Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:00 am

Champion

TheyCallMeTrevor wrote:
Last word out was the movie has a writer who is doing a draft. Knowing writers who work on scripts, I can tell you this process usually takes a while, during which you will not hear much. Most movies have dozens of drafts as it takes a while for everyone to settle on the one they like, then fine tune it. My guess is you won't hear much till this summer.

Plus the writers strike delayed this process too I'd wager.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:22 pm

D-Bee

So how do we get involved with this???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:23 am

Palladin

gsalas wrote:
So how do we get involved with this???

Involved with what ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:48 am

D-Bee

The movie of corse. I want in. ;^)

Hell, i even got a girl who'll try out for a part that i did some composits of on another post.

Referance to mentioned post:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259 ... Cyborg.jpg

its good to dream. =)

-Gabe-

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:25 am

Champion

I'd imagine that a studio as big as Jerry Bruckheimers would only work with people with experience in movies. Unionized extras, new actors with agents known in the industry, etc. People that know what is acceptable and how things are run on a set. Not people who will be stalking the big name actors for autographs, etc.

So short answer, you don't, unless you already have an "in" with the industry, or can get a job with some company that would work on the project, like a special effects studio.

I'm not so sure on the extras bit, but they might use local population for that. So if you're lucky enough to live where they end up filming on location, rather than a set, then you might get in as an extra. However, a movie like Rifts will probably have so much green screen filming that it'll all be on a set. The only filming on location would be a film crew to get background shots to replace the green screen. No local extras needed there.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:11 am

D-Bee

your right, thats why its good to dream

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Dark Lord Evisceratix O'Kittensquisher
LostOne wrote:
TheyCallMeTrevor wrote:
Last word out was the movie has a writer who is doing a draft. Knowing writers who work on scripts, I can tell you this process usually takes a while, during which you will not hear much. Most movies have dozens of drafts as it takes a while for everyone to settle on the one they like, then fine tune it. My guess is you won't hear much till this summer.

Plus the writers strike delayed this process too I'd wager.

The new writer was suppose to start the script after the strike.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Champion

ash_wednesday wrote:

So hopefully he/she is neck deep in quality script drafting.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:53 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Dark Lord Evisceratix O'Kittensquisher
LostOne wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:

Well since it's been awhile since the strike ended, I should hope so....

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:48 pm

D-Bee

ash_wednesday wrote:
LostOne wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:

He probably has started it. Even So, I wouldn't expect that draft to be done until early summer. The people I know who do script writing take about 1 to 2 months to work out a script the length necessary for a movie. And as I said, this will be just one draft of many.

When it's this early in the project, you have to be patient.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Palladin

TheyCallMeTrevor wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:
LostOne wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:

He probably has started it. Even So, I wouldn't expect that draft to be done until early summer. The people I know who do script writing take about 1 to 2 months to work out a script the length necessary for a movie. And as I said, this will be just one draft of many.

When it's this early in the project, you have to be patient.

As long as there is a Juicer and or a Crazy in it I'm all good . I wouldent mind see'ing inside the hollowed walls of Chi-Town or even the mean streets of Atlantis even either :P

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Lenwen wrote:
Seriously does anyone know anything or heard anything about this future Blockbuster ?

I know a little bit of good news, but I can't share it due to the NDA. I would recommend a quick PM to Alex or Kev to see if one will write a murmur or put the latest in the next press release. Just do so politely, and only once (if at all). They are still neck deep in book production, so they might not have the time to address it right this second. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:41 am

Champion

Warwolf wrote:
I know a little bit of good news, but I can't share it due to the NDA.
:frazz:
I hate you. Just knowing that there is something to know that is protected by NDA...you suck for peaking my curiosity. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:17 pm

LostOne wrote:
I hate you. Just knowing that there is something to know that is protected by NDA...you suck for peaking my curiosity. :cry:

Well here you go then:

Kevin wrote:
There is none that I’m aware of.

