new packmasters

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kevarin
Adventurer

new packmasters

Unread post by kevarin »

ok so im thinking about doing up a few new packmaster support animals
but wondering what animals other people might like to see

i have ideas for the following animals
bear
wolverine, badger
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
boxee
Hero

Re: new packmasters

Unread post by boxee »

kevarin wrote:ok so im thinking about doing up a few new packmaster support animals

bear
wolverine, badger

Hummm intersting, all the above animals are very cool. I think the gore hounds are cool, and versitile. How big are you thinking? Badgers are natural tunnelers so maybe infiltration missions for them? Bears are generally seen as large powerful creatures, and are smarter then most people think.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

boxee wrote:
kevarin wrote:ok so im thinking about doing up a few new packmaster support animals

bear
wolverine, badger

Hummm intersting, all the above animals are very cool. I think the gore hounds are cool, and versitile. How big are you thinking? Badgers are natural tunnelers so maybe infiltration missions for them? Bears are generally seen as large powerful creatures, and are smarter then most people think.

i love packmasters its one of my favorite classes to play i just think that not every house or culture would use hounds so thought i might work on some of these other animal types and if anyone has some they want to add please feel free i would love to see some more animals here.

the wolverine, badgers would be about 3 to 4 ft at the shoulders with lots of armor high strength and mean claws for digging and ripping NEXUS and splicers units to ribbons
i liked this animal because anything that small and crazy enough to try and steal a meal from a bear should be a packmaster animal in my book.

im still not sure on which type of bear i want to use for this or how big i want to make this support animal
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

kevarin wrote:
boxee wrote:

bear
wolverine, badger

i love packmasters its one of my favorite classes to play i just think that not every house or culture would use hounds so thought i might work on some of these other animal types and if anyone has some they want to add please feel free i would love to see some more animals here.

the wolverine, badgers would be about 3 to 4 ft at the shoulders with lots of armor high strength and mean claws for digging and ripping NEXUS and splicers units to ribbons
i liked this animal because anything that small and crazy enough to try and steal a meal from a bear should be a packmaster animal in my book.

im still not sure on which type of bear i want to use for this or how big i want to make this support animal

I also like them a great deal, would love to play a splicers game, but I do not know anyone in my area that would be interested.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

a couple thoughts...

gorehounds are basically superdogs. they get used for the same kinds of things humans would use dogs for. humans don't have any particular set default for bears, wolverines, or badgers, because we don't really have those animals widely domesticated. you could certainly get the concept of a character who is in charge of multiple creatures, but it wouldn't really be quite the same as a packmaster with gorehounds - dogs are, after all, "man's best friend". nobody ever said that about bears. so, i would tend to think that the role, as well as the perspective towards these new "packmaster" types, would change; i think you might actually even see gorehounds walking around in the middle of splicer cities (towns, villages, etc), but i don't think you'd ever see a bear or especially a wolverine or badger (too unstable, if they go ballistic you've got a huge problem). in comparison, the falconer is basically working with something the human race has domesticated. along those lines, i would expect gorehounds and falconers to be much more common, with perhaps cats, horses, elephants, dolphins, and similar animals that humans have domesticated, being particularly more common... although there are certainly cultures where domesticating bears is not unheard of either. basically, though, you can't just copy/paste the OCC imo... to put it another way, you would probably be fine with someone bringing a dog to a park near your house. you might visit someone's house if they had a dog - even if the dog is a large breed that could potentially hurt you if it attacked. personally, i would be a bit more hesitant to go hang out around someone who has a wolverine roaming around their house, and that should be reflected; they might exist as experiments, or even be fairly common, but they certainly aren't likely to be as *welcome* or appreciated as much as a packmaster with gorehounds.

so not only should you be modifying the role of someone who has a group of wolverines at their command... it's also going to be different in how they're treated.

that being said, i would look towards the more commonly domesticated animal types for inspiration in new warmounts to be used in 'packs'... a herd of elephants used primarily for heavy labour, a group of cats used for seek and destroy missions, or even gerbils and hamsters to be used for burrowing and infiltration. basically, think of the sorts of animals people keep as pets today (and which they interact with regularly, not just keeping them in an aquarium to look at every now and then) and you'll get the kinds of creatures people will *tend* towards having an OCC similar to packmaster, imo. bears and wolverines and badgers could make great warmounts, but i'm not sure it would make sense to have several of them any more so than, say, having a single person in charge of two zephyrs or something like that.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Shark_Force wrote:a couple thoughts...

