NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by NMI »

say652 wrote:Drawing on real life experience for ideas for the power.

What would really help you with your power write ups and such is fluffing out the material. Explain [briefly], how the power works, are there visual affects to it? would I as a GM allow something like this? is there already something like this? how can it be abused? etc...

Then when you do write up the power, make sure you format it and layout in a fashion similar to how other people have posted their powers -- make sure you bold what needs to bold, underline, use M.E. instead of ME, use 1D4 instead of 1d4, etc...
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

NMI wrote:

What would really help you with your power write ups and such is fluffing out the material. Explain [briefly], how the power works, are there visual affects to it? would I as a GM allow something like this? is there already something like this? how can it be abused? etc...

Then when you do write up the power, make sure you format it and layout in a fashion similar to how other people have posted their powers -- make sure you bold what needs to bold, underline, use M.E. instead of ME, use 1D4 instead of 1d4, etc...
much appreciated words of wisdom.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:

I'm assuming you mean 'in an actual HU game' and possible house rules; 'luck' and its side benefits are somewhat harder to define tangibly in a real life setting(especially the ME and MA bonuses, and the IQ penalties...I may feel chagrined when I get lucky in spite of myself, but I don't necessarily feel dumber for being lucky).
I still don't see how being lucky equated to more life force or damage capacity, but maybe I'm just missing something.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

It is a game mechanic to simulate not getting caught(hit) square. The lowered iq is for lack of a better term, more balls than brains attitude. This will work OR this is gonna hurt a little.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Also irl having found thousands of four leaf clovers even an eleven leaf clover once. I rarely think just go and trust my luck. After fifteen years of arborist climbing........a lil banged up but nothing permanently damaged I say luck is quite real.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

say652 wrote:It is a game mechanic to simulate not getting caught(hit) square. The lowered iq is for lack of a better term, more balls than brains attitude. This will work OR this is gonna hurt a little.
Wouldn't improving the character's saving throws and bonus to roll with impact be simpler than beefing him up like a tank? In my games, added Hit Points or SDC equal added bulk. Plus don't they already have something like this in the form of the Karma power?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

say652 wrote:It is a game mechanic to simulate not getting caught(hit) square. The lowered iq is for lack of a better term, more balls than brains attitude. This will work OR this is gonna hurt a little.

This might be if the character comes to rely TOO much on their power, unconsciously, to get them out of tight fixes in their lives, rather than use brains/commonsense.
I can see this as an explanation, but it needs to be explained better in the fluff portion of your post.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

power burp! minor
you can burp so loud that you cause damage (1d4 sdc per level) you also have +5 to save versus sonic damage!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:power burp! minor
you can burp so loud that you cause damage (1d4 sdc per level) you also have +5 to save versus sonic damage!

This is missing at least 50% of what would constitute a complete power.
You are missing range, area affected, rate of fire/usage, and any possible saves(if it's a belch, does hearing protection mitigate the damage? As a gas-based attack, does protection like a gas mask or Environmental Body Armor help protect?). You have to cover those aspects of a belch that makes this different from a regular/existing sonic attack power that the PC specifies is in the form of a belch or bellow.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Does a power exist whereby one could question plants nearby a crime scene to find out what happened there? I have a player who likes that idea for a power. If writing one up, I would need to figure out how far back the plant's memory is and what range the plant could sense things at effectively.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Does a power exist whereby one could question plants nearby a crime scene to find out what happened there? I have a player who likes that idea for a power. If writing one up, I would need to figure out how far back the plant's memory is and what range the plant could sense things at effectively.

I'd normally say that plants aren't terribly good witnesses for ANYTHING the average person would find interesting, but if you're using Object Read as a basis, them Magic Omni-Vision comes into play.
But to be fair, I'd keep perceptions of plants rather limited.....I'd say they can make out changes in light and maybe basic shapes at a distance of 2d4 ft. Hearing/sensitivity to vibrations might be a bit better; say 3d6 ft.
Sensitivity to atmospheric CHEMICALS would be a bit better; they can readily detect changes in ambient oxygen levels and carbon dioxide, say, that might hint at the presence of large lifeforms or multiple people in their vicinity, with maybe 75% accuracy.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Does a power exist whereby one could question plants nearby a crime scene to find out what happened there? I have a player who likes that idea for a power. If writing one up, I would need to figure out how far back the plant's memory is and what range the plant could sense things at effectively.

