Xenobred Gorehound Variant from previous Rifter

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GunSeraph06
D-Bee

Xenobred Gorehound Variant from previous Rifter

Unread post by GunSeraph06 »

I noticed that the Xenobred Gorehound Variant discusses splicing alien DNA for its creation....

Its begs the question (and others below), where did this alien DNA come from, and is there a Great House that has found it and exploited it more for its own ends?

Could these aliens become a second antagonist element in addition to Nexus and its Robots, forcing humans to fight a war on two fronts?

Could the aliens be benevolent and want to help Humans resist and eventually reclaim the planet, which is how humans were able to receive and use alien DNA?

Could the aliens have ties to Phase World, enabling a possible link between the Splicers world and the rest of the Megaverse?

So many possibilities...

Also many, many possibilities if Rifts crossovers happened. (Brodkil, Xiticix, Splugorth minions, Lemuria, Anti-Monsters from South America, D-Bees of North America, etc.)

Thoughts?
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Xenobred Gorehound Variant from previous Rifter

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The Alien DNA is code stored by the Librarians and manipulated by the Engineers themselves. Since they are alien creatures, they have access to a wide array of genetic properties not yet seen.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
GunSeraph06
D-Bee

I may have missed it in the core book, but does it say where the Librarians/Engineers came from, and why they came to Splicers world?
The Galactus Kid

It does not.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

GunSeraph06
D-Bee

Then there is all kinds of story material from that, it sounds like....

Again, so many possibilities...

Could they be a offshoot/experiment/creation of the Gene-Splicers themselves, either as escaped refugees, advance parties for future Gene-Splicer investigation, or something else entirely?
The Galactus Kid

Personally, I keep Splicers an isolated dimension. I don't do any crossover with other Palladium material. That said, in your game, they can be whatever they need to be for the story.

GunSeraph06
D-Bee

Makes sense, I understand...

Unfortunately I don't have any games going on (wish I did).

Will any upcoming books/source material explain the origin of Librarians and Engineers?
The Galactus Kid

GunSeraph06 wrote:Makes sense, I understand...

Unfortunately I don't have any games going on (wish I did).

Will any upcoming books/source material explain the origin of Librarians and Engineers?

It depends. I know that Chuck and Slappy have discussed them a bit in one of their manuscripts with a good amount of detail, and I discussed their workings in Genetic Expressions, but not their origin.

Origins in Splicers are left vague and it is a part of the game I love. They don't even know if this is Earth or a colony world. They know of the Congressionals (the society before the war) but they don't know much. The origins of the Engineers and Librarians are also vague. Right now, these beings are helping in every way that they can, but to what end? Once the machine is gone, then what?

GunSeraph06
D-Bee

Good point, and why are they being so altruistic? What do they hope to gain after the machines are gone?

I know it keeps it more interesting to keep their origins shrouded in mystery, but I hope some information about them, where they came from, and why will eventually come out.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

to add more fuel to the fire, the librarians aren't terribly altruistic. they are known for being selfish and manipulative, and for eventually going completely off their rockers and trying to seize power for themselves.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

We do know that the Gaia personality has been releasing all manner of things into her Preserves... plants and animals of both Terrestrial and Colonial (alien) origins. She has also been mixing and matching the genes of various creatures to create new ones as well (the Gluttons for example). In fact, given all the changes NEXUS has made to the world, it is unknown if the planet is even Earth or a Colonial world (and if the latter, does Earth know what is going on here or even investigated?).

This means it isn't too difficult for the Resistance to get genetic samples from alien life... as many such beings are roaming the wilds (or at least creatures with alien genes). Does the Main Book even say how long the Resistance has had Bio-Tech?

A very interesting question regarding both Librarians and Engineers (not to mention Saints) is how the Resistance first learned what these beings could do. These are some of the most alien beings within the Resistance... and are pretty much the very reason the Resistance has managed to continue to exist. Before them, only the relatively few Technojackers were able to offer any real resistance to the Machine. So... how did the Resistance discover what these symbiotes could do?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The origins are pretty vague because after the machines rise to power and the intense war and genocide after that records were pretty much lost and much of what they have is myth and guess and the world has been changed so radically by the machine there probably is no way for the human factions to even know the true history any more and its even possible given how insane the machine is it may not know either.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

so... much that I would love to reveal, but I much rather it be revealed in official publication, which has been submitted, including full stats and write-ups for both the Engineers and Librarians.

