We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by abe »

comedy lore: you know most of the famous comedians of your time/era!
base chance of success 35 + 6% per level.
what do you think?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

abe wrote:comedy lore: you know most of the famous comedians of your time/era!
base chance of success 35 + 6% per level.
what do you think?

I think snowshoveling should be a Winter Olympic sport.
I think raisin bread is a culinary atrocity.
I think 'Kzin' is a good name for a cat.
I think, therefore I am.
I think a small part of me dies a stressful death, torn between cold hard honesty and diplomatic lying, whenever somebody asks 'What do you think?'
I think I shall embrace madness.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:I think a small part of me dies a stressful death, torn between cold hard honesty and diplomatic lying, whenever somebody asks 'What do you think?'

so beautifully and eloquently put.

I can't say what i think. or i'll get warned and maybe even banned. so instead i'll think about something else.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Lore: Comedy [Technical, available as a secondary]
Inspired by "abe"

This skill provides one the knowledge and history of comedy. From comedians to movies and the actors within, the character with this skills is Comedian buff. The character with this skill is fairly decent at telling jokes as well as being relatively likable.
Base skill: 35% + 5% per level of experience.
Bonus: +1 M.A., + 5% to the "trust" portion of Trust/Intimidate

* Note, I could probably do a little more with the fluff, but I am at work. The brief amount I wrote was written off the top of my head in a couple of minutes.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

lore: books you know a LOT about books in general
base chance of success is 25 +6% per level
adds 12% to ALL knowledge rolls if you know about a book on the subject (you must roll on the lore: books first to recall a appropriate book first)
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

abe wrote:lore: books you know a LOT about books in general
adds 12% to ALL knowledge rolls if you know about a book on the subject (you must roll on the lore: books first to recall a appropriate book first)

This is too general, and +12% is too high a bonus to all knowledge rolls. It should be more like +2% and no greater than +5% if you go higher.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:lore: books you know a LOT about books in general

This is covered more broadly and quite adequately by the skill Research.
Knowledge of ANTIQUE books is quite adequately covered under the broader skill Appraise Goods, or the respective Lore skills on the subjects they are about("Oh, the subject of dragons is quite well covered in the 12th century text of Verminus Familia'...."_)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Well, now Yo-Man can upgrade. :D
I would have to write him up again as I do not have his character sheet anymore. He's basically a Physical training character with the focus on offense and strength who uses a metal yo-yo with piano wire for the string. Imagine a huge, muscular ninja dressed in all yellow. :lol:

Is one of his aliases 'Duncan'? Is his true name 'Wham-O'? 8-)

Nah... It should be Tommy Smothers...
Google it if you don't get the joke (gods but I am old...)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
taalismn
Priest

Damian Magecraft wrote:[Nah... It should be Tommy Smothers...

Not old; just able to remind us owhere might be found comic gold. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

taalismn wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:[Nah... It should be Tommy Smothers...

Not old; just able to remind us owhere might be found comic gold. :D
I recall wanting to be like the Yo Yo Man... a master of the state of Yo...
but yes comic gold.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
taalismn
Priest

-Speech Therapy(Medical)
The skill of diagnosing and treating speech impediments and retraining those with vocal cord damage, including that which has required surgical reconstruction. The skill also teaches recognition of the auditory signs of psychological and physiological problems that may affect a person’s speech, as well as a familiarity with specific accents and manners of speech. It is also useful in training others in the imitation of different styles and modes of speech.
The first roll is diagnostic, to determine, from auditory cues alone, if the nature of a speech impediment can be psychological or physiologial(such as a stroke or the influence of drugs), though this is only a most general diagnosis(cannot specifically tell the listener that, for example, slurred speech may be the result of a brain tumor). Second roll is to formulate a treatment and training regimen, if possible, to restore functional speech. Speech therapy will also cover training people to use artificial sound makers(in event of total removal of the vocial cords), or, in settings with cybernetic technology, the use of voicebox implants.
The skill also gives the trained ear some ability to recognize specific speech patterns such as regional accents.
Base Skill: 60/50 % + 5% per level of experience, +10% if Psychology is also taken.
Other Bonuses: +5% to Imitate Voices and Sounds.
30% + 5% per level of experience to recognize accents and regional speech influences.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Two things...we need a combined list of these skills on page 1 of this thread...20 pages of reading is a bit much :(

And now, if this skill is not already covered previously (I feel it is "different enough" from the strongman, advanced bodybuilding, body sculpting and pilates skills earlier in the thread).