gorehounds are basically superdogs. they get used for the same kinds of things humans would use dogs for. humans don't have any particular set default for bears, wolverines, or badgers, because we don't really have those animals widely domesticated. you could certainly get the concept of a character who is in charge of multiple creatures, but it wouldn't really be quite the same as a packmaster with gorehounds - dogs are, after all, "man's best friend". nobody ever said that about bears. so, i would tend to think that the role, as well as the perspective towards these new "packmaster" types, would change; i think you might actually even see gorehounds walking around in the middle of splicer cities (towns, villages, etc), but i don't think you'd ever see a bear or especially a wolverine or badger (too unstable, if they go ballistic you've got a huge problem). in comparison, the falconer is basically working with something the human race has domesticated. along those lines, i would expect gorehounds and falconers to be much more common, with perhaps cats, horses, elephants, dolphins, and similar animals that humans have domesticated, being particularly more common... although there are certainly cultures where domesticating bears is not unheard of either. basically, though, you can't just copy/paste the OCC imo... to put it another way, you would probably be fine with someone bringing a dog to a park near your house. you might visit someone's house if they had a dog - even if the dog is a large breed that could potentially hurt you if it attacked. personally, i would be a bit more hesitant to go hang out around someone who has a wolverine roaming around their house, and that should be reflected; they might exist as experiments, or even be fairly common, but they certainly aren't likely to be as *welcome* or appreciated as much as a packmaster with gorehounds.

so not only should you be modifying the role of someone who has a group of wolverines at their command... it's also going to be different in how they're treated.

that being said, i would look towards the more commonly domesticated animal types for inspiration in new warmounts to be used in 'packs'... a herd of elephants used primarily for heavy labour, a group of cats used for seek and destroy missions, or even gerbils and hamsters to be used for burrowing and infiltration. basically, think of the sorts of animals people keep as pets today (and which they interact with regularly, not just keeping them in an aquarium to look at every now and then) and you'll get the kinds of creatures people will *tend* towards having an OCC similar to packmaster, imo. bears and wolverines and badgers could make great warmounts, but i'm not sure it would make sense to have several of them any more so than, say, having a single person in charge of two zephyrs or something like that.

To be fair I must say splicer animals are not normal animals, and cannot be judged in the way we view them. I seriously doubt ANY house would have normal pets running around, cats, dogs, falcons, dolphins, and elephants. Most of the warmounts have the ability to burrow to hide from machines, yes there are exceptions.
I personally have a little story for you, it begins when I was a young boy. I met a girl, went to her house, no we were not alone get your mind out of the gutter you fanboys! Anyway I was sitting in her livingroom, she and her friend went upstairs for a minute, no idea why, cant remember at this time. So sitting in the livingroom and two great danes walk in and walk up to me staring me in the face litterally inches away. I though I was dead, they are HUGE. At that point her older sister and her sisters boyfriend came in, and put the dogs in another room. So bears, Lions, Tigers, yea big predators, but not as scarry as some people think.
I am a dog person, I like dogs, grew up with pet dogs. I can see your view as badgers, bears, and wolverines are not domesticated and generally not pack animals. I do like the idea of a warmount based on them as well.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

IDEA

PRIDE-Masters

LIONS are the what these gorehound-like animals are based on. They have an entire Pride of these Gore-Lions instead of gorehounds. Lions are natural Pack-animals and socialable.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Shark_Force
Palladin

boxee wrote:To be fair I must say splicer animals are not normal animals, and cannot be judged in the way we view them. I seriously doubt ANY house would have normal pets running around, cats, dogs, falcons, dolphins, and elephants. Most of the warmounts have the ability to burrow to hide from machines, yes there are exceptions.
I personally have a little story for you, it begins when I was a young boy. I met a girl, went to her house, no we were not alone get your mind out of the gutter you fanboys! Anyway I was sitting in her livingroom, she and her friend went upstairs for a minute, no idea why, cant remember at this time. So sitting in the livingroom and two great danes walk in and walk up to me staring me in the face litterally inches away. I though I was dead, they are HUGE. At that point her older sister and her sisters boyfriend came in, and put the dogs in another room. So bears, Lions, Tigers, yea big predators, but not as scarry as some people think.
I am a dog person, I like dogs, grew up with pet dogs. I can see your view as badgers, bears, and wolverines are not domesticated and generally not pack animals. I do like the idea of a warmount based on them as well.