I would however, suggest that a great deal of the alien knowledge remain as relic artifacts, forbidden or extremely hard to discover and decode archives, and even the Librarians which have derived from the experimenting with the alien "findings/remnants" reflect a small fraction of the core secrets, ecology and origins of the aliens. With NEXUS basically conducting majority of the global maintenance and affairs, the Resistance is very lucky to have as much achievement and assess to the alien artifacts that they have, let alone their innovative achievements. With the Resistance utilizing as much alien influences as they do, it is most likely that the vast majority of the data collected on the original alien sources would either be destroyed by the machine, or carefullt analyzed to try and decipher the secrets, limitations and vulnerabilities of Biotech or in some cases such as Eve or Gaia, carefully preserving such precious resources and secrets.

With that being said, you best believe that material has been brewing to delve "deeper" behind the alien veil. I do plan to explore this aspect in future publications, without revealing or taking away that dark, alien mystery and intrigue. However, for now, we would like to develop the setting more comprehensively for expounding the Splicers experience.

Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

I would love to see the stats and write-ups on Engineers and Librarians... I found it odd that these two key beings to every Great House didn't have any stats in the main book. True, they are best suited as NPCs... the Engineers are stationary and the Librarians are just too... alien in mindset to make good PCs. That said, it wouldn't be the first time that Palladium has published stats for beings that were intended to be NPCs.

What little information I've been able to gather on these two types of beings has merely wetted my appetite for more information... the juicier the better.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Saw what we will of the CS, I don't think they mind-wipe the mentally ill and turn them into Biotics. Aliens are behind such inhumanity!

I expect Engineer/Librarian lack-of-stat will be because then we will want rules on how they add stuff, design new stuff, how much Bio-E they can give, etc. Was confusing enough with the Geneticist taste.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the coalition is the superior force in north america. they are not in any way in danger of being destroyed, nor do they have a shortage of people wanting to join their military, which is already the strongest in north america (and quite likely the strongest human military in the entire world, with atlantis being the main reason they even need that "human" qualification).

plus, while mind-whiping people and turning them into war-machines is not exactly great, i have my doubts that the CS is particularly a great place to be for the mentally ill. they probably don't get sent off to war, but let's be real here: there aren't a lot of societies that have a track record of treating the mentally ill well. even in our society, we pretty much lock them away from the public for the most part. i'm certainly not suggesting that's as bad as brainwashing them into supersoldiers, but it's not like it's particularly great for the mentally ill either.

simply put, the resistance is in a really bad spot. they desperately need more fighting forces, they are hopelessly outmatched, and they know it. the CS really is not even close to being in that situation. it's hard to say what they would do if they were in that situation, because the situation has shaped both the need (which the coalition does not have), and the people involved who made the decision (without the experience of being where they are, it's hard to understand where they are... but bear in mind that as far as the people of the splicers world are concerned, the human race is faced with extinction).
The Galactus Kid

Premier wrote:so... much that I would love to reveal, but I much rather it be revealed in official publication, which has been submitted, including full stats and write-ups for both the Engineers and Librarians.

This is exactly why Matt Orr and I didn't dive into the two entities in Genetic Expressions. I can't wait to see what is brewing behind the scenes here.

The books I'm working on are more along the lines of the Heroes Unlimited "Powers Unlimited" series that really add a bunch of new material to the players so they can really customize their characters to their desires. There is some fluff material that fleshes out the world a bit more, but nothing along the lines of the deep dive Chuck is talking about here. In the future, once a little more of the setting is established, my team will be changing gears to do more of what Chuck and Slappy have done.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Tor wrote:Saw what we will of the CS, I don't think they mind-wipe the mentally ill and turn them into Biotics. Aliens are behind such inhumanity!

I expect Engineer/Librarian lack-of-stat will be because then we will want rules on how they add stuff, design new stuff, how much Bio-E they can give, etc. Was confusing enough with the Geneticist taste.

Given some things humans have done to other humans in far easier circumstances in our history leads me to think humans are more than capable of any inhumanity or atrocity if they are scared enough. Honestly in resource starved tribes throughout history it has not been uncommon for the sick and weak or elderly to simply walk out into the snow to die rather than drain resources from the tribe. The splicer houses are in a similar boat spending resources to keep somebody who is helpless and non productive alive could literally cost the lives of everybody in the house. Biotics while inhumane is less inhumane than simply killing them which would be the alternative.

Return to “Splicers®”