Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech RPG Tactics™ » Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:15 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm
Posts: 118
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Another question here.

I read the Volley rules, and understand them. In a nutshell, a 'Volley 6' weapon will use 1 point of ammo, and you roll 6 To Strike rolls. The rolls can either be all against the same target or split up to other targets within 2 inches of the original target.

What I'm having an issue with is the 'Volley X' rule. It seems like a worse ability than say 'Volley 6'., which may be the case.

With 'Volley 6', I fire 6 missiles at the cost of 1 ammo. With 'Volley X', I can fire 6 missiles at the cost of 6 ammo. All other aspects of a Volley seem to stay the same between the two.

Am I missing anything?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:21 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:25 am
Posts: 91
Nope, you got it.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:25 pm
  

User avatar
Rifts® Trivia Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 13067
Location: Missouri
Volley X missiles tend to be the big, mecha busting LRM's and such. smaller in number, but a lot more powerful per missile.

_________________
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
Image
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:11 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm
Posts: 118
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
OK, so what it's letting you do is gain the rest of the Volley abilities, but at the cost of higher ammo consumption.

Thanks,
Don


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:38 pm
  

User avatar
Rifts® Trivia Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 13067
Location: Missouri
pretty much. it also lets you tailor your volley size.. a VF-1 can be upgraded for +20pts to carry 8 LRM's at "volley X", each missile doing 9 damage and having a blast area. you only need one LRm to bring down most of the more powerful zent mecha, while the blast means a small volley can wipe a whole battlepod group.

that said there are some mecha with Volley X light missiles (doing 2-3 damage), but those are things like the VF-1R's head missiles, mecha where the they just don't carry a lot of missiles.

_________________
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
Image
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:55 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:00 pm
Posts: 334
glitterboy2098 wrote:
pretty much. it also lets you tailor your volley size.. a VF-1 can be upgraded for +20pts to carry 8 LRM's at "volley X", each missile doing 9 damage and having a blast area. you only need one LRm to bring down most of the more powerful zent mecha, while the blast means a small volley can wipe a whole battlepod group.

that said there are some mecha with Volley X light missiles (doing 2-3 damage), but those are things like the VF-1R's head missiles, mecha where the they just don't carry a lot of missiles.



Volley X are also excellent as Anti-Missile weapons since you can husband the missiles.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm
Posts: 118
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Mike1975 wrote:
Volley X are also excellent as Anti-Missile weapons since you can husband the missiles.


Not sure what you mean by that, husband the missiles that is. Care to elaborate?

Thanks,
Don


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:29 pm
  

User avatar
Rifts® Trivia Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 13067
Location: Missouri
"to use frugally; conserve"

_________________
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
Image
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:00 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm
Posts: 118
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
glitterboy2098 wrote:
"to use frugally; conserve"


Maybe I'm just really dense today (likely), but if that's the definition, I don't see how 'Volley X' is an excellent anti-missile system (or any system with ammo for that manner).


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:12 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:33 pm
Posts: 69
Missiles with anti missile shoot down missiles on a 4+, normal anti missile weapon 5+, normal shooting attack 6

_________________
RPGandTactics.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/RobotechRPGTacticsSoCal


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:20 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:52 am
Posts: 7
Missile systems will volley-x let you fire as much ammo as the situation requires.
If you were shooting at a Regult squadron, you may only fire off one missile per mecha as they Regults have anti missile and would have a chance of destroying a larger volley all at once.
If you were firing at a Recovery pod with no Anti missile, you could safely fire a larger volley as it could only dodge and it's only piloting 2.

Many of the volley-x missiles are higher strength, blast or longer range, and that's why ammo is more limited. Still you can husband the shots until an enemy is in the open with no defense then hammer them with an entire volley, especially the blast versions, just like in the Anime.

The volley-x missiles with lower damage like the quad RDS-2 boxes on the hips of a Tommahawk (R 12, MD 2), are designed for close defence against other missile attacks. It doesn't matter if their damage is low if you're only going to use the ammo to bring down other missiles, and doing it on a 4+ as Pythdamion pointed out, is great (Id' missed that point). You can still slam the entire set into a target if you're close enough. A full volley from the quad RDS's would do 16 damage in a single shot if not intercepted!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:37 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm
Posts: 118
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
robostralian wrote:
Missile systems will volley-x let you fire as much ammo as the situation requires.
If you were shooting at a Regult squadron, you may only fire off one missile per mecha as they Regults have anti missile and would have a chance of destroying a larger volley all at once.
If you were firing at a Recovery pod with no Anti missile, you could safely fire a larger volley as it could only dodge and it's only piloting 2.

Many of the volley-x missiles are higher strength, blast or longer range, and that's why ammo is more limited. Still you can husband the shots until an enemy is in the open with no defense then hammer them with an entire volley, especially the blast versions, just like in the Anime.

The volley-x missiles with lower damage like the quad RDS-2 boxes on the hips of a Tommahawk (R 12, MD 2), are designed for close defence against other missile attacks. It doesn't matter if their damage is low if you're only going to use the ammo to bring down other missiles, and doing it on a 4+ as Pythdamion pointed out, is great (Id' missed that point). You can still slam the entire set into a target if you're close enough. A full volley from the quad RDS's would do 16 damage in a single shot if not intercepted!


Nice summary!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:12 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:00 pm
Posts: 334
robostralian wrote:
Missile systems will volley-x let you fire as much ammo as the situation requires.
If you were shooting at a Regult squadron, you may only fire off one missile per mecha as they Regults have anti missile and would have a chance of destroying a larger volley all at once.
If you were firing at a Recovery pod with no Anti missile, you could safely fire a larger volley as it could only dodge and it's only piloting 2.

Many of the volley-x missiles are higher strength, blast or longer range, and that's why ammo is more limited. Still you can husband the shots until an enemy is in the open with no defense then hammer them with an entire volley, especially the blast versions, just like in the Anime.

The volley-x missiles with lower damage like the quad RDS-2 boxes on the hips of a Tommahawk (R 12, MD 2), are designed for close defence against other missile attacks. It doesn't matter if their damage is low if you're only going to use the ammo to bring down other missiles, and doing it on a 4+ as Pythdamion pointed out, is great (Id' missed that point). You can still slam the entire set into a target if you're close enough. A full volley from the quad RDS's would do 16 damage in a single shot if not intercepted!



That is correct. So Volley X weapons are ideal since you can limit you ammo expenditure until you want to use a large volley and go for the Kill. The Glaug can use one shot to shoot down missiles shot from a VT and then use the other 5 and hope that 4+ hit so that the unit cannot dodge.

Also the Tomahawk can use the hip missiles and save the shoulder 6 pack for someone who comes too close and fire the entire volley at them.

Volley X = less ammo overall typically but increased versatility and utility.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:18 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:00 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chesterton, IN
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.
Great Discussion and I agree!

_________________
Image
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:41 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:51 pm
Posts: 58
Not to mention the benifit Volly x Implies with the Mk.II Monsters Wich allows them to unleash a single turn of udder and complete hell on a target when necissary. However you can see the real benift when looking at the Phalanx destroids standard loadout with ammo 11 and volley 4(non anti missile) and suddenly you realize how difficult it is for that mecha to actually use the its maximum potential before death. Whereas something with volley X and a low MD due to damage, has a chance to unload one final time getting the most out of its weapon system.

_________________
Why are they using such primative weapons?


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group