a question for mt fellow gm's

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

a question for mt fellow gm's

Unread post by say652 »

Dimension crossing characters. How do y'all feel about a swirling mix of chaos caused by characters from different Palladium books or books you personally view as overpowered?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: a question for mt fellow gm's

Unread post by eliakon »

I tend to allow characters, in my Rifts games at least, to be from different game lines.

HOWEVER I make a person use the books for that line to make them. This prevents things (such as I have been asked/offered) A Biotic from Splicers with Super Powers and the Half Wizard template; a Zentradi Dedicated Martial Artist with major psionics; and other such stuff.

I allow some bleed through on a case by case basis but in general I don't allow 'a la carte' shopping all the games and lines for the best possible build.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Thats the exact stuff I like to see. Lol.

Seriously though I dont see a problem with cross booking characters or stacking as I call it.

I like the weird variety and different spins on things.
I guess player creativity is important to me.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Player creativity is important to me too. If the player comes up with a great concept, one that they identify with and have a great story for, then I'm inclined to allow them to make the character.

If they come up with their "great story" to explain away the massive amount of nonsense their character can do, I tend to talk them down a little bit without taking away the essence of the what the character is. It's fine to play something that's naturally MDC, it's fine to have special, perhaps even unique powers. However, someone wants to play a megahero immortal something or other in one of my games, their challenges aren't going to be of a combat nature (they will be in combat, sure, just won't be a challenge for them for the most part). Instead, I'll go comic book on them. Their challenges will be things like, "how do I deal with being so different from everyone else, even in a world full of monsters?" and maybe a little, "What good are my powers if I can't save the people I love?" or if the're evil/selfish, "Why do these fools stand against me when they know they'll die? They should just worship me! Fools!" and trying to figure out how to deal with those issues.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:Thats the exact stuff I like to see. Lol.

Seriously though I dont see a problem with cross booking characters or stacking as I call it.

I like the weird variety and different spins on things.
I guess player creativity is important to me.

That is where the "on a case by case basis" comes in
If the player came to me and said I have this cool idea. I want a Zentradi Demon Queller so that I can go all Attack of the 50' whatever and wrestle ancient dragons and Kaiju" I would say "That sounds cool, make it so."
If the player comes to me and says "I want to make a 1st edition physical training, and then since I get all physical skills I stacked on the additional thirty some odd physical skills that have come out for every game since" I would say :badbad: and reach for my Munch-Bat.

The first is creative and thus good. The second is just trying to abuse things and is bad.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

say652 wrote:Dimension crossing characters. How do y'all feel about a swirling mix of chaos caused by characters from different Palladium books or books you personally view as overpowered?

Some OCC and Race combinations can be a little overpowering, but in general if the GM keeps an eye on things they can keep a balance on things. The group I game with has played an open megaverse game for many years and for the most part it has worked well.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am still iffy about supers having magic or psionics but if their power category allows it fine. Other than that. No.
I am also not big on equipment or magic items. Kind of a gear scrooge.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:I am still iffy about supers having magic or psionics but if their power category allows it fine. Other than that. No.
I am also not big on equipment or magic items. Kind of a gear scrooge.

There is plenty of precedent for not allowing both magic and psi (CR1r in fact says that you cant combine the two....of course they have several races in AU that have racial super powers and produce mages so :badbad: )

For combining psi and magic HU2 even lets you do that as part of the basic roll up so I would say that there is nothing intrinsically wrong about it....just that it needs to be monitored.

Gear is tricky because what is reasonable starting gear in one game is game breaking overkill in another....and they can be the same character, same players and same GM!

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Yea I don't allow characters to run around with four or five greater rune weapons, loaded with tw devices ir having every spiffed out hightech blaster in the game.

I do allow crazy powerful characters just not well equipped ones.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:Yea I don't allow characters to run around with four or five greater rune weapons, loaded with tw devices ir having every spiffed out hightech blaster in the game.

That sounds like the last Rifts game I played in!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

See everyone has their own inner munchkin. Gm's too.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:See everyone has their own inner munchkin. Gm's too.

You have no idea...
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

If the player was excited about a character concept, even if it was not book legal, I generally found a way to allow it unless it would cause a problem for the other players. The other GM's also did this to varying degrees.

Back in the day, the players would spend more time negotiating with each other than the GM because if all the players were cool with a character, the GM vary rarely did more than tweak it before allowing it into the game.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Crow Splat
Explorer

Unread post by Crow Splat »

flatline wrote:If the player was excited about a character concept, even if it was not book legal, I generally found a way to allow it unless it would cause a problem for the other players. The other GM's also did this to varying degrees.

Back in the day, the players would spend more time negotiating with each other than the GM because if all the players were cool with a character, the GM vary rarely did more than tweak it before allowing it into the game.

--flatline

I had a GM years ago that would have a 1 on 1 conversation with each player about their backstory and details. The general rule was you can make whatever character you want, you just need to have a story for it.

The cool part about that campaign was everyone was invested on their characters. Even in the first session, the characters were more than just numbers on a sheet of paper because we had put more thought into it.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

say652 wrote:Dimension crossing characters. How do y'all feel about a swirling mix of chaos caused by characters from different Palladium books or books you personally view as overpowered?

The highlighted portion could quite literally be used as a the definition of the game I run.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I go by a campaign or adventure basis. If a character or book is too powerful, or simply wrong for what I have in mind, I don't allow it.
Really, I usually just go with "You can use anything in these x books..."

OR I just let people make whatever they want, and do things on the fly,
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I say bring your quasilegal worst, as gm I have final say on equipment. In fact I will issue you gear leave that part blank.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

say652 wrote:I say bring your quasilegal worst, as gm I have final say on equipment. In fact I will issue you gear leave that part blank.

So in your games a PA pilot cant even choose his PA, a Robot Pilot cannot choose his Robot? A mercenary soldier cannot choose his preferred body armour or rifle?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

eliakon wrote:I tend to allow characters, in my Rifts games at least, to be from different game lines.

HOWEVER I make a person use the books for that line to make them. This prevents things (such as I have been asked/offered) A Biotic from Splicers with Super Powers and the Half Wizard template; a Zentraedi Dedicated Martial Artist with major psionics; and other such stuff.

I allow some bleed through on a case by case basis but in general I don't allow 'a la carte' shopping all the games and lines for the best possible build.

something similar to this. Thou I'd use much more blunt words about how not to proceed in char creation.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

13eowulf wrote:
say652 wrote:I say bring your quasilegal worst, as gm I have final say on equipment. In fact I will issue you gear leave that part blank.

So in your games a PA pilot cant even choose his PA, a Robot Pilot cannot choose his Robot? A mercenary soldier cannot choose his preferred body armour or rifle?

Correct.

But I didn't nerf their occ and bone them out of a few thousand mdc, I don't get many complaints.

Warning: Warning for trolling.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

say652 wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Correct.

But I didn't nerf their occ and bone them out of a few thousand mdc, I don't get many complaints.

It feels like you are trying to say something specific here, if you could perhaps be a little clearer.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Its the gear not the occ that should be regulated, watch any survival show.
A knife or a rope is like a gift from god.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

say652 wrote:Its the gear not the occ that should be regulated, watch any survival show.
A knife or a rope is like a gift from god.

Ok, that doesnt explain the rest of your comment

say652 wrote:But I didn't nerf their occ and bone them out of a few thousand mdc

This seems to be an attack/accusation of sorts.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Just a question here.....
but it seems that the idea of 'player creativity is important' and 'but all your gear and items are issued to you, you don't get any say in it at all' seem to be sort of mutually exclusive....

Return to “G.M.s Forum”