I'd normally say that plants aren't terribly good witnesses for ANYTHING the average person would find interesting, but if you're using Object Read as a basis, them Magic Omni-Vision comes into play.
But to be fair, I'd keep perceptions of plants rather limited.....I'd say they can make out changes in light and maybe basic shapes at a distance of 2d4 ft. Hearing/sensitivity to vibrations might be a bit better; say 3d6 ft.
Sensitivity to atmospheric CHEMICALS would be a bit better; they can readily detect changes in ambient oxygen levels and carbon dioxide, say, that might hint at the presence of large lifeforms or multiple people in their vicinity, with maybe 75% accuracy.

of course they would be vunable to plant deseases to a defenit degegree!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:
taalismn wrote:

of course they would be vunable to plant deseases to a defenit degegree!

No. No more than a person with animal speech could contract ringworm simply by talking to a dog.
The question here is how much information should be available to a plant.
You can go the strictly biological route, and 'say 'not much', which is balanced by the fact that plants are a lot more common than animals in most places.
Or you can use the 'Object Read' precedent and say 'if you can get all that info from an inanimate object without sensory organs, you should be able to get more off a living organism'.

And defining what sorts of plants can be read/communicated with using the power would also be useful. Can the power talk to algae and pond scum? Are fungi exempt? How about lichens? Or is the power only usable on more structured plants?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Communicate with plants (minor) by Stone Gargoyle, adapted from the Plant Shaman ability from Rifts World Book 15: New West.

The superbeing can actually speak to plants by using a kind of superpowered psychometry/telepathy; those around the character will not hear him verbally speak and he will look as if he's in a trance or idly lost in thought (can perform no other actions while questioning a plant, with each question and answer using up one of the character's attacks/actions). The plants' essences will not hold conversations, nor offer advice, or make comments, they simply answer questions and/or give the superbeing general impressions. Furthermore, other than trees, their memories and perceptions are limited to the last 1D4 days so they can only report on recent events; trees have memories that last decades, although recent events (1D6 months) will be recalled the most clearly. The plants will answer truthfully, but in short answers of two or three words (mostly yes and no, big or small, east or west, etc.). A question like, "what did he look like?" will illicit a response like, "human, tall, black hair, mean eyes, much equipment, in a hurry," and so on. Being stationary, the plant's answers are limited by geography and visibility. It can only tell what has happened in its immediate vicinity, or what might be a human's line of sight in all directions. If other plants and trees block or obscure its view, it cannot answer.
The superbeing can also recognize and speak to any plant spirit he may encounter (in plant form, possession of a plant or in spirit/energy form). These supernatural energy beings are much more perceptive and conversant than plants and can speak in complete sentences, offer advice or cautions, and ask questions themselves. As long as the superbeing is courteous and respectful, the spirits should reply in kind, although they may elect to keep certain information and thoughts to themselves — man must, after all, learn to do for himself. Of course, spirits, having a free will and an alignment, may cooperate, refuse or deceive.
Note: In both cases, the communication is mental and only the superbeing hears the plant or spirit's conversation. Psychics cannot eavesdrop on conversations the superbeing has with plants, as this is a superability and not an actual psionic ability.
taalismn
Priest

Good call on including plant spirits. I would have missed that.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

That almost sounds like a word for word quote of another post where they cut & pasted the text verbatim from the plant shaman write up. I could be wrong though.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:That almost sounds like a word for word quote of another post where they cut & pasted the text verbatim from the plant shaman write up. I could be wrong though.
That's because it is almost the same as the Plant Shaman, which I credited as being where I got it. The only difference is that superbeings cannot be eavesdropped on by psychics when using the power. Why should I write something new when I can adapt something already in the books?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Just something I noticed. Don't make no difference to me. But yes, if you can adapt something it is easier than making your own

