Magic Zone Campaign

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrDisturbed
D-Bee

Magic Zone Campaign

Unread post by MrDisturbed »

I live in northwest Indiana, in the magic zone. So that's where I want to start my campaign. My players are new to rifts and one has already set his hopes on a hatchling character.. My original idea was to start them in a small village of humans with a few slurmphs living there as well. While the players are there a coalition patrol storms the village demanding that all DBees come forward. And any humans who try to assist the dbees will be dealt with..but I would love more ideas as this is more of an encounter than an objective
flatline
Knight

Re: Magic Zone Campaign

Unread post by flatline »

MrDisturbed wrote:I live in northwest Indiana, in the magic zone. So that's where I want to start my campaign. My players are new to rifts and one has already set his hopes on a hatchling character.. My original idea was to start them in a small village of humans with a few slurmphs living there as well. While the players are there a coalition patrol storms the village demanding that all DBees come forward. And any humans who try to assist the dbees will be dealt with..but I would love more ideas as this is more of an encounter than an objective

That's a little harsh starting out. Will they have any warning so that they can at least run and hide first? Or are you going to make it a fight they can win starting out (village defenders step in or something)?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Some questions for inspiration:

What led the Coalition to the town? Was the town betrayed? Do the Coalition settle for just killing the D-Bees? Are they really Coalition soldiers or undead, illusions or something else? Were they part of a larger force? What options do the town have for such a scenario? Was this all just an elaborite destraction so something secret and of value could be stolen from the town?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
MrDisturbed
D-Bee

Unread post by MrDisturbed »

To clarify they are actually "rogue" coalition troops, 4 grunts and a SAM they are on leave and are in the area because one of the grunts swears he knows where a treasure cove is... These punks are the reason the cs has a bad name. The main point is to see where my players are at morally.. I've never played with them before.. I'm open to suggestions which is why I'm here lol
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

BTW sir; I have replied to your Priv-Mes. It should be awaiting you in your in-box when you log-in. :angel:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Halapo of Wu
D-Bee

Unread post by Halapo of Wu »

I like it.
They COULD step up. Earn the treasure as a reward.
They COULD hang back, learn of the treasure, ambush the CS on their own.
The CS gear alone is a nice score for new characters, however I would warn you, it easy for players to earn credits. Each grunt is carrying around gear worth enough to cover "basic" living costs for months. I would come up with a "salvage" table for gear, with things like "new" "minor damage (10% of book value lost/or to fix) " "needs minor repairs (25% less or to fix) "severe damage (75% missing/in need of repair) "useful only as spare parts".

It is kind of a boring thing, but I find I have to try and nickle&dime players, or always limit gear availability in stores. The look on one players face when he FINALLY had enough money AND found a dealer with some Northern Gun Plasma cannon he wanted was priceless. He also went to great lengths to recover his gear ( and said plasma cannon ) whenever it was taken from him. I would think Rifts soldiers would be that attached to their stuff.

Early in my GM career, I glossed over living costs, repair & rearm and limited dealer stock. For tech-based players, they didn't feel very challenged to upgrade. While the costs of TW creation are staggering and "effective magic items" are both rare and expensive.

All in all, sounds like a decent start, I really like that it isnt "offical CS" and the treasure rumor. It should give you a good shake down for how people want to play while also leaving you room with where to go next.

Are the players all new to rifts, as in combat rules and such? It would setup a decent fight. Samas for the dragon hatching, a grunt for each "combat player" and maybe single grunt for two "non-combat players"? Mention the rules for gunfire while moving, point plank range and targets behind cover. I would expect that is going to come up...
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I too live in the magic zone (west central Indiana. .near Terre Haute). I'm interested in your campaign to see what you do with our home state, as Pb's stance seemd to be to summarily ignore it. Don't let me down Sir.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “G.M.s Forum”