Sell me on this game please

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oldnerd13

Sell me on this game please

Unread post by oldnerd13 »

Whats it all about? Does it tie in with other games, like Chaos Earth and Rifts? Or is it a stand alone?
LostOne
Champion

Re: Sell me on this game please

Unread post by LostOne »

It's stand-alone, but a fun setting.

The idea is that the y2k bug was real, but not as we expected. Actual bugs from another universe invaded, due to their unique abilities they were able to shut down the tech infrastructure of the world. Humanity was severely hindered, and a large part of the population killed.

The game starts 10 years later. Most of the human survivors are military, ex-military and survivalist nuts. NORAD is still around, since they can't use electronics they have developed biological power armors and weapons called Organitech. They've also used genetic engineering to created some human/bug crossbreed super-soldiers called Splicers (not to be confused with the Splicers RPG, these are different).

The bugs are many and varied. Different abilities and sizes.

Unfortunately, the book is kinda thin. It takes a good GM (which I had an AWESOME GM when we played this game) to really flesh out adventures for the game and keep it entertaining.

There's also plenty of fan-made material on the boards here and on websites and in the Rifters.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I honestly think if I had to pick just one Palladium game, this would be it. It's a fun, quick, compact game. Would be fantastic to use to introduce new players or for old gamer's just looking for a change of pace from whatever they normally play.

There's a couple of Rifter articles on it, three or four maybe that add some content.

Mike Taylor has a good expansion that we have at Nexus 9 as well -
http://www.nexusnine.net/doc/nb/index.html
oldnerd13

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds interesting. I like the "change of pace" idea. Maybe when I get closer to the end of the current RT camp I'm running I'll get a copy.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

No problem. You may not want to wait too long, as it is now no longer in print and Palladium has sold out I believe.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I have had a lot of fun playing System Failure and highly recommend it.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
oldnerd13

Got the book in the mail yesterday. Wow!
What an AWESOME #*!@%$& !!!
That opening dialog in the chat room gave me chills. Really. It was haunting.
Cool art.
Cool story.
Cool "stuff".
This may become the "main" game over Robotech...
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Yeah I had the same reaction pretty much.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

It's the best game that Pall have put out. Big call, but it is in my books.

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I felt the same way when I first got it. But I was even more impressed with Splicers. I like that setting better.

The idea of Organitech is taken a lot farther in Splicers as Bio-Tech.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
oldnerd13

LostOne wrote:I felt the same way when I first got it. But I was even more impressed with Splicers. I like that setting better.

The idea of Organitech is taken a lot farther in Splicers as Bio-Tech.

Easy buddy, one new game at a time. LOL!
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

oldnerd13 wrote:Easy buddy, one new game at a time. LOL!

They're each standalone books. Come on, feed the monkey...you know you want to. :twisted:
oldnerd13

LostOne wrote:
oldnerd13 wrote:Easy buddy, one new game at a time. LOL!

They're each standalone books. Come on, feed the monkey...you know you want to. :twisted:

I can't dude. Near crippling ADD and all. And leave my monkey out of this! :lol:
But you did get me to check out the Splicers game description and write -ups other places. Looks cool. But jsut 2 games for now.

Unless they bring back TMNT then all other games will take a seat!
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

funny (or sad), I read the RIFTER Nr. 8 yesterday and from his desk KS announces a 64 to 112 pages adventure-sourcebook for the game. I either never knew that (thinking it was stand-alone-one-book-planned from the beginning) or forgot about it. Boy-oh-boy, would that have been great!
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

LostOne wrote:NORAD is still around, since they can't use electronics they have developed biological power armors and weapons called Organitech.

I've been in the need of some organic technology. Just Amazoned this book new for $5. Despite being out of print, it's still floating around out there for those interested.
mastermesh
Wanderer

Unread post by mastermesh »

it was an awesome book and was neat reading it before year 2000. Would be neat if Kevin would do a 2012 book in a similar vein real quick, lol.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

mastermesh wrote:it was an awesome book and was neat reading it before year 2000. Would be neat if Kevin would do a 2012 book in a similar vein real quick, lol.

Ooh, I'd love that. Good idea! :ok:
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Yet another book I own but have never played or ran a game for... I am a sad sad gamer boy.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I like this book alot, I usually do rifts and in ritfs I use these bugs to replace, to a degree, other bugs in the game. Splicers is also awsome but it is MDC rather then SDC. I like the feel this game has, it also compliments almost every other game Palladium has put out.
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

I'm thinking about making this my next buy, this or dead reign.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Ronin78 wrote:I'm thinking about making this my next buy, this or dead reign.

I haven't had the chance to buy (or even look at) Dead Reign, but SF is awesome and DR has been well received. Don't think you could go wrong with either of them.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Just finished reading this earlier this week. It has a lot of good stuff in it, notably having an OCC which is not related to what you did before you became a hero. This would be a good concept for a new HU revision. Add an OCC skill list to the various classes, and put a second skill list for your background.
Shotofentropy
D-Bee

Unread post by Shotofentropy »

Oldnerd you sound like someone from my, ehm, age group. Got After the bomb (2) but it's just not the same, still good, just not the same. And I still have those Robotech books.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

hey hey, I used to have a new years party with SF. Its a great system (little crunchy) with great OCC's and mass potential. Any alternate universe would be horrified by the outcome of total System Failure. In ATB some of the cities could still be maintained and standing, in Rifts some of the cities could be a DMZ, in heroes it could happen to just one city and spread like a disease. Real fun stuff.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Deckard1973
D-Bee

Unread post by Deckard1973 »

I am trying to give my own slant to SF in the short story I am working on. Skipping the Y2K thing and making it more current. With all the concern on solar flares, and their impact on our technology I am trying to tie that into the alien appearances.
More to come!
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I think I read some of your stuff. It was really good.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I can see I'm going to have to pick this game up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Return to “Systems Failure™”