Wait, what? :eek:

Kevin wrote:
Rawson Thurber, the screenwriter, and I have exchanged a number of emails, I sent him a stack of Rifts books he requested for research purposes (no, I’m not going to tell you which titles), and that’s about it for the present. I love his enthusiasm and commitment to the project, and I’m excited about what he might turn out, but no news on that front.

Except that I considered it good news to hear that he and Kev had been in contact and how excited he was to be working on the project. I figured you all would like to hear that. :)

Perhaps it isn't much (but I did say a "little bit"), but I thought it was awesome anyway. :?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:01 am

Champion

Warwolf wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Rawson Thurber, the screenwriter, and I have exchanged a number of emails, I sent him a stack of Rifts books he requested for research purposes (no, I’m not going to tell you which titles), and that’s about it for the present. I love his enthusiasm and commitment to the project, and I’m excited about what he might turn out, but no news on that front.

Except that I considered it good news to hear that he and Kev had been in contact and how excited he was to be working on the project. I figured you all would like to hear that. :)

That is good that he's excited about it. Although ideally it would have been nice if the screenwriter had been previously familiar with the setting due to already being a fan. :)

But beggars can't be choosers, and we fans have been begging to see Rifts on the big screen for a long time.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:55 pm

LostOne wrote:
That is good that he's excited about it. Although ideally it would have been nice if the screenwriter had been previously familiar with the setting due to already being a fan. :)

But beggars can't be choosers, and we fans have been begging to see Rifts on the big screen for a long time.

Huh? He is a long-time fan. He's even GMed Rifts. :)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 am

Champion

Warwolf wrote:
Huh? He is a long-time fan. He's even GMed Rifts. :)

Sorry, I didn't get that impression from your previous post.

Glad to hear it!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 pm

LostOne wrote:
Sorry, I didn't get that impression from your previous post.

Glad to hear it!

My apologies, I thought you'd caught the previous info where Kev and Alex mentioned that he had played Rifts in high school or middle school (can't remember which). But yeah, he has prior experience with Rifts. :)

Post subject: Re: Rifts Movie Talk
Unread postPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:03 pm

Champion

Sorry, my memory sucks, I don't necessarily remember the entirety of a thread that was started nearly 5 years ago. :fool:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:03 am

Dungeon Crawler

I just hope the Rifts movie doesn't turn out to be as lame and cheesy as the first d&d movie was... Of course, Rifts is so awesome they would have to try really hard to screw it up! :)

People who reply with only *bump* in the message should be shot!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:42 pm

D-Bee

Comment: Dive into the sea, or stay away.
(Nizar Qabbani)
I agree Arcanus, as far as a style of movie i would like to see a cross between Lord of the rings, and Transformers. The vintage look embracing the tech world. Or something to that nature.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Champion

Location: Houstown on weekends, in my Super Samas on weekdays
What's the latest thing Kevin has said about this project and where it's at??

Magic and the acceptance of the monstrous, alien, and inhuman is the poison that eats away at our people.

WE ARE HUMAN! WE ARE THE PEOPLE OF EARTH! THIS IS OUR WORLD! OURS ALONE!"

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:58 am

D-Bee

Apparently the people over at icv2 spoke with Kevin at GenCon. Apparently Kevin mentioned that a new draft is being written and a decision to go ahead or not will be made soon. Too bad it wasn't mentioned in the GenCon murmers as it would have been nice to hear.

Relevant Links:

http://www.icv2.com/index.php

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13176.html

:D

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:12 pm

D-Bee

You know I completely forget what the hell I was gonna say!?!....
Oh, Yeah. Are you gonna have the movie (being, Kevin's love of them) about the Coalition? Cuz that would probably be the easiest way of introducing the Mega-Verse to the non-gaming world. Other than that, congrats, and I look forward to watching the damn thing. :o :crane:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:56 am

Champion

I really think it should *not* be about the CS, as least not the CS as good guys.

If so, it just turns into yet another stereotypical grunts vs the bugs/demons type movie.