we know for a fact that the resistance uses normal horses. i almost guarantee that there would be simple pets as well... it teaches the children responsibility, helps them learn about taking care of animals (ie preparing them for a future life as outriders/packmasters potentially), gives them a friend to play with, helps relieve stress, etc.

furthermore, most of the animals we keep as pets have some other use... dogs and cats can be used for pest control, and dogs are also useful for various types of work (rescue, herding animals, hunting, etc). the simple fact is... if you can scatter dogs amongst the population and make the rat-bombs blow up a single terrier instead of half a dozen children, that dog has more than earned it's keep, even from a ruthless and practical point of view, because those kids can grow up to contribute to the resistance in some way (and have children of their own).
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

Romel wrote:Hey first time posting here.

Found this thought you guys might be interested.

http://madjaguar.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2qkds4

welcome to the board Romel

that lucky find is Premier's work an artist for Palladium. he is a brilliant artist
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Shark_Force wrote:
boxee wrote:To be fair I must say splicer animals are not normal animals, and cannot be judged in the way we view them. I seriously doubt ANY house would have normal pets running around, cats, dogs, falcons, dolphins, and elephants. Most of the warmounts have the ability to burrow to hide from machines, yes there are exceptions.

we know for a fact that the resistance uses normal horses. i almost guarantee that there would be simple pets as well... it teaches the children responsibility, helps them learn about taking care of animals (ie preparing them for a future life as outriders/packmasters potentially), gives them a friend to play with, helps relieve stress, etc.

furthermore, most of the animals we keep as pets have some other use... dogs and cats can be used for pest control, and dogs are also useful for various types of work (rescue, herding animals, hunting, etc). the simple fact is... if you can scatter dogs amongst the population and make the rat-bombs blow up a single terrier instead of half a dozen children, that dog has more than earned it's keep, even from a ruthless and practical point of view, because those kids can grow up to contribute to the resistance in some way (and have children of their own).

I do not think many do use horses, other then wild horses, way too easy to track them back to your base, unless you are not hiding from the machine, in witch case i did not know you could play zombies in this setting...... But I can see why you would use cats and dogs, thanks for the insight.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

boxee wrote:I do not think many do use horses, other then wild horses, way too easy to track them back to your base, unless you are not hiding from the machine, in witch case i did not know you could play zombies in this setting...... But I can see why you would use cats and dogs, thanks for the insight.

you always have to remember that NEXUS wants 'humans' dead not wildlife (except rats), she continually releases new creatures from her cryo zoos and releases them into the wild and if you get caught in her nature preserves you are toast.

it would not surprise me if there are packs of wild horses roaming all over the planet, so dont be too worried about N following your tracks.
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

krispy wrote:
boxee wrote:I do not think many do use horses, other then wild horses, way too easy to track them back to your base, unless you are not hiding from the machine, in witch case i did not know you could play zombies in this setting...... But I can see why you would use cats and dogs, thanks for the insight.

you always have to remember that NEXUS wants 'humans' dead not wildlife (except rats), she continually releases new creatures from her cryo zoos and releases them into the wild and if you get caught in her nature preserves you are toast.

it would not surprise me if there are packs of wild horses roaming all over the planet, so dont be too worried about N following your tracks.

Your wisdom shows clear my friend, you are the master, I mearly the student. It is always a pleasure to speak with you !
Boxee

Also my House DeLong is very worried about just this kind of situation, leading the machines back to their doorways.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

boxee wrote:Your wisdom shows clear my friend, you are the master, I mearly the student. It is always a pleasure to speak with you !
Boxee

Also my House DeLong is very worried about just this kind of situation, leading the machines back to their doorways.

No worries mate

when concerned with keeping your location secret, that is a constant vigil for all and could be a major cornerstone in your game.
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

nice work
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

boxee wrote:

nice work

yea that's one of premiers best pics but then i like everything he has drawn for splicers

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

So, I think we are all thinking the same thing... gore cows! Mooooo!!!!
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

So, I think we are all thinking the same thing... gore cows! Mooooo!!!!

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Pack and Herd animals would be best i would think.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

TechnoGothic wrote:Pack and Herd animals would be best i would think.

BATTLE COWS for the win!!!!!!!!

