Host Armor "Suiting Up"?

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Host Armor "Suiting Up"?

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

I'm curious about the "guts" that you get into.

Do you get in and "bladders" expand to form complete contact with you, or do you squeeze organs like Starbuck flying a new Cylon Raider, or something else?

Do you need to be naked to have optimal contact with the HA, or do you wear clothes? If you wear clothes, how does the HA process your waste (is it messy)? :eek:

Can you wear Living Armor while in the Host Armor? (I would think not, but I'm asking)

Is it a "one person operation" or do you need a crew of assistants to get in/out? About how long to get in/out?

I'm loving Splicers and want to get a better feel for it. More questions in another thread later. Thanks.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Host Armor "Suiting Up"?

Unread post by Shark_Force »

a lot of this is left up to individual GMs.

given it is customized for you, i wouldn't be surprised if you will just fit in perfectly, with only minimal allowance for adjustment in the armour. i would tend to agree that you're not going to be wearing living armour inside, and would suspect that light clothes are possible but not necessarily recommended. most host armours don't provide you with food or water, so i would suspect that they are not designed to process your waste, because you're generally not expected to be in them for that long anyways for those that do provide food, i would expect a full hookup system that would pretty much destroy any clothing covering the necessary orifices and would be extremely uncomfortable if you had clothing in such locations before suiting up. i would expect it is a one-person operation, and probably doesn't take long to get in or out... probably a melee round or so, imo (which is extremely fast for a suit of armour).
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Premier's art seems to favor the 'nude' mode for Dreadguard, or at most light swimsuit-style gear that is easily pushed aside for any connections, neural linkages, or plumbing.
Personally I imagine that since Host Armor is worn like an extension of the wearer, rather than a shell like a Rifts power armor or robot, it's a lot more creepy-intimate that tech-armor, with a lot of squirming, palpitating, pulsing bio-material in skin-on-skin contact...not for the faint of heart if you hate, for example, being covered in worms or the claustrophobic confines of a crowd. To the uninitiated, getting into a Host Armor can look and feel like being devoured.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Actually, according to the description, one does indeed need to be nude to suit up in a Host Armor (though I usually allowed bikini/speedo-like outfits to be worn to preserve modesty). There is a neurolytic gel (lovingly referred to as "wonder snot" that helps make the connection between pilot and armor. From the description, it would seem like wearing the suit feels very much like wearing a diving suit in how it clings to the body... sort of like a full body glove. Thanks to the connections, one actually senses everything the suit senses... you see through its eyes... feel with its own sense of touch... the weapons respond to your very thoughts. In all respects, wearing the Host Armor doesn't feel like wearing armor, but rather feels like the armor is a part of you.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Yup by cannon as per the book you need to be naked when you enter into your host armor. I am guessing a bikini or shorts would not be used simply as then the "hookups" would not work for um waste removal. It talks about host armor wearers have to get used to suiting up and off and getting used to being nude around others.

I would guess for people in host armor doing recons to places like retro villages they have a pack containing normal clothing so they can enter and leave without looking like something from a nightmare freaking the locals out and alerting the machine.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Yup, you are right. It's naked. Apparently I read that and then forgot. Thank you and sorry for my goof.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

It is part of fun/horror of utilizing biological systems of this nature. Its not like you are just putting on a suit of armor or clothing its a much more biological process which is not a thing everybody is going to handle well. Its probably part of the selection criteria of dreadlords and others using host armor can you actually tolerate the process required to integrate yourself with the armor without freaking the heck out.

For those who can't there are things like the proto dreadlord armor which winds up being much more similar to normal power armor or things like the non host bio armors which are worn more like normal clothing.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah, I kinda figured that naked made the most sense. Maybe I'm twisted, but I think that makes it cooler for the game. Have a pack for a towel and park near water.

By the way, are the water bodies safe or did the Machine purposefully pollute them or make them toxic for humans without purification?
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I would say yes nude, you have to slide into the armor. Once inside and sealed up YOU are the armor.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

boxee wrote:I would say yes nude, you have to slide into the armor. Once inside and sealed up YOU are the armor.

Agreed.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Razorwing
Hero

The thing about bikini/speedo like coverings to preserve modesty is that they are fairly easy to move out of the way to allow for any needed "hook-ups". I find that while their characters may have adapted to the modesty issues of the setting, the players themselves usually haven't and don't usually want to think about such things (especially if playing with younger players).

It is a simple concession to modern modesty concerns... and really shouldn't make that much of a difference to the game overall.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
The Galactus Kid

You're right, but in the setting as i see it, most modesty has gone right out the window.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The Galactus Kid wrote:You're right, but in the setting as i see it, most modesty has gone right out the window.

And there are enough cultures already around where some public nudity is totally normal such as saunas in Scandinavian countries and bath houses in middle eastern countries and oriental countries. Suiting up into large bio organic warmachines probably takes any sexy thoughts out pretty quick.
The Galactus Kid

kaid wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:You're right, but in the setting as i see it, most modesty has gone right out the window.

