Tips and Techniques for Encouraging Skill Uses

Discussion of the Megaversal Ambassador program.

Moderators: Reelman, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tips and Techniques for Encouraging Skill Uses

Unread post by Sardukar »

I'm running a game session at Gen Con and I am looking for suggestions or techniques for giving players more opportunities to utilize their skills. Does anyone have any techniques they developed over the years to encourage skill use and more role-playing? I've considered incorporating something similar to the D&D4E skill challenges. Thoughts anyone? :?
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Re: Tips and Techniques for Encouraging Skill Uses

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

I make a list of skills that each character has exclusively and create a situation where they're needed in the game, so that each player becomes crucial to the success of the mission, and their skill use is key. I try to make the adventures so that they highlight how the Palladium system is played for the people who are new to it.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Stealth is required.
Important data on this computer.
I stepped on a mine help.
Zombies! I'll hold them off get this car started!
I think my leg is broke.
I've been hit.
Does this look like a trap to you?
The gm says "trust me" then smiles.
Are you sure your not a spie?
Say who knows how to cook?
Ok Your six feet the waters nine.
Where are we again?
Sure I'll hop on the turret gun.
What type of monster is that?
Which way do the tracks lead?
You been lost in the woods for days.
Is this poison ivy?
My guns jammed.
Let me ask him, you guys might wanna go outside.
How do I get untied?
Seven times nine equals.
Whats this letter say?
How many of them are out there?
I ripped the crotch outa my jeans.
Yea I can do a backflip.
I climb a tree.
I think he might be armed, pat him down.
Ok I think you get the idea. Lol
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thanks everyone! We'll see if someone cleverly applies their Housekeeping (Professional Quality) skill. :lol:
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

I think skill use shows up different in different groups and players work. I have some players that want to talk it out and role-play the situation, others aren't as gifted in that area so they choose to let the dice speak for them.

To encourage the use of skills, you need to build in problems where those skills are needed. Where consequences are real if they choose to 'smash' through a problem rather than think it out. Traps can work this way, but also having delicate valuables being destroyed becomes players choose the 'Hulk Smash' route rather than carefully bi-pass the security system.

Be creative, one thing that can help is thinking a head of time through a few skill problems. Figure out which skills you would allow and perhaps what bonuses or penalties that could be used for a given situation. Just have a crib sheet of them. It helps you get in the mind of using them as well.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I want dice rolls. Its a character in a game. Not an imiginary avatar with all the knowledge you have from reading every dimension book twice.
Jussayin.
CigarSmoker
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CigarSmoker »

I prefer a little of both.
Some situations are not about talking it out and roleplaying and you need the dice to figure out what happened. Swimming does come to mind, as do the medical skills.
Some situations are just built for roleplaying even if there is a skill available to cover it. Courtly and Military Etiquette come to mind as does gambling (if all the characters are playing poker, then actually playing poker is AWESOME)
And with some psionic abilities or magic abilities some skills become little more than spend appropriate resource and tell me as the GM what you want to do. Telemechanics jumps to mind there.

It's really just a matter of what you and your players are comfortable with.

Cigar~
Do you know, in 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important before. - 9th incarnation of The Doctor
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

say652 wrote:I want dice rolls. Its a character in a game. Not an imiginary avatar with all the knowledge you have from reading every dimension book twice.
Jussayin.

Agreed. Dice rolls and character stats also keep players in check...at least sometimes.
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

CigarSmoker wrote:I prefer a little of both.
Some situations are not about talking it out and roleplaying and you need the dice to figure out what happened. Swimming does come to mind, as do the medical skills.
Some situations are just built for roleplaying even if there is a skill available to cover it. Courtly and Military Etiquette come to mind as does gambling (if all the characters are playing poker, then actually playing poker is AWESOME)
And with some psionic abilities or magic abilities some skills become little more than spend appropriate resource and tell me as the GM what you want to do. Telemechanics jumps to mind there.

It's really just a matter of what you and your players are comfortable with.

Cigar~

Getting a feel for the players at the convention is going to be the next challenge to prepare for. So far I've had good luck in the past. Players were pretty level and I've only had one deliberately disruptive player and a few immature players (as in experience with RPGs in general). I'll set the pace and let them run with it.
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

FatherMorpheus wrote:I think skill use shows up different in different groups and players work. I have some players that want to talk it out and role-play the situation, others aren't as gifted in that area so they choose to let the dice speak for them.

To encourage the use of skills, you need to build in problems where those skills are needed. Where consequences are real if they choose to 'smash' through a problem rather than think it out. Traps can work this way, but also having delicate valuables being destroyed becomes players choose the 'Hulk Smash' route rather than carefully bi-pass the security system.

Be creative, one thing that can help is thinking a head of time through a few skill problems. Figure out which skills you would allow and perhaps what bonuses or penalties that could be used for a given situation. Just have a crib sheet of them. It helps you get in the mind of using them as well.

The crib sheet helped and I ended up swapping out some characters because they were too much alike in their skill set. But I have to admit I tend to gravitate toward the 'Hulk Smash' or 'Brock Sampson' routine no matter what type of character I'm playing.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Skills are the great equalizer in the game. Sure my hero is tough n strong but without a skill heavy character to lead the team, betcha the badguys always get away.
Lets take a typical Brick. Guys good in a fight.
Put him up against an evil secret agent or hunter.........he wouldn't last very long.

Skills are awesome! !
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Sardukar wrote:Thanks everyone! We'll see if someone cleverly applies their Housekeeping (Professional Quality) skill. :lol:

Cleaning up a crime scene or seeing a how a crime scene was cleaned up and possibly knowing other places to look for trace [beautiful combo to go with Criminal Forensics]
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

NMI wrote:
Sardukar wrote:Thanks everyone! We'll see if someone cleverly applies their Housekeeping (Professional Quality) skill. :lol:

Cleaning up a crime scene or seeing a how a crime scene was cleaned up and possibly knowing other places to look for trace [beautiful combo to go with Criminal Forensics]

Well played NMI. Well played.
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

ItsmeYo wrote:25 xp wether successful or not.

The Palladium equivalent of "killing boars."

Return to “Megaversal Ambassadors”