Anyone use Mechanoids in their games?

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jesterzzn
Champion

Anyone use Mechanoids in their games?

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

If so how?
:fool:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

In my Rifts campaign (currently stalled), the characters are fighting the mechanoid swarm from SB2.

The god Hocknar has come to Earth to battle the Mechanoids, and has (with the party's help) raised a decent sized army. He leads seek and destroy missions against the mechanoids, with heavy losses on both sides.

Meanwhile the party is about to make contact with Archie and find out more about the Mechanoids. One of the PCs is a Shemarrian (experimental version with a neural intelligence), and Archie is going to upgrade her a bit to help fight the swarm.

Generally, my players don't like mechanoid adventures though.
Possibly because they get their butts kicked so often.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Jesterzzn
Champion

That sounds alot like my campaign. The "higher power" helping my pcs is Varuna, and he only does so through minions and what not. After buying mechanoid invasion trilogy, I plan to adapt the third book, and have the pcs head to the mechanoid homeworld. Can't wait to get that rolling.

My players really enjoy the challenge the Mechies present, they see it as a big step up from the wash rinse repeat adventures involving the CS that we ran for the better part of 3 years. That and after a few years in one campaign the typical CS or demon encounter was much less exciting than it once was.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

I have run a few sessions of Chaos Earth, using the Mechanoids as the Great Cataclysm, rather than some man-made disaster. Basically importing the scenario from Gideon E to Chaos Earth. It works great and is lots of fun. :-D
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

The one occasion I used mechanoids was in a single player RIFTS game I ran; big mistake. A pair of Wasps annihilated the fully power-armored player in less than a melee. Whoopsie, I guess mechanoids are for large group adventures :-)
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

J. Lionheart wrote:The one occasion I used mechanoids was in a single player RIFTS game I ran; big mistake. A pair of Wasps annihilated the fully power-armored player in less than a melee. Whoopsie, I guess mechanoids are for large group adventures :-)

Wasps in particular are extremely deadly.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

been thinking about using them, but the whole butt kicking thing presents a problem. I think I'll wait until I have a very high level party with vast firepower who need a challenge...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
J. Lionheart wrote:The one occasion I used mechanoids was in a single player RIFTS game I ran; big mistake. A pair of Wasps annihilated the fully power-armored player in less than a melee. Whoopsie, I guess mechanoids are for large group adventures :-)

Yeah... and they only popped up because of a random encounter roll. D'oh!
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Kalinda wrote:been thinking about using them, but the whole butt kicking thing presents a problem. I think I'll wait until I have a very high level party with vast firepower who need a challenge...

Or just reduce the encounters.
Only one thinman and one runt vs. a group of PCs...
or even wounded mechanoids.

Or run the Mechanoids kind of like the show Firefly deals with Reavers... you never see them directly, just the aftermath... most of the time you just run as soon as you know they're in the area.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

J. Lionheart wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yeah... and they only popped up because of a random encounter roll. D'oh!

:-D
Yeah, I've lost a LOT of PCs to random encounters like that...

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

mechanoids make great villans.
Ive used them once or twice before with
great effect
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

I used them in a Macross 2 campaign, with all the players playing Zentranor Meltran. Wasps are pretty nasty with those auto-dodges, but mind you...so can a fully loaded Zentran battle pod with its 72 missile :D
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Jesterzzn
Champion

Jockitch74 wrote:I used them in a Macross 2 campaign, with all the players playing Zentranor Meltran. Wasps are pretty nasty with those auto-dodges, but mind you...so can a fully loaded Zentran battle pod with its 72 missile :D
That's a great idea. Mechys would be the perfect villain for the stagnant Robotech campaign.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Haven't really used them much.

According to Rifter #4 and Aftermath. Archie-Three manufactures Thinman and Runt bots (he learned how during his correspondence with the buggers), so I use them in that capacity.
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Jesterzzn Wrote: [/quote]That's a great idea. Mechys would be the perfect villain for the stagnant Robotech campaign.[quote]

Well, not quite Robotech, but still close enough :) . Only ran it for a few adventures before haveing the combine fleets of Feff/Ishtar and the U.N. Spacy destroying the Mechanoid planet ship (Yeah, I know its big, but several thousand heavy particle beams firing in unison at a given target is a beautiful thing :D .

