Comedy campaign Advice/help

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Comedy campaign Advice/help

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

So my group and I only get together once a month due to life... I have been pushing for trying out Roll20 to allow us to play every other week or so in addition to our regular game. We are trying a more comedic style bandit D&D 5th game. We are going to be going RobinHood Men in Tights and Princess Bride combined.

So my question is... Anyone have any tips/advice for Roll20 or comedy style adventures?
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Comedy campaign Advice/help

Changed the name around to try and get a little bit of a response...

I started a 1-20 table of comedic critical failures.... I am hoping to work the table up with my group so that we all ahve something funny in the campaign. T

This is our first attempt at a not totally serious campaign. I wanted to do this because our regular GM does nothing but LEGENDARY style campaigns and we never finish them (He has one that is still "going" and has been for the last 10-12 years). PLus I think this could be a fun way to try to relax a little at the table...
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Have you looked into any of the old Hackmaster stuff? Their fantasy games are custom-made for comedy.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

filo_clarke wrote:Have you looked into any of the old Hackmaster stuff? Their fantasy games are custom-made for comedy.

I have never heard of hackmaster so I will have to look into that
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

He's right. Hackmaster 4th edition (HM4) would be perfect for your purpose. Check out the old volumes of HM4's Hacklopedia of Beast. They've got things that can be funny, but will also have your PCs running for their mommies. Things like groin leaches and the dreaded Samurai Jackals (those buggers almost took out my whole party once, we were running frantically for our lives!). There's funny things about honor system and spells like 'Skipping-Betty and Nuclear Winter Fireball.'

You can play HM4 seriously if you like, but it's super easy for it to be run funny. Make sure it's the old HM4 because the new HM is not funny. The new HM and HM Basic stuff is super serious and gritty (and one heck of a good game too).
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Well we are running a D&D 5th campaign... so I am just going to steal ideas to put into it.. but I think it can work
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Never hurts to sprinkle in some Monty Python either
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Smlawrence8 wrote:Well we are running a D&D 5th campaign... so I am just going to steal ideas to put into it.. but I think it can work

HM4's base rules are based on like 2nd edition or something, so it should just take a little bit to make it work with 5th.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

I've always put some level of comedy into my campaigns. Usually, it's some inside joke amongst friends, Monty Python reference (or other "corny" movie like Princess Bride or Your Highness), or just something silly when somebody rolls a 1. Something I have as a house rule is a natural 42 on a skill roll is an automatic stunning success! Even if it's something that should be near impossible with like a 1% or 2% chance. Had a Character that wanted to do a somersault jump into a huge crater to attack a dragon with a Battle Fury battleaxe strike to the head: I made him roll for the somersault and he rolled a natural 42 followed by a natural 20! The description of what happened was something like: You do a triple lutz off the ledge, flipping 6 times and cleave the dragon's head in two all the way down it's neck to it's body, killing it. The Character stepped out of the goo and put his hands on his hips and proclaimed: "I'm here to save the day!" to the rest of the party. Half were laughing their but's off, the others were throwing stuff at the player! The PC's can also take care of a lot of the comedy too!
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).

Return to “G.M.s Forum”