Based on the rules...

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Based on the rules...

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Based on the rules any weapon mounted in an immovable vice still has a 45% chance of completely missing a 5x5 foot target at 50' when firing a burst.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Based on the rules...

Unread post by Nightmask »

Do the rules actually say that though? That an object in a fixed position aimed at a specific large target will still have a chance of missing it?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The rules are based on a combat situation. I think it would be fair to say that the configuration you've described modifies the weapon into a non-combat tool for destroying stuff in front of it. A sort of drill, if you will.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SpiritInterface wrote:Based on the rules any weapon mounted in an immovable vice still has a 45% chance of completely missing a 5x5 foot target at 50' when firing a burst.

The rules simulate combat, not physics, and of course return nonsense results if you take the system out of context. That's like pointing out the D&D peasant linear accelrator with the "handing something to someone next to you takes no time in combat, so a line of millions of pesants can accelerate a rock to escape velocity". The rules are not meant to be used outside of a combat situation with limited numbers of people involved.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

The rules are flawed and out dated.

The Military has been training Aimed three round burst since the 1980s, yet the rules do not allow for it. The rules say that you have a 10% greater chance of completely missing a man sized target when firing a three round burst when trained and a 55% greater chance of missing with out training.

The rules do not take into account things like super human or supernatural strengths being able to overcome things like recoil.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The rules are yours to do with as you wish. Change them if it suits you. As I point out to my demo participants, especially the completely new players, it's a 400 page rulebook on how to play pretend and our only limit is our imagination. :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SpiritInterface wrote:The rules are flawed and out dated.

The Military has been training Aimed three round burst since the 1980s, yet the rules do not allow for it. The rules say that you have a 10% greater chance of completely missing a man sized target when firing a three round burst when trained and a 55% greater chance of missing with out training.

The rules do not take into account things like super human or supernatural strengths being able to overcome things like recoil.

The rules in every RPG are flawed and outdated the moment they hit print. the question is weather or not you can handle the flaws, and if not, houserule 'em :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Bill wrote:The rules are yours to do with as you wish. Change them if it suits you. As I point out to my demo participants, especially the completely new players, it's a 400 page rulebook on how to play pretend and our only limit is our imagination. :)

One of my favorite GMs called them "suggestion books" instead of "rule books". I clearly remember him telling a local rules lawyer "well, that's just the author's opinion!".

Good times.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

so, laser, burst fire (pulse un their case, same rules), 50' range.

so at level 1, take your +1 from WP e-rifle and with nothing else you need to roll a 7 or better to force a dodge. seems like a 70% hit rate to me. what's giving the -3 penalty? if you're trained there is none and lasers don't have burst penalties. if you're using anything else then your +1 bonus gets cut in half and that's it.

but then we could get into optional bonuses you could have at first level, like being a paratrooper (+2 to strike with small arms) or sharpshooting (average +2 or it isn't really worth the skill selection). you cab have pretty good bonuses, there are other tricks, abilities and even mods that will increase accuracy.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
wodens_blade
D-Bee

Unread post by wodens_blade »

I have found that as a GM, both me and my players enjoy the story more if we tweak the rules from time-to-time in the progression of telling a story. after all that's why we are there, so we can all create the storytelling together.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”