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Just something I noticed. Don't make no difference to me. But yes, if you can adapt something it is easier than making your own
I generally like to write powers up out of my imagination. Very rarely do I write a minor power based on a sub-ability of a Major or from an ability included in an OCC. This was just one of those times. Had I written the power totally myself, I would have been more specific as to the range of what the plant could sense.
taalismn
Priest

Temporal Invisibility(Minor)
“Bet you your vaunted prophecies never said anything about -me- kicking your ass.”
The superbeing is effectively immune to temporal scrying, anticipation, or other temporal senses that would otherwise identify him or forecast his actions. Thus, psychic powers such as clairvoyance may see the greater result of his actions, but cannot see the superbeing himself. Bonuses an opponent may possess in combat, based on foreseeing the moves of his target, are lost when engaged against this character. The indirect effects of a person may be seen by psionic or paranormal scrying methods, but not the direct actions nor the person himself may be perceived by these means(example; a mystic may see a forest fire doing massive damage, and even tell what general area it is going to happen in, but the mystic cannot tell that the fire was initially set by Joe Black tossing a match into the bushes near Griminy Creek). Past-viewing powers and magic like Object Read and Retro-Viewing CANNOT see the person or get any impressions from them(at best, Object Read might get a shadowy CURRENT image of the person associated with the object). Similarly, Sixth Sense only offers HALF its normal bonuses when dealing with attacks launched directly by the person. Thus, the person with this power is an unseen wildcard when dealing with prophecy and prognostication, as he may seem to appear out of nowhere and upset the predictions.
Bonus: The person also gets a +2 against time-based powers that have a saving throw.
Last edited by taalismn on Sat May 24, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

taalismn wrote:Temporal Invisibility(Minor).

I approve.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
taalismn
Priest

Iczer wrote:
taalismn wrote:Temporal Invisibility(Minor).

I approve.

Batts

Thanks. I figured there were enough 'resistance to (type of time--based attacks)' powers, but nothing against being seen by them in the first place(I'll also admit to being inspired by the movie 'Edge of Tomorrow' where
Spoiler:
the invading aliens are winning because they can replay time after seeing what are the biggest threats to their victory.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

not so much a spoiler if you have read the original. But yes.

Not that Palladium gives such a great edge.

Precognitive combatant? Precognitive analysis? Presearch?

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
taalismn
Priest

Reverse Metabolism(Major)
“Awww, wow, that was your famed Bloodfire Poison? The stuff that’s supposed to eat people alive from the inside out? This stuff feels GREAT! What a rush!”

The superbeing’s biology is such that substances and energy effects that would normally incapacitate them actually fuel and supercharge them. Thus, sedatives and other drugs that normally bring on unconsciousness or confusion actually make the superbeing hyperactive and their brains operate with greater clarity and speed.
Bonuses:
*(Chemicals) Substances such as sedatives and sleep gases will do the OPPOSITE of their normal effects; so if a sedative injection that normally causes the victim to be -2 to strike, parry, and dodge, and -10% to skills for 4d4 melees will actually cause the superbeing to be +2 to strike,parry, and dodge, and +10% to skills for those 4d4 melees. Chemicals designed to put the victim to sleep within x amount of time(like, for example, 1d4 melees) will instead cause them to kick into high gear within that time, feel refreshed and energized, and be +1 to Initiative for whatever duration it woud have taken for the drug to take effect.
Example: Doctor Druggist’s Soma-dart normally causes people to fall asleep within 1d6 melees of being hit. Striking Mister Retsim, it instead takes 3 melees(on a roll of 1d6) before the superbeing suddenly gets a second wind, being +1 on initiative rolls for 5 melees(on a roll of 1d6) afterwards.
*Hallucinogens and other psychotropic agents meant to impair perception will instead HEIGHTEN the superbeing’s awareness for the same duration of time. If no stats are normally provided for their effects, they will cause the superbeing to be +1 to Initiative and perception for the duration.
*Paralysis drugs will cause the ‘victim’ to become even more limber and agile; +1 to strike, parry, roll, and dodge for the normal duration of the drug/toxin.
*Drugs and poisons that do actual PHYSICAL damage instead cause the superbeing’s immune system to REPAIR an equivalent amount of damage. If the superbeing has no damage that needs to be healed, then the damage the drug or poison would normally do is instead tacked on as a TEMPORARY bonus buffer of hit points/SDC/MDC, lasting as many melee rounds as the character has PE points, or until the extra damage capacity is used up. The MOST extra damage capacity the character can acquire in this manner is equivalent to their PEx2(so no chugging arsenic before the big battle).
*(Energy and Magic) The superbeing rolls as normal against energy blasts and magic meant to incapacitate them, such as tazers and sleep spells. On a successful roll, the superbeing reaps the full benefits as for chemicals above. On a FAILED save, they have their detrimental effects as normal, only the effects will be HALVED with regards to duration and severity.
Penalties:
*The superbeing is still susceptible to being damaged by physical attacks, external/gross substance damage(like acids), and energy weapons.
*Stimulants and other performance-enhancing drugs and chemicals will have the OPPOSITE effect on the superbeing. An invigorating cup of coffee will actually make the superbeing drowsy. Taking an aspirin will give them a headache, and taking steroids will make them feel weak and breathless.
*The superbeing is also more susceptible to becoming addicted and acquiring a substance abuse habit; being hit with, or taking, a substance that punches up their performance three or more times in a single week, the superbeing must roll versus non-lethal poison(16 of better) or become addicted. If the superbeing can’t get their fix of self-poisoning, they will display all the usual signs and penalties of substance abuse and withdrawal(“Doug, we’re staging an intervention to help you deal with your cyanide problem.”).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Great couple of powers, T. Me likee.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Great couple of powers, T. Me likee.

