The work begins...

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

The work begins...

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Officially today!

I took my Quick Mechanoids Fix Rifter submission and broke it up into parts. O.C.C.'s, equipment, vehicles and so on. I started getting down ideas for the setting I'm also trying to figure out some other aspects which I'm sure Kevin will help to clarify.

Getting started is always the hardest part for me. My goal is to try and give Kevin an outline by the open house and get his feedback and direction. It will also help to see what he expects me to write versus what he wants to write and so on.

I won't even speculate as to a release date, but I'll put in this thread some major milestones for those that are interested.

Carl
ImageImage
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: The work begins...

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Cool :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Kick. Ass.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Carl, is this going to be a re-launch of Invasion? Or Homeworld? Or is this for Mechanoid Space?

As a fan of Mechanoids, I hope you are given enormous latitude to create something radically different than Rifts / Phase World from the ground up so Mechanoids stands in a unique position in regards to its OCCs, races, tech toys, psi and magic.

Invasion is such a great story / setting. I hope you get to play there!
Carl Gleba

Spinachcat wrote:Carl, is this going to be a re-launch of Invasion? Or Home world? Or is this for Mechanoid Space?

As a fan of Mechanoids, I hope you are given enormous latitude to create something radically different than Rifts / Phase World from the ground up so Mechanoids stands in a unique position in regards to its OCCs, races, tech toys, psi and magic.

Spinachcat,

I agree. The invasion trilogy is an awesome story. I have the compiled Mechanoids Invasion Trilogy and am reading through it again and letting the ideas flow. Just so you know, Kevin has never tied my hands in any creative endeavor. Heck, he let me do the Minion War! That should give you an idea of the faith he has in me. I'm sure most of you know I'm a space opera fan at heart and I'm not holding back on anything.

I'll be able to report more after the Open House or when I talk to Kevin. I know he's been wanting to do Mechanoids Space for sometime so he will also have his ideas and I'm seeing this more as a collaboration rather than me writing it solo, not that I'd mind :D

Carl
ImageImage
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Carl, I am fully expecting to have my socks figuratively knocked off, while I'm standing there, reading your submission in The Rifter.

Granted, this isn't much coming from another player/reader, but I just wanted you to know. I have every confidence you will do yourself and all of us proud.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Spinachcat wrote:Carl, is this going to be a re-launch of Invasion? Or Home world? Or is this for Mechanoid Space?

Spinachcat,

I agree. The invasion trilogy is an awesome story. I have the compiled Mechanoids Invasion Trilogy and am reading through it again and letting the ideas flow. Just so you know, Kevin has never tied my hands in any creative endeavor. Heck, he let me do the Minion War! That should give you an idea of the faith he has in me. I'm sure most of you know I'm a space opera fan at heart and I'm not holding back on anything.

I'll be able to report more after the Open House or when I talk to Kevin. I know he's been wanting to do Mechanoids Space for sometime so he will also have his ideas and I'm seeing this more as a collaboration rather than me writing it solo, not that I'd mind :D

Carl

You going to run more Mechanoids stuff at this Open House?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Carl Gleba

Killer Cyborg wrote:You going to run more Mechanoids stuff at this Open House?

Yes I am. Same game you played in. I don't have any new material yet. Just the changes you suggested.

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

BookWyrm wrote:Carl, I am fully expecting to have my socks figuratively knocked off, while I'm standing there, reading your submission in The Rifter.

Granted, this isn't much coming from another player/reader, but I just wanted you to know. I have every confidence you will do yourself and all of us proud.

I don't know if/when the Rifter submission will see print. I did give copies of it out at the 07 POH. I will again this year to anyone who plays in my game.

Thanks for the confidence BookWyrm :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Carl Gleba wrote:I have the compiled Mechanoids Invasion Trilogy and am reading through it again and letting the ideas flow.

Do you also have a copy of Invasion expanded into "The Mechanoids" in 1985? It is mostly the same as the Book I and Book II stuff regarding Gideon, but there are additional equipment, creatures, adventures and an expanded section on Gideon underwater. The adventures by Erick Wujcik are good (one is wickedly good) and the equipment section is interesting because we get descriptions of non-combat tools.
Carl Gleba

Spinachcat wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:I have the compiled Mechanoids Invasion Trilogy and am reading through it again and letting the ideas flow.

