Working on a Militia building table

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LJ
Explorer
Comment: A few household chemicals in the proper proportions.

Working on a Militia building table

Unread post by LJ »

I've had the idea to modify one of the org creating tables like the ones in N&SS, and Rifts: Mercenaries for a while. I've finally gotten around to starting on it. Things to expect:I've scaled down starting points, as well as split up several of the things so they need to be purchased separately, and increased the costs of a few things. I'm also reworking the whole "sponsorship" thing to better fit in the game.
ECHO Member
Champion of the 2004 Megaversal Deathmatch
He Who Must Not Be Combed
"Poison Clan rocks the world!!"
Aramanthus
Monk

Re: Working on a Militia building table

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Cool. I'd like to see it when you are finished!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Sounds interesting.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Sounds cool. Have you looked at the one from Rifts Oz? Would probably be closer, from a survivalist perspective.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

CyCo wrote:Sounds cool. Have you looked at the one from Rifts Oz? Would probably be closer, from a survivalist perspective.

Yeah, I'm using some of the stuff from that. And the guild creator from one of the Rifters to go over the the low tech stuff that people have been forced to used for communications, etc.
ECHO Member
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Here is the first draft

Militia Generator Tables

Size and Orientation
1. Squad: 8-12 people. This is the smallest group possible, and they have little resources. 30 Points.
2. Minor Company: 25-40 people. 60Points
3. Free Company: 100-400 people. 95 Points.

Features

Sponsorship
What a militia gains from a sponsorship, is dependent on the community or organization sponsoring them. A smaller community may give the militia some trade goods, while a larger one may give the equivalent of building points. In return the militia must fulfill obligations to their sponsors or risk losing any of the bonuses. They must also keep the community happy, or face a diminished bonus. A militia can have multiple sponsors, but must remember that they will have to fulfill their obligations to all their sponsors, some of which have conflicting interests. What is gained from the sponsorship should be worked out in game. Also, deals should be based on a schedule for contract renegotiations.

Uniforms
1. None: Everyone has to provide their own uniforms.
2. Poor: The militia provides articles of clothing that may be in bad condition. Shoddy boots, jackets with holes in them, etc. The only “uniform” thing binding this group together is a poorly made insignia on an armband, headband, etc. 2 Points
3. Standard: Every member is issued a set of BDUs, jumpsuits, or another article clothing resembling a uniform. They are in good condition. Replacement uniforms are readily available for 1/4th the membership. 5 Points
4. Improved: Every member is issued 2 standard uniforms, with weather related gear like rain coats, snow shoes, etc. Replacements for standard issues are more plentiful, but weather gear may be in short supply. Ghillie suits and other similar articles are available on a need-to-use-basis. 8 Points

Equipment
1. None: Everyone has to provide their own gear.
2. Cheap: Canteens or water bottles are made available to everyone as well as basic mess kits, a decent knife, a bedroll, and some kind of pack to carry everything in. Items take some time to get replaced. 2Points
3. Moderate: Better quality gear, with the addition of a gun cleaning kit, a pair of binoculars, sleeping bag, a basic survival kit, flashlight, etc. 5 Points
4. Electronics: Computers, video devices, some sensory equipment, etc. Usage of these devices is heavily monitored and limited to those skilled in its’ use. 8 points
5. Medical: First aid kits, paramedic equipment, and some drugs are available. There will be a higher use of alcohol for sterilization and anesthetization than the less common medical drugs. 12 Points
6. Clinic: A Sawbones, psychic healer, several nurses and combat medics are available. Medical supplies are more readily available, as the militia can create medical alcohol, and various quantities of older medicines like sulfa drugs, etc. Veterinary needs can also be met. 22 Points
7. Limited Organitech: The militia has access to various non-weapon organitech devices like breath masks, electronics, etc. 24 Points
8. Moderate Organitech: The militia has a small organitech lab to produce devices in limited quantities, as well as a sizeable ability to produce bug juice. 28 Points
9. Specialized: The militia has a lot of equipment for a certain profession such as farming, hunting, construction, etc. 8 Points

