NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by taalismn »

abe wrote:
taalismn wrote:SG's right; there has to be more to this power than just 'conjure burgers'. You have to have more detail if it's going to cut it even as a Minor Power.
Like HOW MANY/MUCH burgers?
Just the meat patty, or do you get buns and condiments as well?
Are they delivered sizzling hot(in which case, do they damage the creator, and how much damage do they do slapped in somebody's face?), room temperature, or are they frozen patties(in which case can they be worn as armor?)?
What sort of meat?
How long do they last?
Do they come with a serving platter or just land at the creator's feet?
Does the five second rule apply to them when they land on the ground?
If the creator is sick, do the burgers have to be re-cooked to sterilization temperature or discarded against possible salmonella risk?

Again, Abe, you have to consider DETAILS. Please bear in mind that you have people in these forums who automatically see something and try to figure out how to weaponize it. Provide the necessary data to satisfy them.
Again, haste to post here is not your friend. This is NOT 'Post or Perish'. You gain far more forum credit by thoroughly thinking through a new creation and
presenting it in a clear and thoughtful format. Don't toss a raw unfinished idea out as soon as it enters your head; let it wait and mature, make friends with other ideas, grow big and strong, THEN post it.

You generate 29 pounds of hamburger pattys per level, conjuring the other parts of the finished burger is a deferent power & you only need to cook them if you are VERY sick, also the type of meat the user of this power can choose at will, subject to the user's religion of course if the religion has dietary needs attached

Better. Now, next, work on formatting and spelling. .
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Spelling isn't my strong suit, so I rely on spellchecker for most of my writing, sorry in advance.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:WIMPY POWER! (minor)
you can conjure hamburgers!
that's literally the extent of the power.
silly I know, but what do you think?
Seems like it would be more of a spell than a power, though you could do Matter Expulsion: Hamburgers. You would have to figure out how much damage a scalding hot hamburger patty would do when flying into someone's face, though.

you can conjure hamburgers at will just so you know.
You would still need to flesh the power out as far as range and damage to make it a viable power.
abe wrote:You generate 29 pounds of hamburger pattys per level, conjuring the other parts of the finished burger is a deferent power & you only need to cook them if you are VERY sick, also the type of meat the user of this power can choose at will, subject to the user's religion of course if the religion has dietary needs attached
29 pounds seems excessive.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Formatting your powers to be similar to how others have presented their creations is key to having a power make it to the Black Vault. Formatting, details, readability are keys to getting people to actually read your power and consider its uses.

Look at "Matter Expulsion: Bacon" for example.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
taalismn
Priest

NMI wrote:Formatting your powers to be similar to how others have presented their creations is key to having a power make it to the Black Vault. Formatting, details, readability are keys to getting people to actually read your power and consider its uses.

SG! We're textbook! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:
NMI wrote:Formatting your powers to be similar to how others have presented their creations is key to having a power make it to the Black Vault. Formatting, details, readability are keys to getting people to actually read your power and consider its uses.

SG! We're textbook! :D
I'm just glad that post included bacon. But seriously, with all the powers we've written over the years you would think we would have it down to a science by now!
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]I'm just glad that post included bacon. But seriously, with all the powers we've written over the years you would think we would have it down to a science by now!

Well, we haven't touched on the infinite depths of stupidity as the basis of power yet. :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]I'm just glad that post included bacon. But seriously, with all the powers we've written over the years you would think we would have it down to a science by now!

Well, we haven't touched on the infinite depths of stupidity as the basis of power yet. :P
I am pretty sure I did Stupefication as a minor power already. What exactly are you looking for in a stupid power?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

I am pretty sure I did Stupefication as a minor power already. What exactly are you looking for in a stupid power?

Something along the lines of the following, that would reward PCs for low IQs, while making high IQs vulnerable. Sort of reverse-Darwin Awards.

I may have outsmarted myself on this one by making it overly complicated, but properly applying Stupidity takes BRAINS:

Soul-Searing Stupidity(Major)
“The Stupid...IT BURNS!!!!!”

