How do you keep track of all these attacks

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

How do you keep track of all these attacks

Unread post by Axoid »

We played a few games this weekend, and had a heck of a time organizing and sorting the multitude of attacks that happen, especially during simultaneous shooting. It's tough to recall what attacks were against the 5th target when you finally get to it.

What we ended up doing was using multiple sets of dice, one color per weapon. Then you just put the dice down in-line from the attacker to the target. once all attacks are assigned, then go back and start with the first target, roll and resolve all his attacks, then move to the next target, etc. It worked OK, and was definitely better than trying to remember or writing it down on paper each round.

The only thing we're going to try next is to add a +X token to each set of rolls, with the X being the shooter's modified gunnery. For instance, with a GN of 2, firing from close formation at a target in hard cover, that ends up being (2+1-2) = +1 counter. The you know what the final To Strike result is, based on the roll + token.

Anyone else use a different method? I'm finding that physical game management is tougher than learning the rules.
Battle Damage
D-Bee

Re: How do you keep track of all these attacks

Unread post by Battle Damage »

We used to use a similar system for Flames of War, which can also generate buckets of dice from weapons with different characteristics. We'd use different colours for different weapons as you did. Sequence went like:

1. Designate target.
2. Roll dice.
3. Place dice that hit next to target.
4. Rinse, lather repeat until all dice are rolled.
5. Resolve hits. In RRT, I'd have the opponent use the same dice to resolve dodges/anti-missile/roll-with-impact to easily denote which hits from which weapons are effected.
Pythdamion
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Pythdamion »

Similar to your method with counters I have a set of large dice that I use to keep track of the total die modifier (GN +various bonus and minus to the roll) and then I have four different color dice to represent the weapon systems.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

Seems the general trend. I guess I need to buy some more colors of dice :)
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

:mrgreen: I absolutely Love the Idea of laying down a little +2 or +3 token next to some attacks to show for GN Making dodge rolls easy and quick to calculate.
Why are they using such primative weapons?
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I use glass beads of various colors. One is for missiles from generic units, another for missiles from the commanders and the same for direct fire weapons, makes rolling quick and easy even if you leave the game for a snack.
PANZERBUNNY
D-Bee

Unread post by PANZERBUNNY »

Malcontent-Khyron wrote::mrgreen: I absolutely Love the Idea of laying down a little +2 or +3 token next to some attacks to show for GN Making dodge rolls easy and quick to calculate.

Usually people place a D6 next to mechs in Battletech to show the modifier to hit due to speed, Jump jets etc. This speeds up the game. Placing a similar token next to the card off the board would help keep clutter low and people can see what the more easily hit targets are without asking your opponent every time.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”