However, if it's about exploring the conflict from a point of view that displays the d-bees and psychics and mages as intelligent emotional beings trying to escape persecution by the CS, it seems like it could have more depth and not just be seen as another Starship Troopers.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:29 pm

Adventurer

Naturally, if the protagonists are in the CS, there would have to be a "change of heart" somewhere in there.
Like the classic situation of a CS grunt being stuck in a situation where they see the world beyond the CS propaganda, and realizing that "D-bees and mages can be good, too".

... then he'll feel bad as he's blowing them away :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:09 pm

D-Bee

Its been 9 years uhm when is this thing happening ?
Thom wrote:
Rifts® Movie Talk
From Kevin Siembieda, President of Palladium Books
Hey, its been fun reading everyone’s comments, questions, suggestions and thoughts about the Rifts® Movie. Keep ‘em coming. These are exciting times for all of at Palladium Books

Boy you guys and gals, don’t know how glad we are to be able to announce Palladium has finally nailed down the Rifts® Movie deal. It was killing us to keeping it all quiet. Only a handful of folks affiliated with Palladium were in the loop, including Steve "Conan" Trustrum, Shawn "Holy Oak" Hall, Mike "Midnght" Hawthorne, Ramon Perez, Wayne Breaux, Scott Johnson, Bill Coffin, and a few others. Thanks to everyone who bit their tongue and kept it quiet.

There was much celebrating at the Palladium offices when we finally signed the deal. A live action blockbuster movie by industry giants like Jerry Bruckheimer and Walt Disney Pictures is a dream come true. This won’t be a second rate, low budget affair. It means a big budget, the best distribution, top notch special effects and "A-List" director, actors, and quality all the way. From where we sit, it just doesn’t get better than this!

Since everyone who hears the news always has a ton of questions, I thought I’d try to answer a few of the most common ones, though the answers aren’t likely to be very satisfying at this time.

When does filming start and when is the movie going to be released?
Slow down. First, a script needs to be written, actors and a director signed, and pre-production begun. That all takes a little while even if Bruckheimer’s people should jumped on the movie project immediately. Second, even if I could shed some light on these questions, I can’t right now, sorry. You know Hollywood and how that secrecy thing goes. Right now, its mum’s the word.

Who will be acting in it? Who’s directing?
As noted in the prior question, I’m not at liberty to divulge who Jerry Bruckheimer Films is talking to or what their plans are at this time. That secrecy thing again. But as soon as we can spill our guts, you’ll see it in the pages of The Rifter® first, and online, here, second. The Rifter® will be your inside track to the Rifts Movie, even before we post online (at least for most things).

How does all this affect Palladium Books?
Only in the most positive ways. It’s fun, exciting, and should propel Rifts® and Palladium Books firmly into the mainstream. Yes, that’s likely to mean Rifts® toys, model kits, collectible cards, comic books, novels and a whole lot more. It also means Palladium will probably grow and get us to try some new and different things.

In the short term, signing the option for a Rifts® Movie doesn’t have much immediate impact on business. Except for the excitement, anticipation and things boiling under the surface that we can’t yet reveal, it’s pretty much business as usual here at the Palladium offices. Big bucks, mass market licenses and merchandising, as well as the release of the film, are all a few years down the road. Until the movie goes into pre-production and ancillary merchandising deals are announced, there won’t be too much in the way of publicity. As you moviegoers know, most of the hype and merchandise doesn’t start making the news or hitting store shelves until about six months before the movie is released. Personally, we’re hoping Rifts® is destined to hit the silver screen as a blockbuster, science fiction movie that will shake the very foundations of cinema and pop culture.

How much control/approval does Kevin Siembieda have?
On the film, minimal (reasonable consultation). Though I can say that the Bruckheimer folks seem to have a good feel for Rifts® and plan to do a serious science fiction film.

As for merchandise based on the Rifts® Role-Playing Game we have complete control and approval.