This insidious power rewards stupidity by targeting intelligence. By being of low intelligence and performing acts of incredible Stupidity(we’re not talking A-Team Murdock crazy here, we’re talking Pee-Wee Herman levels of idiocy, Stupidity with a capital ‘S’), the superbeing can send those who know better into mental coniptions and convulsions.
The sequence of events when this power comes into play is as follows: rather than roll to Strike, the superbeing deploying the power must roll OVER their IQ to see if they consider the action to be plausible(from their viewpoint); rolling UNDER their IQ means that their few brain cells actually came up with a reasonable objection, and the superbeing just wasted an action on a fizzled plan. If they make it, they see no problems with their intended action and go right ahead. This is why having a low IQ in conjunction with this power is a really good idea. Note that this is the quick and dirty way of resolving this; it takes some real brains to come up with truly STUPID stunts, but GMs are encouraged to reward players who actually do go to the effort of coming up with awesomely braindead and cringe-worthy schemes(like attacking the Invincible Gork with a balloon sword or asking the Green Avenger if she’d like to go out on a date chainsawing a forest). The Stupid act CANNOT be anything damaging or effectual to anybody else(except, potentially, the superbeing himself), though it may involve an abuse of other superpowers. Ideally, though, the Stupid action should not Darwin the superbeing out of action(or existence).
Now the victims. Anybody within line of sight of the Stupid action must roll on a D20 and OVER their IQ; a successful roll over means that they don’t quite appreciate the stunning Stupidity(or caught only a portion of it out of the corner of their eyes) they’ve just witnessed and are safe. GMs: if using Perception rolls in your game, you may wish to give characters a chance to roll to see if they see it in the first place.
For those who fail and roll UNDER their IQ(and please note that those with IQs of 20 or better AUTOMATICALLY get nailed by this attack), the effect is gobsmacked SHOCK at seeing something so incredibly dumb as to defy belief. The effect is to be stunned; -10 to strike, parry, dodge, and roll, -2 APMs, and -20% to all skill attempts.
Victims so struck can make a second, more conventional, saving roll versus insanity. A successful save means that they’re able to tear their eyes away and pull some of their sanity out of the fire after only one melee. A failed save means they just can’t look away from the mental trainwreck happening before their eyes, and are adversely affected for 1+1d4 melees afterwards in lingering shock(REALLY intelligent characters may be foaming at the mouth, tearing at their hair, and trying to keep their eyes clenched shut in disbelief).
Effects are cumulative, so it’s possible for the superbeing to park themselves next to potential victims and effectively temporarily lobotomize them as long as the former keep performing acts of Stupidity in open sight of the latter.

Note that the range of this power is line of sight( so, yes, it is possible to drop EagleMan with his super vision from high altitude); however, television and video systems(including bionic vision) protect against the effects, since television seems to have an inherent numbing effect on stupidity presented through it, so the full shock value fails to manifest. Nor do recordings of the Stupid have any detrimental effects. Purely AUDITORY acts of Stupidity do not have any detrimental effect aside from momentary consternation, gasps of disbelief, or groaning resignation from listeners.

It should be noted that the superbeing possessing Soul-Searing Stupidity isn’t necessarily lacking in the capability of taking care of themselves; they aren’t crippled by this power, and can still dress, feed, clean, and make themselves understood with regards to basic needs. In most respects, they are perfectly normal. However, when it comes to common sense in more sophisticated actions and interactions, is when they shine in a negative light.

Other Bonuses:
*Immunity to Stupidity-based Attacks---The superbeing is immune to the Soul-Searing Stupidity power, and will see nothing really wrong with similar acts of monumental stupidity. In fact, if shown recordings of their own actions later, they will be unmoved by them, even on an unsuccessful ME save.
*Resistance to Mind Control---The superbeing is +7 to save versus Mind Control of ANY type; psychics can go mad hunting for something to latch on to, and even professional brainwashers have trouble working with what seems to be nothing.
*Immunity to Possession--- The superbeing is immune to possession by dint of radiating such Stupidity that any right-minded possessing entity stays well away.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Is there more to this? ^^^ It seems to be (and this is not a criticism) all fluff text other than the part about failing a save. I'm just curious as to there being any more to it.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Is there more to this? ^^^ It seems to be (and this is not a criticism) all fluff text other than the part about failing a save. I'm just curious as to there being any more to it.

