Is there, or isn't there a size modifier for ranged combat?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Is there, or isn't there a size modifier for ranged combat?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Is there, or isn't there a size modifier for ranged combat? I was asked to post this here by the guys I game with.

Nobody can find anywhere in Palladium that says a target if this size is minus this, or a target of this size is minus that. Is there some place that says a head sized target is minus X? A hand sized target is minus Y? A Sedan sized target is plus A? A Winnebago sized one is plus B?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Is there, or isn't there a size modifier for ranged comb

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

None that I know of.
BUT beings that are small enough sometimes have a bonus to dodge, and targets that are small enough sometimes have a penalty to strike and/or require a Called Shot.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Sort of. If you look at the MDC by Location charts for most mecha units and some MDC creatures, you'll see locations that are specifically mentioned as being difficult to strike, and therefore have a penalty to do so. You could house-rule base off of that. And in space combat, larger ships get penalties to dodge. That's the only official rule I know of.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

The Beast wrote:Sort of. If you look at the MDC by Location charts for most mecha units and some MDC creatures, you'll see locations that are specifically mentioned as being difficult to strike, and therefore have a penalty to do so. You could house-rule base off of that. And in space combat, larger ships get penalties to dodge. That's the only official rule I know of.

To build off that, page 361 of RUE, under the called shots, talks about shooting small targets. You can basically only do so by using a called shot (which takes up multiple attacks) and receives a strike penalty as well.
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

I believe there is something in one of the Three Galaxies dimension books, that discuss size bonuses or penalties for starships vs. fighters vs. power armor and such. That could possibly be adapted for what ever specific encounters you have in question.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

most large objects/creatures have terrible dodge bonuses, which tends to be palladium's way of dealing with it.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

So there are no size modifiers rules except for some special instances. Since it requires a called shot to hit any specific location it isn't counted.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Return to “G.M.s Forum”