Quick Parry Question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GreenGhost
Adventurer

Quick Parry Question

Unread post by GreenGhost »

During my last PF game I had a player that wanted to parry a 8 lb. sledge hammer with a knife. The character, who wanted to parry with his knife, had a better strength than the attacker (by about 3 points), but I still ruled that he wasn't able to do so. The player had a legit arguement by saying that he had a bonus to parry with a knife. My opinion was that even though the character had the ability to parry with the knife- he had the weight and velocity of a heavier object to parry. The knife blade is about 7 inches long.

My question is whether or not other GMs out there would let their players be successful at this? I like more realism in the games that I GM and think that I was justified in my "call," but wanted to see what others thought about it.

Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

just depends on how you see it. Logically if the sledge is coming down there is no way a knife is going to be able to parry it. But should the knife weilder intercept the attacker before he gets to the down arc of his swing, I can see a parry.

I'm never in "you can't do that" camp. I play along "well lets imagine how you can do that" easier on the rules, I've found.

Plus you start bringing up complicated rules questions for the system, and in addition you see an upswing in Vibro-Sledgehammer sales :P
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
GreenGhost
Adventurer

I'm the same way when it comes to giving the player a chance, but in this situation the player was attacked with the sledgehammer coming from above. Even a side swing wouldn't be able to be blocked by a knife, but I would give the character some sort of chance to use the knife to protect himself :)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Lucky wrote:I would have allowed it, but with a difficulty penalty. I have seen a black belt kung-fu instructor parry a baseball bat with an ink pen once, so I know it is possible.

But I wouldn't make it easy.

That's true, but this guy is 1st level :D Far from a Black belt in anything.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

CaptRory wrote:I'd allow it.

The two rules I try and GM by:

Keep it Simple

Keep it Fun

I understand that, but I use a little realism in my games :)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Lucky wrote:Not just simply raising the knife to block the sledgehammer, that would be stupid.

That's what I was thinking.

But it is more than plausible a person would be able to use the knife to deflect the hammer off-course, and sidestep so that the blow doesn't land. Hell, I can probably do that, and I'm only a grey belt in mc-slap semper-fu.

Grey Belt- Nice :ok: I'm looking for a DVD about the MCMAP. That wasn't being used back when I was enlisted :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Lucky wrote:Trust me, line-training was probably 100% more effective.

MCMAP is very watered-down, and less about killing/mutilating and instead more about nonlethal restraint, counters to chokes/holds and ground fighting. Compared to line training videos I've seen, MCMAP is a joke.

...It does however provide a solid foundation for those who wish to take it to the next level.

Seriously? I didn't expect that :eek:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Lucky wrote:MCMAP is broken down into three basic tenets:

1) Syllabi (the actual techniques)
2) Conditioning Exercises
3) Guided discussion

Each belt (from tan, to grey, to green, to brown, to black) builds on the previous level. Tan belt teaches the basic fundamentals, like angles of movement, break-falls, basic blocking and striking, and basic principles of throws (entry, off-balance, execution).

Each belt you go up teaches you more techniques, building on those basic fundamentals. What's good about this program is that once you become proficient in the fundamentals, you can adapt the techniques to different situations. It's a very flexible program, much like MMA.

The CCDs and CCEs (Combat Conditioning Drills/Exercises) are the bag drills, buddy drags, etc. designed to break you off and keep you in good fighting shape.

The Guided Discussion is something that must be entirely new for you, because instead of just getting out there and getting some, MCMAP instructors must now teach students about Core Values, and other issues like domestic violence, sexual harrassment, etc. in addition to the actual MA instruction.

And of course, other lessons include the continuum of force (force escalation) and proper use of force. So now instead of just turning Marines into killing machines, the Corps is teaching them when and how to apply what they have learned. This means (hopefully) no more drunken Marines snapping necks in bar brawls.

Also with the addition of the belt system, Marines are now instructed according to rank and the corresponding level of maturity and responsibility that goes with that rank. For example: Nonrates (E-3 and below) can only be instructed up to green belt. E-4's may learn brown, and Sgts and up are eligible to be trained in black belt techniques.

NOTE: Because of the implied maturity, a MCMAP green belt is considered to be a "lethal weapon" and can face stiffer charges and penalties if involved in an altercation while out in public.

The Colored belt system was proposed by General Krulak (I think) and was introduced in 1996, after it was observed that the South Koreans were conducting similar training.

Like you said- we did the good 'ol line training, but I still would like to have learned the MCMAP as well :) Have you heard of a MCMAP CD out there anywhere?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

That's all I've been able to find here too.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Just say that the character slams his daggering into the handle of the sledgehammer on its backswing, and that is how he was able to parry.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Lucky wrote:Not really. It is a bunch of different things, mixed together. You have some judo-type throws, some jiu-jitsu-type chokes and holds, some karate-type strikes and blocks, some grappling, some knee and elbow strikes, etc.

I would consider it a watered-down MMA, not any one form in particular. But we learn it as one "form," which is MCMAP.

Hey man- we should come up with a Hand to Hand style that's a combination of MCMAP and good 'ol Line Training for a Marine OCC. Then again- I was never very impressed with the Marine OCC in Rifts Underseas :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

I think you ruled it just fine it just that bill is a fisher and a complianer you did fine remember GM is god so put down the law... lol
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Yea, that is the truth.

Someone tried to say that moving your head out of the way of a punch was a dodge, not a parry.

A dodge is movement sufficient enough to use up an attack... moving your head a few centimeters is not movement sufficient enough to use up an attack.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Yea, it can get complex fast in game terms.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”