Thanks, And no, the Reverse Metabolism superbeing doesn't have to worry about regular food up and killing him; only statted damaging substances like poisons and drugs. So don't worry about that glass of warm milk keeping you wired all night. ;)
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:

Thanks, And no, the Reverse Metabolism superbeing doesn't have to worry about regular food up and killing him; only statted damaging substances like poisons and drugs. So don;t worry about that glass of warm milk keeping you wired all night. ;)
Good to know. :-)
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

taalismn wrote:

Thanks, And no, the Reverse Metabolism superbeing doesn't have to worry about regular food up and killing him; only statted damaging substances like poisons and drugs. So don;t worry about that glass of warm milk keeping you wired all night. ;)

What about healing tonics and salves/toxins that would restore hp or heal SDC/return damaged attribute points?

Does this essentially make him a target for a super villain with bio manipulation healer powers(quick heal it till it dies!)?

Logic based on power description dictates that both are true currently.

Also What happens when too much poison is taken and the boosts start to exceed more than the body can handle? Bad things start to happen if you are "over healed" in some games(euphoric highs, severe addiction to "damage," recklessness, body starts to fall apart as you dived cells too quickly, excessive depletion of lifespan due to shortening of the telomeres from excessive unneed cell regeneration, etc)

This gives one an idea for an "inversion" power where negative effects are positive and positive are negative...(since palladium books severely lack any meaningful way to heal others comparitively to the plethora of self healing).
taalismn
Priest

Niji wrote:[

What about healing tonics and salves/toxins that would restore hp or heal SDC/return damaged attribute points?

Does this essentially make him a target for a super villain with bio manipulation healer powers(quick heal it till it dies!)?

Logic based on power description dictates that both are true currently.

Also What happens when too much poison is taken and the boosts start to exceed more than the body can handle? Bad things start to happen if you are "over healed" in some games(euphoric highs, severe addiction to "damage," recklessness, body starts to fall apart as you dived cells too quickly, excessive depletion of lifespan due to shortening of the telomeres from excessive unneed cell regeneration, etc)

This gives one an idea for an "inversion" power where negative effects are positive and positive are negative...(since palladium books severely lack any meaningful way to heal others comparitively to the plethora of self healing).

While the power description states "*Stimulants and other performance-enhancing drugs and chemicals will have the OPPOSITE effect on the superbeing. An invigorating cup of coffee will actually make the superbeing drowsy. Taking an aspirin will give them a headache, and taking steroids will make them feel weak and breathless." and that hardly covers everything, I'd let the individual GM decide if they want to make the power include a damage liability like that, or allow for damage-healing powers to work as normal(I know it's a quick pass-the-buck, but I'd prefer not to get SG mad at me for making him re-enter the power description on his lists AGAIN and increase his workload). :P

To be honest, if it's ruled a total reverse, I'd allow the player to take an additional Minor power as the damage liability is one doozy of an extra Drawback, but that's just me.