I figured the ability to incapacitate people with high IQ for up to one minute, thirty seconds at a shot, plus the bonuses to save versus mental invasion, would be enough. And line of sight.
As I said, I might have out-smarted myself, trying to use an idea I'd applied to a Mad Scientist OCC, where the trick to Mad Science was NOT knowing something was impossible was the key to making it possible.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Was just wondering Taal. Used to seeing powers with sub abilities and such. It's not bad at all. My brain was just thinking there should be more, but wasn't sure if it was actually there and I had missed it or what.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Was just wondering Taal. Used to seeing powers with sub abilities and such. It's not bad at all. My brain was just thinking there should be more, but wasn't sure if it was actually there and I had missed it or what.

Well, it's an automatic hit if you've an IQ of 20 or better(though you have to be in line of sight and able to SEE the act going on).
But yeah, I'm rather dissatisfied with it myself from a technical point of view.
I'll be taking my own advice and looking at reformatting it for clarity and shift the comic fluff portion to a more appropriate location.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

don't discount the fluff. the parts that make skills/powers worthwhile are all in the fluff/flavor text

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Was just wondering Taal. Used to seeing powers with sub abilities and such. It's not bad at all. My brain was just thinking there should be more, but wasn't sure if it was actually there and I had missed it or what.

Well, it's an automatic hit if you've an IQ of 20 or better(though you have to be in line of sight and able to SEE the act going on).
But yeah, I'm rather dissatisfied with it myself from a technical point of view.
I'll be taking my own advice and looking at reformatting it for clarity and shift the comic fluff portion to a more appropriate location.
It could be better formatted, but keep the fluff text in there.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

It could be better formatted, but keep the fluff text in there.

Thanks. Working on reformating, but I'll probably try to come out with a few simpler things first, like aforementioned/requested sports-oriented powers.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I'll look forward to seeing them. At least someone is keeping this thread going.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I'll look forward to seeing them. At least someone is keeping this thread going.

That's amusing, because for a while back I thought I'd killed this thread; even prompted me to create the power 'Threadkiller'(it effectively killed comversations, derailed trains of thought, and led to long awkward silent moments in crowds).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I'll look forward to seeing them. At least someone is keeping this thread going.

That's amusing, because for a while back I thought I'd killed this thread; even prompted me to create the power 'Threadkiller'(it effectively killed comversations, derailed trains of thought, and led to long awkward silent moments in crowds).
No, there is simply nobody posting much because I don't have regular access to my books and such to be able to create more powers and Iczer has failed to produce any more in months.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

mighty stench(minor)
you emit a powerfully BAD odor at will
the odor can effectively stun oponents(via vomiting) for 1d4 minutes per level per opponent (roll for each opponent to see how long the stunning lasts)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:mighty stench(minor)
the odor can effectively stun oponents(via vomiting) for 1d4 minutes per level per opponent (roll for each opponent to see how long the stunning lasts)
I believe there is already a power like this in the books. In any case, it would require a save vs. gases and toxins to avoid vomiting by the person affected and your duration is way too long. It might make the person sick for a full melee round at best. You also did not list a range of the effect, as I am assuming it would affect everyone within range. Typically this would be about 30 feet maximum range.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I believe there is already a power like this in the books. In any case, it would require a save vs. gases and toxins to avoid vomiting by the person affected and your duration is way too long. It might make the person sick for a full melee round at best. You also did not list a range of the effect, as I am assuming it would affect everyone within range. Typically this would be about 30 feet maximum range.

acturally I hadn't decided on the range, however your range sounds about right to me.
also does this power involve the sense of smell?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Try using the following template when creating a power:

Range:
Damage/Effect:
Saves:
Attacks Per Melee:
Capacity/Payload:

