Composite Bows

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Composite Bows

Unread post by KillWatch »

it isn't ancient,... but it isn't a firearm.

where are the stats for a compound bow? ARE there stats?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Composite Bows

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

KillWatch wrote:it isn't ancient,... but it isn't a firearm.

Rifts Ultimate edition has the stats for a compound bow under W.P. Archery on page 326
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

KillWatch wrote:it isn't ancient,... but it isn't a firearm.

These days, "compound bow" refers to one thing, and "composite bow" refers to another.

There might be a composite bow in the Compendium of Weapons, Armor, and Castles, or perhaps N&S.
Nekira already answered for the compound bow.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The HU: Aliens Unlimited has stats for modern bows.

KS is right, composite and compound bows are two different things. The Mongols used composite short bows, made of laminated wood and animal bits.

Where compound bows are a modern invention. The main feature of Compound bows are their pulleys. It is just that compound bows need bow staves made of modern laminated materials to take the stresses imposed on them by the pulleys.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

thanks for clarifying, so i am looking for a compound bow. I didn't see what I was looking for in N&SS or the CMW. I will check the AU
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

AU page 169 has some sort of modern bows.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Out of curiosity, are composite bows covered anywhere?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Out of curiosity, are composite bows covered anywhere?

Greetings and Salutations. If you're willing to look at unofficial material, Rifter #40 has an article "A Walk on the Wild Side - Barbarians, Part Two" (continued from Rifter #38), and has stats for a W.P. Composite Bow on page 34 and more stats on page 36.

On a personal note of the article, the ranges (especially when added in with some of the bonuses from #38 with at least one type of barbarian adding +100 yards to range) will allow a 1st level character with a composite bow to out range a level 15 long bowman, dealing equal damage, and can negate the penalties on horseback as well. My issues with this tend to come from the fact that it in many ways makes the Long Bowman O.C.C. obsolete. Now I'm not blindly trying to argue a long bow is superior, and on the forums the writer once said he was just basing his information on real world statistics (or something like that). I'm not saying the information is inaccurate (I honestly don't know much about either to even try to guess), but I will say when something new comes along that overshadows another O.C.C., I don't tend to be a fan of it (this is a game design issue, in my opinion).

Okay, I kind of added more than you really asked for there. Anyways, that's the only source (that I'm aware of) that stats out a composite (or horseman's) bow. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”