Now a truly nasty variant on the total reversal power would be to induce it in SOMEBODY else, just after they've had the snot beaten out of them. Then any efforts to treat their injuries are what kills them. :twisted:

As for overboosting, well, I'm not overly concerned about that because we're dealing with superpowers here. A truly gritty campaign and GM might rule that Captain Cavalier pumping up on dioxin into the equivalent or 'roid rage should result in him punching his hands into hamburger, and accelerating his heart into catastrophic failure, but that's up to the individual GM how brutal they want their power drawbacks.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:While the power description states "*Stimulants and other performance-enhancing drugs and chemicals will have the OPPOSITE effect on the superbeing. An invigorating cup of coffee will actually make the superbeing drowsy. Taking an aspirin will give them a headache, and taking steroids will make them feel weak and breathless." and that hardly covers everything, I'd let the individual GM decide if they want to make the power include a damage liability like that, or allow for damage-healing powers to work as normal(I know it's a quick pass-the-buck, but I'd prefer not to get SG mad at me for making him re-enter the power description on his lists AGAIN and increase his workload). :P
I would not get too mad, though such a drawback of the power would make it one most players would want to take and make it weaker than it is. I would vote in favor of it not working the way Niji suggests.

taalismn wrote:To be honest, if it's ruled a total reverse, I'd allow the player to take an additional Minor power as the damage liability is one doozy of an extra Drawback, but that's just me.
Agreed.

taalismn wrote:Now a truly nasty variant on the total reversal power would be to induce it in SOMEBODY else, just after they've had the snot beaten out of them. Then any efforts to treat their injuries are what kills them. :twisted:
That is something else entirely, and I would think any benefits of the power as currently written would not be added to the negative stuff done to a target.
taalismn
Priest

Hereditary Memory(Minor)
“You could say these skills run in my family’s blood.”
The character’s family line has practiced certain skills to proficiencies so fine that a proclivity for them has been imprinted in their very DNA and passed down through the generations. This may be a form of inherited muscle-memory(such as a certain flair in handling a sword or knife) or ingrained knowledge(the person has an indepth knowledge of certain events in history because their ancestors were there when they happened, and the knowledge has been embedded in the lineage genetic memory).
(Roll or Choose)
01-50% Skill Proficiency---Roll 1d4x10; that’s the total number of percentile points that the character can add to one skill or spread around several. For example, if the character has 40 pts to spend, they may choose to give a +10% to their gymnastics, a +15% to climbing skills, +5% to ropeworks, and +5% to wilderness survival, to reflect a family history of mountaineering, or the PC could drop it all on a single skill, as a +40% to climbing, showing them to be an inherent genius at scaling surfaces and ascending heights.
51-00% Combat Proficiency---Roll 2d4; that’s the total number of points that be spread as bonus points amongst hand to hand and/or weapons proficiencies. The character may choose, for example, if they have 7 pts to spend, to give themselves a +2 to strike in hand to hand, +2 to dodge, and a +3 to strike with the W.P. Archery skill they possess, or drop that 7 pts as an incredible single bonus.

