for a rifts movie to fully work...

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Re: for a rifts movie to fully work...

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

For a Rifts movie to work, they gotta actually work on it. And the writers have to acctually read teh freaking main book.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Injundon wrote:It would either need a billion dollar budget or be animated like Beowulf was. It would just have too huge a scope to fit into a special effects budget otherwise.

You could say the same thing about a movie set on Earth, if you want to assume that the film-makers are going to try to include everything on the planet.

This is why they generally narrow the scope of films to just one story, which only includes certain of the near infinite elements from the planet that the story is set on.

Get a good writer in there, and they could make a kickass film with nothing fancier than a few suits of Plastic Man and some Wilk's pistols.

It's not about trying to cram in everything in the main book, just for the eye-candy.
Or, at least, it shouldn't be
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
romanwarrior
D-Bee

Unread post by romanwarrior »

retnuh wrote:I was a huge fan of the novels, each one could be its own movie. Its truly a shame about the misprinting of the first book, but it was very much worth it to get through. Its been a few years since I've read them, but I recall them explaining the world of rifts in an approachable way, and touched on a wide variety of classes and settings.

Send all the novels, hopefully there's a fixed version of the first, and source books for everything they talk about = movie(s) I'd love to see.

I agree.. I think they should use a story with existing developed characters that the books offer. And the story line is already created for them, showing many aspects of the RIFTS world and the many types of people in it. It also goes into a deeper story (which would attract audiences) about how the mighty Coalition S&D unit can learn to live with/work with dimensional beings.

I also think RIFTS would make a good TV series too. Much like Stargate did. Lay down the base story line in a movie, and continue the adventures for years to come :D
"All right you primitive screwheads, listent up! Thiiiiiss is my BOOM-STICK!"
- ASH
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

romanwarrior wrote:
retnuh wrote:I was a huge fan of the novels, each one could be its own movie. Its truly a shame about the misprinting of the first book, but it was very much worth it to get through. Its been a few years since I've read them, but I recall them explaining the world of rifts in an approachable way, and touched on a wide variety of classes and settings.

Send all the novels, hopefully there's a fixed version of the first, and source books for everything they talk about = movie(s) I'd love to see.

I agree.. I think they should use a story with existing developed characters that the books offer. And the story line is already created for them, showing many aspects of the RIFTS world and the many types of people in it. It also goes into a deeper story (which would attract audiences) about how the mighty Coalition S&D unit can learn to live with/work with dimensional beings.

I also think RIFTS would make a good TV series too. Much like Stargate did. Lay down the base story line in a movie, and continue the adventures for years to come :D

A TV series, that I would not mind seeing.
thedrunk
Explorer
Comment: Friendly Fire™
"Combat With a Smile"
A Ensite Para-Military Corperation

Unread post by thedrunk »

amodernheathen wrote:I would love to see a script following Erin Tarn and some of her adventures. Honestly, I think she's the key to introducing people to Rifts, after all, she's the one who introduced all of us to that world.

Mabey a Erin tarn narratior??
interducing us to the world of Rift's as we watch the comming of the rift's. think that would be cool. a GB shot rings out, news feeds of hostility, then planets aligning then missiles firing a experiments going off then BOOM. as erin tar describes it get a visual, pull out to the planet and watch the leylines and nexus form. then start right at day 1.... take a group of 5 people trying to survive the wilderness sloley interduce the CS and tolkeen but stay to the vast wilderness of rift's High tech but no cilivalation type of atmophere. sorta liek a mad max beyond thunder dome or water world type movie
"when in doubt, do it. It's much easier to appolige than to get permission."
- Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

thedrunk wrote:
amodernheathen wrote:I would love to see a script following Erin Tarn and some of her adventures. Honestly, I think she's the key to introducing people to Rifts, after all, she's the one who introduced all of us to that world.

Mabey a Erin tarn narratior??
interducing us to the world of Rift's as we watch the comming of the rift's. think that would be cool. a GB shot rings out, news feeds of hostility, then planets aligning then missiles firing a experiments going off then BOOM. as erin tar describes it get a visual, pull out to the planet and watch the leylines and nexus form. then start right at day 1.... take a group of 5 people trying to survive the wilderness sloley interduce the CS and tolkeen but stay to the vast wilderness of rift's High tech but no cilivalation type of atmophere. sorta liek a mad max beyond thunder dome or water world type movie

I would not mind at all the introduction. In fact I think that is the only way to go so most people wouldn't be to lost. The last part I would not mind, or something similur.
Silas
D-Bee
Comment: Never underestimate a player who likes options.

Unread post by Silas »

If RIFTS were to be animated, it would have to be in the style of Japanese anime in order to have the same gritty look and feel of the books.

Anything else would be far too silly and childish.
Rogue Scholar, speaking over the grave of a black marketeer: "In the Great House and in the House of Fire, on that Great Day when all the days and years are numbered, oh let my name be given back to me."
Juicer, having killed said black marketeer: Oh %@$# this! His name is Dirtnap! Can we go now?!

Return to “Rifts® Movie”