Building catch-all adventurer's kits

Discussion of the Megaversal Ambassador program.

Moderators: Reelman, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Building catch-all adventurer's kits

Unread post by Sardukar »

I am looking for ideas to create and compile standardized adventuring/survival kits (like the NG-S2 or ninja emergency kits) for a variety of game worlds (Splicers, PFRPG, Rifts: High Tech, Rifts: Low Tech, etc.). The ultimate goal is to put them in an easy to reference PDF for MAs and players. Thoughts?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Building catch-all adventurer's kits

Unread post by Bill »

Seems highly dependent on backstory. What would be more valuable, in my opinion, would be a set of tables reflecting the contents of shops encountered in different areas; divided by power-source (tech, magic, psi) and scarcity.
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Bill wrote:Seems highly dependent on backstory. What would be more valuable, in my opinion, would be a set of tables reflecting the contents of shops encountered in different areas; divided by power-source (tech, magic, psi) and scarcity.

That would come in handy. It could also give some basic stats such as appraise and barter skills, psionics, magic spells of the shopkeeper(s), bodyguards/security stats, GM notes, etc.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Bill wrote:Seems highly dependent on backstory. What would be more valuable, in my opinion, would be a set of tables reflecting the contents of shops encountered in different areas; divided by power-source (tech, magic, psi) and scarcity.

Agreed. I am starting a new campaign next week and I was trying to come up with a list of available gear to be purchased. Adding in the year that certain products become available would also be a lot of help to those of us starting a campaign before 109.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Sardukar wrote:

That would come in handy. It could also give some basic stats such as appraise and barter skills, psionics, magic spells of the shopkeeper(s), bodyguards/security stats, GM notes, etc.

Just don't forget the candy and soap. ;)
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

The list could also list region, availability, legality, and complexity as well. The legality could be something as obvious as magic items are illegal in the CS, portable computers illegal in the New Empire, or if the GM happens to make it illegal there could be a checkmark signifying it. Complexity can include minimum skill requirements, penalties for being alien or unfamiliar, or other note. Ultimately I would like to publish the reference sheets to the forums, but how much info could we post in a quick reference document that doesn't violate terms of service? Would making a list of all or some Palladium weapons and equipment including name, cost, brief description, and other GM reference traits that don't include the original text meet the requirements of the TOS?
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Bill wrote:
Sardukar wrote:

Just don't forget the candy and soap. ;)

Oops. I had to make room for my Wilk's PC-2020 Laser Holographic Field Computer with a 150MB HDD and 4MB RAM.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I think it would be best to err on the side of caution. Write a paragraph describing the store, its owner, and important characters that work there, whether or not they do any back-room trade in contraband; then list off what's in the store with page references. Leave the rest for the players and GMs to look up and conclude for themselves. If you were to publish them in The Rifter, I think you could add more information.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Sardukar wrote:The list could also list region, availability, legality, and complexity as well. The legality could be something as obvious as magic items are illegal in the CS, portable computers illegal in the New Empire, or if the GM happens to make it illegal there could be a checkmark signifying it. Complexity can include minimum skill requirements, penalties for being alien or unfamiliar, or other note. Ultimately I would like to publish the reference sheets to the forums, but how much info could we post in a quick reference document that doesn't violate terms of service? Would making a list of all or some Palladium weapons and equipment including name, cost, brief description, and other GM reference traits that don't include the original text meet the requirements of the TOS?

If you skipped the description and gave book and page number that should eliminate any TOS issues I would think.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Warshield73 wrote:
Sardukar wrote:The list could also list region, availability, legality, and complexity as well. The legality could be something as obvious as magic items are illegal in the CS, portable computers illegal in the New Empire, or if the GM happens to make it illegal there could be a checkmark signifying it. Complexity can include minimum skill requirements, penalties for being alien or unfamiliar, or other note. Ultimately I would like to publish the reference sheets to the forums, but how much info could we post in a quick reference document that doesn't violate terms of service? Would making a list of all or some Palladium weapons and equipment including name, cost, brief description, and other GM reference traits that don't include the original text meet the requirements of the TOS?

If you skipped the description and gave book and page number that should eliminate any TOS issues I would think.

Once school is done for the summer I'll have a little time to work on it. The preliminary goal is to have a few of these lists completed before GenCon. I will post some layout ideas and sample lists hopefully by Friday for feedback.

Return to “Megaversal Ambassadors”