Two new war mounts-
The Bovine Field Master, the only war mount you can milk......
The Demon Hog, this warmount sports bat-liks wings.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

The more I think about it the more I think killer death cows as awesome. Stampede, trample, gore.... and milk does the body good.

TechnoGothic
Knight

HOGZILLA Warmount !!

Now that is a great idea. Make it 10ft at the shoulder and over 25ft in length.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Hey Everyone!

What an interesting topic that I really wanted to dig into earlier but I have been drawing like a mad man and so I had to delay my thoughts and post. Glad I did as you all have surfaced a great deal of wise thoughts, suggestions and considerations. Anyone who knows me knows that I harvest a considerable amount of info on formidable wildlife and I study it as a long-term hobby and with a passion. That’s is one of the MAJOR reasons I have taken to Splicers so strong because I have literally a ton of ideas and material to express. I will be glad to throw my 2 cents in this thread.

Man… where to begin? :eek:

I guess I can start with the bears, badgers and wolverines.
I can tell you that the latter two are already in the works in a major way and are already written up by Slappy! Though ours is not a pack animal and we utilized the influences of the wolverine, the American badger and the Rattel/honey badger, (you guys will love it I hope!)

Mustelids are literally one of my favorite classes of carnivores and they are IMHO highly underestimated and I plan to change that. I must agree that for most part badgers and wolverines don’t make the best socialized animals and “if” the Librarians still have to contend with toning down natural instincts, some initial animal behaviors and physical morphology design limitations for the field, then as an “efficient” pack animal these would “likely” not be ideal critters to have for Packmasters. I agree with the domestication issue as well as the liberty of the setting, but realistically speaking domesticated animals offer far more advantages as a pack unit than those that have to be broken or altered. As a pack there is no other more efficient land based pack hunter carnivore than canids, unless you consider insects. Canids simply have the highest successful kill ratio out of all the other social and solitary land based carnivores. Dholes, Wolves, African wild dogs & various hunting dogs trained in the field like Dogo Agentinos, Alanos, Saluki, Catch dogs, Fox terriers, etc., they are simply the best at what they do. Add the versatility, trainability and the ability to be very cohesive with man, there is just a higher margin of success for the two species to meld in the field and in human society.

With that being said, badgers (European & American species) and wolverines have been successfully raised as orphaned pups/kits as pets and in some cases have been docile enough to be kept when they are adults, but this is more solitary individuals once maturity sets in and its still a rare thing. They rarely tolerate each other’s presence in the wild and this is because they are often in competition for food and territory with one another. Badgers and wolverines would not be ideal for running down or escaping from the Machine versus a more fleet footed pack hunter. Wolverines put up a great deal of defensive resistance against wolf packs, cougars and bears at kill sites, but if the bear really wants the carcass they will kill wolverines and this has been recorded. Badgers also have a great defense against rivals but they do this by using a burrow to guard their hindquarters, thick loose skin and stinky musk glands. If forced they can always go underground though. In the harsh setting of Splicers, pack hunters really need to have some form of significant speed to get in and get out of heated scenarios. The more versatile the better. Wolverines & badgers simply don’t have the build for this type of running and agility. They are powerfully built, surprisingly in fact (I can post some incredible feats if you want of impressive scientific reports). However, I don’t see them being ideal as pack hunters, especially where it warrants them being implemented over Gorehounds. Maybe as underground haven defense.

Now with that being said I must admit with my heart for the mustelids, that I have a mustelid Packmaster design brewing for a longtime (literally 4 years and going). I have an O.C.C. concept sitting on the drawing board that might be right up you all’s alley. See while badgers and wolverines may not be best suited for pack use, domesticated polecats (i.e. “Fitch Ferrets”) have been successfully domesticated and used to hunt and bolt quarry from the ground and fight animals (rabbits, rats, foxes, stoats, etc.) underground and in tight spaces for centuries. Ferreting is a traditional sport and in some cases they even work in cooperation with hawks & Whippets to hunt game that tries to escape from another hole once a ferret enters the burrow. So I could easily imagine 350-pound Bio Armored Ferrets working along side Gore hound and bacla talons and other Pack beast seamlessly. Ferrets are also very sociable animals and Hobs (males) and Jills (Females) can live alongside one another cohesively and will work as a pack against rivals. Ferrets have done this many times to usurp competitors. Ferrets are intelligent, nimble, endurance, playful as puppies, easily trainable and they have a very powerful bite and have exceptional fighting capability. What I did was utilized them as the foundation and then added in River Otters (especially the South American Giant otters known to fight, kill caiman and anacondas and eat piranha), another sociable , powerful pack hunter mustelid. In fact Giant otters are considered to be one of the top five predators in South America along side jaguars, caiman, anacondas and the Harpy Eagle. I then rounded it out by adding the fisher (the larger cousin of the pine marten for speed and versatility, know for killing porcupines, lynx, cats & foxes using speed and strategies. Fishers are literally one of the fastest & deadliest pond for pound weasels I have ever read about. Fuse this concoction and you have a serious nasty fighter with exceptional flexibility, agility, nimbleness, striking speed and an efficient pack hunter that can go where most other species aren’t as adept (i.e.; underground, tree canopy or in water). Such a pack animal would fill the void very nicely IMHO. I was thinking of breaking this Gore species up into 2 category types for the O.C.C.
1.) Gore Otters (the more amphibious Ferret/Otter type with webbed feet flat rudder tail and more amphibious features and larger size.
2.) Ferret Strikers (the more land based and arboreal unit type with the greater speed and lithe builds.

