Open House Tournament?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PATACK
D-Bee

Open House Tournament?

Unread post by PATACK »

Am I missing it, or is there really no discussion / commentary on how the tourney went at the Open House?

How many people played? Who won and with what kind of force? How long did the games take to play? What kind of questions came up concerning rules? What kind of interesting tactics did players use?

Anything...?
Forar
Hero

Re: Open House Tournament?

Unread post by Forar »

I wasn't there, but from what I've gathered, they had 20 slots open, and had 12 entrants that played (no idea how many tickets were sold and not redeemed, as they were very specific about no refunds being given).
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

To add to Forar's post, I believe Christopher Ings won the triple crown (best painted, best general, best overall), with an RDF complete Destroid Force, with a backup Veri force for the space based table.

It's kind of weird that there's been no post mortem of the OH Tourney, but then again, we really didn't get one for Adepticon either. And I don't think they're doing a proper tourney for GenCon, so that'll be three opportunities they've failed to take advantage of.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Correct, there will not be a Gencon tournament this year. Possibly next year, and there are events at GC (which have sold out their allotted space), but no tournament.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

My record was 1 win, 1 tie, and 4 loses. Got curb stomped most of the time because it was my first time playing the game. I did have fun though.
rosco60559
Explorer

Unread post by rosco60559 »

Alpha what were you playing? What were the other armies involved?
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

If you want more details just go over to the murmurs section of the forums. There's a whole books worth of painstaking details down to the hour of what went down at the open house. And no I'm not using hyperbole. I only hope the super dope, super secret members only update to end all updates will be as informative. It's been built up so much I'm setting my expectations on low.
PATACK
D-Bee

Unread post by PATACK »

I'm just curious if you could get that many folks together for an event that ALL understood the rules the same way. I can't get 3 of us at a table with a common understanding on some key items!

Too bad there is not some sort of official rundown as I'm not inclined to read the uber-updates by individuals as Kryptt mentions.
Alpha 11
Palladin

rosco60559 wrote:Alpha what were you playing? What were the other armies involved?

I was RDF. Had 2 VF squadrons, and an area denial squadron. Had Max in one squad, and Miriya in another. I misunderstood the rules, so that is why I had them that way. If I hadn't the misunderstanding, they would have been in the same squad. Because of the way I had them, they got killed off really easy in several games. IIRR, there were 2 Malcantent Armies, 1 Zentradie, and the rest were RDF. There were a lot of Destoids. Sorry its late here, but I will try to give more info in the future.
CaptKaruthors
Explorer

Unread post by CaptKaruthors »

How can you get Miriya and Max in the same squad? Do you upgrade only one to a VF-1J and the other is only a VF-1A?
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I believe that's the case.

It drives some people crazy that, Rules As Written, you cannot field them both in J's in the same squad.
CaptKaruthors
Explorer

Yeah that's lame. They need to make a core card of a Valkyrie Ace wing or something. Basically an elite squadron of veritechs that are, at minimum, all VF-Js. This would allow you to field a squadron with max and miriya and add Rick as your special as skull leader.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Well, my understanding is that the variants are basically rank identifiers. A's go to the grunts, J's go to the Lt's/lower officers, the S(es) go to the highest ranking officer(s).

Having 2 J's in the same squad is somewhere that the 'fluff' and the 'crunch' (the story/series and the mechanics of the game) come into conflict.

Of course, this could be resolved by having a more flexible force construction method, or hell even just a J as a Support card option or something else. Or hell, even a special rule/version for one or both of them that allows for an additional point cost to enhance an A to a J.

Or just upgrade two of the A's to R's. Not quite 'screen accurate', but at least one of them isn't left in an A (the shame).
Alpha 11
Palladin

Forar wrote:Well, my understanding is that the variants are basically rank identifiers. A's go to the grunts, J's go to the Lt's/lower officers, the S(es) go to the highest ranking officer(s).