Range:---How far does the effect reach? If it affects only the superbeing, that range is 'self'.
Damage/Effect: What does it do? If it does damage, how much and what type? For how long?
Saves: If victims of the power can escape its effects, or lessen them, how so? THis can range from 'save versus' to 'dodge!'
Attacks Per Melee: How often can the power be used per melee? How, rather, how many of the character's attacks/actions per melee does the power take/need to use?
Capacity/Payload: Some powers can only be used 'x' number of times per a period of time before needing to recharge. How many times? How long before the power can be used again? THis might require a period of time, a good night's sleep, or some special requirement like flying into the sun or eating a specific material.

Use the above template as a guide, Give some thought to EACH category, and check them off when you have a CLEAR and DEFINITE stat for each.
THEN submit.
It's then easier to change your initial stat when you see other similar powers or get feedback, than 'this space blank because I didn't think of anything'.

The format also makes reading easier,

Similarly, the following format should be used for weapons:

Weight:
SDC/MDC:
Range:
Damage:
Rate of Fire:
Payload:
Special Features:
Cost:
Options:

Weight: How heavy/cumbersome is it?
SDC/MDC: How tough is it? Can it take being dropped on the floor or chewed on by a troll?
Range: How far can it reach?
Damage: How much does it hurt?
Rate of Fire: How fast can it fire?
Payload: How many shots does it have?
Special Features: Besides the basics, does it have anything special about it that can affect its performance?
Cost: How much does it cost in dollars/credits/sheepskins?
Options:(Optional) Can the weapon with be modified with anything? Here's the place to put some suggested accessories

Again, use as checklist, marking off each section when you come up with something for it.
When each category has been checked off, THEN it's ready to post.

Again, using a template like those used by Palladium itself makes reading MUCH easier and allows readers to quickly scan the post and pick up on specific points.

Copy, paste into your work files, paste, paste, paste, use.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The power SG refers to is the Major Power Chemical Secretion. Sub-power 'Putrid Chemical or Vapor'. It does indeed involve smell, but it's also skin absorption, so gas masks won't work against it. It can easily be spun off as a Minor power as is.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

#$% $%^$%^$# @$#%^@^ $%^$#@#$

The above post is edited because it posted incorrectly. Please refer to the post below.

Thank you
Last edited by The Oh So Amazing Nate on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

acturally I hadn't decided on the range, however your range sounds about right to me.
You should have all the details of the power figured out before posting it. Otherwise you come off looking like an idiot.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

You should have all the details of the power figured out before posting it. Otherwise you come off looking like an idiot.

well sorrrrrrrrry!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
abe wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

well sorrrrrrrrry!
Don't be sorry. Take it for the constructive criticism it is and work on improving your presentation. Some of your ideas are good, but it is hard to differentiate between the good and the bad when they are all so poorly written.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

[/quote]the odor can effectively stun oponents(via vomiting) for 1d4 minutes per level per opponent (roll for each opponent to see how long the stunning lasts)[/quote]I believe there is already a power like this in the books. In any case, it would require a save vs. gases and toxins to avoid vomiting by the person affected and your duration is way too long. It might make the person sick for a full melee round at best. You also did not list a range of the effect, as I am assuming it would affect everyone within range. Typically this would be about 30 feet maximum range.[/quote]
also does this power involve the sense of smell?[/quote]You should have all the details of the power figured out before posting it. Otherwise you come off looking like an idiot.[/quote]
well sorrrrrrrrry![/quote]Don't be sorry. Take it for the constructive criticism it is and work on improving your presentation. Some of your ideas are good, but it is hard to differentiate between the good and the bad when they are all so poorly written.[/quote]

I can read alright but writing isn't my strongsuit (I need a LOT of help a LOT of the time)
if it's bad let me know & how to make it better (in other words feel free to steal my ideas & make them your own!)
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:I can read alright but writing isn't my strongsuit (I need a LOT of help a LOT of the time)
if it's bad let me know & how to make it better (in other words feel free to steal my ideas & make them your own!)
Most of the time if I use someone else's ideas as the inspiration to write a power, I give them partial credit. I try not to "steal ideas". It really depends, though. If the description if fairly ambiguous and undeveloped, then it means the idea is more a suggestion for a power than having any actual thought put into it. Then I might fail to give credit because none is really due.
taalismn
Priest

Abe, you really want that skunk, don't you?