The O.C.C. can mix them as they choose as they are essentially the same creature, but each type has its own feature benefits and penalties to balance out the choices.

As to Bears, hmmm… this is a good one to ponder on, because as most bears are anti-sociable by nature there are cases of bears working together. The bears are certainly a creature we didn’t overlook, but again it was utilized a Warmount and not as a pack animal. For most part I don’t see bears as a pack animal based on the nature of bears, though I can’t help but think how sweet it would be to have a Packmaster who has a pack of Malaysian Sun bears. They have the scythe like claws, they pack a lot of power, their small size in comparison wouldn’t draw in attention and give away character positions and they can seriously fight. I wouldn’t mind doing up a Packmaster that controlled a group of Bio Tech sun bears. The more I think about it, the more I would love to do it. They would look cute but deadly and could hold their own easily.

I would be interested in seeing what you all do if you decide to do a bear Packmaster idea.

The only other animal & O.C.C. that I currently have as WIP is a pack creature based off of baboons (Olive & Chacma baboon species to be specific). Can’t wait to get that one done.

As to other ideas, I pondered the idea of sleek imperial yet elegant looking gazelle like creatures, called “Kirins,” used as high-speed gun strikers & scouts with ranged weapons and organic thrusters for high-speed land based hover ability as their mainstay. They would be designed to lase opponents, utilizing their speed and range weaponry. They wouldn’t be designed to engage up close melee unless they were forced to, where sharp hooves and antler horns would handle the melee. They would be small enough to fleet through dense brush, would be herbivores so they would be easy to feed and fast as hell.

Whew!
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

As to hogs, their goes the neighborhood. :x
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Moving on to the Link, BTW, Welcome aboard Romel and thank you for the post. I appreciate you and everyone else who has shown highly appreciated support and interest in not only my art but also in this wonderful setting!

Boxee and Krispy, You all mentioned a GREAT point about leading the machine back to havens or revealing havens and I am glad you took the time to consider this important challenge when creating things. This is why size plays such an important role, so you want the most bang for your buck for the most efficient size possible.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I like the Kirins idea...

What about the battle cows? :D

Shark_Force
Palladin

horses (normal ones, not just mega-horses) get a warmount entry in the main book, and are listed as possible/probable starting equipment for several OCCs.

i agree with you in that it's kinda surprising, but... it is what it is.

edit: oh, and yeah... the mustelid pack master does indeed seem like it would be an interesting OCC... honestly, i could even see a pack master with regular gore hounds as well as the mustelids...
TechnoGothic
Knight

I could see two cool types of Hogzillas.
The Standard Hogzilla of course.
The second type called "Boss-Hogs". These are the Leaders types. They could possess Huge Shoulders with extra muscle and armor and these could be the hogzillas with built-in Warmount saddles for Outriders to sit on/in.

