Palladium Books - Press Release - May 8, 2003

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

asajosh wrote:
Warwolf wrote:
asajosh wrote:<watches the tumble weed drift by>
Any news, good bad or ugly?

The last that was said publicly was that the option had been extended.

I can't talk about what else I know, but I promise it's good news. :)

Very well, I'll give it another year from this post.

Well, since I posted that, the good news has dead-ended. What I knew was that Kevin had been approached to potentially write the script, but a deal could not be reached. Thus, it's back to the waiting game. :-?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

bob the desolate one wrote:why not do a fan contest let evreyone submit the script and if they win put their name in the credits give them a goodie grab bag books shirts etc. and put there charecter as a n.p.c. ina a upcoming book BAM! free screen play

Palladium is not producing it though, so they have no control over any of this.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

I coulda swore that I read here that there was a first draft script in hand and details were being worked out... Is my memory going buggy or was this just a rumor?
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

TY for the info Darstone. I'll continue to wait and dream. I wonder which will happen first: Concrete info for a green lighted Rifts movie or Spore getting released? :D
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

who knows, maybe if another movie about giant robots kicking arse does well this summer, maybe Mr. B will get the notion that another one set in the distant future with added magic and dinosaurs and ninja's could do well as well.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

fine i'll go see that dumb ass transformers movie... sigh.. only giant robots i don't like.
Makes me wonder, there wont be a whole lotta room for commercial endorsement on camera with a rifts movie (like a certain transformer morphing into a certain "fruity"mp3 player). Hope this doesn't hamper the deal, and I dont wanna see "The CS Army, Brought to you by Pepsi!" :P
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

::Darkstone:: wrote:
asajosh wrote:fine i'll go see that dumb ass transformers movie... sigh.. only giant robots i don't like.
Makes me wonder, there wont be a whole lotta room for commercial endorsement on camera with a rifts movie (like a certain transformer morphing into a certain "fruity"mp3 player). Hope this doesn't hamper the deal, and I dont wanna see "The CS Army, Brought to you by Pepsi!" :P

Are you kidding me? Imagine coke signs, the Golden arches sticking out of the ground....hell, the remnants of a Mobile gas station could be fit in there. There really is a lot of room for some creative product placement....

Ya we've gone over this in my group. I think most people fail to grasp the scope of destruction here. There would be NOTHING left. Whatever wasn't washed into the ocean or otherwise destroyed would have been reused, recycled, broken down 100 times over... I have an example.
On the south west coast of florida there is a sub development that never went. Imagine a neighborhood for 400 single family homes. all the streets are paved, all signs in place everything. Then the construction company goes bankrupt and no one buys lots there (like 1 out of 30 sell). After 20 years of nothing but Florida weather and disuse: Half f the roads have disappeared under a thin layer of grass, honest to god trees are starting to grow in the middle of intersections, its nuts. It looks like a post apocalyptic scene, then you turn the corner and there is someone lifing in a nice house on a well kept yard.
My point, for those still reading, is that the cataclysm is so total, virtually nothing of the world we know today exists in the world of rifts.
Heh, this is Rifts, not a "Postman" RPG :)
Carl

Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

asajosh wrote:My point, for those still reading, is that the cataclysm is so total, virtually nothing of the world we know today exists in the world of rifts.
Heh, this is Rifts, not a "Postman" RPG :)

I think what you may be failing to grasp is that the technology (some of it MD) was much higher during the cataclysm, thus certain buildings and things would be more survivable. Even without it (not like everyday objects would have been MD), take a look at the stuff that gets dug up all the time, especially from old battlefields and trash pits. In short, it is quite conceivable that artifacts would survive the cataclysm (hence their worth and existence being talked about in the main book's black market and in the Legacy Scout's description in Dinosaur Swamp). :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Not total destruction, but all those materials strewn about would certainly have been reused/recycled in 200+ years. And somehow I find it difficult to see MD billboards :D Buildings yes, but very few other large things. Doesn't chaos earth say that MD concrete (for buildings) was relatively new before the cataclysm? I suppose MD metals for vehicles, armor, robots and such is a more developed technology.

Don't have Dinosaur Swamp yet, but living in Florida im dying to pick it up! :wink:

I realize he movie won't be canon, and I resign myself to the fact that there probobly will be commercial tie-ins (like everything else), but i dont hafta like it. :-(
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

On a scale of 1-10, pompeii is a 4 and the great cataclysm is a 10.
Besides, Pompeii didn't have waves of desperate humans scavenging thru its nor monsterous hordes :)
And as long as we're pulling out Romans, how bout that Colusseum? The way it looks today.. Well imagine this: It only took 40 years of disrepeair and a little human scavenging to get to looking that way after being in perfect condition for about 400 years (I think).

EDIT: If it'll get Rifts on the screen, I'll turn a blind eye to some ads, as long as their not terribly overt.
Last edited by asajosh on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0706 ... ient_melon

2000 year old melon . . . and we all know it would take more than the apocalypse to destory a twinky :-D
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

When it comes to volcanoes, I think Krakatoa. The explosion heard and felt some 8000 miles away. :D

Gotta be able to recycle MD materials, where does all that armor come from? Lot easier to break down whatcha got lying around rather then remake it :)
Carl

Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Display-Name-Alpha »

lawl... the last press release was in 03... we will never see a movie... they should just tell us that no one will touch it.
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Ohcheeseyone wrote:lawl... the last press release was in 03... we will never see a movie... they should just tell us that no one will touch it.

I'm sure as soon as Bruckheimer stops renewing the option either to proceed with the film or let the option go Palladium will let everyone know, but as long as Mr. Bruckheimer and Disney send a nice check every 12-18 months to renew the option there is always hope.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly

Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:lawl... the last press release was in 03... we will never see a movie... they should just tell us that no one will touch it.

I'm sure as soon as Bruckheimer stops renewing the option either to proceed with the film or let the option go Palladium will let everyone know, but as long as Mr. Bruckheimer and Disney send a nice check every 12-18 months to renew the option there is always hope.

Actually I think its one of those "how can we turn something that only a small fraction of people in the WORLD know about, and make it interesting enough to draw the non fans in without dissappointing the faithfuls."

Dungeons and Dragons failed miserably. And lets face it... Palladiums got a big fan base... but not in the movie genre...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0819843/ the title is already taken by another movie (albeit something ive never heard of) so that could be a problem there as well. Too many variables and not enough results for me to be hopeful. Bruckheimer is a great director... but I think hes having trouble swollowing this one.
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Ohcheeseyone wrote:
Maryann wrote:

Actually I think its one of those "how can we turn something that only a small fraction of people in the WORLD know about, and make it interesting enough to draw the non fans in without dissappointing the faithfuls."

Dungeons and Dragons failed miserably. And lets face it... Palladiums got a big fan base... but not in the movie genre...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0819843/ the title is already taken by another movie (albeit something ive never heard of) so that could be a problem there as well. Too many variables and not enough results for me to be hopeful. Bruckheimer is a great director... but I think hes having trouble swollowing this one.

Actually he's the producer. He's not trying to attract the fan base from Palladium, he's looking at the story and the background, not the fact that it was a game.

Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:
Maryann wrote:

Actually he's the producer. He's not trying to attract the fan base from Palladium, he's looking at the story and the background, not the fact that it was a game.

But in looking at the story and the background... 90% of the people who play palladium games, will go see it.. hands down. But thats like 1% of the target audience... so story and background are going to be important.

Return to “Rifts® Movie”