFTS.

Correct. For a portion of HwU, Greg expanded upon that article.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

awesome........ but i feel it needs more Achilles Heels :-)
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

So what do I need to do to get a copy of this book put into my hands?

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Glistam wrote:So what do I need to do to get a copy of this book put into my hands?
Wait. Or, alternatively, build a time machine that will take you to an alternate timeline where the book gets published next month.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Glistam wrote:So what do I need to do to get a copy of this book put into my hands?
Wait. Or, alternatively, build a time machine that will take you to an alternate timeline where the book gets published next month.

Which Rifter Articles were this based on? I've seen the Rifter 37 Mega Hero stuff mentioned, as well as the Rifter 50 and 51 vehicle construction rules. Are there any others? I'm re-invigorated to try to utilize something like this and in the absence of official material, I'll take what's already been limitedly released and construct my own version from that.

Greg Diaczyk

Nope.

Those would be the two (three?)

The rest is all new material. Though technically the ship and submersible stuff was copied too, but Kevin hasn't released the New Navy Book just yet.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

For the last 3 years, every surprise package I order has contained a request for a "Raw Preview Edition of Hardware Unlimited." It still hasn't happened, but I keep trying!

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

It's a noble goal man. :)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Greg Diaczyk

Ok, so a poked Kevin with a friendly reminder about the book and he said he might be able to do a Raw Edition for the Open House this year... but no promises. :D
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Ok, so a poked Kevin with a friendly reminder about the book and he said he might be able to do a Raw Edition for the Open House this year... but no promises. :D

Of course the year I can't go :badbad:
Maybe I can get someone else to get me a copy for my reading pleasure...
and to keep my collection of "one of everything" as complete as possible.

Now that THAT is out of the way...
Can I bounce around in giddy joy at the thought of the possibility that this might be working its way up the pipeline and may see print sooner than latter.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Ok, so a poked Kevin with a friendly reminder about the book and he said he might be able to do a Raw Edition for the Open House this year... but no promises. :D

That would be a-mazing!

Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

mad scientist...
three years...
thank goodness I didn't read this back then

if this takes another three years I may cry
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I will say this. This book regardless if it ends up being 1 or 2 books is absolutely necessary for HU's future. Greg brilliantly found a way to keep HU tech relevant regardless how
many years in the future go by. Right now HU is trapped in 80s tech, not 90s tech, 80s tech. This book solves the tech problems. Some of the issues right now that I'm having with HU
would be solved with the publication of this manuscript. Anyone who comes to the Open House needs to pester Kevin to get this book inserted into the assembly line.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Reagren Wright wrote:I will say this. This book regardless if it ends up being 1 or 2 books is absolutely necessary for HU's future. Greg brilliantly found a way to keep HU tech relevant regardless how
many years in the future go by. Right now HU is trapped in 80s tech, not 90s tech, 80s tech. This book solves the tech problems. Some of the issues right now that I'm having with HU
would be solved with the publication of this manuscript. Anyone who comes to the Open House needs to pester Kevin to get this book inserted into the assembly line.

It makes tech relevant for all the lines. The gear in the other games for the most part is either more 80's stuff, or just edging into the 90's.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Reagren Wright wrote:I will say this. This book regardless if it ends up being 1 or 2 books is absolutely necessary for HU's future. Greg brilliantly found a way to keep HU tech relevant regardless how

I will definitely pester!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Still no word as to when to expect this book? Yet another book in developmental Limbo. :(
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Razorwing wrote:Still no word as to when to expect this book? Yet another book in developmental Limbo. :(

Well at least it has plenty of company. I mean that is one crowded celestial realm.

I'm hoping that if we keep posting we can at least get them to release a Raw Preview Edition for this book.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Speaking of...uh...Palladium development hell...

Is there a list of all the stuff that is supposed to have happened? I kind of want a list so as they begin to see the light of day, I will know that the end of world approaches.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

eliakon wrote:

It makes tech relevant for all the lines. The gear in the other games for the most part is either more 80's stuff, or just edging into the 90's.
I'm so tired of having to update tech to make it relevant to today. This book would definitely be welcome.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
slade the sniper
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
eliakon wrote:

I'm so tired of having to update tech to make it relevant to today. This book would definitely be welcome.

Since all the books are compatible, could you not just start to add in stuff from Robotech, Chaos Earth and Rifts? The newer books add in great options for making cutting edge stuff for HU. What I usually do is use the old rules to make the thing, then just use the newer books to add in the capabilities such as the increased range, damage, SDC, etc.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

slade the sniper wrote:Since all the books are compatible, could you not just start to add in stuff from Robotech, Chaos Earth and Rifts? The newer books add in great options for making cutting edge stuff for HU. What I usually do is use the old rules to make the thing, then just use the newer books to add in the capabilities such as the increased range, damage, SDC, etc.

-STS
I'd rather have it in one book and not have to buy a bunch of Rifts books i will never use otherwise.
slade the sniper
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:Since all the books are compatible, could you not just start to add in stuff from Robotech, Chaos Earth and Rifts? The newer books add in great options for making cutting edge stuff for HU. What I usually do is use the old rules to make the thing, then just use the newer books to add in the capabilities such as the increased range, damage, SDC, etc.

-STS
I'd rather have it in one book and not have to buy a bunch of Rifts books i will never use otherwise.

That is perfectly logical. It isn't like the stuff in Rifts is all in one book either... I guess the best we can do is the Hardware sticky and the Black Vault. jamyz has some stuff on his wiki, and there is always kitsune. Now I am sad :(

-STS
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

slade the sniper wrote:I guess the best we can do is the Hardware sticky and the Black Vault. jamyz has some stuff on his wiki, and there is always kitsune. Now I am sad :(

-STS
Thank you for the Black Vault Wiki mention. I am glad some people are still using it.
slade the sniper
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:I guess the best we can do is the Hardware sticky and the Black Vault. jamyz has some stuff on his wiki, and there is always kitsune. Now I am sad :(

-STS
Thank you for the Black Vault Wiki mention. I am glad some people are still using it.

You are welcome. Of course I use the Black Vault (who doesn't?)...it is where I go for Palladium stuff. Be aware there is another Black Vault for all sorts of paranoid conspiracies gained via FOIA if you want stuff for other Palladium games...

-STS

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”