Do you also have a copy of Invasion expanded into "The Mechanoids" in 1985? It is mostly the same as the Book I and Book II stuff regarding Gideon, but there are additional equipment, creatures, adventures and an expanded section on Gideon underwater. The adventures by Erick Wujcik are good (one is wickedly good) and the equipment section is interesting because we get descriptions of non-combat tools.

I do, in fact I was reading about the underwater adventures last night. Nice use of Zoarm!

I also have the comic books, the original invasion trilogy books. So with all that and the Rifts Source Book I should be all set for reference material.
ImageImage
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:You going to run more Mechanoids stuff at this Open House?

Yes I am. Same game you played in. I don't have any new material yet. Just the changes you suggested.

Carl

Sweet! :ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Cool Carl! Thank you for the update! Please keep up the great work!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Carl Gleba

Just a little update for those who are interested.

I had a nice conversation with Kevin last night. We have lots of ideas and we both seem to be on the same page which is good.

Kevin stressed the importance of world building and game design. I received some good lessons on both last night and it gave me a lot to consider when working on this project. We both want Mechanoids Space to be epic and to blow people away. The Mechanoids aren't just going to be scary cloned cyborgs, they are going to be psychotic killers hell bent on making humanoids suffer before they strike the final blow.

Right now we have tons of ideas that need to be sorted and written of course. Then comes the task of deciding what to include and what not to. Of course what ever is left over will go go to future books :wink:

So the ground has been broken, the workmen are on site, and the foreman is overseeing the project. The foundation is being laid.

I'll keep you guys updated as work progresses.

Carl
ImageImage
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

In the words of Kosh: "And so....it begins."
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Oohh...I can't wait for this to come out!!! like a lot of people, I've been waiting for some Mechanoid stuff for a long time!
They can't see me...Right!?
Carl Gleba

Lord NorDeth wrote:Any further updates on this project Carl?

I'm learning the ropes of designing an RPG from the ground up. Kevin and I have a ton of ideas. Now we are deciding on which to use. The biggest is deciding on the setting (specifically where we will focus on in the first book) which will decide on which O.C.C.'s are relevant for the game. Once we hammer out the setting the rest should fall into place rather quickly.

I'll probably be doing several Mechanoid games at the Open House. Get some feed back and see what people like.

I've been working on this among other some other small projects for Palladium Fantasy.

Carl
ImageImage
avollant
Wanderer
Comment: "Governments don't make mistakes; they encounter delays and setbacks!

Unread post by avollant »

Keep up posted on what is going on with that project... I've been waiting nearly 20 years for it!

Please make it compatible with the other setting like Rifts/Phase World... and Robotech.
Carl Gleba

avollant wrote:Keep up posted on what is going on with that project... I've been waiting nearly 20 years for it!

Please make it compatible with the other setting like Rifts/Phase World... and Robotech.

Kevin will be writing the rules, but I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible.

Unfortunately this project is on hold for now. Kevin asked me to focus on some Rifts titles at this time. Don't worry, this project is not forgotten and something I really want to work on.
ImageImage
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Kevin and I have a ton of ideas. Now we are deciding on which to use.

What is not used in the main book or other brain stormer is used in Adventurer books. Start writing some.
Please. NOW!!!!
As Wednesday Adams say in the movie.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
avollant
Wanderer
Comment: "Governments don't make mistakes; they encounter delays and setbacks!

Unread post by avollant »

Are we gonna see the Mechanoids published in Riffts Sourcebook 2?
Carl Gleba

avollant wrote:Are we gonna see the Mechanoids published in Riffts Sourcebook 2?

Those are the ones I've been using to determine M.D.C. values. Plus I used them in my POH test games. Kevin did mention that he want's all new art so who knows? The Mechanoids might get a complete make over at least in appearance. Plus a few new ones :demon:

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

abtex wrote:
Kevin and I have a ton of ideas. Now we are deciding on which to use.

What is not used in the main book or other brain stormer is used in Adventurer books. Start writing some.

I have enough ideas for at least two mechanoid source books. It depends on what is used/not used in the main book. So yes, idea will be recycled if not used in the main book :D

Carl
ImageImage

Return to “The Mechanoids®”