CrossFit: A holistic approach to diet, exercise and contingency physical training. It is a bit longer lived than the average fitness fad, has very vocal adherents and is more a lifestyle than a physical skill. While it could be simply considered to be a distillation of the various athletic skills already present in the Megaverse, when taken as a whole fitness lifestyle, it does tend to build upon other skills that are already present in a character, hence the somewhat lower bonuses overall, but that is because it is more of an “add on” skill.
+10% Sense of Balance if already present
+10% Climb rope if already present
+10% Climb if already present
+10% to Free Running(parkour) if already present
+1 Roll with punch Fall or impact due to increased kinesthetic sense
+1 to ME due to the rigorousness of the workouts and diet
+1 to PS
+1 to PP
+1 to PE
+1 to Spd
+1d10 SDC

This is based off the Cross Training skill by Mephisto, but is a bit toned down for normal humans, as it only takes 1 skill, instead of 3 which his cost.
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

slade the sniper wrote:Two things...we need a combined list of these skills on page 1 of this thread...20 pages of reading is a bit much :(

How about this: New Skills
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Saturday morning tv lore: you can remember (mostly from your childhood) cartoons from your past!
perquisite: must come from a culture that has television available to the mass's of course otherwise this skill is moot in our culture these shows c/would be used with this skill: rainbow bright, my little pony, captain planet & pee-wee's playhouse
base chance 12+iq + 3% per level
nice huh?
if not tell me how to make it better
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
slade the sniper
Hero

Perfect :). I love the list NMI...and sadly enough, I think I have Saturday Morning TV lore... -STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

slade the sniper wrote:Perfect :). I love the list NMI...and sadly enough, I think I have Saturday Morning TV lore... -STS

If you do, I haven't seen it, sorry.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
slade the sniper
Hero

No, I didn't mean that the skill exists, I mean that I would actually possess that skill IRL...because I am a giant geek. -STS
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Writing new lore skills is not difficult, as all you have to do is take a certain body of knowledge and apply the lore skill to it. Any lore skill would be 45% base plus 5% per level of experience. I would not use IQ pus a given number, as the other skills are not written that way and skills should be standardized unless an individual GM has the house rule that they work that way.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Writing new lore skills is not difficult, as all you have to do is take a certain body of knowledge and apply the lore skill to it. Any lore skill would be 45% base plus 5% per level of experience. I would not use IQ pus a given number, as the other skills are not written that way and skills should be standardized unless an individual GM has the house rule that they work that way.

I choose the base chance of success I did because it reflects the memory of children who actually watch Saturday morning television., that's all.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Writing new lore skills is not difficult, as all you have to do is take a certain body of knowledge and apply the lore skill to it. Any lore skill would be 45% base plus 5% per level of experience. I would not use IQ pus a given number, as the other skills are not written that way and skills should be standardized unless an individual GM has the house rule that they work that way.

I choose the base chance of success I did because it reflects the memory of children who actually watch Saturday morning television., that's all.

One's IQ has no bearing on memory, in any shape way or form...

One can be dumb as a brick and still have a fine memory. One can be a certified genius and have a memory like a sieve.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
slade the sniper
Hero

13eowulf wrote:One's IQ has no bearing on memory, in any shape way or form...

One can be dumb as a brick and still have a fine memory. One can be a certified genius and have a memory like a sieve.

Ah, I see you have met my sieve-like memory :(

-STS
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:

Skills should be written for characters to actually use. Very few people will be playing child characters. Also, I know plenty of adults who watch cartoons that can recall facts about them, not just children. In addition, with networks like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, cartoons are aired more often than just Saturday morning. Your skill is limited the more you try to narrow it down to a select group of people.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

I checked NMI's list. My competitive belching skill didn't make the cut. :(

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

(Redundancy Hound has been here, devouring delicious redundancy. Nothing to see here, so just move along unless you like watching a fictional file deletion device happily chewing its equally fictional prey, before returning to its equally fictional lair)
Last edited by taalismn on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Damn...that was quick, SG, NMI.
I've barely posted Speech Therapy and it's already up on your list?
I'm checking my clocks to see if I'm missing time. :shock:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

slade the sniper wrote:
13eowulf wrote:One's IQ has no bearing on memory, in any shape way or form...

