Some interesting numbers.

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Some interesting numbers.

Unread post by 13eowulf »

So, I have run into a few interesting scenarios, which leads to questions, questions I have not yet firmly answered.

I would appreciate any useful input on this.
I AM aware that these are some very specific/unique circumstances, but I have encountered them, and resolving such will serve as a basis for future similar encounters.

Sea Inquisitors have a special ability that allows them to, with even their bare fists, damage supernatural beings at double the normal damage (and even if an SDC punch normally, it will inflict MD against supernatural beings in settings such as Rifts, but it will also double the damage of an MD strike).
However, this leads to some interesting situations.

For example, if an Inquisitor who also happened to have Robotic PS of 15 punched a Supernatural being, the would inflict 4D6 damage (doubled from the 2D6 SDC punch of the inquisitor).
BUT if an Inquisitor who happens to have a Supernatural PS of 16 punched the SAME creature, he (or she) would only inflect 2D6 damage. This is because their punch damage is 1D6 MD, which, while doubled, and naturally MD, is less dice than the SDC punch of the Inquisitor.

Should this be rectified, should the one with SNPS use restrained punches to do more damage? (for the record a restrained punch from the one with SNPS would inflict 6D6 damage to the creature, 3D6 SDC doubled).

A second issue is that of the WI-SR15 Rifle from Merc Ops (as an example for many WI weapons).
If a Shooter (lets just say an elvish juicer, for giggles) is making single round shots on vampires with silver ammo, because he has range and is sniping, or whatever, he is doing 2D8x10 damage per shot (1D8x10 SDC, doubled for being silver).
However if the vamp or vamps close, and he switches to 3-round burst mode he is now doing 2 points of damage per shot (listed damage is 1 MD).
If further he switches to 10-round bursts he is now doing 2D4 damage (listed damage is 1D4 MD). Now for the 10 round burst an alternate damage of 1D4x100 is listed, which against vampires and using silver ammo is 2D4x100,

How would you resolve this? Would you make up SDC damage for the 3-round burst and use it? Would you use the primarily listed MD stats for the 10 round burst, or the SDC damage that is in parenthesis?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Some interesting numbers.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

i'd rule the sea inquisitor can't deal megadamage with a robot arm...that's just me. For the purpose of "well what if something else does more SDC than MDC and the SDC gets to be converted to MDC (as in the SR-15 in your example)", i'd go with whatever does more damage.

Like, say a sea-inquisitor was wearing an exo-skeleton that gave a robot PS of 25, but their actual strength was a 30. I'd go off the 30 PS, in SDC, doubling the damage bonus as well as the XdX of the punch damage, then convert to mega-damage.

Though I'm unaware of any real ruling on this.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Alrik Vas wrote:i'd rule the sea inquisitor can't deal megadamage with a robot arm...that's just me. For the purpose of "well what if something else does more SDC than MDC and the SDC gets to be converted to MDC (as in the SR-15 in your example)", i'd go with whatever does more damage.

Like, say a sea-inquisitor was wearing an exo-skeleton that gave a robot PS of 25, but their actual strength was a 30. I'd go off the 30 PS, in SDC, doubling the damage bonus as well as the XdX of the punch damage, then convert to mega-damage.

Though I'm unaware of any real ruling on this.

But what if the Strength of the Sea Inquisitor (Robot or SN) was their natural PS, because they are a (mortal) D-Bee race with that PS level? (Robot PS is also known as Superhuman, Beastly, and Splicer PS, and it is not just for actual robots), and they were punching with bare fists?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Ah, sea-inquisitors don't automatically get SN PS, then?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Alrik Vas wrote:Ah, sea-inquisitors don't automatically get SN PS, then?

They do not, they just get a special ability that allows them to inflict double damage to supernatural creatures with any attack or weapon, even if it is SDC.

(You may be thinking of Sea Titans)
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Not sure how much I can help but off the top of my head ...

Supernatural Strength: Instead of using the Rifts M.D. values provided, you may look into a S.D.C. setting such as Palladium Fantasy or Heroes Unlimited. This will provide S.D.C. damage values for Supernatural Strength. Use that table, then double it. This will provide a greater range of damage without punishing the Supernatural P.S. character for being too strong.

Weapon Values: Same as above, when possible. However, with Rifts sometimes that just won't be possible. I believe in RMB (original) short bursts (20% magazine) did x2 damage, long bursts (50% magazine) did x5 damage, and entire magazines (100% magazine and costs 2 attacks) did x10. Something similar can be done here. So, for example, a 3 shot burst would be x2 damage, a 10 shot burst would be x5. I don't know the size of the magazines in question, but providing figures off the top of my head which can provide a simple yet effective solution (imo). Note: This can still provide some unusual situations, such as someone using a 2D6 S.D.C. pistol doing more damage than a 1D6 M.D. Big Bore weapon (quick example). This is not a fix all solution, but can fix some.

Hope those help. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I can see the issue, yeah. Well, then either say sdc punches are 1d4+PS converted to MDC no matter what (when they use this ability) or slow even other PS types to deal their restrained, sdc punch, doubled as MDC.

If the restrained punch is MDC because the PS is too high, give them their damage bonus as an add.

Do the same thing for the rifle, let the 1 MD equal 100 damage to the vamp.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”