We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Sweet Landscaping skill Taal. Is it to much to suggest Language: Spanish be mentioned somewhere in the write up? I don't want to break any forum rules, but sometimes the things in my head just have to come out.

on a show I saw on cartoon network they had a Mexican/american landscape artist, so would the Mexican language work for this skill as well?

This is all I can say.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=107188&p=2756570#p2754696

sorry for being serious about the language question!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Lore: Biotic is a perfectly logical specialization
we already have this sort of thing
Lore: Demons and Monsters
Lore: Undead
Lore: Vampire, Lore: Zombie
hrmmm, looks like you can narrow down lore to be specific as you like
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Sweet Landscaping skill Taal. Is it to much to suggest Language: Spanish be mentioned somewhere in the write up? I don't want to break any forum rules, but sometimes the things in my head just have to come out.
A) That comes off as extremely racist. Other people besides Spanish people do landscaping. B) I personally don't add in anything to a skill that is unneeded to perform said skill.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

eliakon wrote:Lore: Biotic is a perfectly logical specialization
we already have this sort of thing
Lore: Demons and Monsters
Lore: Undead
Lore: Vampire, Lore: Zombie
hrmmm, looks like you can narrow down lore to be specific as you like

When dealing with the Megaverse, those words, Monster, Demon, Zombie, Undead, and Vampire cover a LOT of ground, and there may be SEVERAL infernal dimensions that 'demons' seem to originate from(the Unholy's forces on Wormwood, for instance, seem to have no connection to the denizens of the Infernal Planes central to the Minion War. There's several different times of Zombie, and there's likely more than one flavor of vampire(indeed, thanks to fans who don't like the whole 'die from squirtguns' weakness).

Biotics, on the other hand, are a human creation and an OCC, and that's a lot narrower than the above categories. The problem is, that we have Lore: Juicer on Rifts Earth, in part because Juicers have this whole kultural thing wrapping up aspects of biker, outlaw, rogue, and drug culture that apparently dates back to the pre-Rifts era, so, thanks to good press and a lot of self-promotion, they get a Lore skill.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
A) That comes off as extremely racist. Other people besides Spanish people do landscaping. B) I personally don't add in anything to a skill that is unneeded to perform said skill.

My thoughts exactly. In my part of the states, the case could be made that at different times gardening and landscaping were the province of Irish and Latvians, in part because the major employers in the area who sponsored immigrants(especially after WW2) ran orchards and greenhouses, in return for work in the greenhouses while they got settled into the new culture. My grandfather was one of them, working for over thirty years for Pearson's Nurseries.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:A specialization of cooking could be ancient with a base skill of 12+2% per level
what do you think?

This is redundant. Cooking IS an ancient art. There are new tools, but any chef worth their salt learned the basics first.

Truly ANCIENT cooking would be hunter-gatherer, or eating it raw after you picked it or killed it(Identify Plants & Fruits, Hunting).
Applying ancient Recipes would be Cooking/Brewing+Archaeology+Languages(Ancient of your choice). Archaeology to find evidence of ancient cooking styles, Languages to decipher them, and Cooking/Brewing to apply them.
This is how we know how the Sumerians made beer, and how several companies now purport to make 'artisan' brews according to the 'original' recipes(they tend to be thin and sweet, with enough alcohol to purify the water content).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:A specialization of cooking could be ancient with a base skill of 12+2% per level
what do you think?

This is redundant. Cooking IS an ancient art. There are new tools, but any chef worth their salt learned the basics first.

Truly ANCIENT cooking would be hunter-gatherer, or eating it raw after you picked it or killed it(Identify Plants & Fruits, Hunting).
Applying ancient Recipes would be Cooking/Brewing+Archaeology+Languages(Ancient of your choice). Archaeology to find evidence of ancient cooking styles, Languages to decipher them, and Cooking/Brewing to apply them.
This is how we know how the Sumerians made beer, and how several companies now purport to make 'artisan' brews according to the 'original' recipes(they tend to be thin and sweet, with enough alcohol to purify the water content).

that's quite true!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

To everyone who thought my question about applying Language: Spanish to the Landscaping skill was serious and therefore offended by it I offer 2 replies. You make pick whichever makes you feel the best.

