Are there any updates on the rifts movie?

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maryann
Adventurer

Re: Are there any updates on the rifts movie?

Unread post by Maryann »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:I would be SHOCKED if it came to fruition at this point.

Well Josh, get your Nitro pills ready cause, I wouldn't be shocked at all, there is movement, but unfortunately because of the parties involved until JB films makes their announcements about the project Palladium can't say much...
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

LDMcFear™
Explorer

Unread post by LDMcFear™ »

Logan the Defiant wrote:What are you all talking about? There's already been a Rifts movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0819843/

Ha Ha! That's Awesome, lol :D
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

There's some news but Kevin doesn't know if he can say.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

So have there ever been any updates on the Rifts movie beyond "Bruckheimer's decided to retain the option for a while longer"? Because there's been nary a peep of official news anywhere on the internet since the deal was first announced, or any followup on what the original creative team were supposed to be doing, or any indication that the Rifts movie is anything more than one of various nifty ideas that Bruckheimer's keeping for a rainy day.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

Rallan wrote:So have there ever been any updates on the Rifts movie beyond "Bruckheimer's decided to retain the option for a while longer"? Because there's been nary a peep of official news anywhere on the internet since the deal was first announced, or any followup on what the original creative team were supposed to be doing, or any indication that the Rifts movie is anything more than one of various nifty ideas that Bruckheimer's keeping for a rainy day.

The guy that wrote dodge ball (who's also been hired recently to do 3 other movies in production/direction roles) is writing the movie. It is actually the movie he dreamed to write and he's an old RP vet. He was writting away last I heard. Email him and show your support, he's actually a really nice guy.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Dodgeball?!!! Sheesh, that's like getting the guy who did "Meet the Feebles" to make your epic fantasy :p
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Overlord Rikonius wrote:Dodgeball?!!! Sheesh, that's like getting the guy who did "Meet the Feebles" to make your epic fantasy :p

Not at all. Keep in mind for example that it was George Lucas did such crap fests as HOWARD THE DUCK!

Don't judge a director or writter by one movie.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

Prince Artemis wrote:
Overlord Rikonius wrote:Dodgeball?!!! Sheesh, that's like getting the guy who did "Meet the Feebles" to make your epic fantasy :p

Not at all. Keep in mind for example that it was George Lucas did such crap fests as HOWARD THE DUCK!

:oops: i liked howard the duck :oops:
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:

:oops: i liked howard the duck :oops:

Look up on youtube 'The Nostalgia Critic Howard the Duck' to find my view of the movie.....and no, I'm not the Nostalgia critic, he's just saying everything I want to.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

niiiiiice. i saw what you did there :mrgreen:

'we're not your average, ordinary people...'
Overlord Rikonius
Hero

t0m wrote:

'we're not your average, ordinary people...'

Hehe, well, let's not lord it over the others, even though my quip does have a nice ring to it. :)
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

t0m wrote:

I'm not sure if Artemis saw though :)
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Kevin just announced in the latest press release that JB Films has extended their option for another year :) Things are looking good!
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly

Silas
D-Bee
Comment: Never underestimate a player who likes options.

Unread post by Silas »

I'm a bit concerned, as I saw that writer's website and it says he's on strike. :-?
Rogue Scholar, speaking over the grave of a black marketeer: "In the Great House and in the House of Fire, on that Great Day when all the days and years are numbered, oh let my name be given back to me."
Juicer, having killed said black marketeer: Oh %@$# this! His name is Dirtnap! Can we go now?!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Silas wrote:I'm a bit concerned, as I saw that writer's website and it says he's on strike. :-?

He just hasn't updated his web site in a looooonngg time :)

Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

I have reason to believe that Michael Bay is involved as well.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

CS Special Forces wrote:
Crucible wrote:I have reason to believe that Michael Bay is involved as well.

:-(

What?
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Silas
D-Bee

Unread post by Silas »

I most sincerely hope you are making a joke.

If that son-of-a-Bay touches or even comes near the RIFTS movie, KS should sue him for attempted vandalism of his property. A Bay-wrecked RIFTS movie would be worse than no RIFTS movie at all.
Rogue Scholar, speaking over the grave of a black marketeer: "In the Great House and in the House of Fire, on that Great Day when all the days and years are numbered, oh let my name be given back to me."
Juicer, having killed said black marketeer: Oh %@$# this! His name is Dirtnap! Can we go now?!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

I would love to see Michael Bay involved with this project. We'll just wait and see what Rawson comes up with and who JB Films tags as the perfect director. I have faith, it will happen...

Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Rifter6 wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:The guy that wrote dodge ball (who's also been hired recently to do 3 other movies in production/direction roles) is writing the movie. It is actually the movie he dreamed to write and he's an old RP vet. He was writting away last I heard. Email him and show your support, he's actually a really nice guy.

E-mail him?! how do you suggest we e-mail him? It never occured to me to do so or that it would 1) be made public (the e-mail that is) and 2) that an e-mail from some stranger would be anything but "delete" or "spam boxed".

-Rifter6

IDMB and Google are your friends :) That's how I found him.
Silas
D-Bee

Unread post by Silas »

How can anybody, having seen his recent "movies", ever think Michael Bay could do a RIFTS movie justice? I mean come on, the man is all about SFX and sweaty cleavage. No real acting involved. His idea of a great movie would be two hours of exploding sweaty cleavages and running, screaming people with close-ups or slo-mo gymkata flips done by the lame "star". :badbad:

The RIFTS movie would require someone with actual talent who would want to see the film reflect the actual content of the books, instead of what the director thinks the books should have. That rules Bay out right there. He'd have a love interest for the main character with exposed cleavage within the first ten minutes.

*hires a hitman to remove the stain known as Michael Bay from any future equation*
Silas
D-Bee

Unread post by Silas »

I saw an interview with Rawsom Marshall Thurman, talking about his latest movie Mysteries Of Pittsburgh and the novel it was adapted from. Here's an outtake:

RMT: Thanks, I’m glad you liked it. I worked very hard on the script and I’m proud of the result. Scene to scene, sequence to sequence, the script differs widely from the novel. The script isn’t, nor will the resultant film be, the novel. They’re wholly different forms. I think what remains in the script is a trueness to the tone and theme of the novel which, in my opinion, is what the best adaptations are anyway.

Am I the only one who is now a little nervous about him writing for the RIFTS movie?
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Silas wrote:I saw an interview with Rawsom Marshall Thurman, talking about his latest movie Mysteries Of Pittsburgh and the novel it was adapted from. Here's an outtake:

RMT: Thanks, I’m glad you liked it. I worked very hard on the script and I’m proud of the result. Scene to scene, sequence to sequence, the script differs widely from the novel. The script isn’t, nor will the resultant film be, the novel. They’re wholly different forms. I think what remains in the script is a trueness to the tone and theme of the novel which, in my opinion, is what the best adaptations are anyway.

Am I the only one who is now a little nervous about him writing for the RIFTS movie?

Nope not at all, I have faith, Rawson knows the material and he knows what direction JB Films want to go.

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Maryann wrote:
Silas wrote:I saw an interview with Rawsom Marshall Thurman, talking about his latest movie Mysteries Of Pittsburgh and the novel it was adapted from. Here's an outtake:

Nope not at all, I have faith, Rawson knows the material and he knows what direction JB Films want to go.
I agree with Maryann.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Oh? So you want the rifts movie to be completely accurate to the game? Are you really sure about that?

Opening scene: a battle between a group of CS and a dragon and a few mages. The dragon breathes fire on the grunt as the grunt sudden stops "Wait, hold it. Dragon fire doesn't have that kind of range" "Sure it does, I have level 10 dragon hand to hand!" replies the dragon "But I have level 8 hand to hand commando, I should at least get an auto dodge!"

Do I need to continue :P
Overlord Rikonius
Hero

Silas wrote:How can anybody, having seen his recent "movies", ever think Michael Bay could do a RIFTS movie justice? I mean come on, the man is all about SFX and sweaty cleavage. No real acting involved. His idea of a great movie would be two hours of exploding sweaty cleavages and running, screaming people with close-ups or slo-mo gymkata flips done by the lame "star". :badbad:

Sounds awesome! :p
The RIFTS movie would require someone with actual talent who would want to see the film reflect the actual content of the books, instead of what the director thinks the books should have. That rules Bay out right there. He'd have a love interest for the main character with exposed cleavage within the first ten minutes.

Just so long as it's not Erin Tarn. We don't need sweaty exposed old-lady cleavage.
*hires a hitman to remove the stain known as Michael Bay from any future equation*

*Watches that hitman turn around and sell the rights for the story of a hitman trying to kill Michael Bay to Michael Bay*

Return to “Rifts® Movie”