Thinking if I run it again, the players will be U.N Spacy Valkyrie Pilots (Heh, Metal Siren would eat wasps for breakfast). Broaden the universe a little more, add colony worlds, different races (Thinking maybe the races from Manhunter because they're cool and they seem to fit in well...with a little adjustment. Maybe developed the Manhunter robots to fight the Mechanoids? Unsure about that one.), add some human m.d.c weapons and armor (similar in damage scale to old Coaltion stuff. Nothing too powerful)
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

My current Campaign

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I know this is a little late, but I thought I should share.

Am currently designing a campaign where my heroes force the Mechanoids out of Maryland. I intend to have it last for about 6 months of game time.
I didnt think it realistic for any group of PC's to take on the crashed invaders and win, so I set it up for good role-playing instead of pure combat. I want the characters to discover the Mechanoid threat, get advice from Hagan Lonovich or somebody, make powerful allies with groups who have similar interests (maybe CS, maybe Splugorth) and devise a grand scheme to wipe them out. They started in a small mercenary company, and I have some ideas as to how they progress. I think they should get help from other mercenaries and maybe some kingdoms too.
They should use guerilla tactics to isolate and eliminate mechs one at a time. When most of the field units have been disabled I think the mother brain would pull the rest back to defend the base. This will lead to a great, climatic battle with all the allied forces finishing them off.
As with most of my campaigns I think BIG. I want to have a ton of scenarios leading up to the end. If we start off with a small group of level one PC's, I'd like most of them to be level 10 or so at the finale.
Last edited by Shorty Lickens on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Especially if you do like I do and allow vehicles with multiple forward facing weapons to fire them as a volley. I had a Wasp annihilate a Mark V APC in one volley. My PCs were not happy about that.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

I've never used the Mechanoids themselves much - but I've gotten a ton of mileage out of the Thinmen and Runts. Those are just awesome minions.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

mechanoids vs robotech...not pretty...the first time the RT guys encounter them it was a sad sad day...for them...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Damian Magecraft wrote:mechanoids vs robotech...not pretty...the first time the RT guys encounter them it was a sad sad day...for them...

That's why you send them after the Invid and other Robotech villain races. By the time they're all done hammering each other, then it'll be a good day for the REF folk.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Jesterzzn wrote:
Jockitch74 wrote:I used them in a Macross 2 campaign, with all the players playing Zentranor Meltran. Wasps are pretty nasty with those auto-dodges, but mind you...so can a fully loaded Zentran battle pod with its 72 missile :D
That's a great idea. Mechys would be the perfect villain for the stagnant Robotech campaign.

Funny I plan on using Mechanoids in my Robotech game.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Damian Magecraft wrote:mechanoids vs robotech...not pretty...the first time the RT guys encounter them it was a sad sad day...for them...

Say what! The first time was with me and you left them as SDC and then we never did get them up to MDC.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Janus wrote:

Say what! The first time was with me and you left them as SDC and then we never did get them up to MDC.

actually janus your group was the second i did that to...
my first group was in conneticut
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Janus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Janus »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Janus wrote:

Oh they must be the group that sucked as I remeber we rocked.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Janus wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Janus wrote:

of course you guys rocked...you never got to the "mechanoid upgrade" storyline...
Janus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Janus »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Janus wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Janus wrote:

of course you guys rocked...you never got to the "mechanoid upgrade" storyline...

Nah, my group rocked because they had me.

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Re: My current Campaign

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Tamaranis wrote:
Shorty Lickens wrote:This will lead to a great, climatic battle with all the allied forces finishing them off.

I laughed when I read this, because it made me think of CS and Splugorth allied forces who didn't exactly know they were allied. A sort of thing where the PCs swing it so multiple parties attack the ship at the same time and then just as victorious shouts and celebration begins the deadboys realize about 2/3rds of the allied forces are horrible, inhuman monsters, and everything fall silent.

The silence is the broken by someone loudly saying, "Ooh... awkward."

Not really. I didnt think it possible for my PC's to ally EVERYONE. They would have to role-play and maybe some would help them and some would not.
Actually, if they did get too many different allies that could lead to serious problems before, during or after the big battle.