A.) Sorry, I was just joking around

B.) Really? REally! Reeeaaaally?? Seriously?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Facesaving(Communications)
The art of verbally back-peddling from an embarrassing slip of the tongue("Yes, that dress DOES make you look fat."), botched off-the-cuff remark(“Nice servant wench you got…oh, she’s your daughter?”), tactless joke("It's not as if he drowned in the cesspool...oh, he did?"), inadvertently caught-on-tape comment("I'm going to throw you off this %$%$^ing balcony!"), or critical fumble of the Public Speaking skill, in the hopes the incident will quickly be glossed over and forgotten. A regularly taught, and all-too-often exercised, skill of public officials and media celebrities, Facesaving is the 'after-the-fact' variant of 'the more commonly known 'fasttalking' and incorporates many of the same movements. Groveling, forced grinning, disarming and hopefully not too nervous laughter, placating hand movements, not-quite-eye-contact, sweat control, and subtle, but rapid, back-shuffling motion are common to Facesaving methodology. So is implied temporary insanity, psychotic break, tragic misunderstanding, and appeals to a common human fallibility. A successful Facesave means that the Facesaving party is not immediately punched out, dragged down, or tarred and feathered, though the offended parties may still bear a grudge.
Bonus: +1 to dodge in the first melee round of an enraged assault. After that, you’re on your own, bub.
Base Skill: 25%+5% per level of experience. Bonuses from M.A. stat apply.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:To everyone who thought my question about applying Language: Spanish to the Landscaping skill was serious and therefore offended by it I offer 2 replies. You make pick whichever makes you feel the best.

A.) Sorry, I was just joking around

B.) Really? REally! Reeeaaaally?? Seriously?
The fact that you were joking around makes it no less racist. Some of us have Hispanic ancestry, after all.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Nice skill Taal and a well made subtle statement also.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

It would be nice if we could get more skills posted and less irrelevant banter. Constructive criticism is one thing, but we are getting a lot of other things.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Idea I had from the marx brothers, making gookies-basically a making funny face specialization
base chance-43+6% per level.
what do you think?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

abe wrote:Idea I had from the marx brothers, making gookies-basically a making funny face specialization
what do you think?

I think this falls under the Performance skill.

Have you even read the skills lists in some of the more recent books?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:Idea I had from the marx brothers, making gookies-basically a making funny face specialization
what do you think?

not-really as I usually can't afford them, I have to get them used, usually from amazon.com, sorry.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

abe wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
what do you think?

not-really as I usually can't afford them, I have to get them used, usually from amazon.com, sorry.

When I say more recent I mean that the Performance skill has appeared in 7 different books since 1996. 4 of those are core books.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
what do you think?

When I say more recent I mean that the Performance skill has appeared in 7 different books since 1996. 4 of those are core books.

oh, ok then, didn't know that.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

animal-psycology
the skill of treating mental conditions in non-sentiants
bonuses +3 to ma(animals only), +2 to speed(if the roll fails horribly you can run from enraged animals) & +3d12 (for when you fail to run far enough from the non-sentient)
base chance is 35 +5% per level
what do you fine people thinik? :crane:
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

How would you go about doing it, exactly? You cannot talk to an animal to know what is wrong with it. And how are you giving a bonus to MA of an animal when most animals do not have actual attributes? unless you are intending this for mutant animals. What is the +3d12 a bonus to and why should a skill give a bonus that high to anything?
taalismn
Priest

I'm having a deja vu moment, because I am quite certain that Abe previously posited that skill suggestion before, and I seem to recall asserting that it was broadly covered under Veterinary Medicine(or Horsemanship if you're horse-whispering).

Yes, I am correct; page 17 of this thread, Halfway down.
(relieved) I wasn't having a senior moment.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Perhaps he's suggesting something more specialized than that, a kind of Veterinary Psychology. It still is so poorly written it is hard to know exactly what the skill is intended to actually do.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Perhaps he's suggesting something more specialized than that, a kind of Veterinary Psychology. It still is so poorly written it is hard to know exactly what the skill is intended to actually do.

The way I parse it, it's really for approaching an an animal(the MA bonus is with regards to the skill-user when approaching an animal, not other people) and spotting the signs of a deranged or angry animal before it lunges at you. This is presuming that the animal is going to go from a somnolent standstill to a full hate-on charge for your throat , after giving you time to check it or question it as to its emotional state.
I'd say that really comes under Perception, spotting the foaming mouth, tensing muscles, baring its teeth or hearing the growing growl. In general, these are good signs the animal doesn't want you around.
I'd also use Wilderness Survival or Biology(Zoology)(Entomology if you're dealing with giant insects) if you're dealing with known predatory animals(for instance, trying to figure out if you should run from a bear or attempt to intimidate it by trying to look larger), or critters with known bad dispositions (Cape Buffalo, bison, elephants, etc.).