Having 2 J's in the same squad is somewhere that the 'fluff' and the 'crunch' (the story/series and the mechanics of the game) come into conflict.

Of course, this could be resolved by having a more flexible force construction method, or hell even just a J as a Support card option or something else. Or hell, even a special rule/version for one or both of them that allows for an additional point cost to enhance an A to a J.

Or just upgrade two of the A's to R's. Not quite 'screen accurate', but at least one of them isn't left in an A (the shame).

Unforinitly, they can't pilot an R. They can only pilot what is one their card, and that isn't one of them. Maybe in the advance rules, they will have that flexibility.
BradyTech
D-Bee

Unread post by BradyTech »

I went over to the Murmurs section and skimmed through Kevin's posts. I went through several of the attendee topics and, frankly, came up empty with details about the tourney. I know Christopher Ings won the tourney and with the best-painted Army to boot. Congratulations, Chris!

My impression is that the tourney was as much teaching/learning the game as playing it—which is good. Nothing encourages redoubling effort in learning the game like seeing the inventive things people come up with in applying the rules.

I see there was one Zentraedi player, two Malc's(!), and nine UEDF players? I would have guessed seeing a lot of "blue-on-blue" games...but not that many! I've read plenty of posts on the forums advertising how awesome the Zents are (really!) and I guess...well, the numbers speak for themselves. Zents are at their awesomest when the Malcs have Valks!

Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to the models in Wave Two. Personally, I think Palladium did a great job with the models in Wave One. And I'm glad they were such a big hit at the Open House that folks marveled at the number of sharp-looking Armies that the players fielded.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

I have been crazy busy lately... I would be most happy to post a post mortem of the tourney as soon as I get the chance.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
BradyTech
D-Bee

Unread post by BradyTech »

Yikes! "Post mortem" makes it sound like the game is dead! Most (war)gamers I roll dice with would call it an "after-action report." Something more neutral and business-like would "lessons learned" or "wrap-up." :)
Alpha 11
Palladin

BradyTech wrote:Yikes! "Post mortem" makes it sound like the game is dead! Most (war)gamers I roll dice with would call it an "after-action report." Something more neutral and business-like would "lessons learned" or "wrap-up." :)

A lot of war gamers also call them, battle reports.
CaptKaruthors
Explorer

Anyone have extensive pictures of the games anywhere?
Alpha 11
Palladin

CaptKaruthors wrote:Anyone have extensive pictures of the games anywhere?

I got video from my point of view. Will try to upload some this weekend.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Uploading first video to YouTube now. It will take a while. I don't have the best connection, and it will be raw, no editing. Hopefully nothing will go wrong with the uploading and I don't have to start over.
Alpha 11
Palladin

While it was uploading, went and saw Avengers 2. Great movie. Anyways, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCit3o3 ... e=youtu.be

If you're wandering, when you do get a chance to see me in the video, I'm "in costume" for the tournament. Well, the closest I could come, anyways. Just some BDU's and a camo hat.

Just realized that the actually game play starts were the clip ends. So will attempt to load anther one.
Alpha 11
Palladin

:badbad: :frust: Sorry, it took most of the night, after I went to bed, to get this stupid thing uploaded. But here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPrzHU ... e=youtu.be
Alpha 11
Palladin

Well..., its going to take another 3 hours or so to upload the next video. And its been going for several hours already. So it looks like I'll post the link tommarrow.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Link to 3rd video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXZNkcxCFbU

Will try and get another one up this next weekend.
Alpha 11
Palladin

I'm at a friends house right now, and the upload is FAST!! :D Here is the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gsDaKd ... e=youtu.be
Alpha 11
Palladin

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Thanks! I may have to Raw video as well, as I am having codec issues.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Alpha 11
Palladin

zyanitevp wrote:Thanks! I may have to Raw video as well, as I am having codec issues.

No problem. Will be putting the next game up, most likely, next weekend.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”