DUDE! You just opened up a butt-load of new campaign possibilities. This could lead to a new campaign of epic proportions! Their desperation to find help with the Mechanoids could lead to a rifts-style World War.

My friend you did exactly what Kevin said to do in the Adventure Guide.
Think BIG.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Hannibal
Explorer

Unread post by Hannibal »

Well, I just finished running my group through a mechanoid campaign, replete with lots of refugees and carnage. The campaign lasted about 7-8 adventures all told. Ultimately, after working up knocking off some of the recon elements, I had them (with more NPCs than I've ever run before) knock of the main Mech R&D team. They also participated in a climatic battle on the side of a beleaguered Coalition unit, a couple Kittani Equestrians, and even a Hagan robot, holding off and finally destroying the main mechanoid spider fortress and accompanying mechs. I have to give credit, they came up with a really inventive way to deal with the walker that I was not expecting.

All told, 3 characters were killed... rather, 2 fell into coma but their natural regenerative MDC power saved them. One was killed outright, but we'll see what happens on the resurrection front....

I enjoyed the campaign, my players are getting pretty powerful and it was a good way to challenge them combatively. My first Rifts campaign ever that I played in back in '93 was against the Mechs, so it was good to come back to them after all this time :)

And yes, Wasps were my favorite to throw against the players, followed by a good missile-toting Brute....
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Hannibal wrote:And yes, Wasps were my favorite to throw against the players, followed by a good missile-toting Brute....

Yeah, Wasps have always been my favorite, although the Exterminator is coming in close second. Especially with their special Frag Mini-missiles that do 5D6 over a 20 foot radius each. Doesn't do a lot of damage, but a spread of 6 covers a 120 foot area.

Yeah, I know, it's only supposed to be 20 feet total, not each, but using each is so much more fun. :lol:
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

Yes,In Robotech and in some of my Rifts settings.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Haven't for a while..but that's due to me (stupidly) waiting for KS to get off his (cenosred) and writ ethe next gen Mechanoid book.
My bad... have to work out where to brin them back into the narrative. :? :eek: :P
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Maybe ,In the next year or teo in a sourcebook or RIFTER.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sounds great.I hope in the new sourcebook #1 reprint it will have them as well.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

We can hope and the new MECHANOID SPACE might be put back as well!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Someone said they used the Mechanoids in HU2 and wil post conversion notes at some point. I think it was Baron of chaos but cannot remember(too lazy to go back and look up name of thread). He said he had used them in a Century City campaign.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

That would be a deadly campaign !
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Princedarkstorm wrote:That would be a deadly campaign !

It would.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It shouldn't take much work to run the old Mechanoid Trilogy version in HU. I've used the basic campaign from SB2, as well as using Runts and Thinmen to rile up the Kittani in Atlantis.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

That sound very good idea for a plot line.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It is straight out of the books.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Cool.
mastermesh
Wanderer

Re: Anyone use Mechanoids in their games?

Unread post by mastermesh »

always interesting to have a group of PCs end up getting rifted to the Mechanoid homeworld on occassion... lots of brains crawling around, some of which are not in robot suits - easy to squish.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Been using them in the Three Galaxy and Manhunter verses .Of late GRINNING EVIL .
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

Hrmmm. Using them as an SDC thing from the origional Books.

What if the Atorians go after them and most certainly bite off more than they can chew???? :D Heheh, Let theee imagination run with it. :)
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

FreelancerMar wrote:Hrmmm. Using them as an SDC thing from the origional Books.

What if the Atorians go after them and most certainly bite off more than they can chew???? :D Heheh, Let theee imagination run with it. :)

:badbad: I pity the foolish Atorians!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I love the Atorians and think they could pull it off. I seem to recall reading something about them utilizing anti-matter weapons? Could be epic though. How do I get in on that game? :D
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yeah they are one of my favorites as well !
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Hahaha... I use them as much as I use my Fleets of the Three Galaxies book.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Besides the classic SB2, I intend to break them out once my games reach the point that I unleash the Minion War. I'm looking at going for the fully snowballed worst case scenario of multiversal armagedon with all those niggling problems around the multiverse going for the Oh Sh- button. Like Hel using the chaos to complete her plans..
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
chef1
D-Bee

Unread post by chef1 »

I would love put the mechanoids in my choas earth campaign :bandit:

Return to “The Mechanoids®”