Today's Murmur 8/8/12

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Wooly
Adventurer

Today's Murmur 8/8/12

Unread post by Wooly »

"We have big plans for Splicers® next year (like 4-7 new sourcebooks for it)"

4-7 Splicers books in 2013!? Come on Kevin. I am your biggest fan but these excited and unrealistic projections have got to stop!
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Today's Murmur 8/8/12

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Well, in all honesty, Kris Kluge and Chuck Walton turned in a HUGE manuscript that could be pared down into sevral smaller books on its own, and I know that my brothers in law and I are working on at least three smaller sourcebooks, so it isn't out of the question.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Well, in all honesty, Kris Kluge and Chuck Walton turned in a HUGE manuscript that could be pared down into sevral smaller books on its own, and I know that my brothers in law and I are working on at least three smaller sourcebooks, so it isn't out of the question.

Woo hoo!!! With you two on the case, this is bound to be great! Cannot wait to see what you have in mind.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Awesome, but 7? Come on, it is almost impossible to pull it off...unless they are 16 page booklets or something like that and still I am not sure they can release so many SPLICERS books in one year. At least, we are in the news!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
The Galactus Kid

64 to 96 page books isn't out of the question though...
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

What's the policy on submitting stuff for the Rifter that's already been posted on this website?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

The Galactus Kid wrote:64 to 96 page books isn't out of the question though...

the problem is not the amount of material. the problem is the amount of time it takes to get through the pipeline.

until kevin hires a second person to do some editing (which would first require him *allowing* someone else to do editing) it simply isn't going to happen. that is why it's an unreasonable goal.

6-7 books out "eventually"? sure, i can believe that. by the time he's done with those, you guys will probably have written 20 more rifter articles and have another 2 sourcebooks (and not the small kind of sourcebook) ready for him.

6-7 books out next year? not a chance. not unless something changes and kevin gets a second editor, who he actually trusts enough to allow to do the job (ie there's not much point in having an editor who does an edit before kevin, who then edits it again to however he would like it to be).
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:What's the policy on submitting stuff for the Rifter that's already been posted on this website?

GOOD QUESTION! :ok: :bandit:
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:What's the policy on submitting stuff for the Rifter that's already been posted on this website?

Rifter® Submission Guidelines

If you already have "good stuff" on-line, send us an Internet/Web address with a note pointing out what we should look at for consideration in The Rifter®

I pretty sure that would cover the message boards too.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

Panomas wrote:Opps

duh-ouch!!!

Sorry I made a mistake in my post-Hope anyone didn't see it?

Huh? :-?
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
Shark_Force
Palladin

Panomas wrote:He also said, he'd like to hire a couple of more writers. If he does the (supposedly) impossible may well become possible-

again, writers is not the problem. the splicers book was written and partially illustrated already when it went to kevin.

it's the editing that takes forever, because it all goes through one guy. i'm not sure if kevin also handles layout or not, but if he does, he should probably find someone to do that too (it takes a lot of time, which kevin doesn't have if he's going to edit and rewrite large portions of every book that palladium puts out).

ever notice how the rifter comes out regularly, no problem? that's not so much because of who writes it, because many of the same people write rifter articles as write other palladium stuff.

it's because the rifter actually has a separate editor. the stuff in the rifter, for the most part, never sees kevin's desk (and stuff that does presumably can go into whichever rifter happens to be coming out next whenever kevin is finished it).

the one resource which kevin is most desperately short of is time. if kevin could multiply himself into 10 kevins, palladium could probably put out almost 10 times the product as it currently does.
The Galactus Kid

Shark_Force wrote:
Panomas wrote:He also said, he'd like to hire a couple of more writers. If he does the (supposedly) impossible may well become possible-

again, writers is not the problem. the splicers book was written and partially illustrated already when it went to kevin.

it's the editing that takes forever, because it all goes through one guy. i'm not sure if kevin also handles layout or not, but if he does, he should probably find someone to do that too (it takes a lot of time, which kevin doesn't have if he's going to edit and rewrite large portions of every book that palladium puts out).

ever notice how the rifter comes out regularly, no problem? that's not so much because of who writes it, because many of the same people write rifter articles as write other palladium stuff.

it's because the rifter actually has a separate editor. the stuff in the rifter, for the most part, never sees kevin's desk (and stuff that does presumably can go into whichever rifter happens to be coming out next whenever kevin is finished it).

the one resource which kevin is most desperately short of is time. if kevin could multiply himself into 10 kevins, palladium could probably put out almost 10 times the product as it currently does.