Suiting up into large bio organic warmachines probably takes any sexy thoughts out pretty quick.

lol. Agreed!

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

The Galactus Kid wrote:
kaid wrote:

Suiting up into large bio organic warmachines probably takes any sexy thoughts out pretty quick.

lol. Agreed!

I don't know. Some people like the thought of getting all gooey. :twisted:
Razorwing
Hero

You are right... there are many cultures where people are like that. Unfortunately, no one from those cultures play in my games. I am unfortunately stuck playing with people from North America where the majority of people are a little more... inhibited when it comes to nudity (even fictional nudity). It is for these individuals that I make the concession for the modesty of their characters. Yes, their characters may not be bothered by nudity, but the players can be, so why force the issue by insisting they deal with it?
The Galactus Kid

You don't have to go into detail or anything regarding the nudity, but you can explain that is just how it is. It has come up literally one time in the decade I've been playing this game, and that is only because of the situation the players found themselves in was not of their own design.

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Remember the scene in Ace Ventura 2 where he squeezes out of the rhino's butt? It's like that, but in reverse.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The Galactus Kid wrote:You don't have to go into detail or anything regarding the nudity, but you can explain that is just how it is. It has come up literally one time in the decade I've been playing this game, and that is only because of the situation the players found themselves in was not of their own design.

Yup in the games I have played unsuiting from the armor tended to be in a "locker room" situation which seemed to work as a good enough mental picture for folks not to get to uncomfortable with.
Razorwing
Hero

Not as easy to do when the players are based out of Bao House on the edge of their House's territory.
The Galactus Kid

Razorwing wrote:Not as easy to do when the players are based out of Bao House on the edge of their House's territory.

Truth. Then things get real friendly, real quick.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

If you are living in a bao house host armor or not you better get pretty okay with having very little personal privacy.
Razorwing
Hero

All I'm saying is that I am playing to the modesty my players feel comfortable with. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of their characters being naked in front of each other... even if it is just for long enough to get into or out of their Host Armor. In time, maybe my players will become more comfortable with the idea, but until then, why make them uncomfortable while playing a game that is supposed to be fun?

And then there is the occasional player who just can't seem to get their mind out of the gutter whenever this little fact comes up in the game. Why encourage them to be immature when there is little need for it?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

so they go into the bao house (or behind some bushes, or rocks, or whatever) one at a time and get changed.
Razorwing
Hero

Or I can just let them wear bikini/speedo type clothing while inside Host Armor. It really is the simplest solution that allows my players to focus more on their actions in the game rather than worry about what their characters aren't wearing.

The bigger question is... why is everyone trying to convince me to change what my group finds more comfortable? True, no one has actually come out and said my group "has" to change... but by offering so many creative alternatives, the implied intent is to convince me to have my group change to fit your views of the game. That may not have been what you wanted to say... but that is the way it feels... especially when everyone keeps on giving more creative suggestions on how we can change the way we game to be more in line with how the rest of you choose to play.

I never came here to debate how my group chooses to deal with the nudity issue in regard to Host Armors... merely to answer the OPs questions... both as the rules are actually written and how many groups have dealt with this issue (which even in out enlightened times can still be a sensitive issue).

The point is... this is how my group has chosen to play, and that really is the end of the discussion. While the alternatives you have suggested are creative (and work for your groups), I never asked for any suggestions on how to convince my players to change what they are comfortable with.
The Galactus Kid

Razorwing wrote:Or I can just let them wear bikini/speedo type clothing while inside Host Armor. It really is the simplest solution that allows my players to focus more on their actions in the game rather than worry about what their characters aren't wearing.

The bigger question is... why is everyone trying to convince me to change what my group finds more comfortable? True, no one has actually come out and said my group "has" to change... but by offering so many creative alternatives, the implied intent is to convince me to have my group change to fit your views of the game. That may not have been what you wanted to say... but that is the way it feels... especially when everyone keeps on giving more creative suggestions on how we can change the way we game to be more in line with how the rest of you choose to play.

I never came here to debate how my group chooses to deal with the nudity issue in regard to Host Armors... merely to answer the OPs questions... both as the rules are actually written and how many groups have dealt with this issue (which even in out enlightened times can still be a sensitive issue).

The point is... this is how my group has chosen to play, and that really is the end of the discussion. While the alternatives you have suggested are creative (and work for your groups), I never asked for any suggestions on how to convince my players to change what they are comfortable with.

I agree with you. I'm not trying to convince you to change how your group plays. My main point is that no motter how it is run, it probably isn't or shouldn't be a point of contention anyway since it may rarely come up. Everyone runs their games differently and tells their stories with various levels of detail ranging from broad descriptions or detailed minutia. As long as you and your group are having fun and found a tweak to the rules or setting that works for you, that is all that matters. I'm glad that you all are playing the game and if there is anything that you all need, I'd be happy to help if i can.

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Razorwing wrote:Or I can just let them wear bikini/speedo type clothing while inside Host Armor. It really is the simplest solution that allows my players to focus more on their actions in the game rather than worry about what their characters aren't wearing.

