Ways to speed up charter generation.

Discussion of the Megaversal Ambassador program.

Moderators: Reelman, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Ways to speed up charter generation.

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Hello,
I know I am not a megaversal Ambasador but I figured if any one would have feed back on this It would most likely be you guys.

I found a game group at a college near were I live and got them to agree to play Rifts. The group has players that drop in and out typically there can be 3-6 people playing in a game. They are not familiar with palladium charter generation system. I only bring one copy of the core book with me, along with several relevant books.

So given that charter creation tends to take the most amount of time I came up with a idea to stream line it and reduce book lock.

The idea is charter generation hand outs that contain the list of skills by type and %, hand to hand table what stats mean and alignment as well as a step by step walk threw. That would serve as a general guide then once they pick a race and Occ make a copy of that page for them to use for charter creation. My goal is to limit the amount of time spent waiting on a book as well as flipping threw the book to pick skills.

Does this sound feasible, would it not violate any Palladium intellectual properties and is there anything else I should include in the hand out to speed up charter creation?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Ways to speed up charter generation.

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I've been messing around with a similar idea. I think it's a great idea!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Might even make a good box set for players.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

A character template for normal skills of x OCC is a basic for my NPC's, and something I use to help new players.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I usually produce a stack of pregenerated characters to expedite immediate play, then work on custom characters as time permits. You could include a few options, like skills, powers, and equipment, on each character to let players customize them.

I wrote up a guided character generation one time, describing each step with an appropriate space or checkbox for each option to be filled in. For the Black Market Banker, it came up to six pages without equipment. Admittedly, the skills took up the majority of that. Having all of the skill options clearly laid out was very nice though. I wouldn't actually recommend going this route simply because it took more time to make than I felt it was worth. Look it over, if you like.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

If you want new players to try your game, you need pregens and you get 2 pages (or 1 double sided).

When running a demo, you have 15 minutes of intro before the game has to start, you get bored players. In that 15 minutes, you explain the pregens, pass them out, explain the basics of how to play, the basics of the RPG setting and BLAMMO!!! It's time to get into that actual adventure.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I hear ya. Having about 25 quick pregens is a great resource.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog

Return to “Megaversal Ambassadors”