And frankly, you're not going to get me close enough to a giant spider to check for signs of agitation, affection, or hunger in it.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

abe - Mon Jan 13, 2014 wrote:animal psycology
this is the skill to treat the mental psycocises of animals
base chance of success-35+4% per level
what do you think?

abe - Thu Feb 06, 2014 wrote:animal-psycology
bonuses +3 to ma(animals only), +2 to speed(if the roll fails horribly you can run from enraged animals) & +3d12 (for when you fail to run far enough from the non-sentient)

I think this time, like last time, the skill is covered under Veterinary Sciences or Veterinary Medicine, or both.

I am also thinking this.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

13eowulf wrote:this.

lol u mad bro?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe - Mon Jan 13, 2014 wrote:animal psycology
this is the skill to treat the mental psycocises of animals
base chance of success-35+4% per level
what do you think?

abe - Thu Feb 06, 2014 wrote:animal-psycology

I think this time, like last time, the skill is covered under Veterinary Sciences or Veterinary Medicine, or both.

I am also thinking this.

Sorry, I forgot that I did this already, again sorry
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

W.p caber(see the famous caber toss for details of the sport on Wikipedia)
Bonus is +2d6 to p.s damage is 2d12
attack bonuses are +1 every other level
what do you think, do you think it makes a good weapon skill?
Last edited by abe on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

abe wrote:W.p caber(see the famous caber toss for details of the sport on Wikipedia)
Bonus is +2d6 to p.s
attack bonuses are +1 every other level
what do you think, do you think it makes a good weapon skill?

You made a W.P. for what is essentially throwing a telephone pole. To answer your question (which I bolded); No I don't think it makes a good skill.

Also, the point of the Caber toss even isn't to "hit a target" but to flip the caber end over end and toss it farther than anyone else. It is a test of strength, not a display of weapons skill.

To make a good skill it should either add fun to the game (Taalismn's W.P. Duct tape comes to mind as one just for fun.) or be useful in some way (the hobo skill Stowaway - lets you hitch free rides on moving vehicles without getting yourself ran over). While it might be funny to rp throwing a phone pole at someone or even having PC's compete in Highland style games; i don't think WP Caber is a valid skill. You might rework it (following the rules for skill creation that were laid out earlier) to a specialization in highland style games (most likely a physical skill), but I just don't think it works as a WP.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

W.P. Caber doesn't cut it because it's more an Athletic skill, what with the overly generous +2d6 PS bonus you've given it; there's also no damage rating for the heavy pole hitting a target, so what you're really posting is WeightLifting with a throw.
W.P.s are about HURTING people with objects, not pumping up.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

If you are using a Caber as a weapon, that would fall under WP Staff. You would just need extremely high strength to wield it. It does not warrant its own WP.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

I added damage, that better?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

abe wrote:I added damage, that better?
HUGMG brawling rules covers the Caber nicely.
And as others have said this is more a test/show of strength than an actual weapon.
Caber Toss as a physical skill? Maybe... but I would think it could be covered under the weight lifting/body building skills better.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
abe wrote:I added damage, that better?
HUGMG brawling rules covers the Caber nicely.
And as others have said this is more a test/show of strength than an actual weapon.
Caber Toss as a physical skill? Maybe... but I would think it could be covered under the weight lifting/body building skills better.

ok, but is the concept sound?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:ok, but is the concept sound?
No. A caber is a large piece of wood. You toss it, but there is no way to do so accurately enough for you to get weapon bonuses. If you did train with it as a weapon, you would do so using an existing skill such as thrown weapons or WP staff. Damage would vary according to the size of the caber and would not be written in as part of the skill. There is no reason or validation for writing it up as its own skill.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

If anything, I think it would/should be WP Blunt or if using Ninjas and Super Spies, W.P. Improvised Weapons.
Also, nothing, absolutely nothing official, as far as skills is concerned provides a "+2D6" to PS. That's just crazy talk.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

In my imagination, the only way to use a caber as a weapon is IF you are strong enough AND large enough to use what is basically a phone pole as a weapon. Then you're back to what Stone Gargoyle says. Using WP staff or WP Spear.

