Questions for a FAQ

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Everyman
D-Bee
Comment: Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Questions for a FAQ

Unread post by Everyman »

I thought that I would start a single thread for possible questions that probably should be addressed in a FAQ. To start off with here are a few that we encountered:

1. Are Special Characters unique and limited to one of each allowed per force?

2. Can multiple Special Characters be placed into the same squadron?

3. If a Special Character is added to a figure with the Life is Cheap special ability does it lose that special ability?

4. Can Breetai’s High Lord ability be used to redirect damage taken from a hand to hand attack to a mecha that is not involved in the melee?

5. Ben Dixon
a. Can his Selfless ability be used to redirect damage taken from a hand to hand attack when he is not involved in the melee?
b. Can he still Dodge, Parry, shoot down missiles and/or Roll with Impact any damage taken from the Selfless ability?
c. Can damage from the Selfless ability be split as per the Close Formation rule?

6. Can the Pirion-Galar Special Character be returned to play with the Zentraedi reinforcements rule?

7. If a Valkyrie 1J is upgraded to a 1R does it lose its Leadership special ability?

8. Can a Special Character that can be placed into a Valkyrie 1A or 1J be placed into an upgraded 1R?

9. How exactly are Victory Points computed for destroying or reducing to half strength a Regult unit (having Life is Cheap) with a Glaug included?

10. According to page 83 under Victory Points it states that "If half or more of the mecha in the squadron have been destroyed, the player who caused the squadron to drop below half strength scores a number of Victory Points equal to half of the total VP that the squadron is worth". Is this correct since it would imply that by jumping off a cliff, moving off the table, etc. it would be possible to score Victory Points on your own units? This should probably be reworded in the same manner as destroying a squadron to include the opposing player gains the VP.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Questions for a FAQ

Unread post by Axoid »

How about these

11. Can a squadron benefit from multiple close formations, or just the largest group of Mecha in the squadron get the benefit?

12. Does a squadron have to use the close formation offensive benefit, i.e. can they elect to not gain the +1 to strike and therefore forego the need to attack simultaneously?

13. Do Mecha provide cover to other Mecha? If so, what type (hard or soft), and do they need to be from a different squadron or can they be from the same squadron?

14. Do Veritechs in Battloid mode gain 2x Rapid Fire (so 3 shots total), in addition to the extended range of the gunpod? (viewtopic.php?f=100&t=145222)

Thanks,
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

1. Are Special Characters unique and limited to one of each allowed per force?
Only one of each special character is allowed on the field at a time. There are rules to make up additional ones.

2. Can multiple Special Characters be placed into the same squadron?
Yes, here there are no limitations.

3. If a Special Character is added to a figure with the Life is Cheap special ability does it lose that special ability?
No, Life is Cheap means that the unit does not generate command points and can be killed by friendlies. If a character is killed such as Pirion-Galarr he is not brought back with the Reinforcements Faction Trait.

4. Can Breetai’s High Lord ability be used to redirect damage taken from a hand to hand attack to a mecha that is not involved in the melee?
Yes, it says to friendly mecha within 4 inches.

5. Ben Dixon
a. Can his Selfless ability be used to redirect damage taken from a hand to hand attack when he is not involved in the melee?
b. Can he still Dodge, Parry, shoot down missiles and/or Roll with Impact any damage taken from the Selfless ability?
c. Can damage from the Selfless ability be split as per the Close Formation rule?
Yes, rules do not specify otherwise.
He cannot dodge attacks not directed towards him but he could Roll with Impact.
Yes.

6. Can the Pirion-Galar Special Character be returned to play with the Zentraedi reinforcements rule?
No

7. If a Valkyrie 1J is upgraded to a 1R does it lose its Leadership special ability?
Nope, VF-1R only adds some speed, firepower and durability. It does not alter the unit PIL and GN and LDR stats.

8. Can a Special Character that can be placed into a Valkyrie 1A or 1J be placed into an upgraded 1R?
Yes

9. How exactly are Victory Points computed for destroying or reducing to half strength a Regult unit (having Life is Cheap) with a Glaug included?
This is still argued some. Whole threads have been done on this. I would wait for an "Official" update on this to come out soon.

