Looking for a mapping program

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kargan3033
Hero

Looking for a mapping program

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

Do any of you know where I can download a free and easy to use mapping program like the one PB uses for their maps, ship's deck plans?

I'd draw my own maps but I draw so badly that my stick figures look like the victim of an attack of rabid, mutant hemorrhoids from hell. :eek: :lol:

Thanks for your help.
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Looking for a mapping program

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Kargan3033 wrote:Do any of you know where I can download a free and easy to use mapping program like the one PB uses for their maps, ship's deck plans?

I'd draw my own maps but I draw so badly that my stick figures look like the victim of an attack of rabid, mutant hemorrhoids from hell. :eek: :lol:

Thanks for your help.

Sadly all the mapping programs I know cost hundreds of dollars.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Kargan3033 wrote:Do any of you know where I can download a free and easy to use mapping program like the one PB uses for their maps, ship's deck plans?

Thanks for your help.

MS-Paint (or Open Source Equivalents)? It comes bundled w/the Windows OS (and Linux its easy enough to install a package for something similar). The results may not be as pretty, but they likely would be better than free-style.

You might want to check some open source distribution sites, they might have something that you could use to similar effect.

CAD software might be another option (and there are Open Source/Shareware versions out there), in addition to numerous graphics programs (MS-Paint, Photoshop, GIMP, etc) would be another.

These solutions also allow you to create sub-files of repeated objects/icons that you can duplicate endlessly.

Another option is to look for Modular Map Tiles for hardcopy. You can pay for production versions (store or online) or there are free versions on-line that you'd have to print out. Its pure hard copy, and might be more limited depending on how long you want the map around.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I use campaign cartographer 3. Take at look at my sig pictures and everything there is done on CC3. Ive also done maps of Baalgor, Floenry, Y-Oda & Zy, Eastern Territory, Lopan & Phi, Bizantium so far (rest still to do). All look good. Nice program.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

The Dark Elf wrote:I use campaign cartographer 3. Take at look at my sig pictures and everything there is done on CC3. Ive also done maps of Baalgor, Floenry, Y-Oda & Zy, Eastern Territory, Lopan & Phi, Bizantium so far (rest still to do). All look good. Nice program.

Its a great program, but it costs a lot of money... unless you have a friend that lives in a bay and gives you a copy free
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

I would add Inkwell's Hexographer for world maps - the free version is limited in size you can work with, but otherwise has most of what you'll need

http://www.hexographer.com/
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I have some experience with maps. What kind of map are you looking to make? Tactical, city, regional, or world? What kind of quality/artistry do you want in your maps? Do you prefer a photo-realistic map, or something that looks more hand-drawn?

There are a ton of options out there for style and software. Hand-drawn maps can also work great. My preferred tool for maps is GIMP, an open source image editing program. I also use some Inkscape and WILBUR, both of which are also open-source. I've done world maps and regional maps (my gallery is linked in my sig).
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”