Suggest then that you do some research on the range and chemical composition of skunk spray(Google is your friend in this). Scale it up accordingly. Using nature as a model, you can't go wrong.

But do the research first. Take yiour time doing it. Mother Nature may have already written your power for you; all you have to do is transcribe it. And Mother Nature doesn't ask for royalties for her ideas. She's on a defered payment plan.

Or, heck, hunt up the entry of 'skunk' in After the Bomb and give your character skunk glands as a Minor Power or a Eugenic Hero implant(there may already be a chemical spray option in those tables under the Eiugenic Weapons...I know they have Pheromones in there).
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:All I can say is .....EVERY TIME!!

Here; take two of these and call me in the morning:
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Anger_Management

Aren't you glad these forum threads are well-equiped for just about every minor contingency? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Sits with legs crossed, head bowed and taking slow deep breaths. Every once in awhile he mutters to himself, "Just let it go man. You'd never make it in prison"

It is hard to find inner peas when I hate vegetables.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Sits with legs crossed, head bowed and taking slow deep breaths. Every once in awhile he mutters to himself, "Just let it go man. You'd never make it in prison"

Just failed my M.E. save versus Punning(Minor).
Effective paralysis for 1d4 melees as my brain groans....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Sits with legs crossed, head bowed and taking slow deep breaths. Every once in awhile he mutters to himself, "Just let it go man. You'd never make it in prison"

Just failed my M.E. save versus Punning(Minor).
Effective paralysis for 1d4 melees as my brain groans....

mine as well
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Luck. Major power

Once per melee any one roll automatically succeeds.
Half damage from crits and deathblows damage sdc not hitpoints.

+2 ma, me -3iq
+2 strike, parry, dodge
+3d4x10sdc
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

say652 wrote:Luck. Major power

+2 ma, me -3iq
+2 strike, parry, dodge
+3d4x10sdc
I'm not seeing any justification for the huge amount of SDC you are tacking onto the power, nor why being lucky would decrease IQ.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

+2 ma, me -3iq
+2 strike, parry, dodge
+3d4x10sdc
I'm not seeing any justification for the huge amount of SDC you are tacking onto the power, nor why being lucky would decrease IQ.

The maSsive sdc is the "wow that barely hit me"effect. The reduced iq is well trusting in your luck not your "fears".
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

say652 wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

+2 ma, me -3iq
+2 strike, parry, dodge
+3d4x10sdc

The maSsive sdc is the "wow that barely hit me"effect. The reduced iq is well trusting in your luck not your "fears".
No offense, but this seems to be a bit of a munchkin power. Automatically hits, doesn't take any real damage.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
say652 wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

+2 ma, me -3iq
+2 strike, parry, dodge
+3d4x10sdc

No offense, but this seems to be a bit of a munchkin power. Automatically hits, doesn't take any real damage.
and good sir I say invulnerability. And stoney why do you always not like a power unless you xame up with it?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

say652 wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
say652 wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

+2 ma, me -3iq
+2 strike, parry, dodge
+3d4x10sdc

and good sir I say invulnerability. And stoney why do you always not like a power unless you xame up with it?
Invulnerability is designed to create a brute, whereas having luck is not necessarily. Your power has very little if you take away the massive SDC bonus.
This is not about me, this is about writing a good power. I do not believe you have done so. That is my opinion. As for not liking others' powers, I like quite a bit some of the others have posted. Taalismn and Iczer, of the regular posters, I almost never criticize because they have good powers.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Kcul rewop rajom
Once per MINUTE one roll succeeds autonatically.

Half damage crits and deathblows.
+2me, ma
-3iq.
Double starting hitpoints plus 1d6 per level.
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:Kcul rewop rajom

+2me, ma
-3iq.