Pictures a Reptilian Hog. The "Razorbacks" could have Bio-Buzzsaws on their backs to keep things off their backs and to use as a weapon in shoulder ramming attacks. Metabolism would be Loviare (rock/sand eater). Maybe we could come up with a new Metabolism that eats METALs !! To make them actually hunt and eat Robots, and to clean up robot debris on battlefields.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Not sure where in the world you all are, so I will let you know of a recent and IMO disturbing event that has been documented. Bears travelling in pack, I first saw these related to yellowstone park, so thats not tooo bad. The second one was packs of bears in urban new jersey, this to me is a very bad thing, they are not afraid of dogs or humans. I think when this happens you need to kill the pack. It is just a matter of time before the bears eat children. Bears usually go after the easiest target, so toddlers are in a great deal of danger.
To me this proves bears are pack animals.
You can look up this for yourself if you wish.
Boxee
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

TechnoGothic wrote:I could see two cool types of Hogzillas.
The second type called "Boss-Hogs". These are the Leaders types. They could possess Huge Shoulders with extra muscle and armor and these could be the hogzillas with built-in Warmount saddles for Outriders to sit on/in.

Pictures a Reptilian Hog. The "Razorbacks" could have Bio-Buzzsaws on their backs to keep things off their backs and to use as a weapon in shoulder ramming attacks. Metabolism would be Loviare (rock/sand eater). Maybe we could come up with a new Metabolism that eats METALs !! To make them actually hunt and eat Robots, and to clean up robot debris on battlefields.

That is a good idea......
The Dragon Has Spoken
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Hogzilla you say... You might want to see what Splicers bacon taste like first:
http://madjaguar.deviantart.com/art/Vire-Boar-209553383
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Premier wrote:

I enclosed the full write up in this thread for You SPLICEHEADS to test and give/post your feedback on in that thread:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=115910&p=2364912&sid=9a78efb5d187a998bfce81cc983c8ea0#p2364912

@ Techno-Gothic: I couldn't believe what I was reading when I read your description and I had to post the Vire Boar so that you can see that crazy great minds do think alike.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Awesome.
All it needs is Organic Buzzsaws along the shoulders ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Premier wrote:

HOLY KUDZU BATMAN THAT IS DUBIOUS INDEED!!!!!!!!!
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

:eek: HOLY CARP!!!!! :eek:

Hey Pumba got Spliced :lol:

Now we need a Spliced Timon
Last edited by Snake Eyes on Sat May 21, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragon Has Spoken
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

those are some nasty new animals my nephews are so lucky they are flying classes

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Premier wrote:
Premier wrote:

I enclosed the full write up in this thread for You SPLICEHEADS to test and give/post your feedback on in that thread:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=115910&p=2364912&sid=9a78efb5d187a998bfce81cc983c8ea0#p2364912

@ Techno-Gothic: I couldn't believe what I was reading when I read your description and I had to post the Vire Boar so that you can see that crazy great minds do think alike.

I went and looked at your art, it is awsome dude! I have a question in your packmaster picture the gorehounds were small and large, is that the way they are in the setting? I like the idea of small gorehounds.
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Since this is about new "Beast Master" O.C.C.s, I have had some ideas that could use feedback:

+Gore Bats, an alternative for the Falconer, echolocation, and any number of night themes.

+Gore Crabs, an undersea type, great for salvage, construction, and demolitions.

+Gore Macaques, infamous in India, useful in sabotage and theft, and urban climbers.

+Gore Penguins, arctic swimmers, search and rescue, and icy sliders.

Other ideas include Lemmings, rabbits, moles, skunks, and meerkats.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

89er wrote:Since this is about new "Beast Master" O.C.C.s, I have had some ideas that could use feedback:

+Gore Bats, an alternative for the Falconer, echolocation, and any number of night themes.

+Gore Crabs, an undersea type, great for salvage, construction, and demolitions.

+Gore Macaques, infamous in India, useful in sabotage and theft, and urban climbers.

Interesting ideas. I like the bat idea might steal that!
Crabs are excellent at adapting to new ecologies and have developed many species specific environmental advantages.
Macaques, have you seen the movie "Congo" might have some ideas in that if you watch it for the killer apes.
Penguins, puffins and similar might be good if your running in the north pole, I think I would use otter family animals, but that is personal like/dislike, I say if you want to write it up go for it man. Sealions are also an idea, I am not really familiar with penguins. Also there are a type of bird near Australia that dive from great heights to spear fish, they are swimming birds.
Hope my input is helpful to you, and hope you keep us up to date on this subject.
Boxee
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

89er wrote:Since this is about new "Beast Master" O.C.C.s, I have had some ideas that could use feedback:

Gore Bat: i can see giant vampiric bats using echolocation to create a 3d image of the nighttime landscape. where the Falconer has a special system built into their helmets that can process and integrate all the info from their bats (imagine Daredevil's vision and the phone ability in Dark Knight) and the bats swarming on a victim draining it of its life giving fluids

