Ok so I assembled a Regult Pod to see how it would go

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Ok so I assembled a Regult Pod to see how it would go

Unread post by jaymz »

I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have been gaming since 1977 and GMing since 1986.
If its an RPG or has minis, Its here somewhere.

Re: Ok so I assembled a Regult Pod to see how it would go

Unread post by JimmyB »

I havent started yet, with the number I have to build I am taking some time to prep.
So figuring out what glue works best, best way to handle decals, what to pre assemble and
how many to assemble at same time. etc etc.
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah. I just used regular testors. I set fast so that's good.

If I were to sit down I could probably get all my Battlecry Regults done in an afternoon.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Looks good Jaymz. I'm taking it fairly slow myself for now. I'm using super glue thus far, seems to be doing fine.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Thanks. Goung to try and do some every night this week. In fact going to do some now hehe.

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Ok finished the other two on the sprue

http://robotechrpgtactics.boards.net/th ... s-on-sprue

\m/
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think the pods are a good way to start out. Not as many small parts or subassemblies to worry about. Best of all, you get them by the handful so a mistake isn't too costly and can always be turned into a scenic base. All and all, a good choice for any beginners to gain confidence and skill before the more challenging assemblies.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Did another sprue of pods. Took a little over an hour.

Clipped cleaned glued legs and feet

Clipped cleaned glued body parts.

Attached legs.

Attached guns.

Based.

Don't think it'll get much faster.

I am a relative novice at this and am not looking forward to the recon pod, destroids, and vf-1 guardians and battloids. Add in painting time.....

I am afraid to say that all of this could very well turn off a number of people from getting into re game. :(

\m/
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

jaymz wrote:I am afraid to say that all of this could very well turn off a number of people from getting into re game. :(

True, but it also attracts others. When I lived in Japan, I spent hours putting together Gundam suits and scale models. The hobby aspect is what I love. Competitve playing is fun, but I love the hobby aspect. So I might argue that as many people that get turned off by the complexity of the models, there are people that get into it because of the minis.

In this current industry trend of prepaints and 'Got to open the box and play' mentality, there are still those that love putting things together and painting. After assembling over a hundred of these minis (to rival that of my largest 40K army of Necrons), and only a quarter of the way through my stack, I can see where the short attention span crowd could be turned off.

For me, its a blast. Robotech, miniatures, gaming, painting... Having a great time!

I have found new friends, played more than I deserve, and the only problem I have is: Can I get all of Wave one stuff done before Wave two hits.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Problem is robotech does not have the fan base of a Gundam or macross itself to hope for that if this game is going to go forward as a successful concern.

\m/
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think that a 1.4 million dollar Kickstarter indicates there is still a sizable fanbase out there to work with.

Hopefully this will catch on and grow that group some more.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Barnhill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Barnhill »

While I do think they are a bit more complicated than they need to be, they are nothing compared to some of the other games I play. Malifaux for one.
Sakieh
D-Bee

Unread post by Sakieh »

JimmyB wrote:I havent started yet, with the number I have to build I am taking some time to prep.
So figuring out what glue works best, best way to handle decals, what to pre assemble and
how many to assemble at same time. etc etc.

Testors red, do regults in groups of 6, Vakyries in groups of two, and Destroids in groups of 4.
The transfers are a PITA, and you put those on next to last, anwyay, so you have time to research
that while you assemble and paint things.

Leave leg and hip assemblies separate until you finish painting, for ease of getting the joint area.
On the Phalanxes, also leave the arms off until you finish painting, as the torso gets in the way.
On the fighters, leave the flightstand and the GU-11 pod separate until you finish painting, so you
can paint the details on the pod, and get at the head to paint that.

For paint colours, you want three shades of the same colour: the base coat, and then a shade darker,
and a shade lighter. Preferably you want paints in dropper bottles so you can thin them and mix them
easier on your wet palette. You use a 3 drop pattern: Base color 3 drops, slightly darker shade:
Base 2 drops, darker 1. Second darker: Base 1 drop, Darker 2 drops. Full dark: 3 drops dark. Same pattern
with the lighter shade. for shadows, start lightest to darkest, in smaller areas. For bright spots, start
base coat to lightest, in smaller areas. Be mindful that not all shadows are going to be as dark, not
all bright spots are going to be as bright, so you do not go to the full darkest or lightest every time.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

jaymz wrote:Did another sprue of pods. Took a little over an hour.

Clipped cleaned glued legs and feet

Clipped cleaned glued body parts.

Attached legs.

Attached guns.

Based.

Don't think it'll get much faster.

I am a relative novice at this and am not looking forward to the recon pod, destroids, and vf-1 guardians and battloids. Add in painting time.....

I am afraid to say that all of this could very well turn off a number of people from getting into re game. :(

Curious, what was your expectation on time investment? This seems reasonable to me, but I am not someone that did not have any ideas on time for minis going in....
Really would like to know, as I think this is one of the main disconnects.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I figured it would be time consuming once it was understood what parts count were.
Problem is, as was demonstrated over on the Kickstarter comments for the better part of a year, MANY people, who are not mini Wargamers but robotech fans, were expecting 5-10 piece miniatures not 15-25 piece miniature model kits.

There a fair number that sold their pledges because of it and some still are now that they have it hand and see just how much work it really is.

1-2 hours per sprue to me is fine as long as those buying aren't Ina hurry to play. Me? I have bt minis and counters i can and am willing to use in the meantime. I am not the norm however

\m/

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”