Ah, I see you have met my sieve-like memory :(

-STS

And there's idiot-savants. Or what were once known as idiot-savants. They occupy a substantial gray area when it comes to using the old definitions of IQ.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:Damn...that was quick, SG, NMI.

It's up because you double posted it. once on 3-31 and then again on 4-11. So yeah.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
taalismn wrote:Damn...that was quick, SG, NMI.

It's up because you double posted it. once on 3-31 and then again on 4-11. So yeah.

Ah....
Uh-oh, short term memory's the first to go...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I checked NMI's list. My competitive belching skill didn't make the cut. :(
I was not aware you wished it to be put in the Black Vault Wiki. You do not typically write enough stuff that I did not consider adding it to the vault. It was not a matter of whether it made "the cut".
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Not sure I follow what you said there SG. But no big. If it "made the cut" then I don't mind it being added to the wiki. Actually I'd feel kind of proud to have something I worked on archived on someone else's page. You are correct in that I don't write much. I don't feel it is appropriate (for me) to blow up the thread with things that aren't fully fleshed out or that have no use/merit.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Not sure I follow what you said there SG. But no big. If it "made the cut" then I don't mind it being added to the wiki. Actually I'd feel kind of proud to have something I worked on archived on someone else's page. You are correct in that I don't write much. I don't feel it is appropriate (for me) to blow up the thread with things that aren't fully fleshed out or that have no use/merit.
Was the skill complete, or were there levels you had not finished? I would be glad to add it to the vault if it is a complete skill.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Not sure I follow what you said there SG. But no big. If it "made the cut" then I don't mind it being added to the wiki. Actually I'd feel kind of proud to have something I worked on archived on someone else's page. You are correct in that I don't write much. I don't feel it is appropriate (for me) to blow up the thread with things that aren't fully fleshed out or that have no use/merit.
Was the skill complete, or were there levels you had not finished? I would be glad to add it to the vault if it is a complete skill.

I'm pretty sure that Mephisto and I got it all fleshed out to Lvl 15. It was an "inconsequential" skill that was structured like a HTH form. Competitive Belching

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Mephisto and I got it all fleshed out to Lvl 15. It was an "inconsequential" skill that was structured like a HTH form. Competitive Belching
Okay, it's been added to the vault. Was there anything else you have posted that might be posted to the vault as well?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mmmm No sir I believe that is it.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

Yep...having seen the finished product of Competitive Belching, I can say also that it cures me of any desire to do 'Projectile Vomiting: Olympic-level'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:Yep...having seen the finished product of Competitive Belching, I can say also that it cures me of any desire to do 'Projectile Vomiting: Olympic-level'.

Oh har dee har har. I'm proud of my skill and appreciate the help that was given to get it completed.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

taalismn wrote:Yep...having seen the finished product of Competitive Belching, I can say also that it cures me of any desire to do 'Projectile Vomiting: Olympic-level'.

Oh har dee har har. I'm proud of my skill and appreciate the help that was given to get it completed.

And a worthy addition to the annals of human achievement, high culture, and anti-entropic struggle it is. :clown:

But my reference was not a derogatory comment on the skill, but a reference to a line from the movie Arthur 2:
Hobson(John Gielgud) : "If projectile vomiting ever becomes an Olympic event, you would do your country proud."

Moving along to the next challenge...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

DA#$% You internets and your inability to convey tone!! Sounded like a bash on my end. No worries though. Arthur 2.. I was always more a fan of Arthur 1. I honestly have no idea why (as a small child) I liked that movie so much.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

Semaphore & Flag Codes(Communications)
This is the ability to recognize and read semaphore/flag communications systems(that rely on the position of positionable armatures and/or flags) to visually transmit information line of sight, and which were prevalent before the advent of telegraphs and radio(and are still used where those aren't available/working, as in at sea). The character can read internationally recognized/standardized codes(such as nautical flag codes) and knows the proper protocols for recording the positions in unknown code systems(determining patterns and cracking them for meaning will require the Encryption/Cryptography skill).
Base Skill: 60% + 5% per level of experience.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri May 02, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

