alignment changes and immortals

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dmart11
Dungeon Crawler

alignment changes and immortals

Unread post by dmart11 »

just to be quick,

if a character is long lived or even immortal, it would make sense that the character would change his/her alignment sooner or later.
for example, a diabolical character lives 10,000 years and learns to improve his soul and personality and becomes at least micreant.
or a self character becomes more moral and upgrades to a good alignment.
or a good character becomes so jaded he sinks in to self and eventually evil.
any opinions?
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Does not have to be 10,000 years for any of that to happen.

But, yea, any of those are possible.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: alignment changes and immortals

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

dmart11 wrote:just to be quick,

if a character is long lived or even immortal, it would make sense that the character would change his/her alignment sooner or later.
for example, a diabolical character lives 10,000 years and learns to improve his soul and personality and becomes at least micreant.
or a self character becomes more moral and upgrades to a good alignment.
or a good character becomes so jaded he sinks in to self and eventually evil.
any opinions?

it's quite possible. hell, people do that in a matter of single diget years.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Can happen over night if the event is powerful enough.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

It's hard to imagine the psychology of a being tens of thousands of years old.

I would imagine that a certain inertia would set in, and your personality become pretty much set. Change is possible, but would take a lot longer than it would for a normal human, and I would think that it would require more to trigger it.

A human might have an epiphany and change his ways from a single act of selfless kindness from a stranger. A 10,000 year old immortal might have to live near a group of selfless people for several generations before seeing an effect.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I think one of the biggest RPing challanges I had was playing a character who was not only immortal but had a PERFECT memory. No matter how long she lived, she would never forget a single moment.

THAT was a mindset hard to get into :) but fun!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I tend to think they become less hostile and more selfish. There is also personal reasons and simply being a round better people to "absorb" values partially. While not a good guy per say he still stands by his friends.

Look at Methos on “Highlander: the Series”. He’s been around a LONG time (5000 plus years) Methos tended toward Unprincipled except when certain topics come up, he's not fond of slavery or senseless slaughter. He was around along time and considered survival his priority.

On the other hand he also was seemingly "immune" to or does not consider items we shorter lived types consider such as Chivalry. He killed a female immortal Duncan could not. He told Duncan, he was born long before the concept was made. So it indicates he takes only things that work...regardless of there popularity. Chivilray is considered a good trait. but Methos by the end is one the good guys, and doesn't believe or use the chivilary code as Duncan would.

So a lot of factors go into immortality. Hope this helps..
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

I like Kevin's recurring concept of "moral entropy" in long-lived beings....that they are around so long not being "human," that many if not most of them slowly lose touch with their "humanity." And yes, in case you're wondering, this even goes for many of the "Good" ones, as far as I have seen.

Look at what happens to even long-lived mortals if they are turned into Cyborgs or El Dorado Anti-Monsters or what have you....

The ones in canon that do seem to retain their goodness even over very long periods of time are very often those creatures that stick around and care for mortals in the first place....
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

cornholioprime wrote:I like Kevin's recurring concept of "moral entropy" in long-lived beings....that they are around so long not being "human," that many if not most of them slowly lose touch with their "humanity." And yes, in case you're wondering, this even goes for many of the "Good" ones, as far as I have seen.

Look at what happens to even long-lived mortals if they are turned into Cyborgs or El Dorado Anti-Monsters or what have you....

The ones in canon that do seem to retain their goodness even over very long periods of time are very often those creatures that stick around and care for mortals in the first place....

I can agree that...living so long you'd not go evil, just do whatever you need or want with out considering others. this tends to lean to selfish or scrupulus. but as always PC's and NPC's of important are set in ther ways.

Acttually "Highlander: the series" shows alot good immortals go bad or at least darkly selfish. and in reallity that is what would happen. Kinda makes you think how elves and other long lived ones get by.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”