munchkin happens

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

There is no munchkin in my games.

There may be uber power but no munchkin.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

worst munchkin? Havent really had any bad munchkins yet...a few atempts at it tho...like the player that had his wolfen "parry the dragons stomp" :frust:
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

:? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

no chars that really unbalance my games (the mutated goblin came close tho) i generally am able to "balance" the party and foes to the power house in the group...

i would say tho that i have had my fair share of rules lawyer munchkins that atempt wrest controll of the game from me...
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Damian Magecraft wrote:i would say tho that i have had my fair share of rules lawyer munchkins that atempt wrest controll of the game from me...

Yea, they seem to miss the rule defining the role of the Game Master and the role of the player everytime though...
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

bob the desolate one wrote:
lather wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:i would say tho that i have had my fair share of rules lawyer munchkins that atempt wrest controll of the game from me...

Yea, they seem to miss the rule defining the role of the Game Master and the role of the player everytime though...

for some odd reason fate seems to be hard on rule lawyers in my games :demon:
same here...
I had one RL (iduring a fantasy game with some N&S thrown in) try telling me that the assassins Death blow was automatic on a nat 20 (even if he didnt anounce it first) and that the only defense is another natural roll to defend (exact words) :roll: so (being an old school gamer) I grab my GMs Bible (note book) and ask
"so we are in agreement that a natural roll defeats a modified one in all situations?" he agreed and I wrote the rule down...then I asked
"a deathblow on a natural roll does not need to be anounced prior to roll?" (note the wording :demon:) he agreed...
i allowed the game to progress for several adevntures under these new rules with several major big bads dying from nat 20 undeclared deathblows...
:demon: thats when i pulled out the 13th level Bok Pai master (deathblow on a Nat 16+) Big Bad :demon: the RL failed his parry there was much complaining at that point... :lol:
he then agreed that Death blows must be declared...however his favorite assassin was still dead...so he was still kinda mopey...so i took pity on him and declared
"all beings defeated by the old playtest rule of non-declared DBs were merly rendered unconcious not slain" (again note the wording cause the RL did not). :demon:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

lyrajayne wrote:Now, I've had some winners proposed to me. Including the genius who tried very hard to convince me that the True Atlantean Undead Slayer really was on par with a level 1 shifter. I'm pretty sure we weren't speaking the same language.
wait...they arent? news to me... :lol:
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Chump rules lawyer.

The good ones already thought of everything.

Still, very nice work :ok:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

lather wrote:Chump rules lawyer.

no Rules Lawyer can out think 30 years of gaming experience...
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
lather wrote:Chump rules lawyer.

no Rules Lawyer can out think 30 years of gaming experience...

Yea.. rules lawyers probably do not come close to lasting that long.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I weed them out before play.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Killer Cyborg wrote:I weed them out before play.
not all RLs are that obvious...and besides KC its more fun teaching them to truly Roleplay VS Rollplay
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

NulSyn wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
not all RLs are that obvious...and besides KC its more fun teaching them to truly Roleplay VS Rollplay

I can't agree with that! Trying to teach them how to role-play is like pulling teeth!
not if you use the tried and true method of presenting them with roleplay situations and a couple of player who are there to actually role-play helps too.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Damian Magecraft wrote:

bob the desolate one wrote:

<---generally interested not being sarcastic= how so?

I'll elaborate:

I was referring specifically to munchkin characters.
The way I've kept them out is by reviewing characters before running an adventure and vetoing anything that:
a. Looks too powerful (or wrongly powered for the adventure)
b. I am unfamiliar with.

Munchkin players are another thing.
You can often get a good idea about somebody's playing style simply by asking them. Ask what their favorite character or adventure was, and if they say something to the effect of:
"My favorite character is my old AD&D Paladin/Assassin! He rules!! One time, he killed Hades and took Hades' place as Lord Of The Underworld!!!"

Then you know that this guy is probably a munchkin.
If they want to modify things and break rules before even trying the character as-is, then they're probably a munchkin.
(This could be a topic by itself)

But I'm willing to run adventures for Munchkins (or people with munckin tendencies). One of my good friends and former players was a pretty hard-core munchkin in the beginnning (now in recovery).