10. According to page 83 under Victory Points it states that "If half or more of the mecha in the squadron have been destroyed, the player who caused the squadron to drop below half strength scores a number of Victory Points equal to half of the total VP that the squadron is worth". Is this correct since it would imply that by jumping off a cliff, moving off the table, etc. it would be possible to score Victory Points on your own units? This should probably be reworded in the same manner as destroying a squadron to include the opposing player gains the VP.
This comes into bad writing and common sense.

11. Can a squadron benefit from multiple close formations, or just the largest group of Mecha in the squadron get the benefit?
Squadrons can split into varied Close Formations BUT are only considered part of one close formation group. All units within 2 inches of each other and from the same squadron are in close formation. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Maybe an example?

12. Does a squadron have to use the close formation offensive benefit, i.e. can they elect to not gain the +1 to strike and therefore forego the need to attack simultaneously?
No, but if you move them before you fire simply move them so that that unit or units are not within the 2 inch requirement and break the Close Formation up into smaller groups.

13. Do Mecha provide cover to other Mecha? If so, what type (hard or soft), and do they need to be from a different squadron or can they be from the same squadron?
Yes, enemy Mecha block LOS, so if you see a bit of a Glaug in the back and the only thing blocking the LOS is an enemy POD you can shoot at the Glaug but it will have hard cover and missed shots do not hit the Pod. That's something for more advanced rules.

14. Do Veritechs in Battloid mode gain 2x Rapid Fire (so 3 shots total), in addition to the extended range of the gunpod?
No, that was a problem with fluff and the way things were written. Battloid mode allows Rapid Fire. Veritechs cannot rapid fire in Guardian or Fighter modes and the range is reduced to 12.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

Mike,

Thanks for summing up the questions, but forgive my ignorance for asking where you got your answers for the questions? I believe the reason these were posted here was to start assembling questions for an official FAQ response from Palladium. Again, if you are speaking in that official capacity I was unaware of that. Otherwise some of these seem more like your opinion than official answers, as I've read through the rulebook several times and have not found definitive answers.

Thanks,
Don
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Until the "Official" errata is finalized and sent out to everyone you won't have what you would consider solid answers. I know they are still working on approving several sets of errata they received. I sent them a bunch already. Some I know the answers to and others I can pretty much guess at the final result. Once I know more I will share. Suffice it to say that PB has people working towards and official FAQ and that should be released sometime before December.
Everyman
D-Bee
Comment: Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Unread post by Everyman »

Mike, I would have to agree that we need official errata if there is going to be competitive play for this game. While common sense dictates the answers to most of what I posted (although I disagree with your view on number 3, as I cannot see a Zentraedi soldier shooting at Breetai... ever) an official FAQ is simply a must if this game is going to stand on its own competitively.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
desubateta
D-Bee

some ommissions & questions from the rulebook

Unread post by desubateta »

Where will the rpg stats for the new mecha/variations be published?
I think rifter would be good
the ones that need to be statted are:
the jotun armored Valkyrie
yf-4 prototype Valkyrie
phalanx destroid: artillery missile variant(scorpio)
telenesta-regult
nousgarma-ger
queadluun-gult
z-cr mk2 coverging beam rifle

missing: pg48-phalanx destroid: stats for the scorpio version are missing in the book
but are on the cards
missing: pg65-queadluun-gult: the stats for the z-cr mk2 converging beam rifle are missing.
what are the stats for this gun?
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Converging Beam Rifle
Range 24
MD 9
Accurate

Costs 30 for a squadron

These will be on cards for Wave 2
Very Fun One Jr
D-Bee

Unread post by Very Fun One Jr »

What are the effects of the High Gravity special scenario condition on aircraft, e.g. a Gnerl? Is it even possible? Do mecha with the Afterburner ability syill have it in High Gravity conditions??
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

The official Low and High Gravity rules are not well done. They did not take into account Aircraft and Vehicles and Infantry very well since everything is called MECHA the rules were written only with giant robots in mind. I would recommend using these until something official as far as errata is out.

Light Gravity
Under the effects of light gravity, all mecha without either the Aircraft, Vehicle, or Flight abilities, except those with the Cumbersome Ability, gain the Leap special ability for the duration of that battle. Mecha that have Leap or Flight special ability may multiply their SPD attribute by 1.5 for the duration of that battle.

