Professional Level secondary skills.. How?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Professional Level secondary skills.. How?

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

All Palladium books (to the best of my knowledge) say that Domestic Skills can be taken 2x ( as a secondary skill) and will then be considered "Professional Quality". How does this translate to game play? Do you increase the skill %? If so, how much: by 50%, by the per level bonus so the char starts at L2? I'd really like to know how you guys do this.

Or is it simply a matter of saying,

GM: "you succeed in your wilderness survival roll and have built a leanto and a fire."

Player, "BS! I'm a professional wilderness survivalist. I didn't build a leanto and a fire. What I built is a fully sealed, multi room log cabin with stone fireplaces and hearths"

I'm considering doubling up on the Hunting skill as described in Rifter 24 or the PF world book for Yin Sloth Jungles. but I just don't know how it would work out exactly.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Professional Level secondary skills.. How?

Unread post by Glistam »

Taking a secondary skill twice to achieve professional quality only applies to Domestic Skills, and the percentage increase is only 10% for doing so. Those who are familiar with the skill (and maybe others who aren't - GM call) will recognize "Professional" level versus "Amateur" level results. Whether or not that matters depends on the skill, the NPC, and the situation.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:All Palladium books (to the best of my knowledge) say that Domestic Skills can be taken 2x ( as a secondary skill) and will then be considered "Professional Quality". How does this translate to game play? Do you increase the skill %? If so, how much: by 50%, by the per level bonus so the char starts at L2? I'd really like to know how you guys do this.

Or is it simply a matter of saying,

GM: "you succeed in your wilderness survival roll and have built a leanto and a fire."

Player, "BS! I'm a professional wilderness survivalist. I didn't build a leanto and a fire. What I built is a fully sealed, multi room log cabin with stone fireplaces and hearths"

I'm considering doubling up on the Hunting skill as described in Rifter 24 or the PF world book for Yin Sloth Jungles. but I just don't know how it would work out exactly.

The rules make it clear only Domestic skills can be taken x2, and doing so means....that you gain 10% and the result is considered professional quality. that is it. that is ALL it means. a 10% bonus and an arbitrarily better resuilt.

basically, taking cooking once means your a good home cook, taking it twice means you can cook in 5 star resturants. take wardrobe and grooming once you can do your own makeup. taking it 2x means you can work in a salon.

basically taking it "Professionally" means you are good enough to make a living at it, if you decide to pack it in and stop adventuring.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I should have mentioned, as I did on facebook, I'm playing in an after the bomb game. in after the bomb, wilderness survival is considered a domestic skill. it gives the hunting skill to players as part of core package of skills, but it is not listed in any of the categories or given a description or skill percentage. it is listed in palladium fantasy as a wilderness skill. after the bomb does not have this category, so I decided to stick it in the domestic and frontier group.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I should have mentioned, as I did on facebook, I'm playing in an after the bomb game. in after the bomb, wilderness survival is considered a domestic skill. it gives the hunting skill to players as part of core package of skills, but it is not listed in any of the categories or given a description or skill percentage. it is listed in palladium fantasy as a wilderness skill. after the bomb does not have this category, so I decided to stick it in the domestic and frontier group.

If it has no % chance, then taking it means you could be a paid guide in hazardous terrain.

professional skills are mostly a roleplaying thing. unless your character does it for a side income, it dosn't really DO anything the normal skill can't. it just lets you charge money for it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

You might want to take a look at Rifter #30's article entitled "A Cut Above" as it will give you some options on this subject.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The Mysteries of Magic book for PF also has some rules on taking skills multiple times to improve the underlying skill.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “G.M.s Forum”