The trick to running for a munchkin are:
-Don't give them what they ask for; give them what they want (to a point).
Munchkins are essentially bullies who get off on beating up imaginary opponents, so they tend to ask for the biggest, most powerful stuff in the book. If there's an OCC/RCC specifically for NPCs, because it's too powerful for players, that's the first thing a Munchkin will ask for.
But that's not necessarily what they want.
What they want is to beat up on imaginary enemies without a real chance of failure.
And that's pretty easy to give somebody in Rifts; a Rogue Scholar with basic gear is a demi-god compared to the average people of Rifts Earth.
The compromise a GM should make with a Munchkin is to give the guy some easy wins here and there, a chance for his character to shine and to come off as cool as the player would like to be.
(Heck, this is pretty good for normal players too)
-Don't give in to pleading, whining, or wheedling.
No matter how often he asks for his vagabond, in a vagabond campaign, to have super powers and Naruni gear, don't let him have it if it will screw things up for you.
If the guy is simply unwilling to play the game that you want to run, then you should both find somebody else.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

NulSyn wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
NulSyn wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

I can't agree with that! Trying to teach them how to role-play is like pulling teeth!
not if you use the tried and true method of presenting them with roleplay situations and a couple of player who are there to actually role-play helps too.

You sir are either a miracle worker, or have never met a "real" Rules-Lawyer! :D

Rules-Lawyers and Munchkins are different breeds.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

lyrajayne wrote:I don't mind rules lawyers much, but then again, I've been one. However, there is one rule that stands above all.

If I veto something, it's out. I don't care if you spent seven hours cross-referencing ambiguous quotes from five worldbooks and The Golden Bough.

:lol:

I don't know... if they went through the trouble of reading The Golden Bough, I'll at least hear them out.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

NulSyn wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Rules-Lawyers and Munchkins are different breeds.

Believe me I know the difference!

Then don't bring up Rules-Lawyers in a conversation about Munchkins.

BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

I heard a good description of the difference between power gamers and munchkins.

A power gamer wants to have enough power to meet all challenges.

A munchkin doesn't want there to be any challenge.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

What i don't like about munchkins is that they take away from the role play aspect and turn it into a number cruncher. I hate math, and the more you make me do it, the less likely your character gets to play. I'm good with the numbers but i don't want to work. I don't want to spend hours creating a legal way of beating them (thats the best way to do it). I want to be able to tell a story that the players have to role-play through instead of roll-play through. (i like that cliche by the way, hey! that rhymed! omg! i need help)
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

nothing an Ancient great horned dragon couldn't handle
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I had a guy try to join one of my games as a Neo Human/TW Crazy from SA1. When confronted with logic as to why that wouldn't work, he declined to play.

All or nothing for him, I guess!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

I wrote this a couple of years ago.

Sorry to waste your time with it. ;) hehe

One day, at the gaming table….

John the GM: “Hi, Manny. Thanks for coming over.”

Manny the Munchkin: “No problem, dude. What is it you wanted to show me?”

John: “I’ve written a new roleplaying game and I want you to help me playtest it.”

Manny: “What? Is this gonna be another lame-ass game about political intrigue and s**t? You know I hate that.”

John: “Absolutely not. In fact, I’ve written this game with you in mind. Basically, a game written for you to enjoy. I figured it would be best to do a one-on-one session, so you could tell me what you think. You being the target audience, obviously.”

Manny: “Okay, sounds interesting. What’s the game called?”

John: “It’s called ‘I Destroy The World: The Roleplaying Game.’”

Manny: “…”

John: “Sound interesting?”

John: “Manny? Would you like to play ‘I Destroy The World: The Roleplaying Game?’”

Manny: “… yes. yes, I would.”

John: “Great. Here’s your character sheet.”

Manny: “Kewl! Wait a second. There’s only one stat! What the f**k? ‘Means?’”

John: “Yes. It’s not really a stat, per se. It’s where you write the means your character uses to destroy the world.”

Manny: “Like what?”

John: “Like anything. You could have dark magics, or a big gun, or..”

Manny: “A big gun. I want a big gun. In space. On a space station. And all I have to do is push a button.”

John: “Okay, write it down.”

Manny: “Kewl! Big…..gun…..in…..space. Got it. Done.”

John: “Okay. Let’s play…. You are on your space station, standing next to the button that destroys the world. What do you do?”

Manny: “I DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!!”

John: “Okay! You win!”

Manny: “What?”

John: “You win the game, dude. Congratulations!”

Manny: “Oh my God. I… won. I actually won.”

John: “Was it everything you thought it would be?”

Manny: “HELL YES!!! I WON!!! I’ve wanted this for years!!! I’ve been waiting and dreaming for this day! Thank you, John! You’re teh best GM evar!!1!”

John shrugs: “Hey, I do what I can.”

Manny dances around the room in glee for 10 full minutes.

John: “Wanna play another game?”

Manny: “YEAH!!!”

John: “Okay, just erase the old Means and write in a new one.”

Manny: “No way! I’m keeping this character sheet in my files! My first win! Give me a new sheet!”