Will Palladium Books and/or Kevin Siembieda be moving to Hollywood?
I’ve been told never to say never, but not likely. I love Michigan. This is where all my friends and family reside, and I’ve been to L.A. on several occasions and it’s not my kind of town (now, New York City on the other hand. . . ). Besides, Hollywood doesn’t want me, they want some of my ideas. So while I may be making jaunts to the West Coast from time to time, there’s no reason for me to live there.

Besides (and I’ve already been told by a zillion folks that I’m crazy for saying this), I’m not a Hollywood kinda guy - I love doing role-playing games. That’s what I like to do more than anything in the world. Creating new worlds and strange wonders. While I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at writing novels, doing comic books or even a screenplay, gaming and publishing are in my blood. It’s what I do, and what I expect to continue to do for decades to come. If that makes me crazy (and you wouldn’t be the first to make that accusation), then I’m crazy!

That’s it for now on the movie. When we can say more, we’ll let ya know.

- Kevin Siembieda, 2003

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:14 am

Champion

Torngesis wrote:

Nine years? Really? Cuz in my world it's 2009 and the post you quoted is 2003.

Just gotta be patient, the rights are still optioned, so there is still hope.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:34 pm

Palladin

LostOne wrote:
Torngesis wrote:

It would still be nice to at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:49 am

Adventurer

Alpha 11 wrote:
LostOne wrote:
Torngesis wrote:

It actually took more than 10 years for lord of the rings to see the light of day and as long as JB Films still wants to do this I still hold out hope that it will happen soon.

Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:39 am

D-Bee

Maryann wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:
LostOne wrote:
Torngesis wrote:

It actually took more than 10 years for lord of the rings to see the light of day and as long as JB Films still wants to do this I still hold out hope that it will happen soon.

Same here, but some update information about this movie would be nice... Unless there isn't.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 am

Hero

Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.
Twinkiman89 wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:
LostOne wrote:
Torngesis wrote:

Same here, but some update information about this movie would be nice... Unless there isn't.

I sure hope that we will hear something positive in the not too distant future. :bandit:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 am

Champion

The fact that we're not hearing anything means two things to me:

Either

1. nothing is happening so there is nothing to report.

or hopefully:

2. Big things are happening, but they're being very quiet to avoid breaching a non-disclosure agreement.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Wanderer

LostOne wrote:

Either

or hopefully:

2. Big things are happening, but they're being very quiet to avoid breaching a non-disclosure agreement.

Or,
3. Small things are happening, slowly. These small things may or may not result (directly, or indirectly) in a Rifts feature film being produced. Development, especially in a big budget movie with the blockbuster potential Rifts has, can take a dozen writers a decade to write. When there's news worth hearing, we'll hear it. Waiting on the edge of your seat for every little bit of news will only make your backside sore.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Hero

Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.
Thoughtful1 wrote:
LostOne wrote:

Either

or hopefully:

Or,
3. Small things are happening, slowly. These small things may or may not result (directly, or indirectly) in a Rifts feature film being produced. Development, especially in a big budget movie with the blockbuster potential Rifts has, can take a dozen writers a decade to write. When there's news worth hearing, we'll hear it. Waiting on the edge of your seat for every little bit of news will only make your backside sore.

Yep!!! :ok:

Keep the Faith all. ;)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:37 pm

D-Bee

Comment: Never underestimate a player who likes options.
My backside is sore already from waiting on the egde of my seat for other movies to come out. The long-rumored Marshal Law movie went totally bust after the Watchmen release. Critics can be so ignorant sometimes. Then there's the extra-long wait for the LFG animated movie, which was supposed to come out in late 2008, and has had a few teasers already.