A note of caution: Skills so modified by this power selection should be chosen so as to reflect the PC’s family history, and should be appropriate to both setting and time period(s). A 20th century character is unlikely to have a hereditary perchance for piloting spaceships, operating computers, and using energy weapons unless their ancestors were time travelers or high-tech aliens from outer space. And while the PC can have the inherent skills skip a generation, they MUST be skills that were practiced by the family somewhere along the bloodline(so if your family background is four generations of homesteaders living on the Great Plains, it’s rather dubious that you’d have any inherent seafaring skills. On the other hand, if Grandpa Salty ‘swallowed the anchor’ and gave up the family traditions of fishing the Atlantic to move out to New Mexico, you just might be able to revive the saltwater talent waiting in your genes when you rebelled against your landlubbin’ parents and moved to the coast).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Hereditary Memory(Minor)
“You could say these skills run in my family’s blood.”
The character’s family line has practiced certain skills to proficiencies so fine that a proclivity for them has been imprinted in their very DNA and passed down through the generations. This may be a form of inherited muscle-memory(such as a certain flair in handling a sword or knife) or ingrained knowledge(the person has an indepth knowledge of certain events in history because their ancestors were there when they happened, and the knowledge has been embedded in the lineage genetic memory).
(Roll or Choose)
01-50% Skill Proficiency---Roll 1d4x10; that’s the total number of percentile points that the character can add to one skill or spread around several. For example, if the character has 40 pts to spend, they may choose to give a +10% to their gymnastics, a +15% to climbing skills, +5% to ropeworks, and +5% to wilderness survival, to reflect a family history of mountaineering, or the PC could drop it all on a single skill, as a +40% to climbing, showing them to be an inherent genius at scaling surfaces and ascending heights.
51-00% Combat Proficiency---Roll 2d4; that’s the total number of points that be spread as bonus points amongst hand to hand and/or weapons proficiencies. The character may choose, for example, if they have 7 pts to spend, to give themselves a +2 to strike in hand to hand, +2 to dodge, and a +3 to strike with the W.P. Archery skill they possess, or drop that 7 pts as an incredible single bonus.

A note of caution: Skills so modified by this power selection should be chosen so as to reflect the PC’s family history, and should be appropriate to both setting and time period(s). A 20th century character is unlikely to have a hereditary perchance for piloting spaceships, operating computers, and using energy weapons unless their ancestors were time travelers or high-tech aliens from outer space. And while the PC can have the inherent skills skip a generation, they MUST be skills that were practiced by the family somewhere along the bloodline(so if your family background is four generations of homesteaders living on the Great Plains, it’s rather dubious that you’d have any inherent seafaring skills. On the other hand, if Grandpa Salty ‘swallowed the anchor’ and gave up the family traditions of fishing the Atlantic to move out to New Mexico, you just might be able to revive the saltwater talent waiting in your genes when you rebelled against your landlubbin’ parents and moved to the coast).
Nice.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

abe wrote:soda generation!(major)all of the following abilities can only be used after taking a drink of soda pop!
super speed-like the minor power
strong surge-you gain(once per drink for 1d10 minuites at a time)1d6 ps per level
mega burp!-you cause glass/crystalin objects to break apart for 1 mile per level,living beings loose 1d4 sdc per level of the burpy
sticky goo-like the carpet of adhesion
gain 1d6 pe,1d2 me,1d2 ms & 1d2 ps

Format aside, some questions / comments / suggestions for you Abe...

Strong Surge:
  • What level of Strength is this equal to? Extraordinary? Superhuman? Supernatural? Equal to whatever the character has already?
  • I would consider naming this "Strength Surge" or "Amped" or "Surge of Strength"

Mega-Burp:
  • 1 mile radius?!?!? I personally would bring this down to about a 100' radius, plus an 100' per each additional level of experience.

Attribute Bonuses:
  • I can understand the PE & PS bonus, though for the PS, I would either change it to 1D4 or just a flat +2, however... I dont see why there is a ME bonus. More importantly, I have no clue as to what "ms" is other than a real life disease.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

NMI wrote:
abe wrote:soda generation!(major)all of the following abilities can only be used after taking a drink of soda pop!
strong surge-you gain(once per drink for 1d10 minuites at a time)1d6 ps per level
mega burp!-you cause glass/crystalin objects to break apart for 1 mile per level,living beings loose 1d4 sdc per level of the burpy

Strong Surge:
  • What level of Strength is this equal to? Extraordinary? Superhuman? Supernatural? Equal to whatever the character has already?
  • I would consider naming this "Strength Surge" or "Amped" or "Surge of Strength"

Mega-Burp:
  • 1 mile radius?!?!? I personally would bring this down to about a 100' radius, plus an 100' per each additional level of experience.

Attribute Bonuses:
  • I can understand the PE & PS bonus, though for the PS, I would either change it to 1D4 or just a flat +2, however... I dont see why there is a ME bonus. More importantly, I have no clue as to what "ms" is other than a real life disease.

strienth is equal to what you already have & ms is mental strienth, your right about the burp radius, it should be 100' NOT 1 mile per level, thanks
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

ME(Mental Endurance) -IS- Mental Strength.

