Mechanoids vs Supers

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Mechanoids vs Supers

Unread post by Warshield73 »

say652 wrote:In an Mdc setting a high tech populace, like rifts Earth could hold them off. Added benefit the satellite defense system. Good luck using handwavium to knock them outa the sky. Jussayin.

The Earth Containment system is not anti-invasion, it is containment. The satellite defense system didn't do jack to the Arkohn invasion fleet until they started to land on Earth. The only reason the Arkohn did not completely destroy the orbital community is because the Rifts caused them to separate by decades and they were defeated piecemeal. If a small Arkohn force can hurt the orbitals that bad and get a force that large onto the Earth's surface a Mechanoid Mothership can slice and dice.

The Earth orbital stations don't have the numbers to even slow down the Mechanoids and long range missile bombardment by a mobile force against fixed stationary defenses is not handwavium, it's just good tactics.

say652 wrote:I came to the conclusion mechanoids blow.

A tad harsh, but some of us still love them. To me they are like technological demons or a force of nature. You can't reason with them and you can't beat them. All you can do is run and survive. But I do understand why some people don't like an enemy this powerful.

say652 wrote:In an sdc setting, Bwahahaha supers would own them.

Each Mechanoid is the equivalent of psionic tank with energy weapons, only a few supers in any of the Heroes Unlimited books can stand up to the SDC Mechanoids.

say652 wrote:Bullies are only strong against the weak.

True of Mechanoids, true of supers too.

say652 wrote:Mechanoids=space roaches.

OK, very harsh. Wow.

Spinachcat wrote:Supers do great 1v1 with Mechanoids, but the Mechanoids have the overwhelming numbers that become an issue for Supers. However, I have found Supers make great additional characters to a Mechanoid Invasion campaign.

And yeah, HU should be used with the original SDC Mechanoids books. The conversion stuff is just that much easier.

Mechanoids are like demons, Splugorth minions, CS soldiers, or even super heroes. A player group can beat them if the numbers are not to high and they have to run if the numbers are.

Supers, psychics, mages, veritech fighters are all great additions to a Mechanoid campaign. I have always wanted to do an Aliens Unlimited campaign where a Mechanoid invasion is part of the plot.

If you are going to put Mechanoids in an SDC setting they should be SDC, but I really like the new body styles from the Rifts SB2, so much more imaginative. I prefer to use those instead of the old style.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

From a player's perspective, the thing that sucks about the Mechanoids is that it's extremely difficult to make a profit from fighting them.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

flatline wrote:From a player's perspective, the thing that sucks about the Mechanoids is that it's extremely difficult to make a profit from fighting them.

--flatline

Unless you use missiles and completely obliterate them there are always parts. Examples of advanced robotics, advanced particle beam technology, new alloys and if they hit a robot or a mechanoid with a lucky shot and it shuts down, you get a reasonably intact mechanoid or combat robot.

My players made millions selling parts and weapons to Northern Gun, Wilks, Triax, even Bandito Arms. Players just have to be imaginative and spend some time making the right contacts.

By contrast they never made much money fighting demons. Even if a demon had a magical weapon that they could take it was usually so evil that the only people that might use it would be people that they would never want to have it.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Warshield73 wrote:
flatline wrote:From a player's perspective, the thing that sucks about the Mechanoids is that it's extremely difficult to make a profit from fighting them.

--flatline

Unless you use missiles and completely obliterate them there are always parts. Examples of advanced robotics, advanced particle beam technology, new alloys and if they hit a robot or a mechanoid with a lucky shot and it shuts down, you get a reasonably intact mechanoid or combat robot.

My players made millions selling parts and weapons to Northern Gun, Wilks, Triax, even Bandito Arms. Players just have to be imaginative and spend some time making the right contacts.

By contrast they never made much money fighting demons. Even if a demon had a magical weapon that they could take it was usually so evil that the only people that might use it would be people that they would never want to have it.

Three Words. "Mechanoid Power Crystals"
So every mechanoid is a wandering loot piñata (to steal a term from elsewhere). That's BEFORE the value of salvage, or bounties, or rewards......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:Three Words. "Mechanoid Power Crystals"
So every mechanoid is a wandering loot piñata (to steal a term from elsewhere). That's BEFORE the value of salvage, or bounties, or rewards......

I had forgotten all about this, mainly because my players never sold them (1 or 2 to Wilks, NG, or Triax) they just used them for there vehicles. But you're right, these are the most important items to recover.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

eliakon wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

--flatline

How do your players learn about the existence of the mechanoid power crystals?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

--flatline

How do your players learn about the existence of the mechanoid power crystals?

--flatline

The most common way was finding out when the mechanic/scientist/scholar in the group studies a downed Mechanoid. This is usually done rather quickly so they can understand what they are facing. Its pretty easy to find the power source of something after all. In places where Mechanoids are common enough to warrant bounties or such, its usually already well known enough. If for no other reason than they power crystals are valuable enough to have bounties on them in their own right. (I am talking the smaller crystals that power each individual mechanoid, not the giant mother crystal on the ship btw.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

We tend to dissect and analyze what we kill.

Not to mention sell all the parts.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:We tend to dissect and analyze what we kill.

Not to mention sell all the parts.

Yeah, most of my players even chop up the monsters to sell to scientists and mages. Kind of disgusting to me but as one of players liked to say "medium range missiles aint cheap."

Tech stuff always got chopped up, by every player group I ever ran. Even some of the convention games I have run some players still try to do this, even thought they will never play the character again.

Return to “The Mechanoids®”