I'm crossing fingers, toes, and any other appendages I can in hopes this movie gets made, and made properly. The RIFTS movie could really shine if it took one small cue from the original Star Wars ideas: show views from the Coalition and the Dee-Bees, both. That would allow a POV from both sides, with neither being 100% evil or good. A more gritty and dynamic character type would make for a better antagonist and protagonist. Developed characters are easier to root for or against. How many people actually cheered when Kaiser Soze got away? I know I did. 8)

So we can only hope this writer decides to create well-rounded characters for his script, and doesn't focus on only action and special effects. Okay, so the movie wouldn't be RIFTS without SFX, but there still has to be cake with the frosting, so to speak. Just my two bits. :D

Rogue Scholar, speaking over the grave of a black marketeer: "In the Great House and in the House of Fire, on that Great Day when all the days and years are numbered, oh let my name be given back to me."
Juicer, having killed said black marketeer: Oh %@$# this! His name is Dirtnap! Can we go now?!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Wanderer

Silas wrote:
My backside is sore already from waiting on the egde of my seat for other movies to come out. The long-rumored Marshal Law movie went totally bust after the Watchmen release. Critics can be so ignorant sometimes. Then there's the extra-long wait for the LFG animated movie, which was supposed to come out in late 2008, and has had a few teasers already.

Exactly my point. Get excited about movies for which you've seen trailers, and which have release dates, because if a movie doesn't have that yet then it doesn't exist. At least not yet.

Silas wrote:
I'm crossing fingers, toes, and any other appendages I can in hopes this movie gets made, and made properly. The RIFTS movie could really shine if it took one small cue from the original Star Wars ideas: show views from the Coalition and the Dee-Bees, both. That would allow a POV from both sides, with neither being 100% evil or good. A more gritty and dynamic character type would make for a better antagonist and protagonist. Developed characters are easier to root for or against. How many people actually cheered when Kaiser Soze got away? I know I did. 8)

I agree completely here. Depth of character is an important quality in writing of any kind, although a little mystery can also be a good thing. Darth Vader had virtually no depth in Ep. IV, except that we knew he and Obi-Wan had a past.

Silas wrote:
So we can only hope this writer decides to create well-rounded characters for his script, and doesn't focus on only action and special effects. Okay, so the movie wouldn't be RIFTS without SFX, but there still has to be cake with the frosting, so to speak. Just my two bits. :D

Regardless of the script this writer is writing right now, what's really important in terms of figuring out what kind of movie RIFTS would be is the choice of director. After all, a script is never really finished even when the movie is being filmed. Nothing has or will be decided in terms of the creative direction of this movie until it gets a director. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:07 pm

D-Bee

Quote:
Regardless of the script this writer is writing right now, what's really important in terms of figuring out what kind of movie RIFTS would be is the choice of director. After all, a script is never really finished even when the movie is being filmed. Nothing has or will be decided in terms of the creative direction of this movie until it gets a director.

We can always hope for Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy movies), Peter Jackson (LOTR), or Zach Snyder (Watchmen).

Personally, I know how hard it can be to write something that is both interesting, and has great character development, having worked on three different novels for the past *mumble* years. Dialogue and character interaction are perhaps the most difficult aspects of writing, seeing as how you have to follow true to multiple character personalities, as well as any motivations and agendas. Add to that the need to keep the storyline moving at a decent pace, having enough depth and description to keep viewers/readers up to speed, and keeping an eye out for continuity, and you have a recipie for ulcers or hair loss.

I wish the current writer well, and sincerely hope he can put the real flavor of RIFTS into his final script.

But I'm still getting sore here on the edge of my seat. :mrgreen:

Rogue Scholar, speaking over the grave of a black marketeer: "In the Great House and in the House of Fire, on that Great Day when all the days and years are numbered, oh let my name be given back to me."
Juicer, having killed said black marketeer: Oh %@$# this! His name is Dirtnap! Can we go now?!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Wanderer

Silas wrote:
Guillermo Del Toro

I dunno. I haven't seen much by him except Hellboy.
Silas wrote:
Peter Jackson

Not so much. He's good and all but Rifts should feel grittier than the prettiness of Middle Earth and King Kong.
Silas wrote:
...Zac[k] Snyder

ABSOLUTELY NOT! NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS!
Silas wrote:
Personally, I know how hard it can be to write something that is both interesting, and has great character development, having worked on three different novels for the past *mumble* years. Dialogue and character interaction are perhaps the most difficult aspects of writing, seeing as how you have to follow true to multiple character personalities, as well as any motivations and agendas. Add to that the need to keep the storyline moving at a decent pace, having enough depth and description to keep viewers/readers up to speed, and keeping an eye out for continuity, and you have a recipie for ulcers or hair loss.