I think this may already exist as a skill in Adventure on the High Seas for PF. If I'm wrong, good job and lets see more pirate/nautical themed skills.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:Semaphore & Flag Codes(Communications)
This is the ability to recognize and read semaphore/flag communications systems(that rely on the position of positionable armatures and/or flags) to visually transmit information line of sight, and which were prevalent before the advent of telegraphs and radio(and are still used where those aren't available/working, as in at sea). The character can read internationally recognized/standardized codes(such as nautical flag codes) and knows the proper protocols for recording the positions in unknown code systems(determining patterns and cracking them for meaning will require the Encryption skill).
Base Skill: 60% + 5% per level of experience.

this MIGHT also add a bonus to any cryptoanylisis rolls, I'm just not sure that's all.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

No, it wouldn't. Cryptography relies heavily on spotting patterns and repetitions in streams of data, regardless of whether that data stream is images or radio signals. That would be like saying that one should get a bonus for breaking a cipher by taking Radio: Basic, Laser, or Optical. The MEDIA may change, the basic premise of encryption doesn't.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I think this may already exist as a skill in Adventure on the High Seas for PF. If I'm wrong, good job and lets see more pirate/nautical themed skills.

ARRRRRRRR!!!!!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I think this may already exist as a skill in Adventure on the High Seas for PF. If I'm wrong, good job and lets see more pirate/nautical themed skills.
I think you may be right, though I don't have that book handy at the moment. But even if there is, there may be room for both if this skill is different enough from the other.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I think you may be right, though I don't have that book handy at the moment. But even if there is, there may be room for both if this skill is different enough from the other.

Checked Rifter #0 'Megaverse of Skills'...There is indeed a Flag Signaling skill(base 18%+6% per level of experience) in Palladium Fantasy Book 3: High Seas.
Mea Culpa. :o
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

I have not been on much in the past few months, so I want to thank everyone who has contributed to keep this thread going.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
taalismn
Priest

Architecture: Zero Gravity(Mechanical)
Expertise in designing the general configuration of structures meant for zero gravity/microgravity, as in orbital or freefloating deep space structures, such as space habitats, powersats, and industrial platforms. Covers general configurations for rotating gravity-generating structures, inflatables, tether structures, modular pods and more advanced designs using artificially(non-centrifugal)-generated gravity. A successful roll means a well-designed, functional, well-balanced and serviceable configuration, while failed rolls entail vulnerable structural hazards such as poor station-keeping, weak airtight seals, stress fractures, poor thermal/radiation shielding and insulation, inaccessible systems and pressure blowouts.
Appropriate skills such as Electrical Engineering, Power Generation, Weapons Tecnnician or propulsion repair skills will still be needed for outfitting specific systems aboard the structures.
Requirements: Computer Operation, Mathematics: Advanced, Art:(Drawing) or Blueprinting.
Base Skill: 45%+5% per level of experience.
Modifiers: +5% if the Movement: Zero Gravity or EVA skills are also possessed.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri May 23, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Architecture: Zero Gravity(Mechanical)
Expertise in designing the general configuration of structures meant for zero gravity/microgravity, as in orbital or freefloating deep space structures, such as space habitats, powersats, and industrial platforms. Covers general configurations for rotating gravity-generating structures, inflatables, tether structures, modular pods and more advanced designs using artificially(non-centrifugal)-generated gravity. A successful roll means a well-designed, functional, well-balanced and serviceable configuration, while failed rolls entail vulnerable structural hazards such as poor station-keeping, weak airtight seals, stress fractures, poor thermal/radiation shielding and insulation, inaccessible systems and pressure blowouts.
Appropriate skills such as Electrical Engineering, Power Generation, Weapons Tecnnician or propulsion repair skills will still be needed for outfitting specific systems aboard the structures.
Requirements: Computer Operation, Mathematics: Advanced
I should think a drawing skill would also be required for an architecture skill. Nice work, though.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I should think a drawing skill would also be required for an architecture skill. Nice work, though.

Isnt there a "Technical Drawing" skill somewhere that would go well with this?

EDIT: There is a Technical Writing skill in BTS2
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Perhaps re-title it "Design Construction: Zero Gravity"?

Drawing/Drafting might be more useful for the more 'artistic' space designs, such as orbital hotels/habitats, whereas more utilitarian modular 'stack-a-pod' designs would be more mathematics and computer sim plug-and-calculate.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”