Feeding Time

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Feeding Time

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

How long does it take to feed a psi-stalker, psi-slayer or other PPE vampire? Is it anything like in the movie "Highlander"? As the GM do you simply say: "it had 106 PPE so you eat 212"? Is the killing blow all that it takes and can it be done in combat? Does it use an action?

In short (too late), how do you run it?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Feeding Time

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Highlander....No
It only takes a single cut to the skin for the PS to feed.
To put it in game terms...less then an APM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Feeding Time

Unread post by Prysus »

RiftJunkie wrote:How long does it take to feed a psi-stalker, psi-slayer or other PPE vampire?

Greetings and Salutations. RUE, page 153 says: "The absorption process is instaneous (about 5 seconds)."

RiftJunkie wrote:Is it anything like in the movie "Highlander"?

Never gave it much thought. My original thought would be closer to a vampire or causing a hickey (over the cut/wound to be feasted upon). Though if you want a cooler visual, I'd think something more like a scene from Cat's Eye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJM2jgPe6Ew

RiftJunkie wrote:As the GM do you simply say: "it had 106 PPE so you eat 212"?

Only if they killed the victim (death is not required). Though we already have how long it takes, and that it absorbs all the victim's P.P.E. (they can't stop and drain just a portion, all or nothing). So it depends on the situation how detailed it would be.

First time I'm describing it, the scene might involve a lot more visual/flare to really paint the scene, describing the taste of the essence, reaction of the victim (if still alive), etc. Beyond that I probably wouldn't go into much detail though, unless it was important. So if the Psi-Stalker was feasting on a friend, I'd be more inclined to describe it in detail to represent the horror of the act. Or if the victim had a strange P.P.E. for some reason, might describe the odd taste and a possible ill-reaction to it. However, I wouldn't bother describing it in much more detail than I would someone's lunch or dinner (I do at times, when I feel it's appropriate).

RiftJunkie wrote:Is the killing blow all that it takes and can it be done in combat?

Doesn't have to be a killing blow, only a "cut (1D6 S.D.C. or 1D4 M.D.)." Another requirement though for this method is to "physically capture the prey." So I'd say no, not in the middle of combat ... unless you already have the victim restrained. Though this is the non-lethal method.

For the lethal method, they can probably do it in the midst of combat. I'd say they need to know that this will be the killing blow though. As a visual example, I'm thinking those movies where they knock down the opponent, get on top of them, pin the arms with their legs (body positioned on top of the chest), dagger held up, then plunge it down (either into the chest or neck or whatever). Victim dies and they can feast. That's just one example. But this would be hard to do in general combat, and impossible if done at range (so if you just blew up a guy's head with your laser pistol, you can't feast on his P.P.E.). Note: Yes, it does mention feeding from a range (on page 154), but I think this is in reference to the excess energy mentioned on page 153, the P.P.E. that exceeds the 300 mark (so only very powerful targets). So if you kill a dragon at range, this might be an exception. But this would be the exception, not the rule.

RiftJunkie wrote:Does it use an action?

We know it takes 5 seconds, so I'd say yes. Regardless of how many attacks/actions per melee round though, I'd still say only 1 action (because it also says instaneous, similar to the use of other psionic powers). To try and kill in combat, I'd say you need to spend your next action to feed. This is used regardless if you kill or not.

Example: Your Psi-Stalker is trying to feed in the middle of combat. You attack and want to feast on his P.P.E. at the time of death. This requires specific timing. You think he's about to die (one more attack should do it). You declare your intention to attack and feast (two actions). So even if your attack does NOT kill your prey, you still lose the second attack/action. This allows use during combat, while still providing a limiting factor. It's a gamble, and this is why captured/restrained victims are better.

RiftJunkie wrote:In short (too late), how do you run it?

I don't run Rifts, so I don't deal with the situation at all. But, if I had to, the above is probably how I would do so (most of it taken as best I can from canon, with a little extra touch added in by me). Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”