But its own WP. No.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

You'd then have to tack on P.S. bonuses for Heavy Weapons.
I SHOULD then be getting a workout from doing mandatory lifts with a fully loaded bazooka, instead of being penalized for weak strength by NOT being able to take W.P. Heavy Weapons.
Athletics and Weight Lifting FIRST, THEN you can start tossing the big stuff around.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

moving on, wp toys
you can use toys OTHER than yo-yos (the last because I think that's been done already) as weapons
+1 to attack every other level, +3 to damage every level you don't get a attack bonus
bonus +2d4-1 ma (children only) +2d4 to physical dexterity (for the attacks naturally)
what do you think?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

abe wrote:moving on, wp toys
you can use toys OTHER than yo-yos (the last because I think that's been done already) as weapons
+1 to attack every other level, +3 to damage every level you don't get a attack bonus
bonus +2d4-1 ma (children only) +2d4 to physical dexterity (for the attacks naturally)
what do you think?

Isn't there an improvised weapons wp?
I would think it would suit skills like this and wp yo-yo better.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
what do you think?

Isn't there an improvised weapons wp?
I would think it would suit skills like this and wp yo-yo better.

I acturally think that yo-yo wp was acturally done on this thread of all places. (just not sure witch page though)
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

what do you think?

a WP, an extra attack, a damage bonus, and attribute bonuses,, this doesn't sound like a WP at all. With the things that are included in it, it almost sounds like a VERY under developed HtH form.

You asked what we all think of your skill. So I'm going to tell you what I think of it. I think it is no good.

(I'll try to not break any rules, but if I do I understand the recourse that NMI must take). I think you should stop posting new ideas for awhile, Come up with an idea (but don't post it), take the time to think it all the way through, work out the flaws, iron out the details, buff it up until it shines. THEN post it, but not until then.

Having ideas is good, wanting to contribute is good, just throwing out whatever random idea comes into your mind without reviewing and refining it first is bad. You have (in my opinion) the equivalent of post diarrhea. What comes out is no good and it just keeps coming uncontrollably. Take some time, get better, and then give us a good post.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
what do you think?

a WP, an extra attack, a damage bonus, and attribute bonuses,, this doesn't sound like a WP at all. With the things that are included in it, it almost sounds like a VERY under developed HtH form.

You asked what we all think of your skill. So I'm going to tell you what I think of it. I think it is no good.

(I'll try to not break any rules, but if I do I understand the recourse that NMI must take). I think you should stop posting new ideas for awhile, Come up with an idea (but don't post it), take the time to think it all the way through, work out the flaws, iron out the details, buff it up until it shines. THEN post it, but not until then.

Having ideas is good, wanting to contribute is good, just throwing out whatever random idea comes into your mind without reviewing and refining it first is bad. You have (in my opinion) the equivalent of post diarrhea. What comes out is no good and it just keeps coming uncontrollably. Take some time, get better, and then give us a good post.

I would like to second what is being said here, in a much nicer way than I could have put it.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
taalismn
Priest

There ISN'T a W.P. Yo-yo in the Black Vault, but I haven't checked to see if there is somebody's version on these threads. I know there are two versions of W.P. Chainsaw posted to this thread, but neither made it to filing in the Vault.
Pity, really, because in a yo-yo you have both a potential blunt striking weapon, and an entangling/strangling weapon. And there is precedent, I believe; the anime series Gatchaman(better known in the west as Battle of the Planets) one of the Science Ninja sports a high tech yoyo weapon that acts like gargoyle plasma blast knuckles(from RiftsTriax) and in the live action 007 movie Octopussy, one of the villains messily disposes of one of Bond's sidekicks using a manhole cover-sized buzzsaw yo-yo(later tries to use it on Bond and learns what a bastard spin-back is).

And I agree with the diagnosis that tossing up incomplete ideas isn't a good idea. Haste makes waste, and we're not a 'publish or perish' community here. Yes, there's that big endorphin rush when you first get an idea, and you want to share it and see what people think as soon as possible, but you really show your creativity by reigning in your impulsiveness, looking at your idea again, testing it, refining it, letting it see if it stands waiting(would you still be as enthusiastic about it in a week?), then reworking it. The satisfaction of presenting a complete product that may have several well-thought-out ideas is FAR better than the empty and fleeting endorphin high from the first idea.

And I cannot emphasize enough the importance of proper presentation; clean formating and proper spelling. capitalization, and punctuation do more than just make your thoughts clear and easy to read, they show that you care enough about your readers not to torture them with confusion, and forcing them to do all the work of untangling your thoughts, or trying to guess what you mean. Your work should be enjoyable for readers, not an obstacle course or desperate scavenger hunt for meaning. There are plenty of examples of acceptable formating on these threads, and even basic templates for Palladium powers, weapons, races, spells, and the like, and they're all free for the using.

As for the skill-posting itself; I don't see why there's a separate big honking dexterity bonus(more than some RCCs have for those respective stats) for using toys, and the M.A. bonus for kids is just ludicrous; I don't find a kid throwing toys at me to be endearing, I consider them annoying brats! If anything, their MA to me after clouting me in the head with a rocking horse goes DOWN, and I feel compelled to introduce them to W.P. Belt( aka Whip) and the Bill Cosby 'tan your underside' attack*.

(*disclaimer: Taalisman does NOT condone child abuse, or corporal punishment for minors. On adults, however....)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:There ISN'T a W.P. Yo-yo in the Black Vault, but I haven't checked to see if there is somebody's version on these threads. I know there are two versions of W.P. Chainsaw posted to this thread, but neither made it to filing in the Vault.
Pity, really, because in a yo-yo you have both a potential blunt striking weapon, and an entangling/strangling weapon. And there is precedent, I believe; the anime series Gatchaman(better known in the west as Battle of the Planets) one of the Science Ninja sports a high tech yoyo weapon that acts like gargoyle plasma blast knuckles(from RiftsTriax) and in the live action 007 movie Octopussy, one of the villains messily disposes of one of Bond's sidekicks using a manhole cover-sized buzzsaw yo-yo(later tries to use it on Bond and learns what a bastard spin-back is).

And I agree with the diagnosis that tossing up incomplete ideas isn't a good idea. Haste makes waste, and we're not a 'publish or perish' community here. Yes, there's that big endorphin rush when you first get an idea, and you want to share it and see what people think as soon as possible, but you really show your creativity by reigning in your impulsiveness, looking at your idea again, testing it, refining it, letting it see if it stands waiting(would you still be as enthusiastic about it in a week?), then reworking it. The satisfaction of presenting a complete product that may have several well-thought-out ideas is FAR better than the empty and fleeting endorphin high from the first idea.

And I cannot emphasize enough the importance of proper presentation; clean formating and proper spelling. capitalization, and punctuation do more than just make your thoughts clear and easy to read, they show that you care enough about your readers not to torture them with confusion, and forcing them to do all the work of untangling your thoughts, or trying to guess what you mean. Your work should be enjoyable for readers, not an obstacle course or desperate scavenger hunt for meaning. There are plenty of examples of acceptable formating on these threads, and even basic templates for Palladium powers, weapons, races, spells, and the like, and they're all free for the using.

As for the skill-posting itself; I don't see why there's a separate big honking dexterity bonus(more than some RCCs have for those respective stats) for using toys, and the M.A. bonus for kids is just ludicrous; I don't find a kid throwing toys at me to be endearing, I consider them annoying brats! If anything, their MA to me after clouting me in the head with a rocking horse goes DOWN, and I feel compelled to introduce them to W.P. Belt( aka Whip) and the Bill Cosby 'tan your underside' attack*.

(*disclaimer: Taalisman does NOT condone child abuse, or corporal punishment for minors. On adults, however....)

I was thinking of the ma to be used ON kids rather than BY kids!
also there was a episode of "get smart" that had kaos forces defeated BY toys fyi!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

In general, the classification "toys" is too general. Most toys fall under some type of WP already, anyhow.
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:[I was thinking of the ma to be used ON kids rather than BY kids!

So you get a greater MA for using a WEAPONS PROFFICIENCY on CHILDREN?
Or even getting an MA usable on kids for taking a W.P....there's a bad sqwuek factor there...
You might want to re-think that one, GREATLY.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:

Or even getting an MA usable on kids for taking a W.P....there's a bad sqwuek factor there...

no, the ma is if you use the wp FOR children NOT on them (the ma becomes a penalty if you use it ON children)
that make any sense?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

abe wrote:
taalismn wrote:

no, the ma is if you use the wp FOR children NOT on them (the ma becomes a penalty if you use it ON children)
that make any sense?

None whatsoever.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:
taalismn wrote:

that make any sense?

None whatsoever.

ok I'll just move on then.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Consider the source 13eowulf, and then click Here

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

invention, this skill is primarally to be combined with other skills to make inventions!
bonus-+1d4 to i.q.
what do you think?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”