How are things done in your group?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thom001
Explorer

How are things done in your group?

Unread post by Thom001 »

Hi everyone, I have been reading through some of the topics here and I started to wonder how you guys decide what kind of campaign you are going to play and such? I know for my group each player or gm has a list of game types and settings they want to play in. When it is time to play another campaign we have already marked off who has gotten to play in their game type or setting and we talk (or argue sometimes) until we decide what the next will be. After that a gm is selected, as we do not have a set gm, based one who can run this type of game best and then we sit down and talk or text or email our ideas between players and gm or player to player until everyone has a character and wait on the gm to create the game.

However, when I was younger the gm would rotate and based on the gm chosen that would dictate what kind of game because of gm strengths and weaknesses.

Granted the way my group does it vs the way that group did it takes much much longer.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Re: How are things done in your group?

Unread post by Grell »

I propose a campaign idea and see if I can get at least 4 of my players on board. If so, game on. If not, propose something else. :)

My group has multiple GMs, but our campaigns are all independent ventures.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I run drop-in games. There's a game every week and I don't guarantee what it will be. If people show up, and they usually do, they play what I'm running that night. It's kind of nice to have that kind of autonomy. I think for more established groups it would be better to work out a theme that everybody is interested in though.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I'm basically the only consistent GM. So I get to decide, but ultimately I go off player feedback. if you put them in situations they won't find fun, everyone suffers.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

With the group I am in we have an established set of worlds and when we start a new campaign one of us volunteers to be the primary gm and they purpose the theme. We as a group decide the details and characters. All of us will gm runs within the basic story line.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

If I have an idea I pitch it. If the players like it, I begin writing. Whilst playing the current one.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I usually try to sell them on what I want to do, which is usually space-based Rifts campaigns. But if all else fails we play Shadowrun.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

The 1st session is working out this stuff so everyone doesnt show up and the CS diehard find himself in a room with a dragon a necromancer and a TW juicer
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Riftmaker wrote:The 1st session is working out this stuff so everyone doesnt show up and the CS diehard find himself in a room with a dragon a necromancer and a TW juicer

Sounds like a good opportunity for role-play to me. :D

Return to “G.M.s Forum”