Vehicles
Note: Many of these choices must be purchased separately. “Beasts of burden” does not go towards Motorized, etc.
1. None: Everyone provides their own transportation.
2. Manpowered: The militia has a line of mountain bikes, rickshaws, handcarts, skis, skateboards, shopping carts, etc. 2 Points
3. Minor Beasts of burden: The militia is able to provide older horses horses, mules, donkeys, and carriages in limited numbers. Many members are still forced to walk, and replacement animals are harder to come by. 3 Points
4. Standard Beasts of Burden: Better quality animals, with enough for everyone, and a few to spare. 5 Points
5. Basic Motorized: The militia has a small collection of sedans, motorcycles, and ATVs to transport most of the troops. 6 Points
6. Moderate Motorized: The militia has trucks, jeeps, and maybe even a motor home to transport everyone around. 1/4th have been modified for combat conditions with welded on armor, and some kind of mounted weapon. 10 Points
7. Rafts/Canoes/kayaks: The militia has enough manpowered ocean craft for 1/2 the troops. 3 Points
8. Boats/Aircraft: The militia has access to a handful of sailboats, motorboats, OR a handful of civilian aircraft. 10 Points
9. Military Land: The militia has a handful of serviceable tanks, APCs, HumVees for 1/8th of their troops. 14 points.
10. Military Air: The militia has a handful serviceable combat aircraft for 1/8th of their troops. 18 Points

Weapons
Note: Many of these must be purchased separately.
1. None: Everyone provides their own weapons.
2. Civilian Low: The militia has a high mix of hunting weapons like bows, crossbows, shotguns, hunting rifles, and the occasional old military surplus rifle. Everyone is issued a hand weapon like a hatchet, machete, axe, etc. They are also given one sidearm, and one long arm. Because of the wide variety of weapons the militia scrounged together, there is a high diversity in ammo. However, some are rounds are less common than others and harder to replace. 3 Points.
3. Civilian High: The militia has a better selection of firearms, with better overlapping of ammunition. Replacements are more common as well. 1/10th are given specialized weapons like a highly modified rifle, or maybe even a .50caliber target rifle. 6 Points
4. Military: The militia has a collection of standard military weapons like M16s, AKs, etc. Out of every 8 people there may be a grenade launcher, machinegun, etc. 9 Points
5. Heavy Weapons: The militia has a good collection of machineguns and large caliber rifles for 1/4th the troops, with plenty of ammo and a few replacements. 12 Points
6. Demolitions: The militia has plenty of grenades and mortars for its’ members, as well as a few rocket launchers and demo charges. 15 Points
7. Limited Organitech: The militia has a handful of the lower powered organitech weapons, bug juice grenades, roach motels, etc. 12 Points
8. Moderate Organitech: The militia has a larger supply of the organitech weapons of low-mid powered, and a handful of the high powered ones. 15 points

Armor
1. None: Everyone provides their own armor.
2. Light: Light body armor is provided for 1/4th the troops. 8 points
3. Moderate: Half the members have light body armor, with an additional piece of heavy armor for every officer. 12 Points
4. Heavy: Half the members have some kind of heavy armor, with the rest having light. 14 Points
5. Organitech: The militia has a handful of the lighter suits. 20 Points

Communications
1. None: Everyone provides their own.
2. Couriers: The militia has a handful of couriers to go back and forth. 2 Points
3. Basic: The militia has one long-range radio, and a handful of walkie-talkies and CB’s for the vehicles. 4 Points
4. Moderate: 2 long range radios, as well as a walkie-talkie for every 4th person. 10 Points
5. Radio Free America: The militia has access to a Radio Free America station. 15 Points

Security
1. None: Anyone can walk through
2. Lax: A pair of guards watch who exits and enters, and only important things have locks. 3 Points
3. Tight: A group of trained guards survey the encampment, and more things have locks. 10 Points

Permanent Base
1. None: No base
2. Partial: The militia is based out of a small house, or area that they own or rent from a nearby community. 4 Points
3. HQ: The militia is based out of a large structure like a school, mine, or old estate with a lot of extra land to setup additional facilities. 12 Points
4. Fortified HQ: An HQ where the structure has been fortified with sandbags, fences, etc. Internal security counts as Tight. 22 Points
5. Militia Town: The militia owns a town. 42 Points

Intelligence
1. None: The militia pretty much relies on word of mouth.
2. Local Contact: The Militia has a contact in a town/community/other militia that gives them a heads up on the news. This can be purchased multiple times. 1 Point per contact
3. Scouts: The militia has a scout detachment to gather intel. 5 Points
4. Small Intel Network: The militia has a combination of scouts, local contacts, and a couple good friends in Radio Free America. This network gives them a lot of information for the region they are in, and a little bit from outside their borders. 12 Points
5. Moderate Intel Network: Very little goes on inside the militia’s area without them hearing about it. They also get a fair bit of news from outside their borders. 16 Points