MA(Mental Affinity) is effectively Personality Strength.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

abe wrote:
NMI wrote:

Strong Surge:

Mega-Burp:

Attribute Bonuses:

strienth is equal to what you already have & ms is mental strienth, your right about the burp radius, it should be 100' NOT 1 mile per level, thanks

There is NO Mental strienth or strength attribute. There is "Mental Endurance" if that is what you mean. And if you do mean "Mental Endurance", well, you already have it listed. If you are creating a new game mechanic by introducing "Mental Strength", then you need to detail out that mechanic/attribute/etc... The detail is in the pudding, so is the spoon.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

ok, skip the ms part then!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Hand Gun(Minor)

“Bang, you’re dead!”

By holding ammunition(loose rounds or an ammunition clip) in the palm of their hand, extending their forefinger straight, and cocking their thumb like the hammer of a gun, the character can actually shoot the ammunition from their finger with just a thought("BANG!", "FIRE!", "GOTCHA!"). For the larger rounds, the finger may seem to swell up momentarily, but the bullet will shoot true, and the spent cartridge will fall out of the character’s hand. The character suffers no powder burns, but may have to clean powder residue off their hands and from underneath their fingernails.
Shooting is limited to SINGLE SHOT only(no automatic fire) and the character is limited to pistol ammunition(no firing 7.62 long rifle ammo, for example), maxing out at 10mm Magnum.
Range: 100 ft +10 ft per level of experience
Damage: Varies by ammunition type:
In general Palladium rules:
.22---1d6 SDC
7.62mm ---2d6 SDC
9mm---3d6 SDC
.45 caliber---4d6 SDC
10mm----4d6-6d6 SDC
Note: the character CAN use MD explosive pistol rounds and ramjet rounds, as well as other specialized ammunition types.
Rate of Fire: Single shot per action per melee
Payload: Varies by what can be held in the hand; in general most people can hold about 2d4 loose rounds in their hand, a standard pistol clip holds 8-20 rounds, and an SMG clip can hold 24-50 rounds.
Bonuses:
-W.P. Handguns---The character automatically gets the Handguns Weapons Proficiency. +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14,
- P.P. bonuses to strike DO apply to the power, though NOT bonuses from Hand to hand training(only P.P. stat bonuses).
-Quickdraw: +1 to initiative, plus one for every 4 points of P.P. over 18, when using the ‘hand gun’.
-No Recoil---Regardless of the caliber of the round being fired, the character doesn’t appear to suffer any kickback(though many toss their hand after taking a shot back just for show).
Last edited by taalismn on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:Hand Gun(Minor)

“Bang, you’re dead!”

By holding ammunition(loose rounds or an ammunition clip) in the palm of their hand, extending their forefinger, and cocking their thumb like the hammer of a gun, the character can actually shoot the ammunition from their finger. For the larger rounds, the finger may seem to swell up momentarily, but the bullet will shoot true, and the spent cartridge will fall out of the character’s hand. The character suffers no powder burns, but may have to clean powder residue off their hands and from underneath their fingernails.
Shooting is limited to SINGLE SHOT only(no automatic fire) and the character is limited to pistol ammunition(no firing 7.62 long rifle ammo, for example), maxing out at 10mm Magnum.
Range: 100 ft +10 ft per level of experience
Damage: Varies by ammunition type:
In general Palladium rules:
.22---1d6 SDC
7.62mm ---2d6 SDC
9mm---3d6 SDC
.45 caliber---4d6 SDC
10mm----4d6-6d6 SDC
Note: the character CAN use MD explosive pistol rounds and ramjet rounds, as well as other specialized ammunition types.
Rate of Fire: Single shot per action per melee
Payload: Varies by what can be held in the hand; in general most people can hold about 2d4 loose rounds in their hand, a standard pistol clip holds 8-20 rounds, and an SMG clip can hold 24-50 rounds.
Bonuses:
-W.P. Handguns---The character automatically gets the Handguns Weapons Proficiency. +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14,
- P.P. bonuses to strike DO apply to the power, though NOT bonuses from Hand to hand training(only P.P. stat bonuses).
-Quickdraw: +1 to initiative, plus one for every 4 points of P.P. over 18, when using the ‘hand gun’.
-No Recoil---Regardless of the caliber of the round being fired, the character doesn’t appear to suffer any kickback(though many toss their hand after taking a shot back just for show).