Gore Crabs: hmm intersting, the scavengers of the sea, they would have a lot of uses

Gore Macaques: i can see them being used for sabotage and theft, they could be used as an early warning system for approaching threats as monkeys are notorious for howling and causing a ruckus when a predator is nearby
connecting the dots
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

kevarin wrote:
boxee wrote:

nice work

yea that's one of premiers best pics but then i like everything he has drawn for splicers

The pack master is a commisioned piece for my brother in law. Borrisis his character and each of the hounds is awesome. we have really xpanded the gorehound and we have combined a bunch of things for a "prevalent breed" in the dogs. I'm pretty sure that he and I are going to flesh that out a bit more for a future article.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
kevarin wrote:
boxee wrote:

nice work

The pack master is a commisioned piece for my brother in law. Borrisis his character and each of the hounds is awesome. we have really xpanded the gorehound and we have combined a bunch of things for a "prevalent breed" in the dogs. I'm pretty sure that he and I are going to flesh that out a bit more for a future article.

I would love to see their write ups.
The Galactus Kid

They are pretty disgustingly awesome. I'll see if I can get him to e-mail me their stats and a brief description of each one from his characters point of view and get them posted here.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

boxee wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
kevarin wrote:
boxee wrote:

nice work

I would love to see their write ups.

Sorry for the delay. This was the stats at the time I illustrated it...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=110815

...though I am certain possible enhancements in GK's campaign may have developed even further since then.
The Galactus Kid

Premier wrote: Sorry for the delay. This was the stats at the time I illustrated it...

...though I am certain possible enhancements in GK's campaign may have developed even further since then.

He has since added a new hound, Nightshade, which is based on a Big ol' sheepdog and totes some of the modified plant enhancements from a Gardener. We're starting back up with the next chapter in probably begining in September.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

This may be an old idea (probably posted early in the Splicers forum) but how about a Falconer using bats instead of birds?
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

BookWyrm wrote:This may be an old idea (probably posted early in the Splicers forum) but how about a Falconer using bats instead of birds?

yer mate, it has been discussed here, & just recently but the concept is pretty cool isnt it :)

89er brought it up in this thread
'Gore Bats, an alternative for the Falconer, echolocation, and any number of night themes'

i really like the little discussed ability of the falconer when they give their black talon war hawks 'butchers organs'...their size increases by 10% and they turn into a vulture
connecting the dots
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Thanks, Krispy!
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

BookWyrm wrote:Thanks, Krispy!

Your welcome :-)
connecting the dots
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Premier wrote: Sorry for the delay. This was the stats at the time I illustrated it...

He has since added a new hound, Nightshade, which is based on a Big ol' sheepdog and totes some of the modified plant enhancements from a Gardener. We're starting back up with the next chapter in probably begining in September.

Thats right...! I do remember you mentioning the new addition to the pack. Nightshade, so sweet a name. Now is this Gorehound a "sheep dog" breed base or one based off the sheep dog guardian type or LGD like a the Komondor? Komondors are known wolf killers and have that mop corded look that could go good with your ideas on the plant implementations. other formidable LGDs are Akbash, Anatolians, Kangals, Ovtcharkas, CAOs and Sarplinacs(spelling??). But if your looking for that sheep dog look, the Komondor would do the trick nicely or even a Bouvier de Flandres.

Please keep us informed on the new Chapter.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

BookWyrm wrote:This may be an old idea (probably posted early in the Splicers forum) but how about a Falconer using bats instead of birds?

Yes your correct it has been brought up as Krispy also stated, but I haven't seen an actual write up for Gorebats and I wonder how people would truly implement them in the field?

A Gore-bat would likely have to have some interesting augmentations to warrant it over a formidable Avian bird of prey as Hawks predate bats, not to mention anyone seen the videos of Mongolian Falconers/Eagle hunters using Golden eagles to hunt wolves?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgn ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWFtWzFbXCY

Truly Impressive and I know when I showed the videos to Slappy, he showed good interest in "possibly" updating the Black Talons.

So choosing a Gorebat would really warrant a need in the field that the Black Talon is not best suited for, perhaps stealth and assassinations could be the reason for a Gorebat. Such as a Skinjob using a Gorebat for recon and infiltration, perhaps biting someobody while they're sleeping or injecting them with toxins, who knows. I would be interested in reading a "good" Write-up on one.

Return to “Splicers®”