looking for advantages and disadvantages

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

quertas
D-Bee

looking for advantages and disadvantages

Unread post by quertas »

ie. advantages are like +10% on a certain skill category, +5PS, +6d6x100000 credits
Disadvatages are like -10% science, an insanity, - a number from a stat, or -15 ISP
those are but a few.. im looking for more... any ideas would be welcome

thanks quertas
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: looking for advantages and disadvantages

Unread post by Glistam »

I've never seen disadvantages per se, except perhaps in Rifts: Ultimate Edition in the section for low attributes. There are some tables for advantages, the one I'm most familiar with is in Rifts: Lone Star in the section on Mutant Humans. I've also seen similar tables in Robotech: Shadow Chronicles and the Nightbane Survival Guide.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

quertas wrote:ie. advantages are like +10% on a certain skill category, +5PS, +6d6x100000 credits
Disadvatages are like -10% science, an insanity, - a number from a stat, or -15 ISP

thanks quertas

With out a more detailed focus for the question it is hard to give you answers. Are you wanting race, rcc, occ/pcc related modifiers? Educational modifiers? Equipment modifiers? Situational modifiers? Modifiers due to aging, illness, or impairment?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

SpiritInterface wrote:
quertas wrote:ie. advantages are like +10% on a certain skill category, +5PS, +6d6x100000 credits

thanks quertas

With out a more detailed focus for the question it is hard to give you answers. Are you wanting race, rcc, occ/pcc related modifiers? Educational modifiers? Equipment modifiers? Situational modifiers? Modifiers due to aging, illness, or impairment?

PF has age related modifiers.
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

im looking for modifier that affect the character in some way... i created something in game that grants powers and such and weeknesses (negatives).. so im open too all modifeirs
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

There are only a couple official options. In essence, by choosing a Physical skill over another option, you're trading knowledge for a stat bonus. Some of the morphus options from Nightbane include both advantages and disadvantages if I remember correctly.

That said, the game is what you make of it. If you decide a player can gain a stat bonus, extra skills, or a superhuman power by taking on an insanity for his or her character, who's going to argue with you?
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

gotcha and thanks.. this item is a deck of cards of approximately 81 cards, right-side up and upside down give cards 2 options. There are currently close to half positive and half negatives. i got several mental disorders, minuses to stats and skill categories, vulnerbilities, minus to ppe and isp, to saves and combat rolls, credits, hp/sdc/mdc, negatives to singular skills, false auras (will be hunted), mortal 1d10 years,

Postives: pluses to stats, saves, combat rolls, xp bouns, +1 level, +1 level to a 2nd occ, super power, minor powers, isp and ppe gains with additional spells/powers, immortality, resistances to fire etc., card polarity, increased strength category, no skill cap for 7 skills, bonuses to skills, a wish.. and so on and so forth... so i thoughti would ask and see what otehr goodies the megaverse could come up with

thanks
curtis
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

quertas wrote:gotcha and thanks.. this item is a deck of cards of approximately 81 cards, right-side up and upside down give cards 2 options. There are currently close to half positive and half negatives. i got several mental disorders, minuses to stats and skill categories, vulnerbilities, minus to ppe and isp, to saves and combat rolls, credits, hp/sdc/mdc, negatives to singular skills, false auras (will be hunted), mortal 1d10 years,

Postives: pluses to stats, saves, combat rolls, xp bouns, +1 level, +1 level to a 2nd occ, super power, minor powers, isp and ppe gains with additional spells/powers, immortality, resistances to fire etc., card polarity, increased strength category, no skill cap for 7 skills, bonuses to skills, a wish.. and so on and so forth... so i thoughti would ask and see what otehr goodies the megaverse could come up with

thanks
curtis

Please tell me you aren't pulling out the old school D&D Deck of Many things for Rifts? Really? While part of me is like 'Kick Ass that is Awesome' other parts of me are screaming 'Monty Hall' run away!
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

well i wanted a deck and saw only the deck of many things... but i tried to stay away form anything in the deck of many things... although i did create a deck for rifts.. what its called is beyond me.. i hope i havent crossed any boundries.
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

i have used it in games for about a year now.. my player seem cool with it.. i have created several chars with deck mods, the deck of cards im using ( of course that part is trademarked :P) is the cardsd from the fifth age of dragonlance rpg that one played with cards. also with the deck one can cancel out a negative by sacrificng a positive card.. trading 2 positive cards will change a negative, and 3 positive cards traded to pick ur own abilitiy. still working on the trade ins of cards.. might be a bit much.. but only time will tell
curtis
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

While this type of deck can totally break a D&D game, it may not break Rifts due to the nature of how Rifts is so wide open.

Interesting, would love a report on how much it effected your game.
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

i havent been able to play too much.. but on character generation it works nicely i figure. the PCs were eager to pick cards... .. hmm what more can i say? for instance i sent a samas against them and they still ran.. nothing game breaking.. which i love rifts for being so wide open. some cards allow for the drawing of extra card.. like every 9 and dragon cards.. with the 9 and 10 of dragons drawing 2 extra cards. the fifth age cards are neat cause they have 9 suits of 9 cards per suit except dragons which are 10.. and im missing some cards..maybe aboput 5 or so :) i have a couple negative slots open and cant think of any to put in there.
hmm....
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

i just drew this...
+50isp/ppe 1d10 spells or 1 super or 1d10 minors
-10% electrical
+1 saves
heal x4
-5iq
+1 saves
+50 ppe/isp (Save as above)
-4 initiative
mex3 or pe x 3 = isp/ppe (same as above for spells etc)
-5 pe
vulnerble to magic
+1 lv 2nd occ
choose 1
vulnerble to energy
+50 ppe/isp
-10% physicall
+4 perceptions
so that is not so bad...

Return to “G.M.s Forum”