So really whats the bottom line with this movie?

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maryann
Adventurer

Re: So really whats the bottom line with this movie?

Unread post by Maryann »

Kenpachi wrote:Is this just a deal to possibly make a movie or are they actually going to make it? Has is just been placed on a backburner somewhere to be forgotten?

God can you imagine a Rifts movie! How wicked would that be, then I could laugh at all my friends who thought I was a dork for liking a role playing game lol.

They have a writer working on the script, thats all anyone knows right now. Once they have a script they can greenlight the project until then we just need patience ...
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Not to mention that the rights were optioned once, and when the expiration date came up it was optioned again. That means, to me at least, they really want to follow through with it. They just need a script and to make room for it in Jerry Bruckheimer Studio's busy busy busy schedule. His studio crunches multiple projects at the same time, so they might need to wait for one to finish up before starting this, even once they have a script.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I'd be more excited over a Nightbane movie... how many years are you going to wait on a script for?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Specter wrote:I'd be more excited over a Nightbane movie... how many years are you going to wait on a script for?

Probably as many years as it takes, as long as Mr. Bruckheimer is still interested, and the checks keep clearing the bank and there isn't another big name movie producer kicking down the door.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly

LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Specter wrote:I'd be more excited over a Nightbane movie... how many years are you going to wait on a script for?

I'd imagine if someone approached the company wanting to option the rights to Nightbane, they'd do it. It may be less of a possibility since Hellboy 2 is floundering. If Hellboy 2 hit big numbers it would've shown that audiences want those types of movies and hollywood would be pounding down doors of companies that have stuff to option, like Nightbane.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

HB2 is floundering? Damn... that movie was really good.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

That's the impression I got from interviews. It's been out what, 4 weeks? If I remember what I read somewhere right, first three weekends only totaled out to be like $66 million. That's bad for a CGI action flick.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

LostOne wrote:That's the impression I got from interviews. It's been out what, 4 weeks? If I remember what I read somewhere right, first three weekends only totaled out to be like $66 million. That's bad for a CGI action flick.

I would imagine part of that is Batman stealing the show, but only in part. I know if I had the money, I would have gone and seen HB2. :-?

As far as Bruckheimer's enthusiasm about the Rifts project, I can say that from the language I have heard third-hand, his studio definitely considers Rifts to have major movie potential. :D
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

From what I know, the writer is busy working on it and actually thinks he may have the script done relatively soon. Why not email him and show your support and ask him yourself?
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

Prince Artemis wrote:From what I know, the writer is busy working on it and actually thinks he may have the script done relatively soon. Why not email him and show your support and ask him yourself?

give us the email :D
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:From what I know, the writer is busy working on it and actually thinks he may have the script done relatively soon. Why not email him and show your support and ask him yourself?

give us the email :D

Thats probably a really really bad idea. He doesn't need to be deluged with emails from Palladium fans while he's working. Its nice that your enthusiasm is bubbling over but this would be a distraction

xmen510
D-Bee

Unread post by xmen510 »

I put a post in the movie talk thread about this before i noticed this one so I will copy it here for all to see.

Apparently the people over at icv2 spoke with Kevin at GenCon. Apparently Kevin mentioned that a new draft is being written and a decision to go ahead or not will be made soon. Too bad it wasn't mentioned in the GenCon murmers as it would have been nice to hear.

Relevant Links:

http://www.icv2.com/index.php

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13176.html

:D

So there you go, the latest word as of GenCon.
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Specter wrote:I'd be more excited over a Nightbane movie...

I wonder what that might look like... :P :D
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

riftshighway wrote:I got this reply a year ago when I petitioned to do a fan film:

Contact Bruckheimer's people. Not just by email. Make sure to send a letter asking permission and explain your project in detail. Most rights holders have no problem with YouTube fan films.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

riftshighway wrote:Don't get too excited about a Rifts movie. It will be as commercial as anything that comes out of Hollywood:

I got this reply a year ago when I petitioned to do a fan film:

So you want to be a film maker, that's great, but you had better hold off on anything that deals or even touches the Rifts world. Jerry Bruckhiemer and Walt Disney have an exclusive option on Rifts and even though you might create something for fun, Fun could turn out to be very expensive if the wrong eye's see your product. Keep intouch, and we will know in a couple of years if the option and or movies fails to be renewed or created.
Seriously though, Hold off on anthing from Palladium's Rifts.

Thank you though for your obvious support and enthusiasm for our products.

sincerely,

Tony Falzon
sales liaison, Palladium Books

I understand that Palladium doesn't have the rights to the movie (since they've been leased)--but shooting your fanbase probably isn't the best way to publicize it.

He was warning you so you wouldn't get sued by Disney or Bruckheimer (even if such a thing would be unlikely).

How is that shooting the fanbase?

~ Josh
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

riftshighway wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:He was warning you so you wouldn't get sued by Disney or Bruckheimer (even if such a thing would be unlikely).

How is that shooting the fanbase?

~ Josh

I can appreciate where he's coming from--steering me away from a financial tangle is really quite noble, but I see an underlying problem with this situation.

When George Lucas developed Star Wars, in addition to merchandising he kept a number of the intellectual rights to the franchise which freely used to encourage spoofs, parodys, and fan films. E.g. youtube 'Star Wars fan film'. It's a great marketing tool whereby many people can hear about the game.

I'm not sure about the details, but if PB signed away the fans' rights to do fan films, they lost a potential tool. Amidst all of the negotiations that PB spoke about when first announcing the movie deal I was really hoping a clause like Lucas' would make it in.

That's why I mention 'shooting the fanbase'. A bit harsh, but then again I feel a bit betrayed :P

Unfortunately Palladium is not George Lucas and does not have that kind of clout in Hollywood. The only reason Lucas was able to keep any of those rights is he produced the movie himself and just and just had a studio distribute it.

Return to “Rifts® Movie”