Running rifts in an SDC setting

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Running rifts in an SDC setting

Unread post by Glistam »

There are lots of people who have done that successfully, and many others keep the MDC but reduce the MDC to SDC ratio. Rules for running Rifts as an SDC setting can be found in Conversion Book 1 (either the original or revised).
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I use the conversion foubd in H.U. for robits and power armor. Assign a robotic ar. And poof. Rifts that plays very well H.U. style. In my game. I do a 1-1 conversion but keep the mega damage trumps ar eule. So an assualr rifle might damage body armor with good rolls but a simple vibroknife will damage everytime it hits.
Also mdc objects have a natural/robotic ar.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

i prefer a damae reduction style system for MDC armors, bots and creatures
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Memnock wrote:I have recently moved my group from Rifts Earth to a H.U. style alternate dimension (space travel set in the Alien Unlimited universe) but I did not get rid of all MDC. Instead MDC is rare, limited mostly to things like giant robots/space ships and weapons that would fall under the heavy category. Magic and psionics still can do MDC and the party arrived with their MDC armor and weapons, though they can not get it fixed or recharge any clips as they run out. At first they felt like gods as they cut through enemies like paper. However, they have learned quickly that they are not invincible and there are lots of ways for the setting to hurt them. I just have to be creative and they need to learn that using their advantage publicly will draw attention and create enemies they were not expecting.

I feel the MDC aspect of Rifts is what sets it apart from the other settings. The idea that if not for the extremely powerful showing up through the rifts the tech would never had reason to reach such destructive levels. As such it is easy and feasible to run an SDC campaign in Rifts, but should not be left out entirely as a demon unicorn should be able to easily subdue and rip apart a regular person without weapons.

:ok:
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Don't recall if I posted in your other thread or not so I'll post this here.

I did run a lower powered game once to great effect; S.D.C. to M.D.C. was 5 to 1, not 100 to 1, and M.D.C. items started at an A.R. of 18. This let the players use S.D.C. weapons to some effect, but clearly left the edge on the M.D.C. weapons without necessarily atomizing a character in a single shot.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I just have a little forgiveness when dealing with MDC vs SDC.

First of all, i don't put everything toward the main body automatically. I have a random hit location die. This spreads damage out, though at times can make the same arm get hit over and over and drop someone much faster.

Also, when armor is down and you take a hit, i still let them roll vs death by the standard rules. The only time someone would die with no chance of living would be a massive explosion, like a direct hit from an LRM or something like that, well...also if you're unarmored and someone slags your head with an MDC weapon. Head and heart are pretty much sure kills when dealing with MDC hardware. Otherwise, there might be enough left if the armor held off some damage before slagging. Sure, the guy's gonna need a lot of new bits and pieces, but he might not be dead.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

These are lots of good suggestions. I too agree that SDC Rifts is doable and a 1:1 conversion isn't a problem. Also, Mad Man Mike's 5:1 solution sounds great as I've played in 10:1 games too.

BTW, I also suggest the Mechanoids RPG since its been reprinted recently. It's SDC and better yet, a simpler RPG system so if you are looking with less rules and faster play, its a great bet.
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

When running low powered games my group usually chooses one of two options, We either make MDC be able to be reduced slightly each time by continually bombarding it with lots of SDC weapons (imagine a bunch of guys hiding and taking pot shots and then running) or we use the example from RMB that one can shoot a tank forever and not do any damage. With this option we agree to use our MDC weapons and armor sparingly as we know the need for such will not be frequent and once it is depleted the chance to get more will not come cheap.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”