Cyber-Knight (Rifts) Cyber-Armor and the nano-plaque

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Cyber-Knight (Rifts) Cyber-Armor and the nano-plaque

Unread post by Tor »

Page 13 of Splicers explicitly mentions Cyber-Knights alongside Headhunters as guys who would have problems due to their bionics/cybernetics.

Do you think this would always be the case with Cyber-Knights, or is it only a problem with low-level ones? Due to the special Techno-Wizard ritual used on their armor, it becomes a living part of them (begins to heal) at higher levels. I am wondering if this might make it resistance to the nanobot plaque, similar to how the Crazy's MOM implants are immune to it.

Techno-Wizard items are mentioned as being vulnerable to the plaque, so I assume even low-level Cyber-Knights would have some protection, even though the doubled time is probably still too little to safely remove the implants.

It's mainly the 'living' part I'm wondering about. A high-level Cyber-Knight cyber-armor seems more like APS Metal from HU, and I figure living-metal type stuff might be immune, though I'm not sure.

I assume a Juicer's Bio-Comp is also, since the problem Juicers are described experiencing is running out of drugs. If their needle system attacked them then running out of drugs would be a negligible concern. I assume Crazy/Juicer tech is made of non-metal stuff that the nanobots can't digest.

Page 13 mentions nanobots reacting to touching "bare skin". Does this mean that full conversion cyborgs would be protected, since they don't have any skin and are just a brain?

13 mentions "held, carried or worn" as criteria for what you infect in other dimensions. Does this mean held in bare hands, carried over a bare shoulder, or worn over bare skin?

I guess I'm wondering why people don't just wear leather gloves to handle technology. I feel like I might have read something related to this in the core book, but forgot where. It's such an easy fix I'm thinking there should be a longer radius than bare-skin-touch. Even something like a 1 foot proximity to tech activation would correct this work-around. Crafty people could just use long tongs though I guess...

Also wondering if metal stuff reacts to touching the Splicers Host Armor...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Cyber-Knight (Rifts) Cyber-Armor and the nano-plaque

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Good questions all around Tor. Here would be my take:

Tor wrote:Do you think this would always be the case with Cyber-Knights,

Since the section specifically names Cyber Knights, I would say the reaction would hit regardless of level. Additionally, since Splicers is a magic "dead zone", I'd argue this would neutralize any sort of protection the ritual might offer. I do like the idea of it taking twice as long, like TW items and would probably use that in my game. I might even give high level Cyber Knights extra time (hours instead of minutes or seconds, for example) before the armor goes nuts. But ultimately, between the magic dead zone and implants, it should only be a matter of time.

Tor wrote:I assume a Juicer's Bio-Comp is also, since the problem Juicers are described experiencing is running out of drugs. If their needle system attacked them then running out of drugs would be a negligible concern. I assume Crazy/Juicer tech is made of non-metal stuff that the nanobots can't digest.

Probably. High impact plastics, ceramics, something along that line. This is a bit of a grey area; I don't think the harness construction or make up is ever spelled out. The way Juicers in action are described, I think it's safe to say the harness would be something fairly flexible to allow for the best mobility.

Tor wrote:Page 13 mentions nanobots reacting to touching "bare skin". Does this mean that full conversion cyborgs would be protected, since they don't have any skin and are just a brain?

Depends on the Borg and implants but most will be screwed right off the bat. While their bodies may be destroyed, their brains or other organic systems might survive. It's sounds outlandish, but this is a world where 3 headed, napalm breathing dragons can be created in a matter of months. Creating a new "body" or simulacrum to house exsisting organic components would be child's play. But, it's worth nothing that cybernetic Bio-Systems are not affected by the plague because they are, in effect, organic.

Tor wrote:13 mentions "held, carried or worn" as criteria for what you infect in other dimensions. Does this mean held in bare hands, carried over a bare shoulder, or worn over bare skin?

I guess I'm wondering why people don't just wear leather gloves to handle technology. I feel like I might have read something related to this in the core book, but forgot where. It's such an easy fix I'm thinking there should be a longer radius than bare-skin-touch. Even something like a 1 foot proximity to tech activation would correct this work-around. Crafty people could just use long tongs though I guess...

Carried at all, over the shoulder, in a pocket, even with gloves or tongs. A roll has to be made for each metallic item on the character's person. Page 10: ""Even using thick gloves and insulation, like ceramic handles or plastic tongs, to prevent direct contact has proven to be only partially effective, approximately doubling the time before the plague response occurs. The nanobots seem to be smart enough, if that is the word for it, to detect any such methods of indirect contact and still respond by attacking humans."

The only exceptions are precious metals, which can be handled by anyone.

Tor wrote:Also wondering if metal stuff reacts to touching the Splicers Host Armor...

Indeed it does. The nanobots are programmed to react to prolonged contact between any biological tissue and metal. There are some exceptions. Insectoid beings activate the plague, though it takes hours of prolonged exposure (tum minutes into hours, seconds into minutes) before that happens. Intelligent beings of unusual organic life forms - i.e., silicon/rock or plant/vegetation beings -do not trigger a reaction and can use metal devices, weapons, and parts with no adverse reaction.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

minor side note: "organic life" is generally referring to carbon-based life forms. plant creatures might be unusual organic-based life forms(which might mean that photosynthetic host armours and such might count as touching metals indirectly, potentially at least), but silicon-based life forms would generally not be considered organic.

on full conversion 'borgs: they'd be fine for a fairly long period of time. the game does specifically note that environmental systems will prevent contamination until the seal is broken... while a human will likely need to unseal EBA before more than a day or so (to eat, drink, use the toilet, or potentially even sleep depending on how uncomfortable the armour is), a 'borg should be just fine... until they need to resupply whatever it is they use to feed the small portion of their body that is alive, in any event. which, realistically, should include at some point taking oxygen from outside of their body. still, it should be able to last for quite a while.

i think the book actually goes so far as to state they can last indefinitely, but that should only work for so long before they get contaminated. unless we presume 'borg systems are supplied with a nanobot hive that produces nanite hunters capable of keeping the 'borg intake systems completely free of hostile nanobots for some reason, in spite of a constant assault from an *extremely* advanced form of nanotechnology which they have absolutely no reason to be protected from.

which is all somewhat of a moot point. as a 'borg, if you're touched by any animal or get any blood spattered on you or anything like that, you're pretty much completely screwed anyways. theoretically you could last for a long time. practically speaking, you're only going to last for very long if you're a total hermit who never comes in contact with any living creature ever again, considering how little it takes to have your arm or leg turn against you or something like that.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I guess I just think that if living cyber-armor can be turned, then APS metal guys could be too. Might also be the case with the armor that Cosmo-Knights and Demon Knights have, although neither is explicitly metal and we're left guessing what it's made of.

Seeing as how all these things are living parts of people which heal (and low-magic dimensions don't negate that) it just seems like they would be nanite-resistant in some way.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

APS metal guys turn into metal. there's no human inside left to come in contact with (though i expect it's *really* annoying to get covered in blood or something).
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Return to “Splicers®”