An interesting question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

An interesting question

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

One of the other players in my group has asked an interesting question. If a mage memorizes a location to Teleport to and then is placed in stasis for 5000 years, can he still teleport to the memorized location?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Galroth
Adventurer

Re: An interesting question

Unread post by Galroth »

SpiritInterface wrote:One of the other players in my group has asked an interesting question. If a mage memorizes a location to Teleport to and then is placed in stasis for 5000 years, can he still teleport to the memorized location?

I'd say it would depend on how much the location has changed in my opinion. The ability to teleport someplace is based on familiarity with the location as it is currently.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Yes, but after 5 years, 50 years or even 5,000 years, his chance of success would be based on how closely its current state matches what the caster remembers. If it hasn't changed at all (or only in minor, insignificant ways) then he retains the high percentage chance to succeed. As the location has deteriorated/changed with time, the chance will decrease until it's basically just a location he's heard of, but never seen.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I agree with the others. It would be based upon how much the site has changed in the intervening period.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Fact. Look at Thermopylae then and now...not the same place.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

How much of a change are we talking about? Is simply rearranging the furniture enough, or re-purposing the space? Or is major changes needed? And what would be the effect? A reduced chance of success or other negative effects?

Side question I read somewhere that teleport will not let you send an object or person into another object or person but I can't remember where they talks about it.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I'd say you can, sinse the physical location is the same, but doing so could be highly dangerous. after all, if you teleport to there now, and someone built a wall right where you are teleporting to...instant death.

The question isn't so much "Can you teleport to an area after someone has completely changed it" but "Does changing it remove it as a teleport location, and if so how much"

After all, it dosn't take 5000 years for a place to change. one really big war and rebuilding effort could completely level and rebuild a place in as little as 10 yeras.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Furoan
Wanderer

Unread post by Furoan »

I'm not sure you CAN telefrag somebody with Palladium teleporting but I'd more more worried with 'I teleport to where the top of hte hill use d to be but somebody went and dug a hundred meter deep auditorium and I start falling instantly' rather than teleporting into something.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Furoan wrote:I'm not sure you CAN telefrag somebody with Palladium teleporting but I'd more more worried with 'I teleport to where the top of hte hill use d to be but somebody went and dug a hundred meter deep auditorium and I start falling instantly' rather than teleporting into something.

Ummm, the chance to teleport into a solid object and die instantly is right in the teleport superor spell. Try reading it. even if your teleporting 1 foot to your left, you have a 1% chance to fail, where you have a 2% chance to teleport into a solid object and die instantly. the odds go up the less familiar you are with an area.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Furoan
Wanderer

Unread post by Furoan »

Ah, well shows what I know, Sorry I must have been thinking of something else.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”