I understand completely. Here are a few things which I think may be a saving grace.
1) Splicers isn't Kevin's baby: He knows the line, but it isn't his favorite. He has stated before publically that his favorite is Palladium Fantasy followed by RIFTS. This could mean that any new manuscripts will be limited in the amount of new additional material added by Kevin and the guys. EDIT:This isn't to say that something may not inspire Kevin and get some cool new additions. I'm just saying that there probably isn't anything he's chomping at the bit to include.
2) Clean manuscripts take less time: This is a fact. Irvin Jackson has done a few of the Robotech books and his material is always super clean with little to no editing needed. As a writer for Splicers who has an intimate knowledge of the line, it is my goal to turn in the cleanest manuscriupt that I can in order to speed up the time needed in editing.
3) Smaller sourcebooks take less time to edit: It takes a lot less time to read and edit 64, 72 or 96 page books than it does 192 or 224 page books.

EDIT: Check out Kevins latest murmur HERE where he addresses this specifically.

89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

I have faith and money in the Splicers trio and forums that we will see new Splicers in 2013.

If just for the chance to see Gore puppies.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

While I usually applaud Kevin's insanely optimistic statements........they can't usually get 5-7 books out a year period let alone just for Splicers.......eitehr way I hope as usually he meets his goals even if I REALLY don't think he will.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
The Galactus Kid

jaymz wrote:While I usually applaud Kevin's insanely optimistic statements........they can't usually get 5-7 books out a year period let alone just for Splicers.......eitehr way I hope as usually he meets his goals even if I REALLY don't think he will.

Cautiously optimistic is not a bad way to approach any release schedule.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
jaymz wrote:While I usually applaud Kevin's insanely optimistic statements........they can't usually get 5-7 books out a year period let alone just for Splicers.......eitehr way I hope as usually he meets his goals even if I REALLY don't think he will.

Cautiously optimistic is not a bad way to approach any release schedule.

I think of it more as pessimistic with a dash of "hope" :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Nearly 3 years later from the date of the announced "4-7" Splicers books there are zero sourcebooks. Over a decade since Splicers was released in 2004 without any dedicated support material.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Yea, very sad, but seems like we are starting to see more stuff coming out.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

boxee wrote:Yea, very sad, but seems like we are starting to see more stuff coming out.

You are an eternal optimist sir.
Shark_Force
Palladin

*shrug* i've always figured it would come out eventually, myself.

i don't know when. i'm certainly not going to hold my breath. and the most i could really believe is one book coming out this year.

but it'll come eventually.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Wooly wrote:Nearly 3 years later from the date of the announced "4-7" Splicers books there are zero sourcebooks. Over a decade since Splicers was released in 2004 without any dedicated support material.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

I would caution you about necro thread resurrection, however this is an ongoing issue and this board seems to be mostly dead. (I'm not talking about the hardcore Spliceheads, just that we don't get many "browsers" from the other forums.)
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

RiftJunkie wrote:
Wooly wrote:Nearly 3 years later from the date of the announced "4-7" Splicers books there are zero sourcebooks. Over a decade since Splicers was released in 2004 without any dedicated support material.

I would caution you about necro thread resurrection, however this is an ongoing issue and this board seems to be mostly dead. (I'm not talking about the hardcore Spliceheads, just that we don't get many "browsers" from the other forums.)

I resurrected the thread to illustrate a point. That Splicers is a long neglected product line that has been promised support more than once. :)
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Shark_Force wrote:*shrug* i've always figured it would come out eventually, myself.

i don't know when. i'm certainly not going to hold my breath. and the most i could really believe is one book coming out this year.

but it'll come eventually.

So will the two BtS books and Mechanoids space....eventually....

\m/
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

If anything has been forgotten it has been mechanoid space. by another decade
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Wooly wrote:
RiftJunkie wrote:

I resurrected the thread to illustrate a point. That Splicers is a long neglected product line that has been promised support more than once. :)

I'm all for it! It would be nice if from time to time, someone at PB actually read the boards and realized that they have broken promises. Anything we can do to build upon the already strong (diehard Spliceheads) fan base to get more numbers would be a good thing!
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Chronicle wrote:If anything has been forgotten it has been mechanoid space. by another decade

Go to the Mechanoid Space forum then! This is for ***** about Splicers! Oh wait..... :P
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Technically the murmur didn't say 4-7 would be coming out in the next year, perhaps it meant he would start making them and they would all come out over the span of the next 2 decades.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Splicers®”