Power
1. None: Everyone is stuck scraping by.
2. Low: The militia has a good source of coal and lumber to power a steam generator. 4 Points
3. Moderate: The militia has a good source of gasoline, ethanol, etc to power generators and vehicles most of the time with careful rationing. 8 Points
4. Good: The Militia has access to a lot of fuel, and even has some to spare. They also have some solar cells to augment their fuel use. 20 Points
5. Organitech: The militia has some roach motels that have been converted to provide energy. 28 Points

Food
1. None: Every man for himself.
2. Hunting/Gathering: The militia has a group dedicated to hunting and gathering, bringing in just enough food to keep people from starving. 3 Points
3. Small Farm: A small farm that keeps everyone reasonably fed with a little extra. 8 Points
4. Moderate Farm: A larger farm that keeps people well fed, with more to spare. 12 Points
5. Large Farm: An even larger farm that keeps people well fed, with a lot to spare. 16 Points

Specialized Personnel
1. Egghead/Grease Monkey/etc: Any highly skilled person. 10 points per person.
ECHO Member
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Good for a first draft.

I was going to say that it needs more fleshing out, but like you (and I just) said, it is a first draft.

~ Josh
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Agree its a nice start.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Aramanthus
Monk

I also agree. Great first draft!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

I'm having a total brainfart on where to go from here.
ECHO Member
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

LJ wrote:I'm having a total brainfart on where to go from here.

Sit down and write up a couple different militias, and then see if you can stat them using your rules.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Hmm...looking back at the food chart, I think I may want to add stuff about how many people each one can keep people reasonably fed. A Small farm isn't going to do a larger group decently fed, and a small group with a large farm is going to have a lot to spare.
ECHO Member
Aramanthus
Monk

Any updates on this thread?

HH....FIE
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

There will be some a lot later, getting towards the end of the semester so a bunch of projects are starting up.
ECHO Member
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

LJ wrote:There will be some a lot later, getting towards the end of the semester so a bunch of projects are starting up.

Amongst them, starting his own militia. ;-)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Mark Hall wrote:
LJ wrote:There will be some a lot later, getting towards the end of the semester so a bunch of projects are starting up.

I already did that. :P
ECHO Member
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

LJ wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

I already did that. :P

So by "projects" you don't mean start up a militia but rather training it.
Aramanthus
Monk

Still looking forward to seeing the final project after you finish your school work.

HH....FIE
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Truely amazing work sir! :ok:
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

I'll buy that for a dollar!!!

I like it.

If I could figure out programming, perhaps I could work it into a program that generates random militias...So I could generate the number of independent militias in a given region. Small communities will also have to compete for resources. This could lead to post-apocalyptic wars over things like food, water etc.

Given human nature, the militia groups will have to compete for resources, like food. The smaller ones are the greatest threat because they have a poor amount of resources and might have to either fight as bandits or join larger militia groups.

Sadly, any militia group in America will be based on race or religion...You will have more ethnic militia groups based in the ruins of the cities and certain areas, like the American Southwest and the South.
Aramanthus
Monk

Any further information on the progress of this project? I'm interested in hearing how it is coming along.

HH....FIE
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

Hopefully I'll have some more up soon, having a bit of writer's block.
ECHO Member
Aramanthus
Monk

Thank you for the update! We can be patient until you are free of the writer's block.

HH....FIE
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

VERY WELL DONE
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd suggest adding an entry for full military uniforms to the clothing table. representing those groups that not only have BDU's, but have some form of "dress uniform" for all their members. that would rare, but certainly possible.

likewise another option might be a "mobile HQ" option under the base section. instead of a fixed location, the group has vehicles set up for the job.

under specialized personell, you might want to include things like:
Veternarian, Doctor, Electrician, Trader, etc.

you might also want to add a "composition" table, so you can figure out if your militia is mainly old men and boys, or a group of experianced survivalists.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Any updates on this project?

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
LJ
Explorer

Unread post by LJ »

I've been pretty lazy about it. Not sure if I will ever get to it.
ECHO Member

Return to “Systems Failure™”