Dialogue and character interaction can have a lot to do with the actors who are cast in the role. So, I guess I'm a bit of a broken record, but much of this movie's 'feel' or creative vision will come after the screenplay is finished and a director is hired. If Jerry would just hurry up and call me, then we could get started already! :P

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:34 am

D-Bee

Guillermo Del Toro is slated to do Champions, Deadman, and Death: The High Cost Of Living. He directed Blade 2, as well as both Hellboy movies. If he can handle the painful reality of bringing the Death graphic novel to the big screen, he should be able to handle the grit of RIFTS.

Okay, I admit Peter Jackson might not be a great choice. While he could portray the grandeur of the sweeping plains and cityscapes dotting the RIFTS world, I doubt he could handle the dirtier aspects like the constant Darwinism and the viciousness inherent in much of the Coalition's purist propaganda.

Admittedly, Zack Snyder doesn't have a lot under his belt yet, and 300 was pretty surrealistic and cartoonish, but look at what he did with Watchmen. I see that movie as a vast improvement over his work with 300. I say give him another movie or two to see if he really is improving, then drop the critic hammer.

I really want to see this RIFTS movie before I drop dead, as zombies aren't appreciated in theaters.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:25 pm

Wanderer

Silas wrote:
Admittedly, Zack Snyder doesn't have a lot under his belt yet, and 300 was pretty surrealistic and cartoonish, but look at what he did with Watchmen. I see that movie as a vast improvement over his work with 300. I say give him another movie or two to see if he really is improving, then drop the critic hammer.

No. Just no. This is not the thread to discuss this, but the only things about Watchmen that were good were the ones Snyder didn't screw up from the comic. The costumes. The slow-fast motion. The unnecessary over-use of CGI. All Snyder's doing, and all bad choices. Watchmen should've looked and felt more like BSG or a Bourne movie (visceral, real, gritty), not like The Matrix 4. The whole point of the comic was that these were really just normal people. Watchmen didn't revolutionize comics because of how awesome the mars scenes were or anything like that. Comics always have been, and always will be, ridiculously sensationalist. Watchmen did exactly the opposite of that, and that's what made it so groundbreaking. So, how is it even remotely acceptable for Snyder to then direct a ridiculously sensational film adaptation?! He clearly is an idiot who should stick to something like car commercials or music videos. His movies look good, but he's not a storyteller. His movies are shallow. And that works for 300, which might as well have just been one long fight scene. But Watchmen is literature, and should have been treated as such.

Plus, I think whatshisname as Ozymandius might be the worst casting choice I've ever seen. EVER.

Zach Snyder was simply the wrong choice to direct that movie.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Champion

Well clearly everyone has their own opinion. But personally I thought Watchmen was a faithful translation of the graphic novel to movie. And yes, I have read it, recently before it came out in theaters. I honestly doubt any other director would have done a better version of the graphic novel.

Honestly I think he'd do a great job for a Rifts movie, if there was a top notch script, and he was a fan of the game.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:59 pm

D-Bee

I'm wading into this rather late in the game, but since no one has posted here since last November I figured I'd add my two cents.

Alex Proyas ("The Crow," "Dark City," "I, Robot") would be a perfect choice to direct a Rifts film. His visuals are memorable and he has an eye for unusual set pieces. Disregarding the script for "I, Robot," visually it was a winner.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:46 am

Wanderer

Keizer Ghidorah wrote:
Disregarding the script for "I, Robot," visually it was a winner.

