Parry rules

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

Parry rules

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

In light of Green Ghost's parry question... in that same group we do have a bit of disagreement of parry i was just wondering what some of other gm's rules on parrying is... it just seems in our group no body dodges and they just parry which just seems impossable( espassially against gunes and long range weapons) so how about them house rules
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

you cannot parry at all or witha huge negitive?
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

RMB p36, Parry just doesn't happen for bullets and energy blasts.

RUE p327 WP Shield offers a way to block energy blasts and bullets but it ain't pretty.

RUE p346 reiterates that parrying energy blasts and bullets just doesnt happen (as a rule)
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
burgler81
Explorer

Unread post by burgler81 »

If I remember right the only thing you can parry energy blasts with is rune weapons and that is with a penelty.
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

so how does your players react to these rules
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

so how does your players react to these rules
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

so how does your guy's group like these rules?
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

there ia also the spell magic shield and the magic spell lightblade and the spells deflect and targeted deflection.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Sure you can parry one person or one attacker, but I generally rule that if you have more attackers than you have appendages then you should probably dodge. Rolling once v everyone else's attack roll . So if you crit fumble your dodge then you will be :shock: if you nat 20 it then :D . Also you can't parry a nuke
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

in the fantasy game i run i dont let them parry melee attacks from creatures a lot bigger or stronger than they are, and only people with shields can parry missile attacks of any kind. aside from getting out of the way of giant sized melee weapons dodging is used a lot to escape a hand to hand fight and use a potion or whatever...
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

sorry for the repitive post..... but how many attacks can one person parry per turn.. i thought it was only one parry per weapon so if you have two swords you can parry.. or parry with one and attack with the other or attack with both right.. but you can just keep on parring mutiple enimes right? what the book rules and what your house rules
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Palladium combat is back-and-forth to keep things simple, which can cut down the usefulness of dodge. I can dodge to create distance or to improve my fighting position against an attacker. The rules do not care whether I just moved in a way to lose an attack or to cause my attacker to lose an attack, or at least the initiative.

Hand to hand training makes parry a free action. If you can see a melee attack, then you can parry it. Then pile on whatever complexity you want.
KillWatch
Champion

I generally rule that you can parry a number of times equal to your number of actions per melee. So if ou have 5 attacks and are facign soemone with 15 attacks you are not going to parry all of them.
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
t0m
Adventurer

Unread post by t0m »

yeah im pretty sure in the palladium fantasy rules it states that you can auto parry any attack in your line of sight, up to your number of attacks/actions.

in one fight we had against a typical huge lumbering monster, the guy with the most attacks was the bait, and he kept on dodging the creature right into the trap the rest of the group had set up. this is one of the best uses of dodge i have seen as it went very fluidly (lucky dice). in regular combat its not so usefull unless you have to do it (to take a potion or evade a giant sized attack/missle attack).
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

If I remember correctly from what I've read recently from the RMB, RUE, and GMG...Only beings with enhanced speed, reflexes and agility are able to parry energy blasts and gun fire naturally and only those beings with specific training to parry attacks like energy blasts and such. Examples of beings with natural speed and reflexes would be something that is a juicer or crazy equivilent (demi-gods, godlings, dragons and such don't count). Juicers and crazys are basically always in a sort of "bullet time" type of state which allows them to be able to parry attacks of those speeds. Cyborgs if I remember correctly don't get to parry unless they have some more advanced systems like the friend or foe ID comp or a combat computer of some kind as well as enhanced vision and speed (multi-optic eyes and just augmented speed.)

The house rules I use don't allow you to parry energy blasts unless your either trained like a samurai or are naturally enhanced like a juicer and even then you have to be able to see the attack initiate or know where they are coming from, because I don't know about you but even with training I don't think you'd be able to see a bullet travelling at you at around 600-800 mph. Then I use the rules from Manhunter (i think thats where its at but i can't remember) and make the range that your able to dodge or parry projectiles at 400 ft and greater...anything closer than that and there's no way you can anticipate the trajectory of the projectile or energy beam aimed at you. Dodges can't take place unless you have something like sixth sense or zanshin or a speed greater than 100 within 400 ft and parry is impossible unless you have sixth sense or zanshin and a PP of 25+ and a speed of 100+.

Just my 2 cents...
KillWatch
Champion

The thing is, is that we are assuming (hopefully) you are ready with a shield or shield like object. If not then the parry doesn't matter. You get hit iwth a laster in your arm it's still a hit
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

I would think that, depending on the situation, a character could parry an opponent weilding a knife with their bare hands if the target of the parry wasn't the weapon itself, but the attacker's forearm. :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

When it comes to trying to parry a sword attack with your bare hands by parrying the forearm of your attacker would mainly depend on the attacker's position. Someone weilding a sword can position themselves back enough that their oponent can't reach their forearm, but if they are close enough- I can see the forearm parry working for that situation as well :)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
t0m
Adventurer

Unread post by t0m »

if i recal correctly (no books infront of me) using paired weapons negates your auto-parry and it costs an action.

you are correct. every paired move costs one attack and takes away your auto parry ability.

When it comes to trying to parry a sword attack with your bare hands by parrying the forearm of your attacker would mainly depend on the attacker's position. Someone weilding a sword can position themselves back enough that their oponent can't reach their forearm, but if they are close enough- I can see the forearm parry working for that situation as well

anyone with a bit of combat training (in real life) can close the gap pretty easily. whether you successfully parry the attack without coming into contact with the weapon is a different story, but its really not that hard to move into position. in game an unarmed character versus a weapon in melee (knife, gun to head etc) should be focusing on the disarm move instead of parrying.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

t0m wrote:whether you successfully parry the attack without coming into contact with the weapon is a different story

That would be a failed Parry roll ;)

Return to “G.M.s Forum”