(In essence Destroids and similar stuff gain Leap while Veritech in Battoild, Male Power Armor and Female Power Armor get 1.5 time their SPD while Battlepods multiply their SPD by 1.5 while retaining Leap)

Heavy Gravity
Under the effects of heavy gravity, like a gravity mine, all the mecha have their SPD reduced by half (to a minimum SPD of 1). Mecha that do not have the Aircraft or Vehicle special ability but have the Flight special ability lose it but gain the Leap ability, while those with the Hover or Leap ability lose it for the duration of the battle. Mecha with the Aircraft special ability reduce their SPD by half (to a minimum of 3, if the result is less than 3 cannot operate in Heavy Gravity).

Light Gravity
Vehicle = Unchanged
Aircraft 1.5x Normal
Veritech in Battloid SPD 7.5 and Flight
Veritech in Guardian SPD 15 and Flight
Veritech in Fighter SPD 18 plus Flight and Afterburner
Tomahawk SPD 5 and Leap
Battlepod SPD 7.5 and Leap
Glaug SPD 10.5 and Leap
Male Power Armor SPD 7.5 and Flight
Female Power Armor SPD 18 Flight

Heavy Gravity
Vehicle = 1/2 Normal
Aircraft 1/2 Normal
Veritech in Battloid SPD 2.5 and Leap
Veritech in Guardian SPD 5 and Leap
Veritech in Fighter SPD 6 plus Afterburner
Tomahawk SPD 2.5
Battlepod SPD 5
Glaug SPD 7
Male Power Armor SPD 2.5 and Leap
Female Power Armor SPD 6 and Leap
Very Fun One Jr
D-Bee

Unread post by Very Fun One Jr »

Thanks but I was under the impression that this topic was to collect questions for a FAQ, not home rules. I can make those on my own.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

It would be great if we could limit this topic to questions only. I am working through the MAs to see if we can answers to these. I appreciate the great response and discussion we have, but it would be great to have this topic just for questions that have already been discussed on the forums, but don't have a direct answer from Palladium. I will have a sticky topic made for the answers and any possible FAQ that we may see.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

I posted this elsewhere, but will here:

Indirect Fire: Who has this? It is listed as a Special Weapons system, yet no vehicle listed in the book has it. I assumed Monster Mk 2 would have it, but it doesn't have it. Any suggestions?
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

Weapons systems have indirect fire, not base Mecha. It's on the Scorpio upgrade for the Phalanx for one.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

The missiles on the VEF-1 also have indirect fire
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

15. Can Grell's Special Ability (Allows Reinforcements to any unit destroyed from his Squadron within 8" without need of LOS. Works in ANY Mecha he is piloting.) usable with the Malcontents Faction? (Requires Grell to be in a Squadron with Regult Pods or Infantry to be usable.)

16. Can Special Characters be brought back with Reinforcements if in the appropriate Mecha and Situations? (i.e. Regult or Infantry and within 8" of a Glaug in LOS)
Last edited by ApocalypseZero on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

Mike1975 wrote:3. If a Special Character is added to a figure with the Life is Cheap special ability does it lose that special ability?
No, Life is Cheap means that the unit does not generate command points and can be killed by friendlies. If a character is killed such as Pirion-Galarr he is not brought back with the Reinforcements Faction Trait.

No

What makes Special Characters in Regults or Infantry immune to Reinforcements? These questions need to be answered OFFICIALLY.

Yes

Special Characters are listed with their appropriate craft. While the 1R is an upgrade, there is nothing denoting the validity of this. If this is true, it also leads to an edge for the UEDF that the Zendtraedi or Malcontents do NOT get.

No, but if you move them before you fire simply move them so that that unit or units are not within the 2 inch requirement and break the Close Formation up into smaller groups.

Close Formation is an option, NOT mandatory. Determine Close Formation upon activation or end of movement phase. Just because I have models within 2" of each other does NOT force me to use Close Formation.

14. Do Veritechs in Battloid mode gain 2x Rapid Fire (so 3 shots total), in addition to the extended range of the gunpod?
No, that was a problem with fluff and the way things were written. Battloid mode allows Rapid Fire. Veritechs cannot rapid fire in Guardian or Fighter modes and the range is reduced to 12.

Fighters lose the Rapid Fire rule due to the Fast Mover Rule. Guardians CAN Rapid Fire at 12". Battloids do so at 24".
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Looking forward to an official (and regularly updated/maintained) FAQ/Errata. These questions seem like a fine start.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”