Would you let this burst fire?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Would you let this burst fire?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

In the last game session a player wanted to fire a 2 rnd burst out of a Milkor M32 40mm mgl. would you as a GM allow it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkor_MGL

https://youtu.be/OVfhTqL95jY
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Would you let this burst fire?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Yeah.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yes, but unless there was a significant strength attribute, the burst fire would probably be wild (notice how much the ex-Navy SEAL operating the weapon is shoved around, that thing has serious kick behind it).
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I always thought that in Palladium games you could only do a 'burst' using a weapon which would allow you to hold the trigger down once and it would fire multiple rounds. So if you have to press the trigger each time to fire a round you can't do a 'burst' as such. Each press of the trigger counts as one action. That's how I understood it anyway.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Soldier of Od wrote:I always thought that in Palladium games you could only do a 'burst' using a weapon which would allow you to hold the trigger down once and it would fire multiple rounds.

Nope.
It's always included semi-automatics as well.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

After watching the video, it would be with wild shots penalty, if I did allow it. The GL is basically a revolver not so much a semi-auto, ot sure the mechanism would be fast enough to fire a burst, it would be like saying you could burst fire a S&W .500 magnum revovler, I think the semi rule for bursts was meant for auto-loaders, not revolvers. IMHO
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mechghost wrote:After watching the video, it would be with wild shots penalty, if I did allow it. The GL is basically a revolver not so much a semi-auto, ot sure the mechanism would be fast enough to fire a burst, it would be like saying you could burst fire a S&W .500 magnum revovler, I think the semi rule for bursts was meant for auto-loaders, not revolvers. IMHO

RUE specifically states that revolvers can't burst fire, so there is that.

Of course, there's also this.

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yes, though a guy who wears sponsorship from major firearms manufacturers in his videos is probably not a good baseline for assessing the capabilities of the average shooter.

Also, he was pretty close to that target. A grenade launcher is typically used quite a bit farther out unless you intend to blow yourself up too. I'd be interested how that speed drill went at a target even twice as far away.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Jefffar wrote:Yes, though a guy who wears sponsorship from major firearms manufacturers in his videos is probably not a good baseline for assessing the capabilities of the average shooter.

Also, he was pretty close to that target. A grenade launcher is typically used quite a bit farther out unless you intend to blow yourself up too. I'd be interested how that speed drill went at a target even twice as far away.

Other sources and other Video I have seen show it to be quite accurate out to long range.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Jefffar wrote:Yes, though a guy who wears sponsorship from major firearms manufacturers in his videos is probably not a good baseline for assessing the capabilities of the average shooter.

Neither is the average PC.
:p

Agreed... but by Palladium rules, range doesn't affect accuracy much.
If you burst at somebody 15' away, you hit with just as many rounds as if you burst at somebody 1500' away.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

FYI,

TMNT 67
A burst is the shooting of several rounds, one immediately after another. Aim is more hasty and the recoil moves the weapon with each shot, reducing accuracy.

HU2 75
The act of shooting several rounds makes aim more hasty and the recoil moves the weapon with each shot, reducing the accuracy.

Rifts 34
A burst is the shooting of several rounds, one immediately after another. Aim is more hasty and the recoil moves the weapon with each shot, reducing the accuracy.

Just for example.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

SpiritInterface wrote:

Other sources and other Video I have seen show it to be quite accurate out to long range.

When used in such a speed drill though? His hits were stitched across the target instead if a tight group. If he did the same trick at long range I don't think we'd see 5 hits. If he did the drill under combat conditions (fleeting targets, no time to prepare for his shot, no trial runs, people shooting back at you...) I think he'd be lucky to put two rounds on target at that close range.

Trick shots are just that, tricks. They don't represent realistic combat performance.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”