As long as the players are wearing bikinis and under pants only I cant really see that affecting the connection required.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Remember the scene in Ace Ventura 2 where he squeezes out of the rhino's butt? It's like that, but in reverse.

Nice mental picture there. Sorry, I'm not crawling up anything's but. Even if it's my Host Armor. There's a "hatch" for that.

As for how to play it, that's up to individuals to figure out. I've found that when you get the "frat house" attitude, it's usually from a male character. When an NPC (preferably female for this scenario) walks up grabs him by the jewels and squeezes until something crushes (no save) :eek: , that attitude usually ends. :D YMMV
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

For Most Great Houses its Boys to the left behind the trees and bushes, girls behind the rocks or in the lake to change :lol:

Seriously, Rather its a new form of neuro snot bikini/shorts or a full body neuro-snot jelly swimsuit that resembles the coolest scuba divers suit that helps a speedy slip into the HA and passes the neural connection seamlessly, it's what works best for YOUR games and the group in question. If young players are in attendance and their are slight concerns go ahead and avoid the bikini as wall and just make it an opaque jelly scuba suit and there is nothing to envision/distract PCs even in a swimsuit aspect.

For canon answers, though, it does state nude.

I do believe the point of this is that the characters are truly vulnerable when not in their HA suits and there is very little more that one can feel than being nude in the field, teaming with deadly machines, metal shrapnel and alien predators to make you feel vulnerable.

I'm all for a SPLICERS Walmarts within havens that sale NEW neuro snot koolaid colored full body swimsuits.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I may have missed it, but how does the armor 'enclose' the user? Does it simply crawl up/around the pilot, similar to the 'briefcase armor' seen in Iron Man 2? Or does it suddenly splay itself out, connected by muscle-tendrils & slap down on the wearer, like in the live action version of The Guyver?
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

BookWyrm wrote:I may have missed it, but how does the armor 'enclose' the user? Does it simply crawl up/around the pilot, similar to the 'briefcase armor' seen in Iron Man 2? Or does it suddenly splay itself out, connected by muscle-tendrils & slap down on the wearer, like in the live action version of The Guyver?

I don't know what The Guyver is, but my mental image is that it is kind of a meat snuggie. It opens up in the back (or front if you like) you get in/put it on and it seals up around you like a time lapse of a wound closing.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I always had the impression they sort of rolled up when not in use and then when you needed to merge you would get close and then they would just unfold to enwrap you inside them.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Looking at the artwork by Premier and others, it looks to me like there is a "hatch" of some kind that you climb into. The HA seems to have some rigidity in it to hold it in place when not being worn. A lot of the artwork seems to me to be like a chitinous or rhino hide type "skin". The opening to get it/out would be like a plate that can open/close to let you access the HA, or maybe something like a ribcage and skin that pulls apart for the same effect? I personally don't see HA rolling up when not in use because of the size of it and the weapons grown into it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly, i'd imagine something like the Bio-suits the 'greys' used in Independence Day

that the Host Armors were engineered to open up along certain points the way a tech suit of power armor would, so the user can enter an exit. and that while inside the suit makes mental contact so the wearer doesn't have to move to control it.

a more recent example of what some of the smaller less monsterous suits might look like can be found in Prometheus.. the 'space jocky' suits the engineer aliens used.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly, i'd imagine something like the Bio-suits the 'greys' used in Independence Day

that the Host Armors were engineered to open up along certain points the way a tech suit of power armor would, so the user can enter an exit. and that while inside the suit makes mental contact so the wearer doesn't have to move to control it.

a more recent example of what some of the smaller less monsterous suits might look like can be found in Prometheus.. the 'space jocky' suits the engineer aliens used.

I've been thinking about this for a while. This is probably the only way they could work: human in the torso (maybe in the fetal position). Ergonomically, the HA would not be able to move or more likely break the pilot's bones whenever it did move. Joints must match joints. It would be the same problem as has been pointed out with Glitterboys in the past. But this is make believe, so whatever works. :D
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

taalismn wrote:Premier's art seems to favor the 'nude' mode for Dreadguard, or at most light swimsuit-style gear that is easily pushed aside for any connections, neural linkages, or plumbing.

There was some excellent Rifter Swimsuit art along these lines, forget what issue.

I think if you are wearing clothing, the armor will destroy it, or rip massive holes all over the place, to get to your skin.

If anyone has seen the part in the 1986 anime OVA "Guyver: Out of Control" where Valkyria F. Lisker transforms into Guyver II for the first time, this is exactly how I envision Splicers armor working. :heart:

taalismn wrote:I imagine that since Host Armor is worn like an extension of the wearer, rather than a shell like a Rifts power armor or robot, it's a lot more creepy-intimate that tech-armor, with a lot of squirming, palpitating, pulsing bio-material in skin-on-skin contact...not for the faint of heart if you hate, for example, being covered in worms or the claustrophobic confines of a crowd. To the uninitiated, getting into a Host Armor can look and feel like being devoured.

Guess why I think an Apok's mask can't be removed when it's on? :demon:

Related: the logo at the start of the Wormwood comic.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Splicers®”