Presentation nitpicks for better readability:
Space between numbers and letters ('+2 ME', '-3 IQ')
Capitalize acronym letters so they stand out( ME, MA, IQ). For bonus points you can put periods between the letters(M.E.., I.Q.).
Makes the post easier to scan and follow.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
say652 wrote:Kcul rewop rajom

+2me, ma
-3iq.

Presentation nitpicks for better readability:
Space between numbers and letters ('+2 ME', '-3 IQ')
Capitalize acronym letters so they stand out( ME, MA, IQ). For bonus points you can put periods between the letters(M.E.., I.Q.).
Makes the post easier to scan and follow.
More description of how exactly the power works and some fluff text would not be a bad idea, either.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Also, is the power a "MAJOR" or "minor"? I assume it is a MAJOR since the word is in the title, but that does not mean much.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

NMI wrote:Also, is the power a "MAJOR" or "minor"? I assume it is a MAJOR since the word is in the title, but that does not mean much.
It comes across as a weak Major or an overpowered minor. The only thing that pushes toward it being a major is the body/hit point bonuses.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Drawing on real life experience for ideas for the power.
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:Drawing on real life experience for ideas for the power.

I'm assuming you mean 'in an actual HU game' and possible house rules; 'luck' and its side benefits are somewhat harder to define tangibly in a real life setting(especially the ME and MA bonuses, and the IQ penalties...I may feel chagrined when I get lucky in spite of myself, but I don't necessarily feel dumber for being lucky).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Matter Expulsion: Hula-Hoops(Major)

“Let’s do the Twist!”

ME: Hula-Hoops allows the superbeing to produce hoops of a tough plastic-like material, as well as confers the ability to proficiently whirl them around the body and toss them off with great accuracy.

1) Generate and Project Hula-Hoops---The character can create what look like plastic or bamboo hula-hoops and spin them off from their arms, legs, or torso. The character can create 3 hoops per action per melee, +1 an additional hoop per level of experience. Each hoop has 14 SDC. The hoops can be flung off the body, and have a range of 50 ft, +10 ft per level of experience(increase by 30% if using Augmented Strength, by 50% for Robotic/Superhuman Strength, and x3 if Supernatural(x4 if P.S. is 31 or more).). Each hoop, on impact, does 1 point of SDC damage.
Duration: Can exist indefinitely as long as they are within 100 ft of the superbeing. Beyond that, they last 1d4 minutes being fading into nothing.

2) Create Hula-Hoops of Death----At level 3, the superbeing can create razor-edged hoops that do 1d6 damage.
At level 6, the superbeing can create hoops with a jagged toothed outer edge not unlike a buzzsaw, and doing 2d4 damage.
At level 9, the superbeing can create flaming hula-hoops that do +1d6 damage, and have a 60% chance of setting combustible materials on fire.
At level 11, the superbeing can create constricting hula-hoops that on a successful strike roll effectively entangle the target, pinching tight and serving as restraint bands.

3) Hula-Hoop Armor---By producing multiple hoops of varying diameter whirling around arms, legs, neck, and torso, the character can create what amounts to a suit of half armor around them. The ‘armor’ is created by generating hoops and NOT throwing them off, so protection value is the same as (APMs spent generating hoops x3+1 per level of experience x14 per hoop) and have an effective Armor Rating of 9. Furthermore, the armor has a lot of ‘wiggle room’ and is in constant motion, with the wearer gyrating inside of it(this motion is automatic with the power and uses up no APMs), making it difficult for opponents to draw an accurate bead on the person; -2 to strike.

4)W.P. Hula-Hoops---The superbeing automatically gets a modified form of W.P. Hula-Hoop. +1 to strike and parry as a body weapon at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12, +1 to strike and entangle as a thrown weapon at levels 2, 5, 8, 11, and 15. Can combat-twirl ALL their hoops per melee.

5) Other Bonuses:
+1 P.P.
+1 Dodge
+5% to Dancing skill(if taken)
-------------