John: “Here ya go. What’s your new Means?”

Manny: “Um, dark magic ritual.”

John: “Got it written down? Good. So, you are standing in your magic circle with all your ritual materials. What do you…”

Manny: “I DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!”

John: “Cool! Another win!”

Manny: “BOO-YAH!!!”

John: “Another game?”

Manny: “HELL YEAH!!!”

Fifteen games later…

John: “Okay, another win!”

Manny sits at the table, quietly weeping tears of joy: “… I’m so happy. So very happy…”

John: “So, I take it you give my game a good review?”

Manny: “ Yeah, man. Absolutely…”

John: “Cool, because I have another game in mind. Sort of a thematic follow-up to…”

Manny: “NO!! Any game you run that uses words like ‘theme’ or ‘mood’ always sucks! No offense, dude.”

John shrugs, “Hear me out. It’s called 'I Destroy The Universe And All The Chicks Dig Me For It: The Roleplaying Game,’ Think maybe you want to play it?”

Manny: “HELL YEAH, I WANNA PLAY!!!!”
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

BillionSix wrote:I wrote this a couple of years ago.

Sorry to waste your time with it. ;) hehe

One day, at the gaming table….

John the GM: “Hi, Manny. Thanks for coming over.”

Manny the Munchkin: “No problem, dude. What is it you wanted to show me?”

John: “I’ve written a new roleplaying game and I want you to help me playtest it.”

Manny: “What? Is this gonna be another lame-ass game about political intrigue and s**t? You know I hate that.”

John: “Absolutely not. In fact, I’ve written this game with you in mind. Basically, a game written for you to enjoy. I figured it would be best to do a one-on-one session, so you could tell me what you think. You being the target audience, obviously.”

Manny: “Okay, sounds interesting. What’s the game called?”

John: “It’s called ‘I Destroy The World: The Roleplaying Game.’”

John: “Sound interesting?”

John: “Manny? Would you like to play ‘I Destroy The World: The Roleplaying Game?’”

Manny: “… yes. yes, I would.”

John: “Great. Here’s your character sheet.”

Manny: “Kewl! Wait a second. There’s only one stat! What the f**k? ‘Means?’”

John: “Yes. It’s not really a stat, per se. It’s where you write the means your character uses to destroy the world.”

Manny: “Like what?”

John: “Like anything. You could have dark magics, or a big gun, or..”

Manny: “A big gun. I want a big gun. In space. On a space station. And all I have to do is push a button.”

John: “Okay, write it down.”

Manny: “Kewl! Big…..gun…..in…..space. Got it. Done.”

John: “Okay. Let’s play…. You are on your space station, standing next to the button that destroys the world. What do you do?”

Manny: “I DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!!”

John: “Okay! You win!”

Manny: “What?”

John: “You win the game, dude. Congratulations!”

Manny: “Oh my God. I… won. I actually won.”

John: “Was it everything you thought it would be?”

Manny: “HELL YES!!! I WON!!! I’ve wanted this for years!!! I’ve been waiting and dreaming for this day! Thank you, John! You’re teh best GM evar!!1!”

John shrugs: “Hey, I do what I can.”

Manny dances around the room in glee for 10 full minutes.

John: “Wanna play another game?”

Manny: “YEAH!!!”

John: “Okay, just erase the old Means and write in a new one.”

Manny: “No way! I’m keeping this character sheet in my files! My first win! Give me a new sheet!”

John: “Here ya go. What’s your new Means?”

Manny: “Um, dark magic ritual.”

John: “Got it written down? Good. So, you are standing in your magic circle with all your ritual materials. What do you…”

Manny: “I DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!”

John: “Cool! Another win!”

Manny: “BOO-YAH!!!”

John: “Another game?”

Manny: “HELL YEAH!!!”

Fifteen games later…

John: “Okay, another win!”

Manny sits at the table, quietly weeping tears of joy: “… I’m so happy. So very happy…”

John: “So, I take it you give my game a good review?”

Manny: “ Yeah, man. Absolutely…”

John: “Cool, because I have another game in mind. Sort of a thematic follow-up to…”

Manny: “NO!! Any game you run that uses words like ‘theme’ or ‘mood’ always sucks! No offense, dude.”

John shrugs, “Hear me out. It’s called 'I Destroy The Universe And All The Chicks Dig Me For It: The Roleplaying Game,’ Think maybe you want to play it?”

Manny: “HELL YEAH, I WANNA PLAY!!!!”

Manny?! omg! you know Manny the Munchkin?
I swear I've played that game with that guy before. lmao.
that was great man.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

*takes a small bow*
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Quit making fun of me.

Manny

Return to “G.M.s Forum”