Building Mechanoids

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Building Mechanoids

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Hagan Lonovich wrote:Would it be possible for someone to take control of a mechanoid base and use it to create new mechanoids, like beings inside of the metal bodies without the powers or mechanoid natural instincts, like to hate humans and so forth.

Short Answer: No.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Hagan Lonovich wrote:why not? what is it about their cloning technique that makes that so? couldnt you alter the dna or something to change that? or change its creation. nature vs nurture type thing

It's theoretically possible, it's just that nobody in the Megaverse has the necessary level of tech.
Except, maybe Gene Splicer.

More than that, if you managed to remove the mechanoids' powers, I'm pretty sure they couldn't use their suits anymore; that they interact with them psychically.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Hagan Lonovich wrote:what about converting the brute, wasp, octopus etc, to more of a borg, putting humanoid full conversions into those bodies instead of the cloned creature.

Hm.
You might be able to do something like that.
I might nerf the capabilities though.
Certainly keep in mind the penalties that human pilots receive (IIRC, insanities) for working with nonhumanoid bodies.

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Short answer: heck yeah! :)

Of course, it would be nigh-impossible since most Mechanoid tech is psionically controlled so you would need people who could interface with machinery. Also, much of the cloning / building / DNA training process is dealt with by Brain Pools which are living Mechanoids who won't be easy to control.

Recreating robotic mockmen should not be a problem for any society capable of advanced robotics. Of course, there would be hidden failsafes in the designs so woe be those who dare turn the Mechanoids toys against them.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

It'd be possible but rather risky, and the people doing it would have to be some pretty high-tech folks who are dab hands at genetic engineering and who've used their scientific expertise to figure out the scientific principles behind how psionics work. Remember, Mechanoid organisms are genetically engineered to consistently have the same body type (with the nervous system and physiology tailor-made to be integrated with a bionic body), the same basic personality, and the same narrow range of psychic powers. And the bionic bodies are designed to be operated as much by psychic control as any physical connection to the organism's nervous system.

Being good enough at all that to just copy the Mechanoids would be a tall order, even if they generously left the proper equipment and instructions. Being good enough at it to engineer entirely new organisms with different personalities would require a society that's every bit as advanced as the Mechanoids themselves.

Although as others have said, building cyborgs, androids, or vehicles that just look an awful lot like Mechanoids on the outside wouldn't be too tricky.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

You have to remember that according to the books, Mechanoids are just really advanced full conversion borgs. They are NOT robot pilots or robots with transferred intelligence.
In my campaign they are exactly full conversion borgs. There is none of this "hopping out and running around" nonsense. They get pulled out of their metal bodies, they are already dead.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

According to the Mechanoid OSM They are indeed Cyborgs and NOT Piloted robot's which is 1 of the reasons why their bonuses are so high.
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Then again, perhaps it was a secret government project to create the ultimate, weaponized full-cyborg conversion that led the the abduction of meta-humans with the Mechano-Link ability, the subsequent bonding of those individuals to insectoform bodies, and the escape of those cyborgs through a top secret time travel experiment that led to the creation of the Mechanoid species in the first place. You never really know.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer
Comment: You are the greatest project you will ever work on... never give up.

Unread post by Capt. Meschievitz »

Well I thought that same thing about the Mechanoids being cyborgs, and that if you made human bio-pods you could make interfaces with the nervous systems thus making interchangeable bodies. I think that if you could have a force strong enough to gain control of the brain pool and so forth then yeah go for it.

An Example is (Yes I know it is Rifts but...) the A.R.C.H.I.E 3oz scenario where they think of the intelligence as an ally but could be actually able to steal the technology of the creation of the mechanoids could be done however the powerplants might not want to be duplicated... Something you might want to keep you know thee odd sun or two.

could work both ways too..

just how you want to play.

first post in 5 years this forum.
after 20 odd years of the same character time has come......
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

A.R.C.H.I.E. 3oz is fully capable to constructing, fabricating, and manufacturing the mechanical bodies and the robots that the mechanoids themselves use.

What A.R.C.H.I.E. lacks is the Medical and Genetic knowledge to create full blown Mechanoids.. This is something that nobody besides the Mechanoids themselves know.

Also, No ammount of persuasion can force a mechanoid into giving up that sort of information. Espically not to a Hated Humanoid.
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer

FreelancerMar wrote:A.R.C.H.I.E. 3oz is fully capable to constructing, fabricating, and manufacturing the mechanical bodies and the robots that the mechanoids themselves use.

What A.R.C.H.I.E. lacks is the Medical and Genetic knowledge to create full blown Mechanoids.. This is something that nobody besides the Mechanoids themselves know.

Also, No ammount of persuasion can force a mechanoid into giving up that sort of information. Espically not to a Hated Humanoid.

Correct on some levels however A.R.C.H.I.E was considered an "kindred spirit" in the scenario... so he could use these things but then again its upto the GM in the campaign.
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

It also says that he/it has no desire to wipr out humanoids because he wants to rule over them. and he/it definately does not want anything bad to Happen to Hagan who is his/it's friend.

The Only reason Archie is considered a Kindred spirit is because he is A) not a humanoid and B) has a history similar to their own. Also the feelings are not mutual on archie's side of things.
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer

It also says that he/it has no desire to wipr out humanoids because he wants to rule over them. and he/it definately does not want anything bad to Happen to Hagan who is his/it's friend.

Yes correct it also states that mechanoids could also sway ARCHIE into their way of thinking. And also ARCHIE will have to "act" friendly towards the noids to keep them away from Hagan and the other plans it has in place to destroy the noids. either way the mechanoids could trust ARCHIE to a point to make more rudimentary units like runt and thinmen, even that of the wasp and so forth thus opening the design catalog for an alternate build of such units built by the Aberdeen factory.

The Only reason Archie is considered a Kindred spirit is because he is A) not a humanoid and B) has a history similar to their own. Also the feelings are not mutual on archie's side of things.

Very true. which is why it makes it plausible to field different builds of Mechnoid "Bodies" made by archie if you so desire. again it is upto the GM and scenario/story that they want to tell...
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

hehe This is getting good. :D
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer

What I should do is post up what happened in the campaign that I ran a fare few years back that had the Mechanoids and AbM Mechanoids face off with ARCHIE leaching info off the brain pool, basically then having a Human-Dbee settlement arrive on his doorstep after the final battle. Lead to in my campaign human bio-pod powered Brutes and wasps and so forth...

Return to “The Mechanoids®”