I'm not so sure. I mean, I agree that the movie looked good, but the director of a film is responsible for the WHOLE film. A director isn't handed a script that he MUST follow. The director is the boss. The fact that I, Robot was a bad movie was the director's fault. It looked good. But it was a bad movie, overall, IMO.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 am

Champion

Thoughtful1 wrote:
A director isn't handed a script that he MUST follow. But it was a bad movie, overall, IMO.

That's not 100% true. Sometimes the studio/money comes in and requests/demands changes and the director has no choice but to cave to their demands. Often when that happens the general public probably has no idea.

I have no idea if that is what happened with I, Robot. But if it did, we might not have any hint of it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:26 am

Wanderer

LostOne wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:
A director isn't handed a script that he MUST follow. But it was a bad movie, overall, IMO.

That's not 100% true. Sometimes the studio/money comes in and requests/demands changes and the director has no choice but to cave to their demands. Often when that happens the general public probably has no idea.

I have no idea if that is what happened with I, Robot. But if it did, we might not have any hint of it.

You're right. However, the fact remains that good directors make good movies, studio/producer intervention or not. I don't remember much about The Crow, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen Dark City, but I, Robot was not a good movie.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:25 am

D-Bee

Keizer Ghidorah wrote:
I'm wading into this rather late in the game, but since no one has posted here since last November I figured I'd add my two cents.

Alex Proyas ("The Crow," "Dark City," "I, Robot") would be a perfect choice to direct a Rifts film. His visuals are memorable and he has an eye for unusual set pieces. Disregarding the script for "I, Robot," visually it was a winner.

would be a great choice. I, Robot was a bit of a stinker, but the direction was nice (that's why they give separate oscars for best director and best screenplay) but Dark City and the Crow were absolutely brilliant.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:49 am

D-Bee

T-Train wrote:
I, Robot was a bit of a stinker, but the direction was nice (that's why they give separate oscars for best director and best screenplay) but Dark City and the Crow were absolutely brilliant.

I agree wholeheartedly; The Crow and Dark City were both brilliant, which is why I own them on DVD. Proyas could very well bring the dark surrealism of a post-apocalyptic world overrun with magic and demonic forces to the big screen in a big way. My only concern would be a studio vetoing his choice of actors, as his choices in casting have, in the past, been nothing short of stellar. (Example: William Hurt as Inspector Bumstead, Richard O'Brien as Mr. Hand, and Kiefer Sutherland as Dr. Schreber in Dark City. Brilliant choices, IMO.)

I'm still on the edge of my seat waiting for this movie. Already had to replace the edge twice and my butt once. Please get this done, JB!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:42 am

Champion

Silas wrote:
I'm still on the edge of my seat waiting for this movie. Already had to replace the edge twice and my butt once. Please get this done, JB!

At this point I'd even take a semi-bad/rushed movie, as long as Uwe Boll isn't anywhere near it at any point in production. I just want to see the world and power armors and all that rendered beautifully, even if the story isn't the greatest.

Naturally I've love an epicly awesome movie all around with tons of rewatchability (I'm thinking Return of the Jedi or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade epic), but with how long this is taking, I'd rather have something than nothing at all.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:04 pm

D-Bee

Comment: Great art! I am a 3D modeler by hobby. plan to use the images as templates for my models. I will post them here.
LostOne wrote:
Silas wrote:

At this point I'd even take a semi-bad/rushed movie, as long as Uwe Boll isn't anywhere near it at any point in production. I just want to see the world and power armors and all that rendered beautifully, even if the story isn't the greatest.

Naturally I've love an epicly awesome movie all around with tons of rewatchability (I'm thinking Return of the Jedi or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade epic), but with how long this is taking, I'd rather have something than nothing at all.

WoW... this thread is so old its first thread is dried out and wrinkely. like my first copy of the rifts handbook. I'm hoping this movie is still in production or at least the ball is rolling. It would be nice to have an update on its status from the staff. :D