Clear flight stands?

Use this area to ask questions and provide tips for assembling Robotech RPG Tactics™ mini's as well terrain sculpting.

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grabula
D-Bee

Clear flight stands?

Unread post by Grabula »

I'm just wondering what people are using for flight stands and where they are getting them? I don't like the supplied stands and like many people plan to replace them with clear stands.
In the middle of painting my first mecha!
jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Clear flight stands?

Unread post by jdarr5000 »

Thats going to be a hard one due to how the vt in flight mode has the gunpod where the model is sculpted to the the flightstand attached.

With out the gunpod a GW clear stand will almost plug into the hole where gunpod plugs in with some triming.

The other option will be the clear flight stands put out by Spartan games for some of thier game lines which will need modifciation for the conection to the model.

E-figures lists some of the clear flight stands in 10packs for about 13$.

E-figures lists clear flight stands for dropzone commander which look simular to the spartan games flight stands for 8$ 8 stands per pack.
I personaly don't own any of these so I don't have any idea on the compatablity more than likly will need some modifications as well.

Jdarr
Grabula
D-Bee

Unread post by Grabula »

sure, I assume some modification of course. I'll most likely just drill a hole into the gun pod for any stands I use, that's too easy. I typically pin flight stands anyway since they have a tendency to break and I don't like magnetizing them.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i plan to pick up some brass rod to make my own.. should be more durable. (i've had bad luck with clear plastic flight stands.. they tend to break on me)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Now for the next problem the models are too small to magnetize the missle pods easily or do you guys have an idea on that.
Grabula
D-Bee

Unread post by Grabula »

I feel ya glitterboy. I ended up pinning all my battlefleet gothic stands and they held together pretty well after that.

As for magnetizing small parts, they have some pretty small magnets - it might be a pain but you could probably pull it off with some work. I'm not going to bother personally. If the loadouts need to be wysiwyg well, I'll buy more models but the crowd I play with aren't sticklers for that sort of thing as long as you make it know they're not.

There's no easy way to do small bits like that really. The smallest magnets are probably the easiest but cosmetically it's going to be tough to hide since the wings are so thin.
jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thats what I was thinking and for the most part with the small bits
it will only come into play for tourments. What would realy matter is the load out list being correct either way

Such as in 2016 i wouldn't mind seeing us trying to get a tourment at Adepticon running or 2015 gencon

What sucks i'm also in a group trying to get a tournment at adepticon for another game system i play.

Jdarr
Grabula
D-Bee

Unread post by Grabula »

Shouldn't be a problem for me, I don't really do competitive events these days. I plan to do some big spectacle/storyline events at local cons so I need a ton of miniatures anyway. I figure I can spend the next 6-12 months building up my collection, terrain and getting the rules down and maybe streamlined a little then next year hit some conventions and run some all weekend narrative events involving 10-12 players at a time. That's the dream anyway.

I haven't seen the rules yet but I suspect they'll probably need an update before they're really balanced well for competitive play anyway.
Grabula
D-Bee

Unread post by Grabula »

Boom! http://www.litko.net/categories/Flight-Stands/

The cool thing is they have different heights all at reasonable prices.

Two questions, first does anyone know what size the bases are offhand?

Second, to confirm if I bought battlecry I'm getting 7 valkyrie (2 modes can use flight stands) for 10 flight stands, a Quel-Gulnau that will need a flight stand as well for a total of 11 flight stands?

I feel like the battlecry level came with more stuff but I can't find the complete list.
slaaneshgod
Wanderer

Unread post by slaaneshgod »

I have my battlcry and it comes with 9 Valkyrie in all 3 forms (10 battleoid), 2 glaug, 2 recon, 2 redcovery pod, 4 artillery pod, 2 of each destroid(spartan, phalanx, defender, tomahawk), 24 battlepods(3 per sprue 1 in each sprue has flight stand). Bringing the total flight stands to 30 I believe. Hope that helps. I might modify some later stuff but for the kick starter stuff I'm just going to assemble as is. I am trying to figure out how to magnetize weapon options for phalanx, zent artillery pods, spartan, and valks. And trying to magnetize valk heads ( this is actually the hardest one but I don't mind the small magnet just glued to bottom of wing real fighters with wing mounted weapon's have a Mount it won't even seem out of place with the wings just being wing with no actual weapon mount. Artillery pods should be too bad magnetize main post and inside missile pods. Just the arms on phalanx and a set of right arms and a club for Spartans.
May the killer rabbit eternal servant of chaos always prevail!
Prince of Excess!!!
Grabula
D-Bee

Unread post by Grabula »

I'd planned on ordering about 50 stands anyway, I think we have more stuff coming in wave 2 for battlecry? Either way I have a lot of collecting to do so will need stands down the road.

I'm going to skip magnetizing. I know it can save a little money but really these models are small enough for it to be a pain to work around plus some other issues I've run into with magnetizing models. I figure I'll buy most of what I need so I can just assemble, and not sweat the little details for wysiwyg. Since I'm not doing competitive events and will most likely be spearheading interest in my area it shouldn't be an issue anyway.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

As far I have seen or heard, wysiwyg is not an issue. They went with a more Battletech like approach. Your card marks what you have not your mini.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Grabula
D-Bee

Unread post by Grabula »

Yeah, I don't think it's as important in a game like this where models that look alike perform basically the same and only have a few modifications. In games with larger miniatures counts or models that can have a lot of variation I can see why some people are sticklers about it. I tend to be as well but I just tend to buy enough models to cover all the variations and that's my plan here too. There's a good chance after a few months and once the models go on sale I'll be wysiwyg about 99% of the time!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Well the thing is games like 40K don't have "sheets" for individual minis. They are all a single thing and the wysiwyg is what lets you know who has what where RRT (like BT) each mini has its own "sheet" to detail that.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

yep. IMO, use the hard points you think look best, and don't worry about it.
heck, you should also be able to use stuff from other manufacturers (like GHQ's assortment, for variety) as well..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Modelling & Terrain”