If I curl my finger slightly, can I shoot around corners?

What makes the bullet fire? touching the thumb to the first index knuckle (the hammer dropping)?

No automatic fire..sounds reasonable. what about semi-auto? [if the above is true, then I should be able to do semi-auto by rapidly smacking my thumb down into my knuckle with the other hand]

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:If I curl my finger slightly, can I shoot around corners?
I would think that the character would have to hold their finger straight or it would not fire. At least, that is my take on it.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:What makes the bullet fire? touching the thumb to the first index knuckle (the hammer dropping)?
This would be a form of object channeling. I think any special moves of the hand to mimic an actual gun would be up to the player and GM to decide.
taalismn
Priest

Reworked the fluff a bit to address the questioned issues.
No; you can't curl your finger; it's gotta be straight.
And the firing can just be a thought(though you can always add a little extra ceremony to the act, like squeezing your fingers or saying 'FIRE!' or 'BANG!'.

And I'm working on a Major variant of this, though figuring the appropriate skill bonuses is taking some doing, given that there are already a number of powers that give Modern Weapons control/proficiencies.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Reworked the fluff a bit to address the questioned issues.
No; you can't curl your finger; it's gotta be straight.
And the firing can just be a thought(though you can always add a little extra ceremony to the act, like squeezing your fingers or saying 'FIRE!' or 'BANG!'.

And I'm working on a Major variant of this, though figuring the appropriate skill bonuses is taking some doing, given that there are already a number of powers that give Modern Weapons control/proficiencies.
I can see a Major version of this as allowing them to transform their entire body into a heavy artillery weapon, an APS power for sure.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]I can see a Major version of this as allowing them to transform their entire body into a heavy artillery weapon, an APS power for sure.

I was rather limiting it to rifle caliber rounds, machine gun ammo, rifle grenades, RPGs, and LAWs. Mortar rounds and heavier require a different part of the body than I'm presently working with. What you describe I see as something like: "Open mouth, unhinge jaw, drop in mortar round, and belch ballistically....that's rather gross, actually." "This coming from a guy who claims 'flamethrower flatulence' as his power?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Taalismn and Stone Gargoyle give new meaning to the phrase, "shooting your mouth off" (PS if I just inspired something..a nod of recognition would be nice. Carry on)

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I think that might already be covered under Anatomical Independence, a.k.a. Body Freak.
willthetiger
D-Bee

Unread post by willthetiger »

not sure how to write this one

Summon redkneck

By pulling out a tooth and throwing to the ground you are able to summon one redneck to fight for you.Once killed or cancelled the tooth grows back.

Due to incredibly low IQ the rednecks are immune to mind control and will only follow commands by the master.

Lol can anyone give me a hand writing this?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

willthetiger wrote:not sure how to write this one

Summon redkneck

By pulling out a tooth and throwing to the ground you are able to summon one redneck to fight for you.Once killed or cancelled the tooth grows back.

Due to incredibly low IQ the rednecks are immune to mind control and will only follow commands by the master.

I could see this working more as a spell than a power.
taalismn
Priest

Summon redkneck

You'd have to really work on fleshing out what the redneck really is in tis case.
Look at spells like 'Summon Shadowbeast' and the Ludicrous Mage spells like 'Create Carnie' for examples of magically-summoned 'goons'.
You want to specify how much SDC, HP, Armor Rating, PS, Speed, IQ, action/attacks per melee, skills, spacial attacks(do the rednecks come with shotguns?) ....you're basically building a low-level monster, and can use the appropriate tables from Rifts or Palladium Fantasy for generating rando monsters...then modify what you come up with according to match the definition of 'redneck'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Summon redkneck

does the tooth grow back?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:

Summon redkneck

does the tooth grow back?

Yes.
See bolded text.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling