Chaos Magic and Rifts

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Chaos Magic and Rifts

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I have only breezed over Chaos Earth but I was told about a spell.. something jackrabit speed or something?

Anyway, it sounded neat and I wanted to know if Ley Line Walkers can learn these spells or if they can only be learned by whatever a Chaos Mage is?

Peace.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Chaos Magic and Rifts

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RJ spd is the chaos magic version of Superhuman spd.

No, a LLW could not learn it because it is specialty magic. Said another way: it is not a common magic invocation that a LLW (or other standard mage type) can learn.

However, the LLW could (if your GM lets you) make a variant of the spell.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:RJ spd is the chaos magic version of Superhuman spd.

No, a LLW could not learn it because it is specialty magic. Said another way: it is not a common magic invocation that a LLW (or other standard mage type) can learn.

Yup, yup, that is KINDA what I figured (I am the GM :lol: ) but I just thought I'd ask encase it says somewhere in it "can be learned by a LLW, etc).
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:RJ spd is the chaos magic version of Superhuman spd.

Yup, yup, that is KINDA what I figured (I am the GM :lol: ) but I just thought I'd ask encase it says somewhere in it "can be learned by a LLW, etc).

The "Zone Wizard" which is listed as the predecessor to the Ley Line Walker, can learn Chaos Magic. So based on that I don't see why a LLW couldn't also learn it.

And besides, you don't really want the Jackrabbit spell that just triples your speed. You want the Speed Demon spell so you can run at 200 MPH!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Dustin Fireblade wrote:

The "Zone Wizard" which is listed as the predecessor to the Ley Line Walker, can learn Chaos Magic. So based on that I don't see why a LLW couldn't also learn it.

And besides, you don't really want the Jackrabbit spell that just triples your speed. You want the Speed Demon spell so you can run at 200 MPH!

specialty magic is not the common magic that 'common magic mages' can learn.
ZW's are not LLW, therefor LLW can not learn chaos magic.

Yes in your games You can let LLW learn specialty magic. But as per canon the answer is no.
Why? Cause specialty magic requires something special (different with each) to make it work, that common magic mages do not have.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

chaos magic is basically humans experimenting with magic casting abilities without having any kind of pre-existing knowledge framework to draw on, like rifts does 300 years later. some of them seem to be variations on themes that you see in the rifts 'standard' magic, and probably represent the early versions of those spells before schools of magic sprung up to record and standardize magic.

i'd allow a mystic to manifest these spells instead of the standard, or let a LLW learn these spells (basically assuming said LLW spent time looking through their magic guild's archives for older magic, and then spent time redeveloping those spells), but in all honestly, chaos magic doesn't really give too much of an advantage in rifts, aside from being a 'character element' a player can use to make their character a bit more unique.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Chaos Mages are intiuitive mages (like mystics).
Also the PPE levels have diminished from the time that Chaos magic worked.

the char would have to be in a place like the lower levels of Center for it to work with the listed PPE cost.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

This seemed like a simple enough question but now it seems I am going to have to read chaos earth.

Thanks guys!! :)
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Yes in your games You can let LLW learn specialty magic. But as per canon the answer is no.
Why? Cause specialty magic requires something special (different with each) to make it work, that common magic mages do not have.

Rise of Magic page 31 Chaos Wizard Spell Notes wrote:The PPE cost...is always double or triple for any other Magic OCC to perform.

So based on that, again, I don't see why a LLW can't learn it.

Not sure why you think a LLW can't learn "specialty" magic. They can learn those spellsongs from Undersea's, Cloud Magic, Blue Flame magic...granted some of those the LLW will pay a penalty to cast, but they can learn how to do it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Rise of Magic page 31 Chaos Wizard Spell Notes wrote:The PPE cost...is always double or triple for any other Magic OCC to perform.

Not sure why you think a LLW can't learn "specialty" magic. They can learn those spellsongs from Undersea's, Cloud Magic, Blue Flame magic...granted some of those the LLW will pay a penalty to cast, but they can learn how to do it.

Have you not read the spell creation/conversion/modification rules in Through the Glass Darkly?
If not, then read and then comment after you have cured your ignorance? :roll: :roll:

Warning: Let's not make posts about each other and instead focus on the content of the post in question.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Have you not read the spell creation/conversion/modification rules in Through the Glass Darkly?
If not, then read and then comment after you have cured your ignorance? :roll: :roll:

I really don't give a crap what some book says for another setting. This is the Chaos Earth/Rifts section, and by THOSE books, a LLW can learn "specialty" magic. Like Chaos Magic.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think it should be allowed, for all the reasons already pointed out. Also consider that the Ley Line Walkers have rediscovered the magic force-field power their early counterparts could learn, so why not Chaos Magic too? And it can make for a great story - what if the Ley Line Walker learned about Chaos Magic by finding a 300 year old journal written by a budding chaos mage zone walker?

Chaos Magic was born on Rifts Earth... there may be some casters who have followed a family legacy of magic dating back to the coming of the Rifts who have kept Chaos magic among their repertoire. There could be some pride inherent in using magic you know (believe) your ancestors developed from scratch.

But the double cost may be a concern for some of the cooler spells, so pay attention to that. Also they cost double or triple more when cast away from a Ley Line if I remember right.
Last edited by Glistam on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Chaos Mages are intiuitive mages (like mystics).
Also the PPE levels have diminished from the time that Chaos magic worked.

the char would have to be in a place like the lower levels of Center for it to work with the listed PPE cost.

I don't buy that. I can agree that it may have been the insanely high magic energy during the Chaos Earth timeframe that allowed for children and those mystically inclined to brute-force their will into tangible spells. But recall that "It is far easier to learn an already existing incantation than it is to create one from scratch." The Chaos Wizards already did the hard part for us, they created it from scratch. Once the Ley Line Walker knows it exists, it's learnable.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Evil Genius Prime wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:I really don't give a crap what some book says for another setting. This is the Chaos Earth/Rifts section, and by THOSE books, a LLW can learn "specialty" magic. Like Chaos Magic.

I agree with this 100%. The "Blue Zone Wizard" can learn any Chaos Magic Spell and any Invocation in the Rifts Book of Magic. The Blue Zone Wizard is the precurser to the Ley Line Walker. So it stands to reason that the Ley Line Walker can also learn Chaos Magic.

Excepting that Chaos Magic as presented in the "rise of magic book" are not 'invocations'. Which is indicated by the relevent texts in the CW & BLW classes.
But then again those indications can be overlooked by those who not looking for them.*shrugs*
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

though necromancy is not an 'invocation' and a LLW can learn it.....actually specialtiy magic is specialty simply because its NOT an Invocation. But when a note specifically states that "cost is double or triple for chaos wizards when not on or dear a blue zone, and always double or triple (as indicated) for ANY OTHER MAGIC O.C.C to perform." That would seem to say right there that other OCCs can learn the spell. It does not say "for zone wizards to peform it says ANY, that implies that anyone COULD learn these spells....just like anyone can learn many of the rifts specialty spells. Infact the exceptions (Biomancy, could magic, spitit magic, warlock, etc) all appear to support this by explicitly stating that they are NOT avalible....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Was looking through the Q&As in the rifters, and it said what I've been saying. Invocation mages can not learn specialty magic spells, but they can learn invocations that mimic specialty magic spells.

Spell conversions to invocations from specialty magic is +5 levels +20% PPE per level. According to the only published Gen. conversion rules.

Note: Chi magic spell conversions to Invocations have their own conversion rules due to the nature of Chi.
(No, not talking about the ISP in the RChinas. But I am talking about the Chi in N&S and MC.)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

From the O.C.C. Design Notes in Rise of Magic, page 18:
Consequently, some of the abilities and spells change over the decades, and some are completely forgotten or lost with the passage of time. Presented in the pages that follow are the various types of magic as they manifested during the early days of Chaos Earth. Most remain this way for the first 50-75 years of the ensuing Dark Age before they start to take on the more familiar mystic arts presented in Rifts.

From the Chaos Wizard Spell Notes in Rise of Magic, page 31:
P.P.E. Cost: The P.P.E. cost is double or triple for Chaos Wizards when not on or near a Blue Zone (within 1000 feet/305 m of a ley line), and always double or triple (as indicated away from the Blue Zones) for any other Magic O.C.C. to perform.

So basically no, a Ley Line Walker does not need to perform the spell conversions as discussed in Through the Glass Darkly (and can't anyway, since they don't receive the Principles of Magic Skill, unlike the Nightbane mage classes) in order to use Chaos magic. Chaos magic was an early form of magic which was either lost after that first century, or changed over time into the invocations which mages are familiar with today. BUT, they were invocations that other magic using O.C.C.s could use (as noted in the Chaos Magic section, quoted above), and as such a Ley Line Walker could learn Chaos Magic spells. The trick is, how does a Ley Line Walker learn them? That's between the player and the G.M..

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Rifter 25, page 92, right column wrote:Can normal Ley Lin Walkers and other magic O.C.C.s learn Chaos Magic spells?
Generally they can Not, since these spells are more intuitive then formal spell magic.

However, a Ley Line Walker could learn to duplicate some of these spells with the same capabilities and statistics as in the Rise of Magic sourcebook (remember the higher P.P.E. cost for non-Chaos Wizards).

rise of magic wrote:...and always double or triple...for any other Maigc O.C.C. to perform.

Note, I just quoted the part of the sentence that deals with other occ's casting their incantation versions of chaos magic.

As per the TtGD conversion rules the PPE increase for +5 levels is x2.48832. Which places it in-between the x2 and x3 other magic OCCs have to cast their versions of Chaos Magic 'spells.'

So what is the :crane: big deal? Is it you just don't want to get a "Non-Rifts" book that just might expand your gaming horizons?

Here is what I have been saying all along: Chaos magic is a unique form of magic where the "spells" are not formal incantations that common magic mages use. So the chaos magic powers need to be converted to Incantations so common magic mages can use them. However, there is a PPE penalty in the incantation that duplicate the chaos mage effects.

The books says:Chaos magic is a unique form of magic where the "spells" are not formal incantations that common magic mages use. So the chaos magic powers need to be converted to Incantations so common magic mages can use them. However, there is a PPE penalty in the incantation that duplicate the chaos mage effects.

You are saying: LLW can just cast chaos magic w/o any :crane: conversions to incantations.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You are saying: LLW can just cast chaos magic w/o any :crane: conversions to incantations.

Yes. Even the non-official source (Rifter 25) which was quoted agrees that they can, and doesn't involve Through The Glass Darkly to do so.

I own Through The Glass Darkly and find it to be a marvelous book, a wonderful addition to my Palladium collection and a huge benefit to my magic users regardless of their source (Nightbane, Mystic China, HU2, Rifts, etcetera). I don't feel it's applicable to the basic question, which was whether or not a Ley Line Walker could learn Chaos Magic.

I think the case here to allow it is pretty cut and dry. Ultimately, it's between the G.M. and the Player to work out the how and why, and the G.M. is certainly within their right to forbid it altogether.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Rifter #25
Art - - 6
From the Desk of Kevin Siembieda - - 7
Palladium News - - 8
Coming Attractions - - 10
N&SS/HU: Guns for Hire (merc skills) - - 14
PFRPG: The Lost Art of Golemancy - - 40
PFRPG: The Fires of Korath pt. 1 - - 45
Rifts: The Enthralled (psionics) - - 67
Rifts-The Hammer of the Forge (fic) - - 83
Rifts: Phage World (psi-stalker vampires) - - 89
Q&A (PFRPG) - - 92 <OFFICIAL>
Rifter Super-Subscription Offer - - 94
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The biggest flaw I see in trying to apply "Through The Glass Darkly" spell conversion rules to Chaos Magic (aside from it being unnecessary) is that Chaos Magic spells don't have a spell level, so you can't increase their spell level by 5 because there is no level in the first place.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Chaos magic "spells" are more like NightBane 'Talents' Then anything else in the PB megaverse, in that they are 'powers' that have a PPE cost. So of course it's "Not Going to be a Perfect Fit."

And any which way you try to do the conversions there is going to be some GM discretion in the conversions. As in "What level will the final "chaos magic power" conversion to "Invocation spell" will finally have?" and "What is the PPE cost multiplier be? x2? x2.5? x3?"
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Rifter 25, page 92, right column wrote:Can normal Ley Lin Walkers and other magic O.C.C.s learn Chaos Magic spells?
Generally they can Not, since these spells are more intuitive then formal spell magic.

However, a Ley Line Walker could learn to duplicate some of these spells with the same capabilities and statistics as in the Rise of Magic sourcebook (remember the higher P.P.E. cost for non-Chaos Wizards).

rise of magic wrote:...and always double or triple...for any other Maigc O.C.C. to perform.

Note, I just quoted the part of the sentence that deals with other occ's casting their incantation versions of chaos magic.

As per the TtGD conversion rules the PPE increase for +5 levels is x2.48832. Which places it in-between the x2 and x3 other magic OCCs have to cast their versions of Chaos Magic 'spells.'

So what is the :crane: big deal? Is it you just don't want to get a "Non-Rifts" book that just might expand your gaming horizons?

Here is what I have been saying all along: Chaos magic is a unique form of magic where the "spells" are not formal incantations that common magic mages use. So the chaos magic powers need to be converted to Incantations so common magic mages can use them. However, there is a PPE penalty in the incantation that duplicate the chaos mage effects.

The books says:Chaos magic is a unique form of magic where the "spells" are not formal incantations that common magic mages use. So the chaos magic powers need to be converted to Incantations so common magic mages can use them. However, there is a PPE penalty in the incantation that duplicate the chaos mage effects.

You are saying: LLW can just cast chaos magic w/o any :crane: conversions to incantations.

so where is the line that says "when casting a converted version of this spell" it simply says when casting THIS SPELL (emphisis mine) that would in fact seem to indicate that THESE spells can be learned by anyone.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:so where is the line that says "when casting a converted version of this spell" it simply says when casting THIS SPELL (emphasis mine) that would in fact seem to indicate that THESE spells can be learned by anyone.....

Because there are assumptions with in the writing, that the invocations mages will have had converted the non-invocations spells into invocations in order to cast them.

I see assumptions like this a lot in the current PB writing, where the writer is assuming the reader already knows something.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:so where is the line that says "when casting a converted version of this spell" it simply says when casting THIS SPELL (emphasis mine) that would in fact seem to indicate that THESE spells can be learned by anyone.....

Because there are assumptions with in the writing, that the invocations mages will have had converted the non-invocations spells into invocations in order to cast them.

I see assumptions like this a lot in the current PB writing, where the writer is assuming the reader already knows something.

yes, but when people start tossing around 'assumed' and 'implied' the whole notions of 'its canon see page X" sort of goes out the window, and we come back to making judgement calls. Sure we can assume they meant that it had to be converted, we can also just as easily assume they meant for them to be cast as is. With out a specific notation one way or the other, assumptions are inherantly going to be influanced by the readers (assumers) personal biases and preconcived views.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:RJ spd is the chaos magic version of Superhuman spd. No, a LLW could not learn it because it is specialty magic.
There's always Heart of Darkness or Miclantecutli's Command.

Glistam wrote:a Ley Line Walker does not need to perform the spell conversions as discussed in Through the Glass Darkly (and can't anyway, since they don't receive the Principles of Magic Skill
You don't need that skill to do conversions, it's just an asset. You can always rely on your raw IQ. Not to mention it's available as a technical skill to ANYONE.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

If a LLW can learn necromancer magic, they can learn CW magic. No reason not to, it is NOT as off the wall as a lot of things that go on rifts earth every day.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The Blue Zone Wizard (the Ley Line Walker's precursor in Rise of Magic) begins play with six Chaos Magic spells and can learn more at level up without difficulty. As Chaos Magic represents an undisciplined, instinctual approach to magic practiced primarily by children, I see no reason why it would require any conversion to be used by other magicians.

In the normal Rifts setting, it seems reasonable to me that young mages-in-training could figure out a handful of Chaos Magic spells on their own while they are learning to become proper Ley Line Walkers, Shifters, etc.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Riftmaker wrote:If a LLW can learn necromancer magic, they can learn CW magic. No reason not to, it is NOT as off the wall as a lot of things that go on rifts earth every day.

While you are marginally correct....the parts you omitted negates the part you were correct on, because you didn't state the limitations on "How" LLW could learn Chaos Magic, in that they can only learn spells that had been converted to invocations.
In other words...There is no saying 'yes' on this subject without also mentioning that there are limitations to that yes.

So the proper way to say it would be "Yes, LLW can learn Chaos Magic spells that has been converted to invocations. And said conversions add 150% to the PPE cost."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:The Blue Zone Wizard (the Ley Line Walker's precursor in Rise of Magic) begins play with six Chaos Magic spells and can learn more at level up without difficulty. As Chaos Magic represents an undisciplined, instinctual approach to magic practiced primarily by children, I see no reason why it would require any conversion to be used by other magicians.

It doesn't.

Tinker Dragoon wrote:In the normal Rifts setting, it seems reasonable to me that young mages-in-training could figure out a handful of Chaos Magic spells on their own while they are learning to become proper Ley Line Walkers, Shifters, etc.

I don't agree with this, only because Chaos Magic is so awesome that I refuse to believe anyone who manages to spontaneously learn it would forget in favor of the standard, lame invocations.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Lately I feel fuzzy when I try and contemplate what invocation means in Palladium. *looks up word in Wiktionary*

1. The act or form of calling for the assistance or presence of some superior being; earnest and solemn entreaty; especially, prayer offered to a divine being.
2. A call or summons; especially, a judicial call, demand, or order; as, the invocation of papers or evidence into court.

The term seems appropriate for PF where casting involves the use of power words which are the names of super-powerful beings like Old Ones and Dragon Gods... although I would also call ward-making and circle-summoning invocation too in that case since they also invoke power words...

I get the impression other setting's magic may or may not use power words though, or at least may possibly use different ones, particularly HU or TMNT which are not as strongly tied to PF as Rifts is.

Even within PF, instinctive-magic classes like the Psi-Mystic don't seem the type to use them either...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:If a LLW can learn necromancer magic, they can learn CW magic. No reason not to, it is NOT as off the wall as a lot of things that go on rifts earth every day.

While you are marginally correct....the parts you omitted negates the part you were correct on, because you didn't state the limitations on "How" LLW could learn Chaos Magic, in that they can only learn spells that had been converted to invocations.
In other words...There is no saying 'yes' on this subject without also mentioning that there are limitations to that yes.

So the proper way to say it would be "Yes, LLW can learn Chaos Magic spells that has been converted to invocations. And said conversions add 150% to the PPE cost."

Actually the conversion just raises the PPE cost to the 'off the blue zone cost' what ever that is.
And yes there are two versions of each of the spells. The 'intuitive chaos version' and a 'learned version'
But the official rules make it clear that there ARE converted versions out there (hence the 'other casters' comments) as opposed to something like Warlock Spells that explicitly can NOT be learned, and can only be converted on a case by case basis.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

There is no conversion necessary, the book clearly illustrates that Chaos Magic can be learned by invocation mages (i.e., the Blue Zone Wizard). The only question a G.M. has to answer in regards to other invocation mages (i.e., the Ley Line Walker) learning Chaos Magic is: Can they have the opportunity?

According to the Chaos Earth: Rise of Magic book, Chaos Magic dies out / fades away within 50-75 years after the cataclysm. So how could a "modern day" mage in Rifts even get such an opportunity? To me that's the bigger question worth exploring.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:There is no conversion necessary, the book clearly illustrates that Chaos Magic can be learned by invocation mages (i.e., the Blue Zone Wizard). The only question a G.M. has to answer in regards to other invocation mages (i.e., the Ley Line Walker) learning Chaos Magic is: Can they have the opportunity?

According to the Chaos Earth: Rise of Magic book, Chaos Magic dies out / fades away within 50-75 years after the cataclysm. So how could a "modern day" mage in Rifts even get such an opportunity? To me that's the bigger question worth exploring.

Sort of. The Rise of Magic book seems to have them 'just be spells' but then they retconned it in the rifter Q&A that you would need a 'spell version'....which does not rule out that the Blue Zone Wizards know the spell version, while the Chaos Mages know the 'other version'.
As for opportunity...many of these spells are very useful, and would likely be used by mages if they had access to them. But they might also be like Combat Magic and, for some reason, "looked down upon" as crude. *shrugs*

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The (not noted as official) Rifter #25 Q&A you refer to:
Q. Can normal Ley Line Walkers and other magic O.C.C.s learn the Chaos Magic spells?

A. Generally they can NOT, since these spells are more intuitive than formal spell magic.

However a Ley Line Walker could learn to duplicate some of these spells with the same capabilities and statistics as in the Rise of Magic sourcebook (remember the higher P.P.E. cost for non-Chaos Wizards).

So... what this Q&A says is that Wizards cannot learn Chaos Magic, but they can learn invocation magic that is exactly the same as written in the Chaos Magic spell description. So basically we're splitting hairs here. Chaos Magic as written is learnable by Ley Line Walkers, they'll just call them invocations.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:The (not noted as official) Rifter #25 Q&A you refer to
...snip

Rifter Index wrote:Rifter #25
Art - - 6
From the Desk of Kevin Siembieda - - 7
Palladium News - - 8
Coming Attractions - - 10
N&SS/HU: Guns for Hire (merc skills) - - 14
PFRPG: The Lost Art of Golemancy - - 40
PFRPG: The Fires of Korath pt. 1 - - 45
Rifts: The Enthralled (psionics) - - 67
Rifts-The Hammer of the Forge (fic) - - 83
Rifts: Phage World (psi-stalker vampires) - - 89
Q&A (PFRPG) - - 92 <OFFICIAL>
Rifter Super-Subscription Offer - - 94

It was made specifically Official after the issue was published when it was noticed that people were not taking it as official even though KS was one of the authors.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The first printing of the Rifter Index that I'm looking at disagrees.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:The first printing of the Rifter Index that I'm looking at disagrees.

Then you are not looking at the continually updated one in the Rifter Forum.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Glistam wrote:The first printing of the Rifter Index that I'm looking at disagrees.

Then you are not looking at the continually updated one in the Rifter Forum.

The one NMI updates, and not Kevin? You're right. Instead I'm looking at the cannon sources (Rifter #25, The Best of The Rifter), and neither of those indicate the Q&A in Rifter #25 is official. In fact, even the forum post Rifter index you're referring to only notes the Palladium Fantasy Q&A from that issue as official, and the quote which keeps coming from Rifter 25 is from a Rifts and Chaos Earth question.

And it's still splitting hairs over nothing. If a Ley Line Walker can learn to cast spells that are exactly like Chaos Magic, then how are they not Chaos Magic? Because now they're called invocations? If the spells do the same thing, and cost the same (because they do according to the unofficial portions of the Rifter #25 Q&A), how has a Ley Line Walker who has learned to duplicate these spells not learned Chaos Magic?

This argument is boring. Chaos Magic is Humanities' magical legacy and deserves to be re-discovered and re-learned. Looking in Palladium's other books shows that magic has been the same across all dimensions for millennia with very little change. In one night magical energy suffused the Earth in raw chaos and Humans took that energy and shaped it into new spells never before seen or known. The Megaverse can look down on them all they want, but the Chaos Wizards who bent magic to their pure will deserve to be celebrated, not buried and forgotten. Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”